The Burger Chef Murders: November 17, 1978

burger chef murder victims.jpg

Burger Chef murders, a 25-year-old mystery

Who did it? Who robbed the Burger Chef restaurant? Who murdered four employees?

"That ended up, as of today, the only unsolved major case in my career." Ken York, former detective with the Indiana State Police, is one of the original investigators on the Burger Chef murder case.

He's retired now, a private investigator.

The case may be unsolved, but York thinks he knows who did it. "Unless someone proves differently or someone confesses between now and then, I'll go to my death bed believing I know who killed those kids."

It happened in November 1978 at the Speedway Burger Chef. A Friday night. Four employees on duty disappear; 16-year-old Daniel Davis, 16-year-old Mark Flemmonds, 20-year-old Jayne Friedt and 17-year-old Ruth Shelton.

"I worked on it from the very first day before the bodies were even found." Reporter Paul Bird, who covered the story for the Indianapolis News, said the crime shook the town of Speedway. "It left an entire community in panic. Everybody could relate to their children being abducted from a Burger Chef."

The Sheltons' daughter was one of the victims. They remember getting the phone call 25 years ago. Rachel Shelton recalls, "John woke me up telling me that they thought our daughter had been kidnapped."

John Shelton says, "I thought we'd never see her again alive."

Rachel reads from her diary the emotions she felt that night. "I was on the verge of falling apart."

The family clung together, hoping and praying. "The main thing I remember asking him was, 'Lord, put your arms around Ruth Ellen and let her know that you are there with her," says Rachel.

Initially, police in Speedway didn't have much to go on. Since there was $500 taken from the cash register some investigators thought the employees may have taken the money and went out for the night.

Last edited:
WAs any DNA found? Transferred to a public database?
IDK. This crime occurred years before DNA testing was even thought of. Hopefully evidence was saved and LE can go back and test it for perp DNA.
Remember 1978 was a world of phone land lines, disco music, no internet, CB radio, and most people could access 3 TV channels, 4 if you lived in a city and had a PBS station. Because there were only 3 stations in most places.

This case has haunted me for years- I was a teen in Indiana when these murders happened. We were all scared, especially my high school friends who worked in fast-food restaurants. I can think of 4 possible scenarios:

1) Perp(s) were current/former employees of Burger Chef that the assistant manager knew, possibly from another store and she had fired at least one of them. I really think there were at least two perps: Three victims shot and one victim brutally stabbed. Would a single killer suddenly switch weapons in the middle of killing 4 people? Maybe if a gun ran out of ammo and a knife was a backup is the only thing I can think of.

2) An angry ex-BF of the assistant manager and the other 3 were witnesses who had to be eliminated. Friedt was the only one who was stabbed, that sounds personal against her. How angry is someone that part of the knife breaks off in the victim as they are being stabbed??

3) The attack was random and a robbery gone bad. Indianapolis area in the late 1970s was considered very safe, with a pretty low crime rate, unlike now.

4) New GF of one of Friedt's ex BFs. He wasn't over Friedt, mentioned her frequently in complimentary ways to the new GF, who was insanely jealous and decided to eliminate any possibility that Friedt and the exBF would get back together.
I can't imagine. I would think every parent who wanted their kids working probably made them quit.

Related to Freidt makes sense.

WAs any DNA found? Transferred to a public database?
Hi and welcome.

I have no idea but I'd guess first would be the question did they save evidence that could have such and before ever putting it in a public database, have they went back through the years and had things tested as new advances in DNA testing etc. have first come about and then evolved? And then they'd have to know it was a perp's DNA to put it in the database wouldn't they? I mean I don't know but I'd think so but they could try starting to follow it (LE) and find who it belongs to either the genealogy way or with discarded items with DNA of a suspect or someone they need to try to eliminate. Like in Kohberger or LISK. I'm no expert in this area, someone else may know, but until they have something and know it is a perp's DNA, would it be uploaded into any public database? I have no idea.

It does beg the question of do they have anything that they could send in for testing in these years since, etc.? I'd think the most likely source of DNA would be on something of the stabbed victim or on her, around her. Because that one was up close.

I have watched and followed this full case and things on it many a time but an admit when I then again haven't for awhlle, I am not fresh on all of the details nor recall alll.

I also wonder what in the 70s they knew to collect and if they knew advances would come so to speak and how much they saved.

