AMBER Alert SUMMER WELLS: Missing from Rogersville, TN - 15 June 2021 - Age 5

1623864609105.png 1623864619358.png

AMBER Alert issued for missing 5-year-old out of Hawkins Co.​

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation issued a statewide AMBER Alert for a missing 5-year-old girl from Rogersville in Hawkins County Wednesday morning.

Officials with the Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to WVLT News that Summer Moon-Utah Wells went missing Tuesday night. Sheriff’s Office officials are asking for the public’s help locating the child.

Summer Wells has blonde hair and was last seen wearing grey shorts and a pink shirt on Ben Hill road, officials said. She has been missing since 7 p.m. Tuesday.

TBI officials said Summer Wells may now have shorter hair than that pictured in earlier alerts.

1623864734666.png 1623864744582.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier on Wednesday, the TBI issued an Endangered Child Alert for the girl, but the TBI said new information and growing concern for her well-being lead the bureau to issue a statewide Amber Alert.

ORIGINAL STORY:

Officials in Hawkins County are searching for a missing 5-year-old. Hawkins County Rescue Squad is currently assisting with the search for Summer Wells n the Beech Creek community.

They posted pictures of Summer o their Facebook Page. She was last seen on Tuesday night around 6 pm on Ben Hill Road in a pink shirt and grey shorts.

UPDATE 1:05 AM:

The search has been halted for the night. The Hawkins County Sheriff's Department said the search will be resumed in the morning.

Sheriff Ronnie Lawson told News 5 Summer Wells' siblings were the last to see her, shortly before 6 p.m. on Tuesday.

This is now a joint investigation between the Hawkins County Sheriff's Department, the FBI, and the TBI.

Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopters also assisted in the search, using thermal imaging cameras.

UPDATE: 7 a.m.:

The search for 5-year-old Summer Wells has resumed. If you have any information on her possible whereabouts, please call the Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office at 423-272-7121 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

UPDATE: 11:10 a.m.:

An Amber Alert has been issued for missing 5-year-old Summer Wells by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

I have read the posts but have yet to go into each individual article or link to see if there is more. Just though off the posts, things that strike me...

It doesn't mean anything but just noting she is a very thin child in the second picture. Some children are, and there are growth spurts, I mean nothing by it, just was notable to me. It is more difficult to tell in the other pictures if still as thin but in that one she certainly is.

Second, she MAY have shorter hair? Does this indicate parents or guardian does not know so LE does not know for sure either?

Third, there is often upset by family or public when an Amber Alert can't be issued per protocol but here we have one issued without either a suspect or a vehicle or sign of an abduction? I would really have to think or look back to the last time I have seen that or if I even ever have...

Prayers she is found safe.

It doesn't mean anything but just noting she is a very thin child in the second picture. Some children are, and there are growth spurts, I mean nothing by it, just was notable to me. It is more difficult to tell in the other pictures if still as thin but in that one she certainly is.
She's definitely thin, but doesn't appear "sickly" thin or anything. Her weight is listed at 40 pounds, which would be pretty standard for a 5 year old. (If anything, she's short for her age, listed at 3'0" when the average 5 year old girl is about 3'6". But we all know how inaccurate height and weight statements can be.)

Second, she MAY have shorter hair? Does this indicate parents or guardian does not know so LE does not know for sure either?
I think this was written before the pictures were released or before TBI officials had seen the photos. So "may" as in, the parents say her hair is shorter than pictured but we haven't seen that at this time. (Or it could just be poor wording. That happens too.)

Third, there is often upset by family or public when an Amber Alert can't be issued per protocol but here we have one issued without either a suspect or a vehicle or sign of an abduction? I would really have to think or look back to the last time I have seen that or if I even ever have...
It happens often. Well, maybe not OFTEN, but I've seen it many times. It does depend on the state.
Here is Tennessee's guidelines: (bold/underline by me)

In order to issue an AMBER Alert, the following criteria must be met:
1. The person is 17 years of age or younger, and;
2. The child is in imminent danger of bodily injury or death, and;
3. There is a description of the child, the abductor, or vehicle, and;
4. On a request from another state for activation, there is a direct and identified nexus to the state of Tennessee and that information is conveyed to TBI at the time of the request.

