NUBIA DOCTER: Florida v Jorge & Carmen Barahona for murder of adopted daughter

Barahona.JPG

A Miami mother will spend the rest of her life in prison after pleading guilty Friday for her role in the starvation, torture and murder of her adopted daughter in a case that rocked Florida’s child welfare agency.

Under the plea deal, Carmen Barahona, 69, will testify against her husband, Jorge Barahona, who faces the death penalty if convicted of abusing and murdering his 10-year-old adopted daughter, Nubia.

The actual sentencing will be deferred until after Carmen Barahona’s cooperation with prosecutors is complete. If she doesn’t follow through and cooperate truthfully, Barahona could still face the possibility of the death penalty.

Barahona.JPG

A Miami mother will spend the rest of her life in prison after pleading guilty Friday for her role in the starvation, torture and murder of her adopted daughter in a case that rocked Florida’s child welfare agency.

Under the plea deal, Carmen Barahona, 69, will testify against her husband, Jorge Barahona, who faces the death penalty if convicted of abusing and murdering his 10-year-old adopted daughter, Nubia.

The actual sentencing will be deferred until after Carmen Barahona’s cooperation with prosecutors is complete. If she doesn’t follow through and cooperate truthfully, Barahona could still face the possibility of the death penalty.

Another one. It is my opinion in following cases, that there is a fair amount of this with adopted kids and/or foster children. I am not saying all of course. So heinous. At least they did not take the death penalty off the table for her. These people are sick individuals. Poor child.

Per Miami-Dade court records
Court Case No.: F-11-006237-B
Defendant Name: BARAHONA, JORGE
Date: 02/26/2020
Docket:
REPORT RE: PLEA SET FOR 03/16/2020 AT 09:00

I want to see both of them burn frankly. Is he going to be charged separately for the attack on her twin, Victor? or have they already done something with that? I'm sorry, I've been out of the loop on this case for a while.
Since Carmen took a plea deal to avoid the death penalty, it is MOO, that Jorge finally took a plea due to the latest public court records.

sentencing.jpg

Per Miami Dade public court records;

Seq. No.DateBook/PageDocket
107001/08/2021MEMO RE: APPOINTMENT AS PRIVATE COURT APPOINTED COUNSEL
106901/07/2021ORDER APPOINTING PCAC & APPROVING TRANSCR & DEPO PAYMENTS 2ND CHAIR
106801/07/2021REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 04/15/2021 AT 09:00
106601/07/2021DEFENSE ATTY PCAC/MARKUS, DAVID S
106401/07/2021DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
106301/07/2021DEMAND FOR TRIAL BY JURY
106201/07/2021WRITTEN PLEA OF NOT GUILTY

Per Miami Dade public court records;

Seq. No.DateBook/PageDocket
107001/08/2021MEMO RE: APPOINTMENT AS PRIVATE COURT APPOINTED COUNSEL
106901/07/2021ORDER APPOINTING PCAC & APPROVING TRANSCR & DEPO PAYMENTS 2ND CHAIR
106801/07/2021REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 04/15/2021 AT 09:00
106601/07/2021DEFENSE ATTY PCAC/MARKUS, DAVID S
106401/07/2021DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
106301/07/2021DEMAND FOR TRIAL BY JURY
106201/07/2021WRITTEN PLEA OF NOT GUILTY
I thought he was taking a guilty plea!

bump

Still waiting for justice for Nubia.

After years of delays, Barahona’s trial was scheduled to start in April 2020, but was postponed when the COVID-19 crisis shuttered Miami-Dade’s criminal courthouse. The trial has yet to be rescheduled. Barahona was granted a new defense attorney after it was revealed his previous lawyer is under investigation over discrepancies with his legal billing.

*(this makes me so angry! enough of the delays/excuses, this case has been pending for 10 years .. where is the justice?!)

After years of delays, Barahona’s trial was scheduled to start in April 2020, but was postponed when the COVID-19 crisis shuttered Miami-Dade’s criminal courthouse. The trial has yet to be rescheduled. Barahona was granted a new defense attorney after it was revealed his previous lawyer is under investigation over discrepancies with his legal billing.

*(this makes me so angry! enough of the delays/excuses, this case has been pending for 10 years .. where is the justice?!)
Yep. She would have been an adult by now and able to escape that hell.

By Sun Sentinel Editorial Board
Orlando Sentinel
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:30 am

Florida failed Nubia in every way possible.

It was the social workers who pushed her and her twin brother into the arms of Jorge and Carmen Barahona; the system that dismissed the guardian who raised red flags; the legislature that for years starved the Department of Children and Families of money for protection; the family court that blessed her adoption by the couple, instead of sending her to loving relatives.

Twelve years after the 10-year-old girl was tortured to death, stuffed in a bag and thrown in a truck bed, Florida is failing her yet again.

Jorge Barahona, her adoptive father and accused murderer, is successfully escaping trial.

Because Barahona is already held in a Miami-Dade County jail, there is an argument that a trial is a moot issue. As long as a jury does not get an opportunity to decide otherwise, he will remain behind bars until he dies.

But justice is about more than sentencing. It’s not just the specter of the death penalty Barahona is evading.

By CBS Miami Team
Updated on: March 1, 2024 / 1:18 PM EST / CBS/AP

MIAMI - A South Florida man accused of killing his adopted 10-year-old daughter has been found incompetent to stand trial.

Jorge and Carmen Barahona are accused of torturing Nubia and her twin brother Victor for months before her death.

Nubia Barahona's body was found partially decomposed in the back of her father's truck along I-95 in Palm Beach County on Valentine's Day 2011. In the front seat, Victor was found suffering seizures from chemical burns.

His wife, Carmen, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse charges in 2020 and was expected to testify against Barahona. She would have received a life sentence it she had testified. He would have faced the death penalty if convicted at trial.

Nubia and Victor were adopted by the Barahonas in 2009 after living in their home since 2004. The kids, authorities discovered, had endured starvation, beatings, medical neglect and they had been tied and forced to stay in a bathtub.

The state's Department of Children and Families came under fire during the course of the police investigation into Nubia's death for failing to piece together warning signs from medical professionals and school officials that something was wrong in the Barahona home. The agency blamed it on a system-wide failure, including poor judgment by child protective investigators, overwhelming caseloads, and missed opportunities at every turn.

Children placed in adopitve homes and later one of the adopted parents is deemed incompetent. Did he develop incompetence in later years but they were some fully functonal no issue couiple that were deemed great parents to adopt back at the time? Did he always have issues and if so, why were they allowed to adopt? Or again did it come about now...

This was an awful case. Is an awful case. I SERIOUSLY doubt these two were fit to adopt or would have been in most of our eyes if we were the ones looking at it but that isn't how it is these days, seems like anyone is approved...

The poor incompetent man. NO the poor CHILDREN who were tortured and abused and are dead. I don't care if he is locked in a prison or in a room in a mental hospital but he does need to be LOCKED up and never in society or among others.

Sounds like another DCF and some employees that should also be facing some serious sh*t and imo criminal charges. Med pros and school saw it, but not DCF? Really? Smh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back