KS VERONICA BUTLER & JILIAN KELLEY: Missing from Hugoton, KS - 30 March 2024 - Age 27 & 39 *Found Deceased*

1712518811843.png 1712518826245.png

Foul play suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found in Oklahoma​

Foul play is suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found abandoned in the Oklahoma Panhandle last weekend, authorities said Friday.

Veronica Butler, 27, and Jilian Kelley, 39, of Hugoton, Kansas, were driving to Oklahoma to pick up Butler’s children to attend a March 30 birthday party in Kansas but never showed up, Tom Singer, the pastor of the church Butler attended, told KOCO-TV.

Hunter McKee, an Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokesperson, said investigators believe foul play led to women’s disappearance based on what was found their vehicle.

McKee declined to say what evidence was found in the vehicle, citing the continuing investigation.

The sheriff’s office has turned the investigation over to the OSBI.

“We’re still looking into where and when they were last seen,” McKee said.

McKee said no children are missing.

Investigators are searching the area in Texas County around where the vehicle was found, according to McKee, about 11 miles (18 kilometers) south of Elkhart, Kansas, on the Oklahoma-Kansas state line.

MEDIA - VERONICA BUTLER & JILIAN KELLEY: Missing from Hugoton, KS - 30 March 2024 - Age 27 & 39

Last edited:
Info pulled from the documents above.

Court Doc: Accused Killers Tried to Kill Veronica Butler in February Over Custody Dispute​

The most critical information in the affidavit came from the 16-year-old daughter of Cora Trombly and Coby White, apparently her previous husband. Identified in the document as CW, the girl told investigators that her mother, Cole Trombly, Adams, Cullum, and another man were all “involved in the deaths of Butler and Kelley.”

CW said that Adams provided the group with burner phones to communicate, and that she had seen two of the phones charging in her mother’s bedroom. The four were all part of an anti-government religious group, she said. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation confirmed that information and said they called themselves “God’s Misfits” and that they met weekly at another couple’s home.

“CW was told on March 29, 2024, that Cora and Cole would not be home in the morning when she woke and were going on a ‘mission,'” the affidavit says.

She awoke at about 10 a.m. on March 30, and her mother and her husband were gone, having taken a blue and gray Chevrolet pickup and a blue flatbed pickup owned by a relative. The girl said she was told the clean the Chevrolet when they returned.

“CW asked Cora what had happened and was told that things did not go as planned, but they would not have to worry about her (Butler) again,” the affidavit says. “CW was told that Cora and Cole blocked the road to stop Butler and Kelley and divert them to where Adams, Cullum, and [the fifth man] were. CW asked about Kelley and why she had to die and was told by Cora that she wasn’t innocent either, as she had supported Butler.”

“CW asked Cora if their bodies were put in a well, and Cora replied, ‘something like that.'”

CW also told investigators that the same five people had gone to Kansas in February with a plan to kill Butler, but she would not leave her home, coinciding with a search on Adams’ phone about that time about how to get someone out of their house.

“According to Cora, the plan was to throw an anvil through Butler’s windshield while driving, making it look like an accident because anvils regularly fall off of work vehicles,” the affidavit said.

It’s not clear why the fifth man was not arrested.

The affidavit also says that Cora and Cole Trombly arrived in Texas while the investigator was interviewing the daughter.

“Cora was verbally aggressive and was very upset with your affiant that she was not granted access to CW and her brother,” the officer wrote in the affidavit. “Cole exited the vehicle armed with a handgun in a holster on his belt.”

According to the affidavit, Butler told her family members she was picking up the children from Adams at a particular intersection in Oklahoma called Four Corners (State Highway 95 and US 64) in Texas County, Oklahoma, at 10 a.m. on March 30. Cell phone date showed the two women travelled to Highway 95 and Road L, about 5 miles north of the intersection where they were to meet Adams, stopping there about 20 minutes before 10. At about that time, their cell phones vanished from carriers.

The plan had been for Butler to bring her daughter to a birthday party. When she never arrived, family members began searching, and eventually found her vehicle just west of the Highway 95 and Road L intersection. They contacted police shortly after noon, and officers arrived on scene, finding “evidence of severe injury,” including blood on the roadway and the edge of the roadway, the affidavit said. They also found Butler’s glasses on the roadway near a broken hammer and a pistol magazine — but no firearm — in Kelley’s purse.

When investigators spoke with Adams, she told them that the children had spent the night at another couple’s home the night before and that she’d planned to pick them up before the visitation. But, she said, she called Butler at 9 a.m., and Butler told her she wasn’t going to make it to the meeting.

