IA JODI SUE HUISENTRUIT: Missing from Mason City, IA - 27 June 1995 - Age 27

1607053196308.png
The Doe Network:
Case File 1326DFIA

1603562902202.png 1603562906154.png 1603562911099.png

Jodi Sue Huisentruit
Missing since June 27, 1995 from Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 5, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 27 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"-5'4"; 110-120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Jodi Huisentruit, an anchor at KIMT television station in Mason City, Iowa, disappeared from outside her apartment as she left for work
at approximately 4:00 on June 27, 1995. Initially a missing person case, Huisentruit's disappearance was soon classified an abduction. When investigators arrived at her apartment complex they found her red Miata convertible in the parking lot. A pair of red women's dress shoes, a blow dryer, bottle of hair spray, car keys and earrings were scattered beside the car. The key was found bent and out of the door lock. Witnesses indicate that they heard screams at 4 o'clock that morning. Investigators are looking for a white mid 1980s Ford Econoline van. Foul play is suspected.

Huisentruit grew up in Long Prairie, Minnesota, where she was active in sports, excelling in golf. She earned her bachelors degree in 1990 from St. Cloud State University with a double major in TV Broadcasting and Speech Communication. Huisentruit worked for Northwest Airlines immediately after graduation, followed by a broadcasting position at KGAN-TV Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She then returned to Minnesota for a position at KSAX-TV in Alexandria, before joining KIMT-TV in Mason City.

The Jodi's Hope Fund has been established to help youngsters in Long Prairie, Minnesota — where Jodi Huisentruit grew up — develop their writing and speaking skills. To learn more about the fund and how to contribute, go to www.jodishopefund.com.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Mason City Police Department
641-421-3636
Iowa Missing Persons Clearinghouse
1-800-346-5507
Email

NCIC Number: M-844559811
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Iowa Missing Persons Clearinghouse
Namus
Find Jodi
Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office
Unsolved Mysteries

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited by a moderator:

Private investigator says Google may face lawsuit in connection with Huisentruit cold case​

A licensed private investigator says a potential suspect in the 1995 abduction and murder of Mason City television anchor Jodi Huisentruit is considering a lawsuit against Google, which currently lists him as the victim’s “killer”.

Investigator Steve Ridge says Arizona resident John Vansice and his wife are exploring how the assertion that Vansice is responsible for the murder became part of a prominent ‘Google Knowledge Graph’ as the first entry in the search engine’s results about the case.

“Vansice has never been indicted, charged or tried for any crime related to Jodi Huisentruit’s disappearance," Ridge said.
Yeah people need to watch what they’re saying on the Internet. They can destroy lives this way. Unless police are saying someone is a suspect, all of us need to be careful. It’s not fair to the innocent.

Yeah people need to watch what they’re saying on the Internet. They can destroy lives this way. Unless police are saying someone is a suspect, all of us need to be careful. It’s not fair to the innocent.
Yep, this is what worries me also in the West case. Both people commenting and the people providing content (not all) seem to be forgetting to at least say they are speculating, imo, or say I "think", etc. Also, things that were speculation is being passed on like "fact". It is the worst I have ever seen.

26 years after Jodi Huisentruit's disappearance, FindJodi team works to bring awareness
Sunday marked 26 years since the disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit, the morning news anchor at KIMT-TV in Mason City.

People nationwide continue working to bring awareness to Huisentruit’s case, in hopes of getting justice.

People in Mason City and across the globe were asked to leave a light on or light a candle on the anniversary of her disappearance.

It’s part of an effort by the FindJodi team to help remind people Huisentruit is still missing.

People can also use #LightsForJodi and #FindJodi in any social media posts to raise awareness online.

The FindJodi team is also revealing a new billboard in Mason City.

Investigator claims to have new information in Jodi Huisentruit case​

Thursday, there are claims of new leads in the decades-long search for answers in the Jodi Huisentruit case.

Private investigator Steve Ridge has been looking into the case for years.

He said he's made great progress this week, Hubbard Broadcasting sister station KAAL-TV reported.

"One, I'm identifying and meeting with some new people who saw Jodi socially on the final days before her abduction," Ridge said. "And number two, learning previously unknown details regarding the purchase of her Mazda Miata. So I can tell you the last two days have been extremely productive in terms of unearthing new information."

He wouldn't say anything more, including what exactly the new information is or why it's so productive.

