NANCY & JOEY BOCHICCHIO: Mother & daughter shot at Town Center mall, FL - 12 Dec 2007

1580703237639.png

2007 Boca Raton mall murders: Watch what police have to say

The slayings of Nancy Bochicchio, 47, and her daughter, Joey Bochicchio-Hauser, 7, shocked the community and drew national attention. They were found bound and shot in an SUV in the parking lot of the Town Center mall shortly before midnight Dec. 12, 2007.

Boca Raton police, in an interview with the Sun Sentinel and a video released Tuesday, are updating the public on what’s known about the Bochicchios’ case and a separate kidnapping likely carried out by the same man.

As the 10-year anniversary nears, finding the killer remains a high priority.

“We’re still working this. We’re going to continue to work this,” says Police Capt. Matthew Duggan, whose agency has combed through more than 2,000 leads. “And if you know something, please come forward.”

According to police’s timeline:

— About 2 p.m., Nancy and Joey entered the mall.
— At 3:11 p.m., they’re seen on surveillance video leaving the mall from the Sears entrance.
— At 3:14 p.m., there was a call from Nancy Bochicchio’s phone to 911, but it immediately hung up. A dispatcher called back within a minute but got no answer.
— At 3:19 p.m., Bochicchio is seen on video surveillance withdrawing money from an ATM right by the mall. “She’s seen taking the money out, and there appear to be people in the back seat of the car,” Duggan says.

Police determined that right after the money was withdrawn, the SUV was back at the mall, with the engine running. Later that night, a mall security guard noticed Bochicchio’s black 2007 Chrysler Aspen parked near the south side of Sears at the mall.

Officers found Nancy and Joey dead, both of them with single gunshot wounds to their heads. “It was apparent to us that they had been, what amounted to, executed in the rear of the vehicle,” Duggan said.

“What was unique about the case is it appeared that they had been bound in a pretty unique manner,” he said. The restraints included handcuffs, zip ties and goggles.

Boca Raton police instantly saw similarities to a kidnapping case that happened at the mall months earlier. “We immediately knew that there were definitely links between that case and the August case,” Duggan says.

New images released in Town Center killings as 10-year anniversary nears

Almost 10 years after a mother and daughter were found dead in the parking lot of a Boca Raton mall, police have released new images in hopes of finding their killer.

No one has been arrested, but Boca Raton police believe the killings are linked to an August 2007 carjacking in which the victim survived.

"She indicated that she had been abducted, as she left the mall, at gunpoint, driven to a bank in the area, forced to withdraw money, taken to a secondary location, where she was tied up again in a different manner with some unique features to the way she was restrained," Capt. Matthew Duggan said in the video.

The victim provided information that led to a sketch of the man believed to be responsible.

Duggan said there were "definitive links" between the two incidents. He said the abductor placed goggles over the women's eyes.

1580703873581.png

1580703888868.png

This case is believed to be connected to at least two others.

In March 2007, Randi Gorenberg was also abducted from the mall and murdered.

In August 2007, an unnamed woman and her son were abducted from the mall, but thankfully not harmed.

And then of course, in December 2007, Nancy & Joey were abducted from the mall and murdered.

This is a really good summary of the cases and their believed connections.

Interesting article. The goggles are certainly unusual. I have to wonder why one woman and child were killed and the other woman and child were not. I wonder if they felt the one pair saw them or could identify them...? Did the killer/kidnappers know about the lack of security in areas at the mall?

The third case does seem a bit different with a definite focus on the son and his friends and the father sounds like no great gem either. They certainly could be related though. Interesting they managed to get other charges on each but both were dismissed...? High powered lawyers/money maybe?

Pawn shop (jewelry exchange) video was gone, convenient or too late anyhow... That is a ton of incidents at one mall for overall crime... It was three years before they asked the public for help identifying the type of goggles! Maybe sooner would have found another retailer or even some type of reseller/sale that occurred or records...

These motorcycle goggles definitely are odd and apparently not common. So is it odd for a robbery they call the way they were bound and such ritualistic almost. I know it said the Reddit user found one place that sold these in California, I would wonder about California connections... The Kushner guy they managed to keep the cops away from by putting him in rehab in California. Not sure that means anything but they were to Cali things I noticed... And rehab/whisked him away, again high powered lawyers and/or money, the charges dismissed with the father and son, etc....? Of course again, they did not look further into the goggles or so it seems until 2010.

I wonder (someone probably did) if anyone checked Ebay and such for sales of goggles like this...

