Netherlands TANJA GROEN: Missing from Maastricht, Netherlands - 31 August 1993 - Age 18

arI8vCI.jpg

Tanja Afra Maria Groen Missing since August 31, 1993 from Maastricht, Netherlands.

Media - http://crimewatchers.net/index.php?...t-netherlands-since-31-august-1993-age-18.88/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure they investigated it. But it struck me she was coming from "Hazing Party". There have been several accidental deaths at these hazing events. There would be several to cover it up. Get rid of her body and bike. Otherwise a "Snatch and Grab" with a person with a vehicle that could transport her and her bike undetected. I would think a van.

I'm sure they investigated it. But it struck me she was coming from "Hazing Party". There have been several accidental deaths at these hazing events. There would be several to cover it up. Get rid of her body and bike. Otherwise a "Snatch and Grab" with a person with a vehicle that could transport her and her bike undetected. I would think a van.
I don't know where this information about a "hazing party" at a University in the Netherlands came from. Please don't post unverified information because people will believe what they read. Tanja had attended a social event for new Freshman students. She was returning to her dormitory when she disappeared.

I don't know where this information about a "hazing party" at a University in the Netherlands came from. Please don't post unverified information because people will believe what they read. Tanja had attended a social event for new Freshman students. She was returning to her dormitory when she disappeared.
"after a hazing party at the student association" Your own post #3.

Only commenting as when I read this thread a few days ago, I went back and read from the beginning as I was not up on the case. Guessing others did the same.

ETA: When one follows a lot of cases or reads many, it is easy to forget details or case to case.

It was from your own post from Feb 14.

Tanja Afra Maria Green ( Schagen , June 23, 1975) disappeared on the night of August 31 to September 1, 1993 after a hazing party at the student association Circumflex in the center of Maastricht to her room in Gronsveld cycled. There she never arrived. The weekend after her disappearance she would go to her parents in Schagen. <snip>
I'm confused- why is referring to a "hazing party" unverified when you posted this info in your initial overview of the case? Just not understanding...thanks, @Akoya :)

http://www.zoekhonden.com/?Zoekacties_2 ... Maastricht

Disappearance
Tanja Afra Maria Green (Schagen, June 23, 1975) disappeared on the night of August 31 to September 1, 1993 after a hazing party on the student association Circumflex in the center of Maastricht to her room in Gronsveld cycled. There she never arrived. The weekend after her disappearance she would go to her parents in Schagen.

The information from post #3 does refer to the university function as a "hazing party". This is not correct information. Tanja had taken part in a social function for new Freshman at the beginning of the school term. Her bicycle was her mode of transportation from the campus to her dormitory. I can only apologize for not catching the "hazing" reference. The social function was a scheduled function for the Freshman.

There are other articles calling it a hazing party Mel. Circumflex is something you join or are invited to join. Fraternity/Sorority. Not like it was a university orientation with juice or coffee in the student hall. Check the FB page below. My mouse about died trying to scroll and find bottom of all of the beer and party pictures. Of note, the drinking age is 18. Of course there is a spin on the "party" in some articles, they do the same in the U.S. This site is not even shy about talking about drinks and parties.

Interestingly, hazing originated in Greece and Europe not in America, the practice was imported to our shores.

Doesn't mean she was drinking but it sure does not mean someone else was not nor that hazing was not in play and she was joining as a new student or that things were not going on at that party that relate to her disappearance...

I'm with you. She left a party on bike at midnight or thereafter. Supposedly that is... Of course the party and attendees would be something to consider... In fact I would think it would be the first thing considered...

Just found this article in a Dutch publication:

ONTGROENING: A HAZE OF HUMILIATION & HONOUR​

<snip>
Welcome to ‘Ontgroening’, which roughly translates into ‘hazing’. It is a weird time of the year just, as the summer holidays end and before serious university work starts, when students that want to be members of ancient societies must prove their dedication through an intense initiation process. Anyone on the outside will tell you that it’s a dirty, degrading and humiliating brainwashing session. Those on the inside, however, will fiercely advocate that there is a good reason they don’t let those goody-two-shoe nae-sayers in, as there’s nothing quite like a bit of an ordeal to separate the wheat from the chaff and to encourage real bonding and early solid friendships. Once you’re through, you’re a lifelong member of an exclusive and secretive club. Traditionally, it becomes a student’s first professional network, where they will both meet and mate with the high fliers of the future.

As a Brit, the whole fraternity/ sorority/ student society culture is somewhat foreign to me. But having already witnessed their antics on the streets of Amsterdam in years previous, I was curious, in a voyeuristic kind of way, and I wanted in, just once, just to see. And so, when I came to Amsterdam in 2011 to complete a study abroad year, I convinced myself it was the best way to learn Dutch, to make Dutch friends and establish some proper roots in my favourite city. I had asked around about the Ontgroening and had a lot of negative reactions. The whole process is highly controversial. Stories of accidental death and ritual animal slaughter caught my ears and I heard it described as Guantanamo Bay for dim Dutch students where you’re bullied and brainwashed until you develop Stockholm syndrome. But I also heard positive stories; if you want to know someone who knows someone and find your way into a top job in the Netherlands, these societies are the places to start. They can be elitist, but as far as “making connections” goes, he sorority/fraternity network is a treasure trove. I also heard stories of trips abroad, charity work, theatre nights, sports teams and wild parties – so much that appealed to me. <snip>

How about apolozing to me for jumping on my case.

My request to please not post information about hazing was not "jumping on your case". It was a polite request. I apologized to all of the posters in this topic because I hadn't focused on the section of the #3 post where the social function had been referred to as a hazing party. The error was mine and the apology was for all

The comment was directed at me.
Gee the culmination of hazing week big party on that VERY night. I don't think it is too out there to think that is the first thing to wonder about...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusSimo
Back