Meanwhile, another billboard went up in Mason City in the hope it'll turn up clues. It includes the message, "Don't sit in silence, the time to talk is now."

’20/20′ to feature Jodi Huisentruit case; Minnesota native apparently abducted in 1995​

The TV show “20/20” on Friday will feature the 1995 disappearance of Mason City, Iowa, television news anchor Jodi Huisentruit.

A news release from ABC says the show features Mason City Police Department investigator Terrance Prochaska, who was assigned to the case in 2010, and includes a “ride-along, tracing Huisentruit’s steps the night before her disappearance.”

New tips come in after 20/20 Jodi Huisentruit special​

It's been a month since 20/20 aired its special on missing Iowa news anchor Jodi Huisentruit. Since then, those committed to her case said they've been receiving new tips and they hope one of those will help break the case.

The Mason City Police Department has been at the forefront of the investigation since day one. The department said after the special, calls and e-mails were flooding in.

"We will fit in the stuff that came in the aftermath of the 20/20 special with what we have and see if there are other things that we can follow up on now that we had followed up on with limited information," Mason City Police Chief Jeff Brinkley said. "That gives us a new perspective on something that we already had."

I can't believe this case went so cold. I recall when it happened; I was certain there would be some good leads, and it would be solved fairly quickly. I did some research and posted my findings on the old site; I'll do some exploring when I have time, and post anything of interest.
I remember it too.

I have no idea of suspects, But I think she had a stalker she was unaware of. I have heard of a few news anchors, Reporters etc. Having problems with that. Michelle Tafoy, probably spelling that wrong. That covered "NFL" games had a bad one for a long time.

This weekend marks 27 years since Jodi Huisentruit disappeared​

A mystery in Mason City has gone unsolved for nearly three decades.

This month marks 27 years since morning news anchor Jodi Huisentruit was last seen.

Friends and family encourage people to leave their porch lights on for Huisentruit this weekend. You can post photos on social media using the hashtag Lights for Jodi.

Even up here there were missing posters on telephone poles. I remember I was just turning 25 and we use to go for coffee all the time at this one place all the time. That poster hung there until the weather took care of it. Very sadly it put things in perspective.

Even up here there were missing posters on telephone poles. I remember I was just turning 25 and we use to go for coffee all the time at this one place all the time. That poster hung there until the weather took care of it. Very sadly it put things in perspective.
It was a very well known case here too. Midwest maybe? On the other hand the case got a lot of attention and people I think really got out there with the posters and doing all they could, it was impressive since it was not the internet age that they managed to get posters and such far and wide.

Never found and no justice. I can't even imagine what that must be like for loved ones. And scary too for the public as whoever is responsible likely did not stop with her.

I think it was a so called "Celebrity stalker". Most of them get caught. Most. It is really creepy when they don't. Whether they are alive, In jail or otherwise. They got away with it.

New Documents Discovered in Huisentruit Case​

Newfound information shows a search warrant was issued in the Jodi Huisentruit missing person investigation in 2017.

According to the newfound documents, a search warrant was requested and executed on March 20, 2017 for GPS data from a 1999 Honda Civic and a 2013 GMC 1500.

The same day an order to restrict access to those records was filed and on October 17, 2017 an order to extend the sealing of the documents for 1 year was issued.

Mason City Police Chief Jeff Brinkley released a statement to ABC 6 News saying, “As you know, we continue to actively work Jodi’s Huisentruit’s missing persons case from June 27, 1995. The search warrant you are referring to is part of our ongoing investigation. We do not have any public comment at this time about the content of the search warrant or the person(s) named in it. We would ask that anyone with information about Jodi’s disappearance contact the Mason City Police Department. Lt. Rich Jensen is our Criminal Investigations Division supervisor and he can be reached at 641-421-3636.”

New Documents Discovered in Huisentruit Case​

Newfound information shows a search warrant was issued in the Jodi Huisentruit missing person investigation in 2017.

According to the newfound documents, a search warrant was requested and executed on March 20, 2017 for GPS data from a 1999 Honda Civic and a 2013 GMC 1500.

The same day an order to restrict access to those records was filed and on October 17, 2017 an order to extend the sealing of the documents for 1 year was issued.