They said they had obtained new information that led to the AMBER Alert. So there's a chance they have info that hasn't been released yet too.

She's definitely thin, but doesn't appear "sickly" thin or anything. Her weight is listed at 40 pounds, which would be pretty standard for a 5 year old. (If anything, she's short for her age, listed at 3'0" when the average 5 year old girl is about 3'6". But we all know how inaccurate height and weight statements can be.)

I think this was written before the pictures were released or before TBI officials had seen the photos. So "may" as in, the parents say her hair is shorter than pictured but we haven't seen that at this time. (Or it could just be poor wording. That happens too.)

It happens often. Well, maybe not OFTEN, but I've seen it many times. It does depend on the state.
Here is Tennessee's guidelines: (bold/underline by me)

In order to issue an AMBER Alert, the following criteria must be met:
1. The person is 17 years of age or younger, and;
2. The child is in imminent danger of bodily injury or death, and;
3. There is a description of the child, the abductor, or vehicle, and;
4. On a request from another state for activation, there is a direct and identified nexus to the state of Tennessee and that information is conveyed to TBI at the time of the request.

They said they had obtained new information that led to the AMBER Alert. So there's a chance they have info that hasn't been released yet too.
All good points and all quite common. I am not leaning in any direction, they were just things that I noted. There isn't enough for an opinion.

Yes, info is often rushed and it is just initial info and changes swiftly occur as details are nailed down and media certainly gets things wrong too in the beginning. Also, so often I think just as a ballpark right out at the outset, small children are listed as 30 or 40 pounds depending on their age. I was only going by the picture and I did not think malnourished, just thin/slim and maybe a recent growth spurt as well.

I guess with the Amber Alert, my thought was LE just may know something else that led to the Amber Alert that we do not know and as you mentioned as well as a possibility... And believe me, if they can get an Amber Alert out on a missing child, always the better, it gets so very much more attention and more public/people on the lookout for a child.

My main takeaways from the presser are 1) the remote area is hindering communications amongst the team. Cell service and even radio communications are proving difficult, 2) they have over 800 people working the organized search, and don’t need the general public to assist in that effort right now, but 3) locals should check hiding spots, crawl spaces, trail cams, etc

There was also a question about the additional information that led to the Amber Alert, but the response was that the specifics are part of the ongoing investigation and can’t be discussed right now.

5-year-old Hawkins girl still missing after difficult 24 hours of searching​

As the first full day concluded in the search for 5-year-old Summer Wells, law enforcement officials called on local residents to inspect anyplace on their property where a child could be hidden.

“We continue to encourage residents living in the area of Ben Hill Road to check any crawlspaces, outbuildings, sheds — possible hiding places where she may be,” Earhart said. “We also encourage them to check trail cameras or surveillance cameras that may have captured Summer on video.”

Sheriff Ronnie Lawson said approximately 80 rescuers were searching the woods for Summer overnight Tuesday, and the number of rescuers searching Wednesday exceeded 100.

“It’s been a very intense 21 hours with a lot of searching, a lot of investigation by 19 different agencies,” Lawson said during Wednesday’s press conference.

“Today we’ve had more than 100 people in the woods searching (from) throughout the whole region, and we also have agents from the TBI and FBI assisting my office.”

Lawson described the area searchers are covering as very dense woods and rough terrain. Those difficulties are further complicated by a lack of cell phone service and spotty police radio service.

Communications are limited between the “boots on the ground” and various agencies attempting to coordinate this effort, Lawson noted.

As for the possibility of foul play, Lawson said the investigation is ongoing and Summer’s family is cooperating. But the main focus at this time is the search.

Things I don't like about the pictures. The one in the kitchen. She looks like her hair had not been brushed for awhile. The kitchen us really messy. Another picture she us sleeping next to a jug of milk. What?. And why is her hair so short. In the first pic I thought maybe she had cancer. I get the feeling something isn't right in the household.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back