GEORGIA LEAH MOSES: Murdered in Petaluma, CA - August 1997

GEORGIA.jpg

The night was the night of August 13, 1997. Angel (Georgia's sister) told Dateline that she later discovered that Georgia and a friend had been hanging out when Georgia received a page on her pager and called the number back.

Sometime later, the friend walked Georgia to a gas station near the intersection of Sebastopol Road and Dutton Avenue in Santa Rosa, where the friend said Georgia left with an unidentified man. It was the last time she was seen alive.

More than a week later, on August 22, 1997, a Caltrans worker fixing a broken guardrail off Highway 101 in Petaluma, California, discovered the body of a young girl in a grove of trees. But she wasn’t immediately identified.

On the same day, back in Santa Rosa, Child Protective Services (CPS) stopped by Angel and Georgia's home to inquire about a suspected sex offender in the area. It was Angel who spoke up about her sister being missing.

“Eight days had passed since I saw my sister,” Angel said tearfully. “I knew something was wrong because she always came to see me. So at seven years old, I was the one who had to report my sister missing.”

According to Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sergeant Juan Valencia, Georgia had been strangled. Her body was so badly decomposed that she had to be identified through dental records. The coroner listed August 13, the last day Georgia was seen, as her date of death.

Much more at link: Do you have the tip that will bring justice for the family of GEORGIA LEAH MOSES? Murdered 1997 in #CALIFORNIA

Last edited:
@Kimster so the question posed was regarding AA men arrested for sex crimes in the area & the answer is no unfortunately. The witness who provided the description for LE & the forensic artist image of the POI doesn't match local crime reports within Santa Rosa. However, the witness also stated they thought he might be from San Fransisco & I have not researched into any surrounding counties for comparison.
San Francisco is HUGE. And while there may be records there for that time, I don't know how well kept they were.

I still haven't had a chance to listen to the links you provided.

@Kimster her case wasn't uploaded to NamUs. Where is the ME report? There is no excuse for this to be a cold case with Santa Rosa PD. There are at least 2 victims; Georgia & her sister, Angel. Why aren't more people angry about this?!

@Kimster her case wasn't uploaded to NamUs. Where is the ME report? There is no excuse for this to be a cold case with Santa Rosa PD. There are at least 2 victims; Georgia & her sister, Angel. Why aren't more people angry about this?!
I wish I had answers for you. I think her sister can get a hold of NamUs and get it added.

I am angry about it and all I know is what I read here and the first podcast. I right now am listening to the second podcast. I hope to have time to listen to it all this morning but not sure I will.

Not sure what happened in this case whether incompetence, uncaring or corruption but this case is old and seems very solvable, in fact it sounds to me like it was solvable when it happened, and even now does not seem to have the attention it should by LE or anything else. Clearly the various agencies and systems and people in their lives failed them but Angel seems to have turned out very strong and dedicated to seeing justice.

I'd sure like to hear from Santa Rosa PD with some answers...

File a complaint with Santa Rosa PD

Santa Rosa Cold Cases, where is Georgia's case?!

Since Santa Rosa is within Sonoma County then why hasn't the VCI been involved?

File a complaint with Santa Rosa PD

Santa Rosa Cold Cases, where is Georgia's case?!

Since Santa Rosa is within Sonoma County then why hasn't the VCI been involved?
I forget where I read it, on one of her sister's sites I think, but I believe Sonoma County is the contact place rather than Santa Rosa. I actually looked them up as I was even toying with calling or writing... Would the cold case be there? Even so, one would think Santa Rosa would also have it...

I forget where I read it, on one of her sister's sites I think, but I believe Sonoma County is the contact place rather than Santa Rosa. I actually looked them up as I was even toying with calling or writing... Would the cold case be there? Even so, one would think Santa Rosa would also have it...
IIRC Angel stated that the Santa Rosa's SO had hired a cold case detective that had been assigned this case however after many unreturned calls ...

IIRC Angel stated that the Santa Rosa's SO had hired a cold case detective that had been assigned this case however after many unreturned calls ...
No one should take my word for it, I could be wrong. Maybe she confused it otherwise and again, can't swear where I got it. The SO would generally be the county and the PD the city. Isn't Santa Rosa the city? I have went to the website, been to Twitter and have also listened to both podcasts, it came from one of them. I just know I looked up the SO after hearing or reading something.

No one should take my word for it, I could be wrong. Maybe she confused it otherwise and again, can't swear where I got it. The SO would generally be the county and the PD the city. Isn't Santa Rosa the city? I have went to the website, been to Twitter and have also listened to both podcasts, it came from one of them. I just know I looked up the SO after hearing or reading something.
You are correct; in the 2nd podcast Angel said the detective assigned to the case was thru the Sonoma County SO.

I'm unclear as to the reason why Santa Rosa PD isn't being pushed because the crime occurred within their city limits.

You are correct; in the 2nd podcast Angel said the detective assigned to the case was thru the Sonoma County SO.