The affidavit says that Butler’s phone records confirmed that phone call, which happened at precisely the time she was picking up Kelley in Hugoton, Kansas, for the trip to Oklahoma.

According to the affidavit, the custody battle for the children began in February 2019. Most recently, Butler had filed in February requesting extended visitation. A hearing was scheduled for April 17, and Butler’s attorney told investigators that she was likely to be granted unsupervised visitation at that time.

The long transcripts of the case, however, revealed that Adams was trying to control access to the children, even at times from her son. On more than one occasion, she refused to let him have them, although he had legal custody, and at one time law enforcement was called when she refused to do so. At that time, the officer reportedly told Rickman the children were “better off” with his mother.

Other documents in the case reveal Rickman discussing death threats by his mother, but the affidavit did not say who those threats were against.

Rickman’s grandmother, Debi Knox-Davis, told investigators that he had told her in February that “they didn’t have to worry about the custody battle much longer because Adams had it under control, that Adms knew the path the judge walked to work, and ‘we will take out Veronica at drop off.'” Rickman denied making those comments.

He was mentioned by the daughter as being part of the anti-government religious group.

But no arrest? He was actually mentioned as being there at the murder site.

Some YTer is claiming he's on the run, but being a YTer I tend to take that with a grain of salt.

This bunch is just as bad as the Daybell cult! :thud:
I am overtired, overwrought and overloaded. I left the Daybell thread as I knew I would not catch up or make it far trying to process all and read all and went to check toher thread and came here next.

After reading several posts so much to say but overloaded as mentioned and my first thing was going to be the guy you used. This one. :thud:

I had already wondered a bit with religion in that the mom was traveligni with a pastor or some such.

Others clearly I imagine from SM or somewhere knew things some of us didn't or I didn't.

But could read between lines just didn't know all this t read perfectly.

So many things to comment on and thoughts but can't do it right now so I am going to stick to one. This daughter as I read all this made me think of Tylee. One can assume she was raised in and around this madness and taught it even but they know better or see others that aren't that way and just have gut instincts or right and wrong.

The post where it seemed dad was even sticking up for mother, etc. (his ex) and talking against his mom was like whoa. Reading further he was even refused access. What a ___________.

There is so much here to tear into it isn't even funny. And I came to other threads for the fact I figured they'd not have too much to catch up on or too much new. And picked this one next...

So we have religion on both sides.

On one side anti government but religion.

But rather than support her son, who it confusingly said had legal custody, maybe gma only had physical, she denied him access to the children as well. Before I read most I wondered why another couple not family would even think about getting involved in something like this then it comes about they are all part of some tight types that and friends of gma etc. in this "group".

I'm going to stop there because I just can't and no one wants me to anyhow. I am beyond tonight. With everything right now.

Do I have it basically right though in what I've said?

I feel for this girl and I WONDERED how without a confession they came to these arrests and more but now we know. I think Tylee would have or was thinking about doing the same in Daybell. These nuts can raise them however and put on their show and you name it and convince them so and so is bad and this is right only for so long and they overhear stuff, see it go beyond but they also see and hear the normal world. And see GOOD and NORMAL people.

Full stop. So much again to pick apart or go into if ever time but picking this one as the next to look at when I am ready to fall asleep at 7 from lack of it for like three or four nights now was not a wise choice. Watch though I will stupidly second wind and sill get none. Who knows.

You can almost figure why the children (grandchildren) have been around. HOWEVER, let's hope it isn't serious abuse sexual or physical the keeping of them even from son. I think the g to assumption with everyone here including me and it is where my mind went is she just loves them so much and is overbearing, over involved, the mom or dad are not good enough to teach them right. BUT it is hard to think how evil does or how religious nuts do with their own rules. These grandchilldren and gma's own could have easily been abused and dealt with way more than we are thinking.

It SOUNDS VERY DAYBELL.

The girl is a heroine. Tylee would have been imo too.

Updated: 10:10 PM CDT Apr 16, 2024
Meghan Mosley
Reporter

GUYMON, Okla. —
The four individuals arrested in connection with the murders of Veronica Butler and Jilian Kelley, two Kansas moms, are set to make their initial court appearance on Wednesday.

Tifany Adams, Tad Cullum, Cora Twombly and Cole Twombly have all been arrested and linked to the murders. They are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of conspiracy.

The suspects are part of an anti-government religious group known as "God's Misfits," according to an affidavit.

