KS VERONICA BUTLER & JILIAN KELLEY: Missing from Hugoton, KS - 30 March 2024 - Age 27 & 39 *Found Deceased*

1712518811843.png 1712518826245.png

Foul play suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found in Oklahoma​

Foul play is suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found abandoned in the Oklahoma Panhandle last weekend, authorities said Friday.

Veronica Butler, 27, and Jilian Kelley, 39, of Hugoton, Kansas, were driving to Oklahoma to pick up Butler’s children to attend a March 30 birthday party in Kansas but never showed up, Tom Singer, the pastor of the church Butler attended, told KOCO-TV.

Hunter McKee, an Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokesperson, said investigators believe foul play led to women’s disappearance based on what was found their vehicle.

McKee declined to say what evidence was found in the vehicle, citing the continuing investigation.

The sheriff’s office has turned the investigation over to the OSBI.

“We’re still looking into where and when they were last seen,” McKee said.

McKee said no children are missing.

Investigators are searching the area in Texas County around where the vehicle was found, according to McKee, about 11 miles (18 kilometers) south of Elkhart, Kansas, on the Oklahoma-Kansas state line.

MEDIA - VERONICA BUTLER & JILIAN KELLEY: Missing from Hugoton, KS - 30 March 2024 - Age 27 & 39

Last edited:

Mum who vanished involved in heated custody battle with ex in court-ordered rehab​

A missing woman was in a heated custody battle at the time of her disappearance - as investigators believe "foul play" could be involved after their car was found abandoned.

Veronica Butler, 27, and Jilian Kelley, 39, were supposed to pick up the former's children in Eva, Oklahoma on Saturday but they failed to make it to their destination.

A car belonging to them was found abandoned close to Highway 95 in rural Texas County, according to police. "Based on the information obtained from the victim's vehicle, our investigators believe there was evidence to indicate foul play," the bureau said in an update on Wednesday

The disappearance comes amid a custody battle between Butler and the family of her children's dad, Wrangler Cole Rickman, according to NBC News. However, no arrests have been made and there are currently no suspects. The dad had reportedly been ordered to attend rehab by the courts at the time of her vanishing.

The missing women were due to pick up Veronica's six-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son in Eva to celebrate her daughter's birthday. Jillian, a preacher's wife, had travelled with her from Elkhart in Kansas but the expected 16-mile trip stopped three miles short.

Authorities say the two women now haven't been seen since the weekend and that the investigation “remains ongoing.” The Endangered Missing Advisory said: "They never made it to the pickup location. Their car was located abandoned on the side of the road."

Missing Mom and Preacher’s Wife Vanish, Picking up Kids: Car Just Found​

As CrimeOnline previously reported, the Texas County Sheriff’s Department said Saturday that 27-year-old Veronica Butler and 39-year-old Jilian Kelley were en route to meet Butler’s children for a birthday party in Eva, Oklahoma, on Saturday, but never made it.

Investigators then discovered their SUV at around 10:30 a.m., deserted in a rural area near Highway 95 and Road L, south of Elkhart, Kansas. Police said the vehicle was found around three miles short of the destination the women were headed to, after a witness contacted police.

“Two young mothers on the way to throw a kid’s birthday party vanish just three miles before their destination,” Nancy Grace said during Thursday’s “Crime Stories” episode. “Our biggest clue right now is that abandoned blue SUV.”

Butler, who has reportedly been locked in a years-long battle with her ex, planned to drive 45 minutes from Elkhart to Eva to pick her children up. The abandoned vehicle was found on the side of the road, reportedly with one of the windows smashed out, but no indication of car trouble, a little over an hour after she left.

“It’s a very rural area,” CrimeOnline reporter Nicole Partin said. “It is Highway 95 but then you’re in a very rural two-lane area.

“We know these two women were low-risk victims and would have done everything they could, I believe, to protect themselves from the threat that came to them,” Former Police Chief Dan Corsetino added.

Butler’s former husband, according to Partin, has a criminal history of substance abuse and domestic violence but has not been named a suspect. There is also evidence that he may have been in rehab when they vanished.

I've seen some headlines on this case on YT etc but barely keep up with the ones I have followed that are hot right now like Daybell starting trial etc. and I said no new ones. Easier said than done.

Saw a fair part of one from Atty Melanie Littel on it I think last night? She said and I don't know how News Nation and some others have a lot of facts wrong and how she researched it all before she ever did a show on it but again I don't know.

