SKYLEA CARMACK: Indiana vs. Amanda Carmack for murder of step-daughter * GUILTY*

1589601309893.png 1589601343978.png

Court docs: Stepmom killed Gas City girl over charm bracelet. Abuse, confinement marked her last hours.

Skylea Carmack had been confined to her room for more than a week, before her stepmother allegedly choked the 10-year-old Gas City girl to death last week, according to court documents.

Grant County prosecutors on Friday formally charged Amanda D. Carmack, 34, with murder, neglect, domestic battery and strangulation in Skylea's death. They’re seeking a life sentence in prison without parole, records show.

Carmack reported Skylea as a runaway at 9:10 p.m. Aug. 31, but by that time, court records say, the girl was already dead.

State Police said they found Skylea's body early Wednesday stuffed into a trash bag and hidden in a shed behind the family's Gas City home.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed Friday in Grant Circuit Court, Skylea lived in the home with her father Kevin Carmack, Amanda Carmack, three of Amanda's children and three children of Amanda's brother.

Several other children in the home told police that Amanda Carmack was a "strict disciplinarian," who beat them with a pink belt and administered other punishments when they misbehaved, documents showed.

"They stated that when they were in trouble they would have to stand with their face against the wall with their hands in the air," State Police Detective Wendell D. Beachy wrote in the affidavit. "Sometimes they would remain in this position for several hours."

Amanda confined the children to their rooms, police said, only letting them out to eat or use the bathroom. A sibling told police Skylea had been confined to her bedroom for a week-and-a-half before she went missing.

In an Sept. 1 interview with police, Amanda Carmack denied hitting Skylea or the other children with a belt. She admitted slapping Skylea in the face because she caught her stealing a charm bracelet.

"(Amanda Carmack) stated she doesn't remember all of the details but she remembers being on top of (Skylea) in the barn," Beachy wrote. "She started choking her with her hands then she thinks she tied something around her neck."

"(Amanda) wouldn't explain why she had killed her," Beachy wrote, "other than she was very angry."

Stepmom accused of strangling stepdaughter won’t seek insanity defense; trial moved to August

Attorneys for the woman accused of strangling her 10-year-old stepdaughter over a charm bracelet will not seek an insanity defense, and the judge has set her trial for this August.

In January, doctors found her to be competent to stand trial.

ABC21 has learned her lawyers have withdrawn the insanity defense as well as a request to change the venue.

Her jury trial was moved to August 10.

1589601577929.png

Court talks holding murder trial remotely

Members of the public will not be allowed in the courtroom during Amanda Carmack’s jury trial scheduled for later this year due to pandemic constraints, according to tentative plans discussed in court this week.

Grant County Circuit Court Judge Mark Spitzer said the proceedings will likely be broadcast, possibly by Zoom or another video format, to another room in the courthouse since current guidelines for jury trials require participants to remain socially distant, 6 feet apart, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, among other measures.

The Circuit Court jury box is contained by wooden railings, so Spitzer said jurors will likely need to be placed in the back of the courtroom where the public typically sits.

“I don’t see that spectators will be able to be in the courtroom… We just don’t have the facilities to do that,” Spitzer said, since the plan is to have at least two alternate jurors and 14 jurors total.

Spitzer said if the public can’t be in the courtroom, the court intends to make the trial available via video.

None of the above plans or discussion from the June 16 hearing are finalized, which means they are subject to change.

Spitzer raised the possibility of allowing members of the public to be in the immediate courtroom if space allows, but defense attorney David Payne argued that jurors should not be sitting too close to the public since jurors are traditionally located in a separate area from the public and comments by attendees could sway their decision making process.

Court talks holding murder trial remotely

Members of the public will not be allowed in the courtroom during Amanda Carmack’s jury trial scheduled for later this year due to pandemic constraints, according to tentative plans discussed in court this week.

