HEIDI NICOLE PRESTON: Murdered and dumped in the Waccamaw River in Conway, SC - Age 15

1602113645008.png

Heidi Nicole Preston last seen at the Southern Comfort Saloon on Highway 544 on August 29th, 1987. Her body was found floating in the Waccamaw River near Lee's Landing the following day. She had been struck with an instrument in the back of the head.

added media link: WHO KILLED HEIDI PRESTON in 1987? Her family is gone. Is there anyone who is still trying to get justice for Heidi? #SouthCarolina

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
I was good friends with Heidi until we moved and lost contact. We attended North Clayton Jr. High in College Park, GA together in the 8th grade. We had some wild adventures! She certainly was not one to follow rules or be still. I remember Byron being the younger, but wiser & more mature sibling.

I remember she told me her dad lived in New York- but don’t know if he had any contact. She didn’t speak of him much.

Their Mom wasn’t around much, I believe she worked for CNN at the time. They were left alone for days, if not weeks at a time. Very little food and trash waist deep throughout their tiny apartment. Often, when their mom would return- Heidi would runaway.
Anyhow, years later when MySpace came about I started searching for her. I was surprised I couldn’t find her and kept digging- eventually finding the article of her horrific demise. Then, I found Byron on MySpace and when I went to his page I found tons of condolences because he had recently passed. I was able to connect with his wife brieflyShe was kind enough to put me in touch with a friend of his, but he didn’t know a lot about Heidi- I think it is like you said that no one could talk about it.

I’m so sorry for all the loss you’ve experienced. She didn’t deserve this at all! She was kind, and fun, and sad, and lovely. She chased happy and was always looking for the next thing and some creep saw that and exploited her naïveté and did that! Really pisses me off!

I’ve never seen that article about Singleton before. I wonder if he’s the guy? I wonder if they’ve kept any DNA? Have you been in touch with the investigator for her case at all?

Take Care!
:welcome: I’m sorry to meet you under such sad circumstances! I missed her cousin when she came by and I hope she comes back and is able to answer your questions.

With most of her immediate family gone, I wonder if anyone is following up on her case with the detectives?

:welcome: I’m sorry to meet you under such sad circumstances! I missed her cousin when she came by and I hope she comes back and is able to answer your questions.

With most of her immediate family gone, I wonder if anyone is following up on her case with the detectives?
I’ve wondered for so many years if anyone was advocating for her justice, too. It is so heartbreaking.

Hi!
I was good friends with Heidi until we moved and lost contact. We attended North Clayton Jr. High in College Park, GA together in the 8th grade. We had some wild adventures! She certainly was not one to follow rules or be still. I remember Byron being the younger, but wiser & more mature sibling.

I remember she told me her dad lived in New York- but don’t know if he had any contact. She didn’t speak of him much.

Their Mom wasn’t around much, I believe she worked for CNN at the time. They were left alone for days, if not weeks at a time. Very little food and trash waist deep throughout their tiny apartment. Often, when their mom would return- Heidi would runaway.
Anyhow, years later when MySpace came about I started searching for her. I was surprised I couldn’t find her and kept digging- eventually finding the article of her horrific demise. Then, I found Byron on MySpace and when I went to his page I found tons of condolences because he had recently passed. I was able to connect with his wife brieflyShe was kind enough to put me in touch with a friend of his, but he didn’t know a lot about Heidi- I think it is like you said that no one could talk about it.

I’m so sorry for all the loss you’ve experienced. She didn’t deserve this at all! She was kind, and fun, and sad, and lovely. She chased happy and was always looking for the next thing and some creep saw that and exploited her naïveté and did that! Really pisses me off!

I’ve never seen that article about Singleton before. I wonder if he’s the guy? I wonder if they’ve kept any DNA? Have you been in touch with the investigator for her case at all?

Take Care!
@Marmar95 Not sure if you saw this post, but this member does have questions. Thanks for checking in!

Hi!

Take Care!
Please reach out to me

I'm trying..so many loops to jump and no one seems to really care. Lots of time Law enforcement officials seem to brush me off
Hi, I just saw this case, I am new to this forum. I live in Horry County. My personal opinion is that Russell Singleton is believed to be the one to have killed Heidi, he received life plus time for what he did to the woman that survived (witness) so there is no need to charge him with her murder. Is her case still open, and if so that makes me wonder if he is the suspect in Heidi's case.

Hi, I just saw this case, I am new to this forum. I live in Horry County. My personal opinion is that Russell Singleton is believed to be the one to have killed Heidi, he received life plus time for what he did to the woman that survived (witness) so there is no need to charge him with her murder. Is her case still open, and if so that makes me wonder if he is the suspect in Heidi's case.
According to the article of his victims statement he raped and threatened her about keeping talking about him killing Heidi and she would end up in the river too. He was said to be the person leaving the Saloon with Heidi the night she was killed. I really wonder why she was allowed in a bar in the first place. I don't blame her. If I could have gotten away with it at 14 I would have done it. I blame who allowed it. If they didn't, I think she would be alive now.

At least we know he’s serving time and not able to prey on others.

I have been researching his criminal record and it seems that on 8/30/86 he was charged with assault and battery with intent to kill. I don't know the details just that bit of info.
I wonder if he raped Heidi and any dna he may have left was taken away by the river.

Heidi was my cousin.... so much about investigation is not true. Heidi never had a sister....
Hello Marmar95,
Can you explain about parts of the investigation that aren't true? There is not much on the internet about her case. I just find it weird that they have her case listed as an unsolved homicide, but yet Russell Singleton is mentioned because he committed those crimes against a state witness in Heidi's death, for which he was convicted. This woman was going to testify that she saw them leave the bar together or at the same time. This makes me think the state had a case in the making against him for Heidi's death.
Do you possibly remember any details as to where on the SR 544 the Southern Comfort Saloon was located, the bar might still be there, but the name is not coming up in a google search.

Hello Marmar95,
Can you explain about parts of the investigation that aren't true? There is not much on the internet about her case. I just find it weird that they have her case listed as an unsolved homicide, but yet Russell Singleton is mentioned because he committed those crimes against a state witness in Heidi's death, for which he was convicted. This woman was going to testify that she saw them leave the bar together or at the same time. This makes me think the state had a case in the making against him for Heidi's death.
Do you possibly remember any details as to where on the SR 544 the Southern Comfort Saloon was located, the bar might still be there, but the name is not coming up in a google search.
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply
I would love to speak with you about Heidi
Christine Anderson
..I live in North Carolina. Near Charlotte..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seminary
Back