In Guymon, a memorial has already been established for Butler and Kelley. The two women were reportedly on their way to pick up Butler's children in Texas County when they vanished.

Prior to the murders, Butler was in a custody battle with Adams, who is the paternal grandmother of her children. Garrett Oates, who represented Butler in the custody battle, spoke about the tragedy.

"Whether this whole motivation was the custody battle or not, it doesn't really matter. I mean, if someone is gone forever, then that decision is permanent, and you can't take that back," Oates said.

Court records suggest that the murders may have been premeditated, key witnesses told investigators.

The suspects are due to appear before a Texas County judge at 9:30 a.m. They will hear their charges and be advised of their constitutional rights.

The possibility of bail may be discussed, but it has been set for the four suspects, and they have not yet bonded out of jail.

As the case continues to unfold, the eyes of the nation will fall on the Oklahoma Panhandle.

Updated: 10:10 PM CDT Apr 16, 2024
Meghan Mosley
Reporter

GUYMON, Okla. —
The four individuals arrested in connection with the murders of Veronica Butler and Jilian Kelley, two Kansas moms, are set to make their initial court appearance on Wednesday.

Tifany Adams, Tad Cullum, Cora Twombly and Cole Twombly have all been arrested and linked to the murders. They are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of conspiracy.

The suspects are part of an anti-government religious group known as "God's Misfits," according to an affidavit.

In Guymon, a memorial has already been established for Butler and Kelley. The two women were reportedly on their way to pick up Butler's children in Texas County when they vanished.

Prior to the murders, Butler was in a custody battle with Adams, who is the paternal grandmother of her children. Garrett Oates, who represented Butler in the custody battle, spoke about the tragedy.

"Whether this whole motivation was the custody battle or not, it doesn't really matter. I mean, if someone is gone forever, then that decision is permanent, and you can't take that back," Oates said.

Court records suggest that the murders may have been premeditated, key witnesses told investigators.

The suspects are due to appear before a Texas County judge at 9:30 a.m. They will hear their charges and be advised of their constitutional rights.

The possibility of bail may be discussed, but it has been set for the four suspects, and they have not yet bonded out of jail.

As the case continues to unfold, the eyes of the nation will fall on the Oklahoma Panhandle.
I didn't realize bail had been set. You know what? I'm not sure that reporter got that detail right.

The record shows bail to be set at initial hearing and now there's a motion to deny. Let me grab a screenshot.

This is actually regarding Cora:

Screenshot_20240417-095629_Samsung Internet.jpg

I didn't realize bail had been set. You know what? I'm not sure that reporter got that detail right.

The record shows bail to be set at initial hearing and now there's a motion to deny. Let me grab a screenshot.

This is actually regarding Cora:

View attachment 21868
So no bail has been set yet and they are fighting to keep it that way? That's what I think I am reading by your court info. Is that what you see, too?

I am also wondering if the person that was concerned about them not answering their phone also had a location sharing and they noticed that they weren't moving at the same time they weren't answering and it was not at the place they were supposed to meet the grandmother at. That sure would get me out in a hurry to see what's up, especially if you had a location sharing on because of threats being made.

Devan Markham, Stephanie Haines
Updated: APR 17, 2024 / 11:23 AM CDT

TEXAS COUNTY, Okla. (NewsNation) — The four suspects arrested in connection to the killings of two Kansas mothers were officially arraigned in an Oklahoma court Wednesday where a judge denied each of them bond.

<snip>

The victims’ families attended the arraignment, filling the first three rows of the courtroom. Family members heckled the suspects, shouting expletives at them.

NewsNation’s Brian Entin spoke with Butler’s aunt as she left the courtroom. She told Entin that Butler and Kelley didn’t deserve to be killed, nor did the family deserve to have to endure the grief of such a loss.

“There’s just too many emotions, so much anger,” she said. “I don’t understand how somebody can hate somebody so much that you want to kill them. My niece did not deserve that and neither did the young lady with her. She was just there to help her.”

All four suspects are expected back in court sometime next month.

When investigators spoke with Adams, she told them that the children had spent the night at another couple’s home the night before and that she’d planned to pick them up before the visitation. But, she said, she called Butler at 9 a.m., and Butler told her she wasn’t going to make it to the meeting.

The affidavit says that Butler’s phone records confirmed that phone call, which happened at precisely the time she was picking up Kelley in Hugoton, Kansas, for the trip to Oklahoma.

Yes, I do wish a liar's pants really would catch on fire....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondTwicy
Back