ID DEORR KUNZ: Missing from Timber Creek Campground near Leadore, ID - 10 July 2015 - Age 2

1583707718907.png

DeOrr was last seen in Lemhi County, Idaho on July 10, 2015. He was with his parents, Jessica Mitchell and Vernal "DeOrr" Kunz Sr., his great-grandfather, Robert Walton, and Walton's friend Isaac Reinwand. The group was camping at Timber Creek Campground in a remote, mountainous area about ten miles west of Leadore, Idaho.

At 2:35 p.m. Mitchell called 911 and said her son had disappeared. According to her, she left DeOrr with Walton and she and DeOrr Sr. went to explore the campground, and when they returned about ten to fifteen minutes later, the child was gone. They looked for him for about twenty minutes before calling 911.

According to Mitchell, DeOrr never went anywhere without his blanket, his cup or his toy monkey; all these items were left at the campground. An extensive search of the area turned up no indication of his whereabouts.

Although DeOrr's parents speculated he had been abducted, police have named them as suspects in their son's disappearance. They had been engaged, but they ended their relationship after DeOrr's disappearance. Neither of them has an arrest record.

Investigators said there were inconsistencies in the parents' stories and they had both failed polygraph exams; they believe DeOrr was killed, either intentionally or by accident, and his parents know where his body is.

According to the sheriff, there was "no credible witness" to say they had definitely seen DeOrr at the campground, and it's possible he was never there at all. His case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Charley Project - http://charleyproject.org/case/deorr-jay-kunz-jr
NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.org/poster/NCMC/1251277
NamUs - https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/29726

1583707979549.png 1583707984808.png

Media - https://www.crimewatchers.net/media...near-leadore-id-since-10-july-2015-age-2.272/

Last edited:
To me, since they thought he was being watched, then there'd be no reason to lie about how long, but regardless, in that wilderness, just a couple of minutes would have been enough.
they also might not have been lying and it was just longer than they thought. Who looks at a clock when you are camping to actually know what time it is at nearly any given time?

The way I see it is if it is that wild then it is also that wild as far as child having to try to wander off through underbrush, thorns, roots, etc. He was TWO. I am not saying he can't have wandered far but I would imagine it wouldn't be far or long before he'd be crying imo from falling or being scratched, etc. I'm not saying there aren't animals but I grew up allowed to explore woods and such (hard to imagine nowadays) and wander and more and to go off the beaten track isn't easy for an older child even. I saw plenty of wildlife through my childhood, however, it was rare they came to you or out in the open and to snatch up a child with no screaming, mess, broken branches, etc. I don't know. There should have been some evidence or he was gone a long time and too far that anyone could hear his cries.

For me, I'd believe he tripped over a tree root and hit his head on a rock or fell down a ravine or cliff first... An animal coming along later, I could believe possibly. Wild animal attacks or kills of humans just are NOT that common. And a vast number of animals wouldn't even go near one.

All that said, they were not camping at a KOA and I do get that.
yet we read about it happening all the time and they always seem to be found much, much further than anybody thought they would get in that time.

yet we read about it happening all the time and they always seem to be found much, much further than anybody thought they would get in that time.
Yes wandering off on a trail maybe or walking where they can, etc. over time. Do they ignore mom and dad yelling for them, etc.? And not necessarily going through undergrowth, down ravines and more and then being snatched by an animal. 'And the ones we have heard about are found safe and that is how we know that they went that far in most cases. Honestly I can't think of many children's bodies found that were two years old where they wandered a long ways away that weren't foul play... Located children, yes, I can think of a few. Not a lot of 2 year olds though very far away found safe or dead imo that isn't foul play. And in cases that are, it is usually water that gets them, not animals..

And located children at that age that went many miles there is usually another story behind and it starts with they went missing earlier than acknowledged.

And even in some of the recovery stories... There is at least one case I don't buy although many (not on here) do in the case of a toddler boy. Jmo.

Yes wandering off on a trail maybe or walking where they can, etc. over time. Do they ignore mom and dad yelling for them, etc.? And not necessarily going through undergrowth, down ravines and more and then being snatched by an animal. 'And the ones we have heard about are found safe and that is how we know that they went that far in most cases. Honestly I can't think of many children's bodies found that were two years old where they wandered a long ways away that weren't foul play... Located children, yes, I can think of a few. Not a lot of 2 year olds though very far away found safe or dead imo that isn't foul play. And in cases that are, it is usually water that gets them, not animals..

And located children at that age that went many miles there is usually another story behind and it starts with they went missing earlier than acknowledged.

And even in some of the recovery stories... There is at least one case I don't buy although many (not on here) do in the case of a toddler boy. Jmo.
Im pretty sure this one meets the missing earlier than reported scenarios, but I do believe he was there with them , just no firm idea at all as to what actually happened and when

Im pretty sure this one meets the missing earlier than reported scenarios, but I do believe he was there with them , just no firm idea at all as to what actually happened and when
That is how I have always felt about it. I know some debate his very presence and while I can see why, I don't lean either way really on that one but do think he was PROBABLY there. I will say though if such an area as to worry greatly about wildlife and wilderness then he should have been watched like a hawk or ensuring another was watching him like a hawk. I do remember a lot about this one. I get we all make mistakes and I even get different generations think differently as to child care or overseeing depending on their own experiences/areas, etc. but...

they also might not have been lying and it was just longer than they thought. Who looks at a clock when you are camping to actually know what time it is at nearly any given time?
Right? Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone could say precisely and yeah, I think it could've been longer, but to me, it doesn't matter. The way I see it, there was time enough in which no one was watching Deor.