I'm unclear as to the reason why Santa Rosa PD isn't being pushed because the crime occurred within their city limits.
One possibility is that the D.A. is building a case. It would go from city to county for charging or trial purposes... Not sure about when a case would be turned over to county investigators...

The only other thing I can think of is they have a part of the crime, where she was, where she was killed, maybe kidnapping, etc. that was out of the city limits?

One possibility is that the D.A. is building a case. It would go from city to county for charging or trial purposes... Not sure about when a case would be turned over to county investigators...

The only other thing I can think of is they have a part of the crime, where she was, where she was killed, maybe kidnapping, etc. that was out of the city limits?
poi.PNG

I misspoke earlier. The POI artists sketch was completed by Sonoma County SO.

Through the death investigation and autopsy, we determined Georgia died of asphyxia by being strangled or smothered. Through forensic evidence, we determined she died sometime between the night of August 13 and early morning of August 14.

Not long before 10 p.m., someone paged Georgia. She used her friend's phone to return the call, and arranged to meet a man at the 76 station at the corner of Sebastopol Road and Dutton Avenue.

"This was someone she knew,'' the detective says. "He would page her and meet her occasionally.''
Stories

The Georgia Moses Memorial Site: Women's Justice Center established and maintains a memorial at the Petaluma site where 12 year-old Georgia Moses was murdered in August, 1997. The site reminds us that Georgia Moses' murder remains unsolved, and that sexism and racism kill.

The average age for a victim to be forced into the sex industry in Sonoma County is estimated to be between 12-14 years.

Why didn't 'mandated' reporters step in ??

11165.7. (a) As used in this article, “mandated reporter” is defined as any of the following:​

(1) A teacher.
(2) An instructional aide.
(3) A teacher’s aide or teacher’s assistant employed by a public or private school.
(4) A classified employee of a public school.
(5) An administrative officer or supervisor of child welfare and attendance, or a certificated pupil personnel employee of a public or private school.
(6) An administrator of a public or private day camp.
(7) An administrator or employee of a public or private youth center, youth recreation program, or youth organization.
(8) An administrator, board member, or employee of a public or private organization whose duties require direct contact and supervision of children, including a foster family agency.
(9) An employee of a county office of education or the State Department of Education whose duties bring the employee into contact with children on a regular basis.
(10) A licensee, an administrator, or an employee of a licensed community care or child daycare facility.
(11) A Head Start program teacher.
(12) A licensing worker or licensing evaluator employed by a licensing agency, as defined in Section 11165.11.
(13) A public assistance worker.
(14) An employee of a childcare institution, including, but not limited to, foster parents, group home personnel, and personnel of residential care facilities.
(15) A social worker, probation officer, or parole officer.

Why didn't 'mandated' reporters step in ??

11165.7. (a) As used in this article, “mandated reporter” is defined as any of the following:​

(1) A teacher.
(2) An instructional aide.
(3) A teacher’s aide or teacher’s assistant employed by a public or private school.
(4) A classified employee of a public school.
(5) An administrative officer or supervisor of child welfare and attendance, or a certificated pupil personnel employee of a public or private school.
(6) An administrator of a public or private day camp.
(7) An administrator or employee of a public or private youth center, youth recreation program, or youth organization.
(8) An administrator, board member, or employee of a public or private organization whose duties require direct contact and supervision of children, including a foster family agency.
(9) An employee of a county office of education or the State Department of Education whose duties bring the employee into contact with children on a regular basis.
(10) A licensee, an administrator, or an employee of a licensed community care or child daycare facility.
(11) A Head Start program teacher.
(12) A licensing worker or licensing evaluator employed by a licensing agency, as defined in Section 11165.11.
(13) A public assistance worker.
(14) An employee of a childcare institution, including, but not limited to, foster parents, group home personnel, and personnel of residential care facilities.
(15) A social worker, probation officer, or parole officer.
I am not sure when the actual term "mandated reporter" came into play. Cases like this are where it came from though. Sad that it had to become a law.

I know they have pretty much always been "supposed" to do so, but it seems to be a 21st Century thing for it being known and implemented as it should have.

I am not sure when the actual term "mandated reporter" came into play. Cases like this are where it came from though. Sad that it had to become a law.

I know they have pretty much always been "supposed" to do so, but it seems to be a 21st Century thing for it being known and implemented as it should have.
In reference to California only:

On and after January 1, 1985, with the exception of child visitation monitors, persons entering employment which make them mandated reporters must sign statements, provided and retained by their employers, informing them that they are mandated reporters and advising them of their reporting responsibilities and of their confidentiality rights. (P.C. 11166.5 (a))

The Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) was passed in 1980. Over the years, numerous amendments have expanded the definition of child abuse and the persons required to report. Procedures for reporting have also been clarified. In California, certain professionals are required to report known or suspected child abuse. Other citizens, though not required by law to report, may also do so. It is important for mandated reporters to stay abreast of periodic amendments in the law. Your local Child Abuse Prevention Council or Child Protective Agency has current reporting law information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back