So now I know the basics I saw that much last night. Said I am not posting on cases here any more I don't know of unless I've already caught them elsewhere and I did.

Then today, because I have little set on my phone for YT as I am not a phone internet use like at home with a computer, I had News Nation come up on break and decided to check it out as I'd heard Melanie last night go on about how they had basic facts wrong. Don't get me wrong, I never saw Melanie's entire show but I heard that much and she covered the only known facts of the case at the beginning.

I have gone so back and forth with them and with Banfield it isn't even funny. So they get around not being part of the rumors and talk in the town and on SM by he asking the area correspondent about it and what (next are my words and interpretation) all those irresponsible people, citizens of the area in OK and channels are saiying and going nuts with in the rumor mill so they get it in but of course aren't part of it. I have to smh in disgust as I've seen News Nation and Banfield air and do the most unconfirmed sh*t there is and be very irresponsible which is when I go that way on her and them.

Anyhow, didn't see all of that one either. Breaks are short, ten hour day. Doesn't matter anyhow. My point isn't that it is that now I am somewhat up on the case and know about it. I had seen headlines and never clicked in about two KS moms missing.

After knowing a little I thought about is it posted here with a thread on CW and I was pretty sure not as I look for new posts and so on. And I thought it should be as a case with quite a bit of interest right now apparently. Then lo and behold here it is.

They've released little aren't asking for sightings and so on. I'm sure some likely know more than me if they have been on SM about it.

With what isl known only outside of SM, it is already pretty obvious what the likelihood is and I'd doubt it will end up much different from what would be he likely guess where he did it or someone for him did. The car was just a few miles from the destination. And of course heading to pick up kids in a nasty custody battle.

Like I said I finished neither show but got the basics and with Banfield I was kind of like why and didn't have time anyhow amd they were headed to their avenue of being able to talk FB crap while being of course no a part of that.

since I dind't watch full shows by either, I had no idea the friend was a pastor or was it pastor's wife, read that here whichever it was.

I doubt they are alive and pretty good guess who was behind it and the reason. If anyone would disagree that's the likelihood , I'd be surprsed. and just a few miles from there which is really stupid of him/them/his helper If such is the case. I didn't know that and only read it here that he couldn't have done it as he was in rehab? Not sure I buy that but I guess it will come to be found out.

Anyhow yeah thanks for making a thread. Didn't know anyone was following, talking of it or thinking about it and I just finally looked at it recently.

Drone footage shows area where missing Kansas moms’ car found​

The mystery continues to deepen surrounding the disappearance of two Kansas mothers who vanished more than a week ago.

Veronica Butler, 27, and Jilian Kelley, 39, from Hugoton, Kansas, disappeared Mar. 30 without a trace except for an abandoned car found by Butler’s husband on the side of a road.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said Wednesday “there was evidence to indicate foul play” based on information obtained from their vehicle.

The search efforts appear to be severely lacking. Despite the police’s belief of possible foul play, there are no visible signs of an active, large-scale search — no grid searches, no canine units, no command center.

NewsNation captured drone footage of the vast open area where the women’s car was found abandoned.

OSBI remains tightlipped about the ongoing investigation.

Butler’s family says the two were traveling together to Eva, Oklahoma, to pick up Butler’s two children. NewsNation has learned Butler’s children may be living with her ex-husband’s mother, who may have custody.

The car was found empty near a school where Butler graduated in 2015.

A family member informed NewsNation Wednesday they’ve been asked to postpone media interviews until authorities tell them otherwise. Additionally, sources have indicated to NewsNation that Kelley might have accompanied Butler to assist her with a custody matter.

The two moms, described as more “acquaintances” than “friends,” were involved in their community and their churches.

Drone footage starts around 1:15

Women traveling in pairs is usually safer.
One woudl think generally but I guess not if you have an angry ex and he wants you dead likely before ever allowing you to take "his" kids and the friend is killed too probably simply because she is a witness. Assuming that's what happened of course. I do wonder about the church/pastor thing, was she along for any other reason than to ensure her safety and that she not be alone?

The News Nation article is confusing. Melanie Little (attorney) said News Nation had poor coverage on this and had a lot wrong, I don't know what all as I didn't all of he show. For one thing, I understood it as the two were never married, only had children together, so he can't BE her ex husband as News Nation states. They also were in a very nasty custody fight supposedly and so why would his mother have custody of the kids or was she battling her ...? They've also been good at lately in many cases for awhile now claiming they have sources but then never naming them.

