FAITH HEDGEPETH: Murdered in Chapel Hill, NC - 2012 *ARREST*

220px-Faith_Hedgepth.jpg

Faith was a 19-year-old junior at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill when, on the morning of Sept. 7, 2012, a returning roommate discovered her body in a bedroom of the off-campus apartment they shared, according to the roommate's 911 call.

An autopsy revealed Faith died after a severe beating to the head; investigators believed the weapon was an empty but unbroken bottle of Bacardi peach-flavored rum found at the scene, covered in blood.

From that moment on, police have searched unsuccessfully for an assailant.

Father always shares story of murdered daughter in hopes of bringing killer to justice

Roland Hedgepeth lives in a small home in Hickory. Throughout the house are pictures of a smiling young woman and decorations with the word faith.

Hedgepeth said many of the decorations were gifts as well as some of the paintings. All are in remembrance of his daughter, Faith Hedgepeth, who was found dead in a friend’s apartment in Chapel Hill on Sept. 7, 2012.

“Most people remember her laugh and her smile,” Hedgepeth said. “She smiled a lot of the time. She had a unique laugh. It was like a little girl that you tickle, and they get hysterical. That’s the way her laugh was.”

Her room is still decorated for a young woman, with a bedroom set. However, the bed is covered in binders where Hedgepeth keeps track of the case and any new developments as well as media stories about his daughter. The walls are covered in memorabilia from before and after her death.

It will be eight years this September since Faith’s murder, and Hedgepeth is still seeking justice. He said he’s aged twice that. His efforts have cost him money, time and his health. He spent his retirement savings and even borrowed money he is still paying back to hire private investigators.

Once he ran out of money, people approached Hedgepeth to offer him pro bono services. While he’s grateful for the assistance, he said that without being paid, people don’t have the drive needed to find answers.

“I got burned out on it (bringing Faith’s murderer to justice) last year,” Hedgepeth said. “I got to the point where I realized that I had to try and let it go a little bit because it had consumed me.”

Hedgepeth said he liked to see stories on Faith out there. The more visible Faith and her story is, the more likely he feels someone who knows something about that night may come forward.

Event aims to keep Faith Hedgepeth and cases of other Indigenous women in spotlight

The unsolved murder of UNC-Chapel Hill student Faith Hedgepeth will be back in the spotlight Sunday, during an event designed to keep attention on the case and to remember other missing and murdered Indigenous women in North Carolina.

The event, called “Raising Our Voices,” starts at 3 p.m. in the patio of the Vecino Brewing Co. in Carrboro.

Hedgepeth, a member of the Haliwa-Saponi tribal community in Warren County, was found beaten to death in the off-campus Chapel Hill apartment she shared with her roommate, Karena Rosario, on the morning of Sept. 7, 2012. Rosario and friend Marisol Rangel discovered the body. The night before, Hedgepeth, 19 years old, had gone out to a club with Rosario.

The Chapel Hill Police Department gathered a considerable amount of forensic evidence from the scene, including DNA, a murder weapon and a cryptic note written on a fast food bag. The department has performed hundreds of DNA tests and generated a composite image of the killer based on DNA, yet the case seems no closer to being solved than it did almost eight years ago.

At Sunday’s event, people close to missing and murdered Indigenous women will speak about their “lost ones.” Singer Alexis Raeana will perform throughout the event. After speakers and performances, the group will move to the sidewalk outside Vecino and hold up signs to raise awareness.

Other missing and murdered Native American women remembered during the event:

Thoughts come to mind on reading the articles, which don't entirely match, not unusual. But I guess they are thoughts long asked or covered probably since not a new case.

Why did the roommate need a ride home, who gave her a ride the night or early morning before?? One article says she called for a ride at 8 a.m. and the other says 11 a.m. One article says she was a roommate of the victim, and the other said she was a friend she was just staying with temporarily (was she leaving a bf or something and there may have been an upset ex?). Why did the roommate not lock the door? The final thing that kind of gets me is the murder weapon being an unbroken bottle. I don't question that could happen but why a bottle? Wouldn't the guy typically strangle, overpower or punch a female? And the bottle never broke? Part of me thinks this sounds female or like a weak man but it could have just been a weapon of opportunity I guess.

Just thoughts on reading this. I am sure LE and the parents have been over these thoughts 1,000 times and that there is more info out there over this number of years than I am aware of answering some of these questions.

Someone seemed to clearly know when she was alone and did they expect the door unlocked or was it an invited guest? Roommate leaves to give privacy knowing victim was expecting a guest? In that case, I would think there is a POI even if not named...

I am just doing the usual on reading the facts in the articles here and I guess I don't know enough but the parents keep it in the news to keep interest and it has grabbed mine.

