ID DEORR KUNZ: Missing from Timber Creek Campground near Leadore, ID - 10 July 2015 - Age 2

1583707718907.png

DeOrr was last seen in Lemhi County, Idaho on July 10, 2015. He was with his parents, Jessica Mitchell and Vernal "DeOrr" Kunz Sr., his great-grandfather, Robert Walton, and Walton's friend Isaac Reinwand. The group was camping at Timber Creek Campground in a remote, mountainous area about ten miles west of Leadore, Idaho.

At 2:35 p.m. Mitchell called 911 and said her son had disappeared. According to her, she left DeOrr with Walton and she and DeOrr Sr. went to explore the campground, and when they returned about ten to fifteen minutes later, the child was gone. They looked for him for about twenty minutes before calling 911.

According to Mitchell, DeOrr never went anywhere without his blanket, his cup or his toy monkey; all these items were left at the campground. An extensive search of the area turned up no indication of his whereabouts.

Although DeOrr's parents speculated he had been abducted, police have named them as suspects in their son's disappearance. They had been engaged, but they ended their relationship after DeOrr's disappearance. Neither of them has an arrest record.

Investigators said there were inconsistencies in the parents' stories and they had both failed polygraph exams; they believe DeOrr was killed, either intentionally or by accident, and his parents know where his body is.

According to the sheriff, there was "no credible witness" to say they had definitely seen DeOrr at the campground, and it's possible he was never there at all. His case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Charley Project - http://charleyproject.org/case/deorr-jay-kunz-jr
NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.org/poster/NCMC/1251277
NamUs - https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/29726

1583707979549.png 1583707984808.png

Media - https://www.crimewatchers.net/media...near-leadore-id-since-10-july-2015-age-2.272/

Last edited:

Grandmother still ‘prays for answers every day’ eight years after DeOrr Kunz disappeared​

It’s been eight years since DeOrr Kunz Jr. vanished while on a camping trip in Lemhi County and his grandmother continues to “pray for answers every day.”

There has been no sign of DeOrr since that day, and nobody has been charged in connection to his disappearance.

“I still have faith and pray for answers every day,” Trina Clegg, DeOrr’s grandmother, said in a statement. “I remember all the great times, laughs and your beautiful eyes and smile. I have and will never give up hoping for the answers until the day I die.”

Lemhi County Sheriff Steve Penner tells EastIdahoNews.com that searches for DeOrr, who turned ten years old on Dec. 30, have never stopped.

“We look at what we’ve done and new information we get and move forward with that,” Penner says. “We haven’t given up. He’s a little boy that went missing. He was lost and when someone’s lost, you look for them.”

Professional and volunteer crews on foot, horseback and ATVs have scoured the remote campground dozens of times over the years. Searches have been performed from the air using helicopters and drones.

Three private investigators have conducted their own investigations into the case but no solid evidence on DeOrr’s whereabouts has been produced.

“I give great thanks to everyone who still helps with looking and keeping positive thoughts and prayers in the name of Baby DeOrr,” Clegg says. “I am eternally grateful for all law enforcement that continues to help seek for the answers to the nightmare at Timbercreek Campground. I love you Baby DeOrr – today, tomorrow and for eternal!”

8 years since DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared at Timber Creek Campground​

Eight years have passed since 2-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared at Timber Creek Campground near Leadore on July 10, 2015.

The Lemhi County Sheriff told KTVB officers still plan on doing their annual search of the area, but he would not say when that search would take place.

Trina Clegg, DeOrr's grandmother, released this statement on Monday:

"Today marks 8 years of this ongoing nightmare. I still have faith and pray for answers everyday. I remember all the great times, laughs and your beautiful eyes and smile. I have and will never give up hoping for the answers until the day I die. I give great thanks to everyone who still helps with looking and keeping positive thoughts and prayers in the name of baby DeOrr. I am eternally grateful for all law enforcement that continues to help seek for the answers to the nightmare at Timber Creek Camp Ground. I love you baby DeOrr today, tomorrow and for eternal!"