I also either read it here or Melanie said it, that she was picking them up for a birthday but maybe I have the picking up part wong but I don't think so. All in all I'm not putting much store in what News Nation says, at least not yet and since family has been advised by LE to stay quiet (which they do do, or highly suggest and let you know you may affect negatively your loved one's investigation and any case) not sure what reliable source News Nation would get any of this from.

Melanie also said Nancy Grace had things wrong as well. She has a bit of a pet peeve about getting case info wrong especially by those who should be doing their research, imo.

I see Nancy also calls him her ex.

Crime online also refers to him as her former husband.

And so when it is said her husband found the car, is she now married and they mean or are they again talking about the ex bf.

I can't guarantee I'm right about this or where I got it but believe it was from Melanie, if not I read it in the opening parts of this thread/links as I've watched or read nothing else about it anywhere but they were not ever married is what heard.

I can also tell you Melanie Little researched it in depth before ever doing a show.

Anyhow just cautioning all may not be fact from these sources.

The town is now covered with yellow ribbons.

One business owner says she is working with others to make and put up these yellow ribbons across the community. It’s a show of support for the families and people living here that they will continue to search for Kelley and Butler.

“So many people would come in and maybe buy one bow to take home, or maybe they would buy three or four, but the donations were wonderful, and just the support,” said Erica Nordling Martin, Hugoton business owner.

She says the community has raised over $2,000, which will go to support Butler’s and Kelley’s family.

The splashes of yellow on houses, businesses, and mailboxes are a symbol of the support the community is giving to the families and to each other.

At the location where the abandoned car was found is a marker with yellow ribbons and sunflowers. The same ones that are lining the streets of Hugoton.

One woudl think generally but I guess not if you have an angry ex and he wants you dead likely before ever allowing you to take "his" kids and the friend is killed too probably simply because she is a witness. Assuming that's what happened of course. I do wonder about the church/pastor thing, was she along for any other reason than to ensure her safety and that she not be alone?
Well on a case like that. They are going to do everything in their power for their opportunity. MMO.

FBI providing resources in search for missing Kansas women​

The FBI is now providing resources to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation in the search for the two missing women from Hugoton.

Their vehicle was found abandoned on the side of the road near Highway 95 and Road L, south of Elkhart, Kansas, in Texas County, Oklahoma. While it is a remote area, you can see the main highway. The OSBI says that based on information from the vehicle, investigators believe there is evidence to indicate foul play.

1712852377313.png

According to NewsNation, the women were reportedly coming to an abandoned gas station called Four Corners, about five minutes from where the car was found. The women were supposed to be having a supervised custodial meet-up with Butler’s mother, the children’s guardian. This is not something the OSBI has been able to confirm with KSN.

KSN has contacted the OSBI repeatedly asking for an update or an interview and has been told they are unavailable and will let us know when they have information they can release.

Investigators tell KSN that they cannot share information about who the children are with now but that they are safe.

2 missing Kansas moms in Oklahoma: What we know​

Butler’s family has told police the two women were traveling together to Eva, Oklahoma, to pick up Butler’s two children. NewsNation has learned Butler’s children may be living with the mother of the father of her children, who is currently watching the kids.

Police have described the two women as more acquaintances than friends. NewsNation reported this week that Kelley was the supervisor of the childhood visits for Butler. Family members, who have been asked to postpone media interviews until the police tell them otherwise, say the two women were involved in their community and their churches.

NewsNation reported this week that the car was found just 3 miles from its intended destination. The meetup with the children’s grandmother was set to take place at an abandoned gas station in a section of Oklahoma called Four Corners, but the women never arrived.

NewsNation reported Tuesday that Kelley was the supervisor of the childhood visits for Butler. The two women were in a part of Oklahoma to meet up with a guardian for Butler’s children, who are ages 6 and 8.

The visit was a designated, court-approved visitation that takes place every Saturday. Four people, including Kelley, have been listed as approved supervisors, NewsNation reported.

Butler’s fiancé was the one who became worried and started looking for the vehicle, NewsNation’s Laura Ingle reported. Investigators and family members have not indicated whether the grandmother — who has custody of the children — showed up at the gas station March 30.

NewsNation previously reported that Butler and the father of her children were embroiled in a bitter custody battle, and that just 10 days before the women went missing, Butler had filed a petition in court for more visitation with her children and was seeking full custody.

The court filings said things had not been going well between Butler and the children’s grandmother.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said it is conducting a search for the women and will provide updates when they become available. NewsNation previously reported that the FBI is lending resources to the search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegrisomnias
Back