Can you imagine being the woman with the child who survived such a thing and then being accused of lying by the police?? Having to take a polygraph?

It takes someone pretty cold to kill a woman and child in what is just a robbery otherwise...

The reward in this case is one of the highest I have seen offered...

Crap. That article was a good one, but this is actually the one that I MEANT to link...

I wonder if they felt the one pair saw them or could identify them...? Did the killer/kidnappers know about the lack of security in areas at the mall?
It said that he probably killed Randi because she didn't have a debit card. He was kidnapping people, driving them to the ATM to use their card, and taking the money. She didn't have one. He probably didn't believe her and got angry. They also think she tried to get out of the vehicle.
It is also believed that Nancy fought back to protect herself and her daughter. There was evidence of a struggle (broken handcuffs).

The third case does seem a bit different with a definite focus on the son and his friends and the father sounds like no great gem either. They certainly could be related though. Interesting they managed to get other charges on each but both were dismissed...? High powered lawyers/money maybe?
Yeah... based on all of the details there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that these cases are all connected. So with this hyper-focus on certain people in the Gorenberg case, what does that mean for the other two? BUT again, if it was someone closely connected to Randi, wouldn't they have known she didn't have a debit card? She was the FIRST abduction... Maybe since she was the first (only one at the time), they obviously start with those closest to the victim. Maybe it's just a coincidence she had a bunch of shady people in her life.

Crap. That article was a good one, but this is actually the one that I MEANT to link...

It said that he probably killed Randi because she didn't have a debit card. He was kidnapping people, driving them to the ATM to use their card, and taking the money. She didn't have one. He probably didn't believe her and got angry. They also think she tried to get out of the vehicle.
It is also believed that Nancy fought back to protect herself and her daughter. There was evidence of a struggle (broken handcuffs).

Yeah... based on all of the details there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that these cases are all connected. So with this hyper-focus on certain people in the Gorenberg case, what does that mean for the other two? BUT again, if it was someone closely connected to Randi, wouldn't they have known she didn't have a debit card? She was the FIRST abduction... Maybe since she was the first (only one at the time), they obviously start with those closest to the victim. Maybe it's just a coincidence she had a bunch of shady people in her life.
I don't know what to think. It is odd the son gave a false alibi and the wrong set of clothing right off the bat... I know it is an old case but only one detective on it in Boca and the guy still out there most likely.

The first woman is different in many respects, she also did not have a child with her...

I do agree with LE that his binding them and/or killing them really does not fit with stealing a few hundred dollars in cash... It's a very odd combination...

While not impressed with LE entirely the way this case sounds, I do see maybe some of their doubts now if the woman who was not killed managed to get out of all of those bindings on her own... I am not doubting her as there was a duplicate type of crime but at the time, LE must have wondered... And then the toll road did not register...

As sad as it is, even if they had believed it, I doubt this info would have been too heavily put in the news... Ritzy and a tourist area and all...

The first woman is different in many respects, she also did not have a child with her...
You know, that's true. She also wasn't restrained, as she tried to flee the vehicle. Could someone have gotten a "taste" for it and adjusted from there? Could her case just be a major coincidence that she was also last seen at the mall and not really be related at all?

The MO and restraints were exactly the same in the Jane Doe abduction and the Bochicchio murders.

Why did this guy stop after Nancy & Joey? To strike at least twice within 4 months (possibly 3 times in 9 months) and then nothing?

You know, that's true. She also wasn't restrained, as she tried to flee the vehicle. Could someone have gotten a "taste" for it and adjusted from there? Could her case just be a major coincidence that she was also last seen at the mall and not really be related at all?

The MO and restraints were exactly the same in the Jane Doe abduction and the Bochicchio murders.

Why did this guy stop after Nancy & Joey? To strike at least twice within 4 months (possibly 3 times in 9 months) and then nothing?
It is entirely different in many ways. I agree that it could have been a first crime/first attempt and maybe they learned from there...? And then he did not kill the next two but she did not report him as a fat black man either so the next time he killed the witnesses or perhaps it was due to resistance and inabilitiy to keep control... The first one though could be entirely unrelated...

The other two most definitely are related. Great point, why did he stop? Cameras put up? Too much attention? Did he move or change the MO but keep stealing...? He may have went to jail or prison for something entirely unrelated...?

I don't know if it is likely, but a crime ring crossed my mind... There sure were a lot of incidents (not this kind necessarily) at that mall in the one article... The slowness to even after put up cameras... Was there someone on the inside as well...? Or who had worked security or still did...? Just thoughts...