Mason City Police Chief Jeff Brinkley released a statement to ABC 6 News saying, “As you know, we continue to actively work Jodi’s Huisentruit’s missing persons case from June 27, 1995. The search warrant you are referring to is part of our ongoing investigation. We do not have any public comment at this time about the content of the search warrant or the person(s) named in it. We would ask that anyone with information about Jodi’s disappearance contact the Mason City Police Department. Lt. Rich Jensen is our Criminal Investigations Division supervisor and he can be reached at 641-421-3636.”
So is the part I bolded known or is it only known there is/was a warrant? I have to go read the link yet...

In our latest episode of the FindJodi Podcast, team members Caroline Lowe and Scott Fuller answer questions about our efforts in Jodi’s case.

Topics include: the recent location of possible human remains around Iowa, the Adventures with Purpose group, the condition of Jodi’s car, her access to technology, and more.

Questions for future episodes can be emailed to: team@findjodi.com

Noelle Alviz-Gransee
Des Moines Register
February 19, 2023

Nearly 28 years after Jodi Huisentruit's disappearance, a $25,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the recovery of the remains of the former Mason City morning television news anchor, according to a news release.

Huisentruit disappeared early on the morning of June 27, 1995, on her way to work at KIMT-TV in Mason City. Though the case has remained in the public eye, no arrests or charges have been made in connection to the case.

Licensed private investigator Steve Ridge offered the reward as a private citizen. Ridge says the reward offer has the blessing of Huisentruit’s sister, JoAnn Nathe.

5d05246e-3e13-4137-9fe3-32753c01f311-Jodi_Huisentruit.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: New information in disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit
It has been 28 years since Jodi Huisentruit, a news anchor, failed to show up for work. Colleagues called to check on her and she said she had overslept and would be in shortly. But she never arrived. Police found signs of a struggle outside the car she was driving, a red Mazda Miata, and her belongings were left there, including a bent car key.

Despite many theories and potential suspects, no arrests have been made and Jodi’s whereabouts remain unknown. However, new developments have emerged in recent years, many from anonymous sources indicating the level of fear some still feel surrounding the case.

Steve Ridge remains at the forefront of the investigation and continues to receive leads. In an exclusive interview with Iowa’s News Now, Ridge revealed that Huisentruit never owned the red Mazda Miata she was driving. She was trying it out from a person she planned on buying it from. The car was never in Jodi’s name and there was never a sale. After her disappearance, the man agreed to a sale price with Jodi’s mom. Ridge hopes this new information will put an end to some of the speculation.

Ridge remains confident that there are people still alive in Iowa who can help solve this mystery. He urges everyone to reach out and end this mystery. “I actually believe that there are people that have been on the edge of their seat to talk for many years and just can’t quite get over the hump,” he said. “I will be reaching out to some new people as a result of the work I’ve been doing even in the last six months and I’m confident that slowly, this puzzle will come together.”

Tuesday June 27th will mark 28 years since Jodi Huisentruit was abducted on her way to anchor the morning news at KIMT-TV in Mason City, IA.

Jodi has not been seen since that summer morning in 1995. No one has ever been arrested or charged in connection with Iowa’s highest-profile unsolved case.

While Jodi’s family and friends mark another sad anniversary with no answers, our FindJodi team asks people to leave a light on, or light a candle, to remember the 27-year-old Long Prairie, Minnesota native.

We hope that by turning on lights again this year, it will remind people – especially in the Mason City area – that Jodi is still missing.

You can use #LightsForJodi and #FindJodi in any social media postings to help raise awareness online.

Reward for information on Jodi Huisentruit's disappearance doubled to $50,000​

A licensed private investigator looking into the disappearance of Mason City television anchor Jodi Huisentruit has doubled a reward for information to $50,000.

Steve Ridge put up the $25,000 reward earlier this year for anyone who can lead police to Huisentruit's remains. The increase went into effect Sept. 1.

Ridge has been actively investigating the case since 2019, though he has followed it since she disappeared early on the morning of June 27, 1995, on her way to work at KIMT-TV in Mason City. Though the case has remained in the public eye for 28 years, no arrests or charges have been made.

He believes someone knows what happened to Huisentruit. It could be someone who had no involvement but has information they've been reluctant to share, Ridge said.

He hopes the higher reward will encourage someone to come forward.

“I am now extremely confident that multiple people know what happened to Jodi. Eventually, someone may decide to talk,” Ridge said in a news release. “We hope to encourage that possibility."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back