The case has drawn intense scrutiny from people around the nation. Spectators have questioned whether DeOrr had been killed by an animal, snatched by a kidnapper, or been the victim of foul play. Much of the speculation focused on the adults who had been with DeOrr at the Timber Creek campground: the boy's mother, father, great-grandfather and a family friend.

Named suspects in the case have gone back and forth -- In 2016, the Lemhi County Sheriff named DeOrr's parents suspects in his disappearance.

According to previous reporting by KTVB, the sheriff said the parents of DeOrr have been "less than truthful" since the investigation began.

"They refused to give us any further information to clear up the untruthfulness and they've changed their story on numerous occasions," Sheriff Lynn Bowerman told KTVB. Bowerman also said it was highly unlikely DeOrr was kidnapped. There's one road in and one road out to the remote Timber Creek Campground -- if an animal had taken him, there would be evidence left behind, like DeOrr's boots that were too big for him. Bowerman believed they would have fallen off. After days and weeks of searching, not a trace of DeOrr was found at the campground.

DeOrr's parents have been adamant they had nothing to do with their son's disappearance.

From the above.

Named suspects in the case have gone back and forth -- In 2016, the Lemhi County Sheriff named DeOrr's parents suspects in his disappearance.

According to previous reporting by KTVB, the sheriff said the parents of DeOrr have been "less than truthful" since the investigation began.

"They refused to give us any further information to clear up the untruthfulness and they've changed their story on numerous occasions," Sheriff Lynn Bowerman told KTVB. Bowerman also said it was highly unlikely DeOrr was kidnapped. There's one road in and one road out to the remote Timber Creek Campground -- if an animal had taken him, there would be evidence left behind, like DeOrr's boots that were too big for him. Bowerman believed they would have fallen off. After days and weeks of searching, not a trace of DeOrr was found at the campground.

It's pretty much a total match for the opinion I've had for years.

Guess who’s back. Back again.

8 years ago DeOrr Kunz Jr. went missing – Now investigator Klein back on the case
It's been eight years since 2-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr. went missing at Timber Creek Campground near Leadore. He's been missing since July 10, 2015.
After being off the case for many years due to a major falling out, former investigator Philip Klein, with Klein Investigations & Consulting out of Nederland, Texas has been rehired by a family member, who he said must remain anonymous, to continue looking into what happened to baby DeOrr.

The cold case is again beginning to heat up.

"As much as everybody wants this thing to go away and everybody to be quiet and just move on," Klein said. "The questions need to be answered for the family and those that DeOrr left behind... The second thing is really for the citizens of Idaho. They need to know if they have a murderer in their grasp."

To this day, Klein still believes the parents, Jessica Mitchell and Vernal DeOrr Kunz, know what happened to their son. Klein says, "I'm the only one in the room that has always said, 'I don't think it was an intentional homicide, I think it was an accident, and it's a cover up on an accident.' And if it is a cover up of an accident, just come clean."

The parents still insist they had nothing to do with DeOrr's disappearance.

Year after year, efforts have not stopped to find DeOrr truly figure out what may have happened to him.

"You can assume we are coming back (to Idaho) very soon. You can assume that surveillance operations are on going," Klein said.

He is looking to find any evidence they may have missed the first time within the timeline.

After reviewing all the evidence over and over again, Klein is still confident he can solve the case and find the 2-year-old's body.

"You go back over what the parents say, then you go back over what the rescuers say, then you go back over what law enforcement says and you put it into a pot. And as we like to say down here on the coast we make it into a gumbo and you pull a ladle of the gumbo out and you taste it. If it tastes good, well there you go... If it tastes sour or gross, then you throw it out and start over again," Klein said. "That's what we have been doing, is we've been going over everyone's testimony."

Klein believes they are "very close" to solving this case.

"This case is solvable. The evidence is there," he said. "This case is not only solvable but it is staring us right in the face."