Still no arrests 8 years after UNC student Faith Hedgepeth was found dead in apartment

Eight years have passed since a University of North Carolina student was found dead in her Chapel Hill apartment, but police have still made no arrests in the case.

In 2016, a sketch of the possible killer was released. Using genetic code from DNA, a software company in Reston, VA was able to predict the eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, face morphology, and ancestry of the alleged killer.

In 2018, investigators told ABC11 they were working on Hedgepeth's case daily, and were confident it would be solved because of specific evidence, including a threatening note attached to a takeout order in the apartment, a broken rum bottle and semen from a sexual assault kit. Investigators also said they were working with geneticists to compare the killer's DNA to DNA in public databases.

Several people who were around Hedgepeth before her death have been interviewed and the DNA found at the scene was compared to persons of interests but no arrests have been made.

A $40,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest. Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at (919)942-7515.

1599510418389.png

Faith Hedgepeth: A timeline and resources tracing the UNC student’s unsolved murder​

The murder of UNC college student Faith Hedgepth remains one of the most baffling unsolved murder cases in North Carolina.

It’s been nearly nine years since 19-year-old Hedgepeth was found beaten to death in the off-campus Durham/Chapel Hill apartment she shared with another student. Police collected tons of forensic evidence from the scene (including the murder weapon and DNA), performed hundreds of DNA tests and even generated a composite image of the killer based on DNA.

And yet, no arrests have ever been made.

MORE AT LINK

A look at the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women featured in Dateline NBC’s Missing in America and Cold Case Spotlight

Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women featured in Dateline NBC's Missing in America and Cold Case Spotlight​

Faith Hedgepeth was beaten to death with an empty liquor bottle in the early morning hours of September 7, 2012, at her off-campus apartment near Chapel Hill, North Carolina after returning from a nightclub.

She was a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a member of the Haliwa-Saponi Native American tribe.

Security footage shows Faith and her roommate, Karena, arriving at the now-closed nightclub “The Thrill” in downtown Chapel Hill and then again later when they left around 2:30 a.m. Karena later told police that after they arrived home, she left for the night and Faith went to bed.

The next morning, Karena said she returned home to find Faith’s partially nude body, wrapped in a comforter that had been on the bed and called 911. According to the call that was later released, Karena told the operator that she found Faith unconscious in the bedroom. When asked if Faith was breathing, she responded, “I don’t know. I don’t think so. There’s blood everywhere.”

The police investigation stretched on for two years. In 2014, just days before the second anniversary of Faith’s murder, Durham County court officials unsealed documents in the search for her killer.

The autopsy report, which was also unsealed at that time, revealed what her family already knew. Faith had died from blunt force trauma to the head. The report also detailed cuts and bruises on her arms and legs, along with blood under her fingernails.

Investigators believe the murder weapon to be an empty Bacardi rum bottle that was found in the bedroom with tissue fragments and DNA on it. Also found in the bedroom near Faith’s body was a fast-food bag with a hand-written note that read, “IM NOT STUPID. BITCH.”

Male DNA was found at the scene, but her killer has not been found.

A DNA profile was created from DNA collected from the scene and semen collected in a sexual assault kit. Investigators believe the DNA belongs to the killer, Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said in a 2014 press conference.

In 2016, police released an image generated by Parabon NanoLabs, a genetic testing lab in Reston, Virginia, of what the suspect who left the semen behind might look like based on the phenotype in his DNA profile. According to Parabon, the suspect was of Native American and European mixed ancestry or Latino with olive skin, brown or hazel eyes and black hair.

Police and family members believe Faith likely knew the person or persons involved in her murder.

Approximately 2,000 people have been questioned and the DNA of more than 100 people has been tested, Assistant Chapel Hill Police Chief Celisa Lehew told Dateline in April of 2020.

But nine years later, there’s still not a match.

Faith not only made an impact when she was alive, but her legacy lives on now with the Faith Hedgepeth Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship is offered to help a Native American woman from a North Carolina tribe earn a higher education.

“She wanted to help people. That was her dream,” her mother Connie told Dateline. “Now she’s helping women like herself every year.”

The family is offering a $40,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for Faith’s murder.

Anyone with information about Faith’s case should contact the Chapel Hill Police Department at 919-614-6363 or go to http://www.crimestoppers-chcunc.org.

*(if Rosario wasn't feeling well at the club then why did she go out again?)
The women left the apartment after midnight on Sept. 7 and went to a Chapel Hill nightclub on Rosemary Street called The Thrill. Surveillance footage shows them arriving at 12:40 a.m. Rosario told police that they left because she wasn’t feeling well, and the two are seen on surveillance footage leaving the club at 2:06 a.m.

They returned to Rosario’s apartment.