Grant County Circuit Court Judge Mark Spitzer said the proceedings will likely be broadcast, possibly by Zoom or another video format, to another room in the courthouse since current guidelines for jury trials require participants to remain socially distant, 6 feet apart, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, among other measures.

The Circuit Court jury box is contained by wooden railings, so Spitzer said jurors will likely need to be placed in the back of the courtroom where the public typically sits.

“I don’t see that spectators will be able to be in the courtroom… We just don’t have the facilities to do that,” Spitzer said, since the plan is to have at least two alternate jurors and 14 jurors total.

Spitzer said if the public can’t be in the courtroom, the court intends to make the trial available via video.

None of the above plans or discussion from the June 16 hearing are finalized, which means they are subject to change.

Spitzer raised the possibility of allowing members of the public to be in the immediate courtroom if space allows, but defense attorney David Payne argued that jurors should not be sitting too close to the public since jurors are traditionally located in a separate area from the public and comments by attendees could sway their decision making process.
The sooner the better <censored>!

I can't recall that I saw this case or not before. Present frame of mind I should not have read it but I did.

I have said it many times in many cases but why?? I get so full up at times with seeing apparently evil people who harm children (and others).

And stupidity! She reports a missing child and has her body on the premises?? What do people like her think? LE and cops are that stupid and they will just buy it on their word??

And I also have to say, most say it about the mother in some cases, where was this dad, what did he know?? If the other children knew, dad knew what she was like and how she was treating them. It just seems logical, not saying it is true, but it is sure logical.

Carmack trial scheduled to begin Oct. 19​

Prospective jurors for Amanda Dawn Carmack’s jury trial have received their summons, and the court is beginning to receive questionnaire responses. The questionnaires were jointly developed by the prosecution and defense in preparation for the trial to begin Oct. 19.

Where was the dad? I don't think I've seen any reports as to whether he was around or not?
If I'm remembering this case correctly, he was out of town when Skylea was murdered.
That doesn't mean he was never around for it, though. But it doesn't mean he was, either.

If I'm remembering this case correctly, he was out of town when Skylea was murdered.
That doesn't mean he was never around for it, though. But it doesn't mean he was, either.

The other children knew so I imagine dad had an inkling if not more. It makes me think of the Stauch case. Al's daughter tried to tell him/her mom about abuse but he sided with Letecia. While I won't throw Al entirely under the bus, I have seen many throw the woman under the bus in a reverse situation and throw them under even worse than the perpetrator, the stepdad or bf who did it. In this case it seems likely to be similar. Often the man is forgiven, he needs to work people say, needs a stepmom or someone to care for the children and yes, it is not easy, but a mom is expected to both be there, work, and more and are often more severely judged for leaving children with a stepparent or bf when they have to work to support the family.

I guess it's possible they could have their heads buried in the sand, just like a mother who claims she did not know a stepfather was molesting a daughter for years but it is pretty difficult for most people to believe.

There seems to be no indication whether he was present or not but he likely knew about it on some level. However, denial and trust also are funny things and sometimes only in hindsight does one realize or see flags they possibly ignored...

In both cases though, the children knew. What does that make the father? A clueless type at best, very out of touch or very uninvolved or what...? Also it is the bio father in both situations, they perhaps should be more involved and taking notice and they are just as responsible as women for who they bring into their children's lives... Yet again, we hear more about judgment with women and how they should take more care in such decisions...

And in no way do I mean the person who did this is not the number one person who did this and has the punishment coming without a doubt. It does go to show though that all need to learn from these things and be more proactive and involved and have eyes wide open, and take care in who they choose, and not just women choosing men in their lives, we are seeing stepmothers lately doing these things. People, myself included, often give trust too easily, and others I don't think care, it is about their affair, sex, cheating, a mate to put the children's care onto, or their needs and not the children...

In this case, however, it is unclear about the father at all, what he knew, when he was home, and so forth.

Just thoughts...