Like you, I'd be interested in those answers although I'm not sure anyone knows. It would sure seem time to take a look at all of the evidence they do have again if they haven't in some time. with new technques/testing/advances.

Hi and welcome.

I have no idea but I'd guess first would be the question did they save evidence that could have such and before ever putting it in a public database, have they went back through the years and had things tested as new advances in DNA testing etc. have first come about and then evolved? And then they'd have to know it was a perp's DNA to put it in the database wouldn't they? I mean I don't know but I'd think so but they could try starting to follow it (LE) and find who it belongs to either the genealogy way or with discarded items with DNA of a suspect or someone they need to try to eliminate. Like in Kohberger or LISK. I'm no expert in this area, someone else may know, but until they have something and know it is a perp's DNA, would it be uploaded into any public database? I have no idea.

It does beg the question of do they have anything that they could send in for testing in these years since, etc.? I'd think the most likely source of DNA would be on something of the stabbed victim or on her, around her. Because that one was up close.

I have watched and followed this full case and things on it many a time but an admit when I then again haven't for awhlle, I am not fresh on all of the details nor recall alll.

I also wonder what in the 70s they knew to collect and if they knew advances would come so to speak and how much they saved.

Like you, I'd be interested in those answers although I'm not sure anyone knows. It would sure seem time to take a look at all of the evidence they do have again if they haven't in some time. with new technques/testing/advances.
Thank you! Detectives were very good on collecting items so they could be used later on in time. Just watched Bloodline Detectives and they solved a case from that era

Thank you! Detectives were very good on collecting items so they could be used later on in time. Just watched Bloodline Detectives and they solved a case from that era
Well that's encouraging! I've looked at this case in depth more than once through the years but forget the finer details as time goes on and I get into newer ones , etc. Am I wrong in thinking they contaminated/weren't careful with like the restaurant as to prints, evidence, etc. by just going in and not thinking about it and so on? I may be thinking of another case.

Even if so though, newer technology and science could still produce a lead from anything they have both there or where the bodies were found even if something wouldn't be able to be used at a trial.

Well that's encouraging! I've looked at this case in depth more than once through the years but forget the finer details as time goes on and I get into newer ones , etc. Am I wrong in thinking they contaminated/weren't careful with like the restaurant as to prints, evidence, etc. by just going in and not thinking about it and so on? I may be thinking of another case.

Even if so though, newer technology and science could still produce a lead from anything they have both there or where the bodies were found even if something wouldn't be able to be used at a trial.
That's what i'm hoping for. Would love to volunteer my time to help on the genetic genealogy side and build the tree from the DNA results to find the person who did this.

IDK. This crime occurred years before DNA testing was even thought of. Hopefully evidence was saved and LE can go back and test it for perp DNA.
Remember 1978 was a world of phone land lines, disco music, no internet, CB radio, and most people could access 3 TV channels, 4 if you lived in a city and had a PBS station. Because there were only 3 stations in most places.
Yes, i remember those days, we had the 3 channels, sometimes. lol I, too, am hoping that they can go back and now find DNA. The amount needed now to create a file is way less than it use to be.

That's what i'm hoping for. Would love to volunteer my time to help on the genetic genealogy side and build the tree from the DNA results to find the person who did this.
An interest of yours or do you do something related, etc.?

I love the answers it gives us in cases but would be useless in helping build it or understanding the results lol. I'm glad others have such brains, interests and talents because I sure don't.

I am impressed by it though and think all cases should be definitely given an second or even fifteenth look with all of the advances and answers that are coming from doing so these days and even just the genealogy results alone.

It would be great to get answers in this mystery. And many other cases as well.

Former Speedway Burger Chef restaurant, site of 1978 murders, set for demolition​

For more than four decades, the now-empty former Burger Chef building in Speedway has remained a daily reminder of the tragic events that happened there.

On Nov. 17, 1978, four Burger Chef employees disappeared. The bodies of 20-year-old Jayne Friedt, 16-year-olds Daniel Davis and Mark Flemmonds, and 18-year-old Ruth Ellen Shelton were found two days later in Johnson County.

In what was initially believed to be a case of petty theft, the murders have gone unsolved for 45 years. The restaurant was cleaned and reopened the next day without any preservation to the crime scene.

Family and friends of Ruth and Jayne agree they're ready to see the building replaced with something else.

"I'm very thankful the building will be removed because I feel it has affected the entire community," Theresa said.

"Every time you go by, you think of Jayne. It should have come down immediately. Four people lost their lives there," said Arnett and Watkins.