Around 4:25 a.m. Rosario told police that she left the apartment, picked up by a male friend, leaving Hedgepeth home alone and asleep in the bedroom. Rosario told police that she left the door unlocked.

9 years later, UNC student Faith Hedgepeth's murder remains unsolved​

This time of year can be tough for Alyssa Mozingo. Tuesday will mark nine years since her 19-year-old cousin, Faith Hedgepeth, was found murdered.

The UNC student's killing is still unsolved.

"It's getting prepared for the triggers, of seeing it in the news and not crying and holding it together," Mozingo said. "It's hard."

The Chapel Hill Police Department said investigators continue to work on the case daily, and that the department continues to receive assistance from the FBI and SBI.

A $40,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest.

An arrest has been made.

USA TODAY

Police make arrest in 2012 murder of college student at North Carolina​

Mike Snider, USA TODAY
Thu, September 16, 2021, 8:21 PM·2 min read

Chapel Hill police charged a man Thursday with murder in the 2012 murder of a University of North Carolina student, who was beaten to death.
Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares, 28, of Durham, North Carolina, was arrested in connection with the death of Faith Hedgepeth, Chapel Hill Chief of Police Chris Blue said in a news conference covered by several news outlets. "Today's announcement marks the next phase of the investigation," he said.
Salguero-Olivares is charged with first-degree murder and is being held without bail. It's not known if he has an attorney. Assistant Police Chief Celisa Lehew said the investigation is not complete, but provided no additional details.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Hedgepeth, a student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, was 19 years old when her roommate found her body in their off-campus apartment on Sept. 7, 2012. An autopsy showed Hedgepeth suffered cuts on her head and face along with skull fractures, and she was also badly beaten on her arms and legs.

What we know about the murder suspect charged 9 years after Faith Hedgepeth’s death​

Police have not said what relationship, if any, Salguero-Olivares had to Hedgepeth.

He was arrested after investigators made a positive DNA match Wednesday with a profile derived from the original crime scene, officials said at a Thursday news conference.

Friday, he made his first appearance in Durham court where he was denied bond. He appeared in court via video-conferencing while the courtroom, including Roland Hedgepeth, Faith’s father, watched.

Statements made about his case were relayed to him through an interpreter. He was appointed a public defender, and his next hearing is scheduled Oct. 7.

She has no clue how Salguero-Olivares, then a recently arrived immigrant from Guatemala, could have known the college student.

“I’m truly surprised that he is a suspect because ... when someone immigrates from their home country, they come here with a focus on working, not to (go to college),” Vicente told The N&O. “In the first place, he didn’t know the language and secondly he didn’t have the financial means to be able to go to college.”

Salguero-Olivares was not initially a suspect in the homicide case, according to police, who have not said when that changed.

Chapel Hill Police said they tested hundreds of DNA samples since 2012 to rule out suspects.

At the time of the murder, Salguero-Olivares was 19, in the United States only a couple of years and spoke little to no English, according to Vicente.

Court records indicate that before Salguero-Olivares moved to Durham, he lived in an apartment complex on Ephesus Church Road in Chapel Hill.

Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares: Man Charged in Faith Hedgepeth’s Murder​

Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares is a 28-year-old Durham man who has been charged in the 2012 murder of University of North Carolina student Faith Hedgepeth in Chapel Hill. Salguero-Olivares was charged with first-degree murder on September 16, 2021. The 19-year-old UNC student was killed in her off-campus apartment on September 7, 2012. Her roommate found her body and called 911 to report there was “blood everywhere,” according to investigators.

1. Salguero-Olivares Was Identified After His DNA Matched Evidence From the Crime Scene, Police Say

Authorities in North Carolina announced the arrest of Miguel Salguero-Olivares during a press conference on September 16, 2021, more than nine years after Faith Hedgepeth was killed in her apartment. The investigation was led by the Chapel Hill Police Department and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the Durham County District Attorney and the state attorney general’s office, the state crime lab and other agencies, including the FBI, officials said. Parabon Labs also assisted. Salguero-Olivares was identified through DNA, authorities said.

2. Salguero-Olivares Currently Lives in Durham, Previously Lived in Chapel Hill, Worked as a Painter & Moved to the United States From Guatemala in 2010, Neighbors Say & Records Show

Salguero-Olivares came to the U.S. from Guatemala when he was a teen, in 2010, about two years before Hedgepeth was killed, the Raleigh News & Observer reports. His most recent address was in Durham, where he worked as a painter, according to records. His neighbor told the newspaper Salguero-Olivares spoke little to no English when he came to the United States.

Before moving to Durham, Salguero-Olivares lived in an apartment complex on Ephesus Church Road in Chapel Hill, the News & Observer reports. Few other details about Salguero-Olivares have been revealed. According to CBS 17, Salguero-Olivares said in court documents he has worked at a pizzeria.