It is entirely different in many ways. I agree that it could have been a first crime/first attempt and maybe they learned from there...? And then he did not kill the next two but she did not report him as a fat black man either so the next time he killed the witnesses or perhaps it was due to resistance and inabilitiy to keep control... The first one though could be entirely unrelated...

The other two most definitely are related. Great point, why did he stop? Cameras put up? Too much attention? Did he move or change the MO but keep stealing...? He may have went to jail or prison for something entirely unrelated...?

I don't know if it is likely, but a crime ring crossed my mind... There sure were a lot of incidents (not this kind necessarily) at that mall in the one article... The slowness to even after put up cameras... Was there someone on the inside as well...? Or who had worked security or still did...? Just thoughts...
I've read many many cases where they stop a crime spree only because they were arrested for something else and put in jail. That's where I'm placing my bet on why he stopped.

I've read many many cases where they stop a crime spree only because they were arrested for something else and put in jail. That's where I'm placing my bet on why he stopped.
It makes the most sense I think. Or LE got too close and it scared him/them which could be the case if the son of the other woman or one of his friends were involved...

It makes the most sense I think. Or LE got too close and it scared him/them which could be the case if the son of the other woman or one of his friends were involved...
But then, we look at the Golden State serial killer and that throws it all to the wind. I'm still not sure if I have a handle on why he stopped.

But then, we look at the Golden State serial killer and that throws it all to the wind. I'm still not sure if I have a handle on why he stopped.
Yeah, I don't know. That one is strange how he stopped and it sure appears he did for all anyone knows...

I am not sure in this case that I liken the perp to a serial killer though, although he sure could have been a budding one and it's anyone's guess as to his true motive.. Not sure if the one case was related and of the other two, he only killed in the one incident. It seems to be as much about money as killing although his weird bindings and goggles are an odd mix with small theft... I hope they are doing due diligence and checking other states for continuing similar crimes... It sounds though like Boca only has one detective on it...

13 years tomorrow...

Boca Raton Cold Case Hits 13th Anniversary With Killer Still On The Loose

Saturday marks the 13th anniversary of the still-unsolved murders of a mother and her young daughter in Boca Raton.

Despite thousands of leads and the case being featured on "America's Most Wanted" three times, the person who claimed these lives has not been caught.

The Boca Raton Police Department provided the following statement on Friday:

As the anniversary of this tragic event approaches, we continue to actively investigate this crime, leaving no lead unturned. Detectives continue to investigate new leads and reexamine tips that were previously submitted.

To date, we have looked at thousands of leads.

We continue to ask anyone who has any information to come forward and call Crime Stoppers of Palm Beach County at 800-458-TIPS (8477) or the Boca Raton Police Services Department’s anonymous tip line at 561-416-3350.

On Thirteenth Anniversary of Boca Mall Murders, Answers Still Elusive​

Saturday marks the 13th anniversary of the killings of Nancy and Joey Bochicchio at Town Center at Boca Raton mall—unsolved crimes that continue to haunt this upscale city.

Investigators believe the same man carried out the Aug. 7 attack and the Bochicchio murders, but are uncertain whether there is any connection to Randi Gorenberg’s murder—or to an armed robbery that occurred at Mizner Park on Aug. 10, 2007.

The 2007 abduction and murder spree spurred authorities to offer the largest reward in Florida’s history, but the killer or killers have never been found.

Anyone with information about any of the mall cases is asked to call Palm Beach County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-458-TIPS.

Florida AG nearly doubles reward money for tips in unsolved murder cases​

Tips are critical for investigators to solve homicide cases.

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody just announced the state will nearly double the Crime Stoppers reward money, bumping it up from $5,000 to $9,500.

“We must root out the evil individuals in our communities that are inflicting violence,” Moody said.

The goal is get criminals off the street with community participation.

We’re seeing that in our area firsthand.

Amanda Micheels doesn’t want her neighbors to forget the horror that shocked a Boca Raton community and drew national headlines in 2007.

“It’s just something that could’ve happened to anybody,” she said. “You’re shopping at the mall one minute, and then the next minute, some guy is in your vehicle and you’re being kidnapped. It’s scary.”

16 years after Bochicchio murders in Boca Raton, unsolved crime still 'very unsettling'​

Tuesday marks 16 years since a mother and daughter, Nancy and Joey Bochicchio, were found murdered in a mall parking lot in Boca Raton, and the case is still unsolved.