The parents statements are inconsistent. What the father said happened at the convenience store were lies. The beer truck. He said Deorr sat in the truck after he was excited to see it. The driver said he makes all deliveries in the back. He didn't let a child sit in the truck. It's against policy. And all the, I thought you were watching him. I thought you were. I don't think it was intentional either. But negligent. The guy that was friends with the grandfather was very strange. He didn't want to grant interviews. Way younger guy than grandfather.

8 years ago DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared – Kunz family lawyer speaking out after former investigator gets involved again​

On Tuesday, the father's lawyer is speaking out about how his client is coping and how they feel about a former investigator getting involved again.

Attorney Allen Browning with Browning Law in Idaho Falls represents DeOrr's father, Vernal Kunz. He is once again defending his client, claiming Vernal's innocence.

Private Investigator Philip Klein says he has been hired back to investigate DeOrr's disappearance and find out where he may be. Klein believes DeOrr's parents, Vernal Kunz and Jessica Mitchell, know what happened, but Browning is shutting down those accusations.

"You don't find the child by torturing the parents, particularly when the parents in this case are innocent, they're victims themselves," Browning said. "It's enough to suffer for the fact that they don't know where the child is. But it's worse to have someone constantly accusing you of killing your child."

Klein was let go by the family years ago because of his accusations. Then, Vernal hired another private investigator named David Marshburn, who is no longer involved in this case.

"Marshburn reported some things to Vernal that were very disturbing to Vernal and since hearing that, vernal is stopped looking for his son," Browning said.

Browning said Vernal worked effortlessly to find DeOrr before stopping his search.

"I have worked with vernal to to do what we can to work together to see if we can find this child, for years and Vernal was doing that. He was he was upbeat, you know, that, you know, he was going to find his son. He was very upbeat about that. Until he got some information from Mr. Marshburn," Browning said.

There is still hope to find DeOrr, but Browning is urgently asking for the accusations to cease, and to simply focus on finding the child.

"It's great to be concerned about finding DeOrr Jr. We support that 100%. It's not okay to say that because we don't know where the child is, we should make the parents suffer. That's horrible. That's vicious," Browning said.

What the father said happened at the convenience store were lies. The beer truck. He said Deorr sat in the truck after he was excited to see it. The driver said he makes all deliveries in the back. He didn't let a child sit in the truck. It's against policy.
You mean the driver denied having seen Deorr?

The parents statements are inconsistent. What the father said happened at the convenience store were lies. The beer truck. He said Deorr sat in the truck after he was excited to see it. The driver said he makes all deliveries in the back. He didn't let a child sit in the truck. It's against policy. And all the, I thought you were watching him. I thought you were. I don't think it was intentional either. But negligent. The guy that was friends with the grandfather was very strange. He didn't want to grant interviews. Way younger guy than grandfather.
yeah that was odd, the guy with grandpa. it's all odd.

i don't know that they will ever have a prosecutable case but no stranger came in and kidnapped this child and no wild animal did either. i don't think there is anything that can convince me of that. at best he was not being watched and at worst well i don't want to go there but i am sure we've all wondered. anything from a loss of temper at him to the guy with grandpa, dong something, etc., etc. I don't think anyone being honest hasn't thought of all the possible scenarios.

AND was he ever there? That's questioned in this case too isn't it?

Guess who’s back. Back again.

8 years ago DeOrr Kunz Jr. went missing – Now investigator Klein back on the case
It's been eight years since 2-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr. went missing at Timber Creek Campground near Leadore. He's been missing since July 10, 2015.
After being off the case for many years due to a major falling out, former investigator Philip Klein, with Klein Investigations & Consulting out of Nederland, Texas has been rehired by a family member, who he said must remain anonymous, to continue looking into what happened to baby DeOrr.

The cold case is again beginning to heat up.

"As much as everybody wants this thing to go away and everybody to be quiet and just move on," Klein said. "The questions need to be answered for the family and those that DeOrr left behind... The second thing is really for the citizens of Idaho. They need to know if they have a murderer in their grasp."

To this day, Klein still believes the parents, Jessica Mitchell and Vernal DeOrr Kunz, know what happened to their son. Klein says, "I'm the only one in the room that has always said, 'I don't think it was an intentional homicide, I think it was an accident, and it's a cover up on an accident.' And if it is a cover up of an accident, just come clean."