Theresa said even if the building goes, the memories will remain.

"I feel it has affected the entire community and bring a little peace, but even with that you're always going to know that this is where it was. That's never going away," she said.

13News reached out to the building's owner to learn more about the future plans of the site. We are still waiting to hear back.

In an email, the Town of Speedway confirmed to 13News the building, located at 5725 Crawfordsville Rd, is set for demolition.

An inspection report posted on the door of the building reads "interior demo."

Most recently, the building was home to a CashLand pawn shop that closed in 2016.

Former Speedway Burger Chef restaurant, site of 1978 murders, set for demolition​

For more than four decades, the now-empty former Burger Chef building in Speedway has remained a daily reminder of the tragic events that happened there.

On Nov. 17, 1978, four Burger Chef employees disappeared. The bodies of 20-year-old Jayne Friedt, 16-year-olds Daniel Davis and Mark Flemmonds, and 18-year-old Ruth Ellen Shelton were found two days later in Johnson County.

In what was initially believed to be a case of petty theft, the murders have gone unsolved for 45 years. The restaurant was cleaned and reopened the next day without any preservation to the crime scene.

Family and friends of Ruth and Jayne agree they're ready to see the building replaced with something else.

"I'm very thankful the building will be removed because I feel it has affected the entire community," Theresa said.

"Every time you go by, you think of Jayne. It should have come down immediately. Four people lost their lives there," said Arnett and Watkins.

Theresa said even if the building goes, the memories will remain.

"I feel it has affected the entire community and bring a little peace, but even with that you're always going to know that this is where it was. That's never going away," she said.

13News reached out to the building's owner to learn more about the future plans of the site. We are still waiting to hear back.

In an email, the Town of Speedway confirmed to 13News the building, located at 5725 Crawfordsville Rd, is set for demolition.

An inspection report posted on the door of the building reads "interior demo."

Most recently, the building was home to a CashLand pawn shop that closed in 2016.
Still unreal they cleaned up, opened the next day and crime scene was not preserved for a split second.

The truest remark in here is that een then you are always going to know this is where it was.

Just like in the Idaho 4, removal won't change that. Totally different cases and lengths of time the buildings stood but that spot is still what it is. And a memorial, park otherwise is only going to highlight it (in the ID case) IF that is even what is intended any longer.

Both crime scenes contaminated imo. Again different though. In ID the roommates called people over long before LE.

I keep thinking of the Patterson case. I am not naming the victim out of respect that they don't want her talked about and attention on it. She survived. I think most know who I mean. Of course that home was in the hands of family and the case was hot online and many had opinions of how the home should be demolished, a park or some such should be put there or memorial, etc. The home stood until he was sentenced if I recall correctly and then it was demolished. Every single time I drove by throughout those months, seeing the home struck me and reminded me. Had something else been erected, the same would be the case. But now I forget and don't even notice it as there is nothing there at all and this is rural and the neighboring homes still stand but it is just like land between where there was once a home and you'd just never know it.

I personally think this was the best way of handling I have seen. And it remained even though a reminder until case closed. But the family also had that say and choice. I don't recall all, there was talk of helping and buying it and demolishing it but I am pretty sure that's how it went.

I don't agree with any of it in the ID case, the owner gifting it to the U or the U tearing it down before families want it to be. And no one listens nor does the prosecution or defense.

Here it is pretty clear the Burger Chef building even with changed business remained a stark reminder as will the spot to the families. And they've dealt with that for years. It wasn't the murder scene though and this is many, many years later.

I don't know what the answer is but until a case is resolved I think such should stand and I think victims' families should be LISTENED to. Of course if some owner was not part of anything is in financial hardship or needs to live in the home or something, that would be different.

I don't know. I just don't like the tone deaf behavior. That U is on the bottom of my U sh*t list with a few others for other reasons. And crimes.

In this case, it is decades later and the crime is unsolved. But decades later and a major contaminated scene well if they haven't done all yet, and taken all they could, then that's on them. It isn't the murder scene either. There is no pending prosecution, etc.

Not sure of any further point, just kind of talking it out.

It seems this one should be solved/solvable. Many cold cases are being solved with new DNA methods and more. This one would be a prime one to get after. Assuming they processed decently the bodies and where they were found.... I can't recall or was that messed up too?

I knew the restaurant scene wasn't handled correctly but forgot if I knew that it opened the next day??!! That is unreal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helender
Back