Gerry Litrento, a resident of South Florida for 25 years, instantly remembers the 2007 tragedy when he hears the names of the victims.

"It was incredibly sad," Litrento said. "It was shocking that it was happening here in Boca."

Boca Raton police released the following statement to WPTV shortly before the 16-year mark since the murders:

"As technology changes and evolves regarding DNA testing, this case is continuously being reevaluated. We remain optimistic that technological advances will lead our investigators to a breakthrough in the investigation."

Boca Raton Town Center Mall Double Murder Investigation Continues After 16 Years​

It has been 16 years since Boca Raton was rocked by a double murder — two bodies found in the parking lot of Town Center Mall. Nancy Bochicchio, 47, and her daughter Joey, 7. The investigation continues. This is the official retelling of events, direct from the Boca Raton Police Department.

“Shortly before midnight on December 12, 2007, a security guard at the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton, FL. noticed a black 2007 Chrysler Aspen with the engine running, parked in the lot on the south side of the Sears department store. He called the Boca Raton Police Services Communications Center on a non-emergency line and asked for an officer to check it out. Officers found Nancy Bochicchio (47 years of age) and her daughter, Joey Bochicchio-Hauser (7 years of age), in an SUV bound and shot.

This terrible and tragic discovery touched off a massive investigation involving resources from around the country. Boca Raton Police crime scene technicians collected several hundred pieces of evidence from the scene, including DNA samples. Within hours of the incident, Boca Raton Police investigators were using various resources to identify a possible timeline and course of events.

On Wednesday, December 12, 2007, Nancy and Joey entered the Mall through Entrance No. 4 (between the Sears and Neiman Marcus department stores) at approximately 2:19 p.m. They left the building through the same doors at approximately 3:11 p.m. Boca Raton investigators believe that they were abducted and then taken to an ATM where they were forced to withdraw $500. A 911 call from Nancy’s cellular phone was received by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, but was disconnected before dispatchers could answer it. The operator tried to call back to Nancy’s phone, but received no response.

Aside from professional motivation, this case is extremely personal to us. Photographs of Nancy and Joey can be found throughout the Boca Raton Police Services Department to serve as constant reminders that our goal is justice for them and their loved ones. If you have any information, please contact us at 561-338-1344, or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477. You may remain anonymous.”

Boca Raton Town Center Mall Double Murder Investigation Continues After 16 Years​

It has been 16 years since Boca Raton was rocked by a double murder — two bodies found in the parking lot of Town Center Mall. Nancy Bochicchio, 47, and her daughter Joey, 7. The investigation continues. This is the official retelling of events, direct from the Boca Raton Police Department.

“Shortly before midnight on December 12, 2007, a security guard at the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton, FL. noticed a black 2007 Chrysler Aspen with the engine running, parked in the lot on the south side of the Sears department store. He called the Boca Raton Police Services Communications Center on a non-emergency line and asked for an officer to check it out. Officers found Nancy Bochicchio (47 years of age) and her daughter, Joey Bochicchio-Hauser (7 years of age), in an SUV bound and shot.

This terrible and tragic discovery touched off a massive investigation involving resources from around the country. Boca Raton Police crime scene technicians collected several hundred pieces of evidence from the scene, including DNA samples. Within hours of the incident, Boca Raton Police investigators were using various resources to identify a possible timeline and course of events.

On Wednesday, December 12, 2007, Nancy and Joey entered the Mall through Entrance No. 4 (between the Sears and Neiman Marcus department stores) at approximately 2:19 p.m. They left the building through the same doors at approximately 3:11 p.m. Boca Raton investigators believe that they were abducted and then taken to an ATM where they were forced to withdraw $500. A 911 call from Nancy’s cellular phone was received by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, but was disconnected before dispatchers could answer it. The operator tried to call back to Nancy’s phone, but received no response.

Aside from professional motivation, this case is extremely personal to us. Photographs of Nancy and Joey can be found throughout the Boca Raton Police Services Department to serve as constant reminders that our goal is justice for them and their loved ones. If you have any information, please contact us at 561-338-1344, or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477. You may remain anonymous.”
This is such an odd one. If just a robbery of $500 but the perp returns them to the mall bound and dead .. and leaves vehicle running.. I would almost say it was personal and robbery was a cover/misdirect... And why take them back versus leaving vehicle and then anywhere after arm thing... Or was atm at or near mall...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back