Waukesha, WI Christmas Parade attack

211121192558-03-waukesha-incident-1121-red-suv-super-169.jpg

Multiple victims have been transported from the scene to area hospitals via ambulance and others were taken by officers, after a red SUV drove through the Waukesha Christmas Parade, Waukesha Police Chief Daniel P. Thompson said in a press conference.

The Waukesha Police Department has sent a push alert to cellular phones in the area asking those "within a ½ mile radius of the 5 points downtown" to immediately shelter in place.

People were seen on the ground injured after the incident, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel intern Kaylee Staral, who was at the parade, told CNN's Pamela Brown Sunday night.

About "20 to 30 minutes into the parade a red SUV came running down the middle of the street -- there were a lot of screams -- and we almost thought maybe it was Santa but it was a red SUV and it hit a lot of people," Staral said.

Waukesha parade attack: Darrell Brooks charged with 5 homicide counts, bail set at $5M: LIVE UPDATES​

At least six people are dead and dozens are injured after an SUV plowed through a Christmas parade in Wisconsin on Sunday. The suspect, Darrell E. Brooks Jr., a 39-year-old career criminal who made bail twice this year, will face multiple homicide counts.

FAST FACTS​

• Six people were killed and at least 62 others were injured when a 39-year-old man driving an SUV plowed through the Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin, a city of about 70,000.
  • The suspect, Darrell E. Brooks Jr., 39, made bail twice in Wisconsin this year despite having an active sex crime warrant out of Nevada and claiming to be indigent, court records show.
  • Waukesha residents came together Monday evening to pay their respects to those who lost their lives in the tragedy

Detective: Parade horror was an 'intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible'​

Waukesha police detectives and witnesses of Sunday's Christmas parade attack said that Darrell Brooks tried to "strike and hurt as many people as possible" as he plowed through the crowd in a "zig zag driving pattern," according to a criminal complaint filed in the Waukesha County Circuit Court on Tuesday.

"The vehicle took an abrupt left turn into the crowd of parade participants. At this point, it was clear to Officer Butryn that this was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible," Waukesha police Captain Tom Wagner wrote in the criminal complaint. "He observed the vehicle appeared to be intentionally moving side to side, striking multiple people, and bodies and objects were flying from the area of the vehicle."

As Officer Butryn yelled, “Stop, stop the vehicle," Brooks continued past police and barricades, according to the complaint.

"Officer Butryn observed the driver looking straight ahead, directly at him, and it appeared he had no emotion on his face," Wagner wrote.

The complaint also details the five first-degree intentional homicide accounts that Brooks is facing, each of which carries a mandatory life sentence.

All five adult victims died of "multiple blunt force injuries," the Waukesha County Medical Examiner’s office found. A child also died on Tuesday, bringing the total number of deceased victims to six.

At least 62 others were injured in the attack.

Detective: Parade horror was an 'intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible'​

Waukesha police detectives and witnesses of Sunday's Christmas parade attack said that Darrell Brooks tried to "strike and hurt as many people as possible" as he plowed through the crowd in a "zig zag driving pattern," according to a criminal complaint filed in the Waukesha County Circuit Court on Tuesday.

"The vehicle took an abrupt left turn into the crowd of parade participants. At this point, it was clear to Officer Butryn that this was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible," Waukesha police Captain Tom Wagner wrote in the criminal complaint. "He observed the vehicle appeared to be intentionally moving side to side, striking multiple people, and bodies and objects were flying from the area of the vehicle."

As Officer Butryn yelled, “Stop, stop the vehicle," Brooks continued past police and barricades, according to the complaint.

"Officer Butryn observed the driver looking straight ahead, directly at him, and it appeared he had no emotion on his face," Wagner wrote.

The complaint also details the five first-degree intentional homicide accounts that Brooks is facing, each of which carries a mandatory life sentence.

All five adult victims died of "multiple blunt force injuries," the Waukesha County Medical Examiner’s office found. A child also died on Tuesday, bringing the total number of deceased victims to six.

At least 62 others were injured in the attack.

Numbers keep going up. 6 dead and 62 injured now. I bet there will be more, sadly.

Sounds like he almost got away!!!! According to this he took refuge in a house after the incident and said he was homeless and needed to wait for a Uber. Sounds a bit weird to me. Would you let a homeless person you did not know into your home?

From the article

Home security video appears to show suspect’s arrest​

A home security video appears to showBrooks' arrest after he approached a resident asking for help, NBC News reported.

Brooks knocked on the resident's door Sunday about 20 minutes after the crash and told the resident he was homeless and waiting for an Uber.

The resident told NBC News he had been hunting and was unaware of what had happened at the parade. He let Brooks inside, gave him a jacket and sandwich and let him use his phone before seeing police cars drive by, NBC reported.

The man asked Brooks to leave, and as he exited the house, police officers arrived and told him to put his hands up, the resident said. Part of that interaction was captured on the home security video.

What we know about the suspect​

Thompson provided few details of the domestic disturbance that happened before Brooks drove through the parade but said there had been a report of a knife and police did not respond to that scene before they went to the parade.

Wisconsin horror: Timeline of SUV driver's destructive path along Waukesha parade route

Sounds like he almost got away!!!! According to this he took refuge in a house after the incident and said he was homeless and needed to wait for a Uber. Sounds a bit weird to me. Would you let a homeless person you did not know into your home?

From the article

A home security video appears to showBrooks' arrest after he approached a resident asking for help, NBC News reported.

Brooks knocked on the resident's door Sunday about 20 minutes after the crash and told the resident he was homeless and waiting for an Uber.

The resident told NBC News he had been hunting and was unaware of what had happened at the parade. He let Brooks inside, gave him a jacket and sandwich and let him use his phone before seeing police cars drive by, NBC reported.

The man asked Brooks to leave, and as he exited the house, police officers arrived and told him to put his hands up, the resident said. Part of that interaction was captured on the home security video.

Thompson provided few details of the domestic disturbance that happened before Brooks drove through the parade but said there had been a report of a knife and police did not respond to that scene before they went to the parade.

Wisconsin horror: Timeline of SUV driver's destructive path along Waukesha parade route

I'm a homeless man that just happens to have a credit card, which is needed to get an Uber, on me and so I'm just waiting for it.

From the article

I might not even let people i know into my house!

Pity they could not have chosen a colour they have an excess of.....

What good does this do honestly ?

ETA Maybe instead put up your Christmas lights early to show support?

I wonder why they couldn't have done red and white. To the best of my knowledge red, white, and black are murder victim's light colors. The past 2 years my city's Christmas lights have been blue for a period of time in honor of two police we lost around that time. I think last year we were blue until the officer's funeral, then switched to whatever colors the Christmas plan was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back