HEIDI NICOLE PRESTON: Murdered and dumped in the Waccamaw River in Conway, SC - Age 15

1602113645008.png

Heidi Nicole Preston last seen at the Southern Comfort Saloon on Highway 544 on August 29th, 1987. Her body was found floating in the Waccamaw River near Lee's Landing the following day. She had been struck with an instrument in the back of the head.

added media link: WHO KILLED HEIDI PRESTON in 1987? Her family is gone. Is there anyone who is still trying to get justice for Heidi? #SouthCarolina

Last edited by a moderator:

File # 92-335 Case # 9726629 (Open) Victim: Heidi Nicole Preston

The Horry County Police Department responded to a female being located in the Waccamaw River on August 30th, 1987. The cause of her death was a physical assault. The victim was last seen at the Southern Comfort Saloon on Highway 544 on August 29th, 1987. She was identified as Heidi Nicole Preston age fourteen. The victim was living with her sister in the Myrtle Beach section of Horry County, South Carolina.

1588053982843.png

Birth: 15 Sep 1971
Death: 29 Aug 1987 (aged 15)
South Carolina, USA
Burial: Sharon Memorial Park
Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, USA
Plot: Section 30
Memorial ID: 124780281

-Daughter of Norm and June Preston. Resident of Raleigh, NC at the time of her death. She was 15 years old.

Heidi's mother

1588054176737.png

June Preston
Birth : 1 Jan 1947
Schenectady, Schenectady County, New York, USA
Death: 6 May 2006 (aged 59)
Conyers, Rockdale County, Georgia, USA
Burial: Sharon Memorial Park
Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, USA
Memorial ID: 14244968

June Preston, 59, of Conyers, Ga., and formerly of Charlotte, N.C., died Saturday, May 6, 2006 at her home. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, May 11, 2006 at McEwen Mint Hill Chapel with the Rev. Mark Graham officiating. Interment will follow at Sharon Memorial Park. The family will greet friends for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home. Ms. Preston was born January 1, 1947 in Schenectady, N.Y. She was a graduate of Radford College and upon graduation she began a long and distinguished career in the news industry. June formerly worked with Reuters and UPI, and most recently she was a Senior Editor for CNN International in Atlanta. Ms. Preston was preceded in death by her daughter, Heidi Preston. She is survived by her husband, Norm; son and daughter-in-law, Byron and Kathy Preston and their daughter, Nora, all of New York; mother, Nora Jones of Roanoke, Va.; sisters, Deborah McIndoe of Tampa, Fla. and Patricia Hallman of Albemarle, N.C. Condolences to the family may be made at www.mem.com. In lieu of flowers, memorial may be made to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Donor Services, P.O. Box 4072, Pittsfield, Mass. 01202. Arrangements by McEwen Mint Hill Chapel (704) 545-4864.

Heidi Nicole Preston last seen at the Southern Comfort Saloon on Highway 544 on August 29th, 1987.

YyEqgWC.jpg

1588054511816.png

Waccamaw River, South Carolina

1588054634717.png 1588054652294.png

The Waccamaw River is a river, approximately 140 miles long, in southeastern North Carolina and eastern South Carolina in the United States. It drains an area of approximately 1,110 square miles in the coastal plain along the eastern border between the two states into the Atlantic Ocean. Wikipedia

Heidi was a free spirit... She had went to Myrtle beach with some older friends who were part of a biker group. She wasn't a run away either. Her mom knew where she was....didn't approve but Heidi would have gone regardless.
Heidi had a brother, Byron but no other siblings.. . I was only 13 when this happened. I never knew about the guy who kidnapped the witness until I read the article. I'll jog my memory and try to let yall know more. Also , I'll share a photo of Heidi later today.
If anyone knows anymore, please share with me.

Wow. One of the articles I see said that she was living with her sister. Do you know who she was living with?
Her mom's obituary also mentions another daughter...?

Anything you can share with us?
WELCOME!

I thought that in the obituary too so it is odd that because I thought she had a sister, as I read, I thought I read that in the obituary as well. If you reread it (unless I am wrong which is possible), it does not say anything about another daughter. If you mean the June Preston one above. But again, I honestly thought it said that as well.

I thought that in the obituary too so it is odd that because I thought she had a sister, as I read, I thought I read that in the obituary as well. If you reread it (unless I am wrong which is possible), it does not say anything about another daughter. If you mean the June Preston one above. But again, I honestly thought it said that as well.
Well I definitely read that wrong!
Oh.. we always believed the **sister** was a friend of portrayed herself as family to have more info and so they would not get legal trouble for Heidi being underage
Gotcha, that makes sense!

I tried to find more about this case online but there really isn't much at all. :( This Russell Singleton fellow sounds interesting (scary), though.

I wish I had more information about the case myself. Her mother , brother, biological father,grandparents, my mom,which was her Aunt have all passed away now. Of course, none one was ever the same again. Her mom, was basically crazy afterwards. No o e really talked about it. Pain was too deep, I reckon
I dont understand why that guy was never charged in her murder..I'm hoping someone knows more then I do.

Heidi was a free spirit... She had went to Myrtle beach with some older friends who were part of a biker group. She wasn't a run away either. Her mom knew where she was....didn't approve but Heidi would have gone regardless.
Heidi had a brother, Byron but no other siblings.. . I was only 13 when this happened. I never knew about the guy who kidnapped the witness until I read the article. I'll jog my memory and try to let yall know more. Also , I'll share a photo of Heidi later today.
If anyone knows anymore, please share with me.
Hi!
I was good friends with Heidi until we moved and lost contact. We attended North Clayton Jr. High in College Park, GA together in the 8th grade. We had some wild adventures! She certainly was not one to follow rules or be still. I remember Byron being the younger, but wiser & more mature sibling.

I remember she told me her dad lived in New York- but don’t know if he had any contact. She didn’t speak of him much.

Their Mom wasn’t around much, I believe she worked for CNN at the time. They were left alone for days, if not weeks at a time. Very little food and trash waist deep throughout their tiny apartment. Often, when their mom would return- Heidi would runaway.
Anyhow, years later when MySpace came about I started searching for her. I was surprised I couldn’t find her and kept digging- eventually finding the article of her horrific demise. Then, I found Byron on MySpace and when I went to his page I found tons of condolences because he had recently passed. I was able to connect with his wife brieflyShe was kind enough to put me in touch with a friend of his, but he didn’t know a lot about Heidi- I think it is like you said that no one could talk about it.

I’m so sorry for all the loss you’ve experienced. She didn’t deserve this at all! She was kind, and fun, and sad, and lovely. She chased happy and was always looking for the next thing and some creep saw that and exploited her naïveté and did that! Really pisses me off!

I’ve never seen that article about Singleton before. I wonder if he’s the guy? I wonder if they’ve kept any DNA? Have you been in touch with the investigator for her case at all?

Take Care!

It seems likely that the guy in prison who kidnapped the witness is the perp in Heidi's case. While there is no conviction for her, at least he is behind bars for life plus (assuming that means life these days).

I do not entirely understand though where it says he threatened a state's witness in a murder case. Did the woman actually testify at a grand jury or preliminary or did she just provide info to the cops as they were investigating the murder? I guess I mean did they have a case then and were ready to bring one against him or close to it for Heidi and if so, why has that not yet been done?

It sounds like she was a fun and lively girl who did not have an easy life perhaps. I note her mom died fairly young (per the obit) and her brother must have been not that old either when he passed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back