Salguero-Olivares’ mother told WRAL, “My son is not a murderer. I believe in my son. I believe it. He said he don’t know the girl.” She said he never attended UNC-Chapel Hill and didn’t have many friends at the university. The news station wrote, “A family friend of Salguero-Olivares told WRAL that the act doesn’t fit the person she knows, pointing to principles passed down from his parents and grandparents.”

3. Salguero-Olivares Was Convicted on a DWI Charge in 2014, Has Pending Traffic Offenses & Had an Active Warrant for Failure to Appear in Court When He Was Arrested, Records Show

Salguero-Olivares was convicted of driving while intoxicated in 2014 in Orange County, North Carolina, court records show. He was most recently arrested in Raleigh, North Carolina, in August 2021 on charges of driving while intoxicated and driving without a license or insurance, according to Spectrum Local News.

The news station wrote, “Jails in North Carolina routinely take DNA samples from people arrested and feed those into a database to see if they match any pending cases.”

4. Police & Prosecutors Declined to Release Additional Details About the Accusations Against Salguero-Olivares, Including Whether They Know of a Motive or How He Ended Up in Hedgepeth’s Apartment

Police and prosecutors have declined to release many details about the investigation, including whether they know if Salguero-Olivares knew Hedgepeth. They have also not said if they know if there is a motive in the case. Salguero-Olivares would have been 19 when Hedgepeth was killed.

Hunter Glass, who worked on the case as a private investigator, told ABC 11 that Salguero-Olivares’ name had come up as having been at a party at Hedgepeth’s apartment complex, but he said he “didn’t stick out.” Police have not confirmed any details about a party and whether Salguero-Olivares was there. Glass told the news station, “I would want to know why and who else knew. I don’t believe that only one person knows this case. And I don’t believe that there was only two and one can’t tell us. So, I do believe that there were either other witnesses, I believe, or not witnesses, at least heard something, knew something but kept it close to their chest because they didn’t want to talk about it, or they were afraid they would be implicated in it.”

5. Salguero-Olivares Made His First Appearance in Court & Was Held Without Bond

Salguero-Olivares made his first court appearance on September 17, 2021, and was ordered held without bond on the first-degree murder charge. He is being represented by a public defender. His attorney could not immediately be reached by Heavy for comment on the case. Salguero-Olivares received the assistance of a translator during the court appearance. His next hearing was set for October 7, 2021.

134425-OLIVARES-DMID1-5s8i07ard-640x360.jpg

Still no arrests 8 years after UNC student Faith Hedgepeth was found dead in apartment

Eight years have passed since a University of North Carolina student was found dead in her Chapel Hill apartment, but police have still made no arrests in the case.

In 2016, a sketch of the possible killer was released. Using genetic code from DNA, a software company in Reston, VA was able to predict the eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, face morphology, and ancestry of the alleged killer.

In 2018, investigators told ABC11 they were working on Hedgepeth's case daily, and were confident it would be solved because of specific evidence, including a threatening note attached to a takeout order in the apartment, a broken rum bottle and semen from a sexual assault kit. Investigators also said they were working with geneticists to compare the killer's DNA to DNA in public databases.

Several people who were around Hedgepeth before her death have been interviewed and the DNA found at the scene was compared to persons of interests but no arrests have been made.

A $40,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest. Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at (919)942-7515.

View attachment 6679

11026892_faith-killer.jpg

Private investigator who worked on Hedgepeth case believes more arrests, charges possible​

On Sept. 16, a man was charged with murder in the 2012 beating death of University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill student Faith Hedgepeth.

Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares, 28, remains in jail at Durham County without bond in connection to Hedgepeth's death.

Private investigator Hunter Glass say he's not surprised someone was charged in her death, and he believes more people could face criminal charges.

"I wasn't surprised. [There's] an old saying, 'Crime isn't good if you can't eventually brag about it,'" said Glass.

An autopsy determined she had been beaten to death, and investigators said an empty liquor bottle was used.

Glass said he knew about Salguero-Olivares, but he did not have him listed as a possible suspect. Glass said he believes Salguero-Olivars may have come in to contact with Hedgepeth at a nearby club.

Glass said he think there will be more charges in Hedgepeth's death.

"Personal opinion, I think there is more to it than that. I think Miguel was involved -- that's obvious. I think at the same time, we will find out there were more people involved in this," he said.

DA not seeking death penalty in Faith Hedgepeth murder case​

Prosecutors don't plan to seek the death penalty against the man accused of killing University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student Faith Danielle Hedgepeth nine years ago.

Durham County District Attorney Satana Deberry filed notice Tuesday that her office will prosecute Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares as a non-capital case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back