Right? Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone could say precisely and yeah, I think it could've been longer, but to me, it doesn't matter. The way I see it, there was time enough in which no one was watching Deor.
yep and who knows how long that actually was. A lot can happen fast and more time leaves more to happen. I'm pretty confident that the parents were gone far longer than they claimed.

Please appreciate the fact that statistics AREN'T evidence (lol).
I don't do statistics. I just rarely hear of one. I do hear of shark attacks more often and those aren't that common either.

For growing up in the "north woods" in fact I never heard of an animal attacking a human, not even bears nor bobcats, etc. I have heard of them very occasionally elsewhere and generally there is often a reason behind them too like an animal's offspring nearby. Maybe if Deorr wandered near a den of cubs or got between mother and cubs or something but again, no sign, no noise, no evidence of such a thing. Anything could have happened to him and exposure and dehydration etc. are far more likely imo as are several other things.

This was in July right... Day time?

Yeah, but I think if you'll learn about mountain lions, you'll find it doesn't matter.
and that they are extremely quiet.

we had one close to here a few years ago. The people had no clue it was there on their property until it got hit on the highway and they traced to where it came from. It had obviously been bedding there for a bit with people mowing very near it's spot and nobody knowing. Nobody had a clue it was even there.

Yeah, but I think if you'll learn about mountain lions, you'll find it doesn't matter.
In the Morphew case, the husband tried to push a mountain lion theory. It was debunked to no end and even laughed at quite honestly. I would have to look back at the videos, etc. but even former law enforcement homicide detectives had mountain lion experts on. No one believes in that case a mountain lion took her.

Now granted the cases are different but much is similar, wilderness and wildlife, the missing person hasn't been found. NO sign of one, no broken branches, trail, blood, nothing. And there isn't here either is there?

They are most active at dawn and dusk and night, I also know that. They mainly flee at the sound of human voices and are more afraid of people than the other way around it is said 99.99 percent of the time, even if feeding.

If Deorr tripped, fell, was injured and bleeding, I can believe as far as remains animal activity at some point took over. I don't buy the attack theory or snatching him from the general area of the campsite. And maybe just maybe if the smell of blood, one would attack but I still doubt it.

But hey, nothing wrong with disagreeing.

For perspective:

Experts point to the numbers. In the last 100 years, less than two dozen people have been killed by mountain lions in North America, and no human has ever been killed by a mountain lion in Utah. (For perspective, around 20 people are killed every year by cows.) A person is far more likely to be struck by lightning or drown in their own bathtub than to be attacked by a cougar. “It’s this latent, intuitive sense of danger. It’s not based on statistics or probabilities of being attacked,” David Stoner, Utah State University mountain lion researcher, says.

From Deseret.com

and that they are extremely quiet.

we had one close to here a few years ago. The people had no clue it was there on their property until it got hit on the highway and they traced to where it came from. It had obviously been bedding there for a bit with people mowing very near it's spot and nobody knowing. Nobody had a clue it was even there.
(I'm sorry to hear it was hit.)
Indeed, they're stealthy and so you know, it's not at all surprising that no one knew it'd been there.
Anyway, apparently, that property was part of the lion's territory and I think it's possible that another lion has since claimed it.

(I'm sorry to hear it was hit.)
Indeed, they're stealthy and so you know, it's not at all surprising that no one knew it'd been there.
Anyway, apparently, that property was part of the lion's territory and I think it's possible that another lion has since claimed it.
I live right by the MO river and the conservation dept believes it was just roaming either up or down the river looking for a mate and was just there temporarily. This is just one creek bed over from me! It appeared it had traveled from the river and up the creek and had plenty of food in deer alone. No signs of another one and they have been monitoring. They guessed that it looked like it had probably been there for about a weekish. It was near a very residential area is where the problem was. A few miles up or downstream and it would have never been noticed at all, most likely.

The Klein Investigation team has been keeping close tabs on the case. Justiceforbabydeorr.com shared an update just a couple of weeks ago that states the team is focusing its attention "off the mountain," and are "exploring a secondary location." Perhaps investigators believe the boy may have been transported away from the campground at some point around the reported time of the disappearance.

UPDATE ON KLEINS SEARCH FOR DEORR

Klein has moved off the mountain for now and is exploring a secondary location as of 11/17/2022
We still can't release any of these specific locations but we will continue to update everyone as we get more information and are able to share.

In case post doesn't appear, which it's doing on my end...

DeOrr Kunz turns 10 today. He’s been missing over 7 years now. Family and friends released blue balloons into the sky for his birthday. They invite everyone, no matter where you are, to get a balloon and do the same.

322555499_5840920069308570_1457889939540471418_n.jpg
322012022_564924321771423_1083332348542372043_n.jpg

I’m not sure. IF it was them, and it was an accident, I’d expect them to show some emotion during those interviews. But Kline and co. say there was no hint of sadness.

I can’t wait for Part 3!
Interviews and pressers are always good indicators. "Susan Smith". That fake crying. "Casey Anthony" Murderer. Not even sad your daughter's dead?. "Scott Peterson" Psh. No emotion. Stone faced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusSimo
Back