The parents still insist they had nothing to do with DeOrr's disappearance.

Year after year, efforts have not stopped to find DeOrr truly figure out what may have happened to him.

"You can assume we are coming back (to Idaho) very soon. You can assume that surveillance operations are on going," Klein said.

He is looking to find any evidence they may have missed the first time within the timeline.

After reviewing all the evidence over and over again, Klein is still confident he can solve the case and find the 2-year-old's body.

"You go back over what the parents say, then you go back over what the rescuers say, then you go back over what law enforcement says and you put it into a pot. And as we like to say down here on the coast we make it into a gumbo and you pull a ladle of the gumbo out and you taste it. If it tastes good, well there you go... If it tastes sour or gross, then you throw it out and start over again," Klein said. "That's what we have been doing, is we've been going over everyone's testimony."

Klein believes they are "very close" to solving this case.

"This case is solvable. The evidence is there," he said. "This case is not only solvable but it is staring us right in the face."
i don't think he will unearth anything new ever. IF however, this poor boy's body is ever found that would be the only thing I think that may give the case some real movement BUT even if it is after this long, what they may be unable to determine would still possibly cause issues.

However, if he was found somewhere that showed he was never at the campground, that would show major lies by some BUT then whoever would just claim a kidnapper took him and dumped him elsewhere. And that may well be the reason for pushing the thought someone else took him. And so on and on.

I don't think this child will get justice here on earth sadly.

He was so tiny. I doubt he will ever be found. I also think it was accidental, followed by a cover up.
I agree that's the most likely. Accidental or very negligent or loss of temper, etc.. Cover up. Lies. Then have had to stick to those lies. Jmho.

Several people though that stuck to those lies. Not a one has been broken down and admitted to anything. So that's some food for thought. Why unless so bad on all parts... Possible though.

Does anyone remember the Deorr-sat-in-a-beer-truck story (post #65)? Or better yet, where to find it?
Despite having spent a considerable amount of time looking, I haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone remember the Deorr-sat-in-a-beer-truck story (post #65)? Or better yet, where to find it?
Despite having spent a considerable amount of time looking, I haven't been able to find it.
I can't help you out there. Rings a distant bell. @Mel70 may know more as she referred to it. I'm interested in being refreshed on that myself. I do know there were lies and inconsistencies.

This was the closest I could find but it’s not MSM the info isn’t sourced.

• In another statement, Vernel said that Jessica went in alone and that he and Deorr ran into the Budweiser guy and they talked and high fived and all sat him up in the truck.
    • The Budweiser guy never saw the child, “I would remember putting a child in my truck because it’s against company policy and we park in the back of the store, not the front of the store. All vendors are required to do that.”

This was the closest I could find but it’s not MSM the info isn’t sourced.

• In another statement, Vernel said that Jessica went in alone and that he and Deorr ran into the Budweiser guy and they talked and high fived and all sat him up in the truck.
    • The Budweiser guy never saw the child, “I would remember putting a child in my truck because it’s against company policy and we park in the back of the store, not the front of the store. All vendors are required to do that.”
Thanks but no thanks. I don't have the patience, it's just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, from that written account, I don't see the Budweiser guy denying that he saw Deorr, I see him denying to remember that he put a child in his truck.

I can't help you out there. Rings a distant bell. @Mel70 may know more as she referred to it. I'm interested in being refreshed on that myself. I do know there were lies and inconsistencies.
Yeah, I hear over and over that there are lies and inconsistencies and that's why I try to find the source of info.
As for inconsistencies, in general, I'd expect that there would be. As for lies, I don't know of any.

Edit: I want to add that I recall hearing Vernal say something about Deorr excited to see a truck but it seems like that was all there was to it.

Last edited:
He was so tiny. I doubt he will ever be found. I also think it was accidental, followed by a cover up.
I don't think that happens in real life.
In the Anthony trial, Dr. G testified that even when the parent's on crack and even when the body is stiff, they still, always, call 911.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helender
Back