The other children knew so I imagine dad had an inkling if not more. It makes me think of the Stauch case. Al's daughter tried to tell him/her mom about abuse but he sided with Letecia. While I won't throw Al entirely under the bus, I have seen many throw the woman under the bus in a reverse situation and throw them under even worse than the perpetrator, the stepdad or bf who did it. In this case it seems likely to be similar. Often the man is forgiven, he needs to work people say, needs a stepmom or someone to care for the children and yes, it is not easy, but a mom is expected to both be there, work, and more and are often more severely judged for leaving children with a stepparent or bf when they have to work to support the family.

I guess it's possible they could have their heads buried in the sand, just like a mother who claims she did not know a stepfather was molesting a daughter for years but it is pretty difficult for most people to believe.

There seems to be no indication whether he was present or not but he likely knew about it on some level. However, denial and trust also are funny things and sometimes only in hindsight does one realize or see flags they possibly ignored...

In both cases though, the children knew. What does that make the father? A clueless type at best, very out of touch or very uninvolved or what...? Also it is the bio father in both situations, they perhaps should be more involved and taking notice and they are just as responsible as women for who they bring into their children's lives... Yet again, we hear more about judgment with women and how they should take more care in such decisions...

And in no way do I mean the person who did this is not the number one person who did this and has the punishment coming without a doubt. It does go to show though that all need to learn from these things and be more proactive and involved and have eyes wide open, and take care in who they choose, and not just women choosing men in their lives, we are seeing stepmothers lately doing these things. People, myself included, often give trust too easily, and others I don't think care, it is about their affair, sex, cheating, a mate to put the children's care onto, or their needs and not the children...

In this case, however, it is unclear about the father at all, what he knew, when he was home, and so forth.

Just thoughts...
I was a stepmom once for a very dysfunctional family. It's not easy! But I have a heart for children so they weren't in any danger, of course. But I do have to say that my ex used to side with me because he trusted me. Isn't that what marriage is all about?

Looking at it now, I think that any parent that is co-parenting with a step parent needs to listen to their bio kids. They don't have to side with them right away, but they need to listen and then they need to test the water.

I was a stepmom once for a very dysfunctional family. It's not easy! But I have a heart for children so they weren't in any danger, of course. But I do have to say that my ex used to side with me because he trusted me. Isn't that what marriage is all about?

Looking at it now, I think that any parent that is co-parenting with a step parent needs to listen to their bio kids. They don't have to side with them right away, but they need to listen and then they need to test the water.
Marriage is about trust, not that it exists in all marriages. I have changed a lot of my thoughts as the years go on. There are many good stepparents, no doubt about it, who would never do such things. I do think though that times have changed for one, with divorce and women working and men remarrying and bringing in stepmothers too, they need to be more plugged in and aware and not just head out working and assume all is well at home and so and so will take care of it all and, in some cases, try to work as well as handle it all. I agree that the bio parent as you said needs to listen to their bio kids first and foremost. At the very least, if you doubt it, open your eyes and start watching closer, pop in at home, check in with the kids and more... Tell your spouse, the stepparent, that if you care about my kids, you will understand, I don't doubt you but I also need to understand why my kids would say that and that stepparent should understand that. Siding against them though is going to likely destroy them and shut them up forever...

You know that I have no love lost for Leticia Stauch and in fact loathe her, but she likely did have a fair amount of additional stress with Al traveling and likely cheating while she had to take care of his kids and she likely had resentment building over that. If one takes an already unstable or abusive type of person and adds more stress, well... it sure won't help, let's put it that way... I sure am not saying it made her do anything, she was likely the type anyhow but again, just adding fuel to the fire...

I try to be careful about not judging a victim which Al is in most ways but it seems to be fact he was cheating, he quickly remarried and there is already a new child. Now, I don't really see that as being responsible either or thinking things through considering this tragedy that just occurred in their lives due to the last stepmother, and one would think he would take time to determine who is around your child next and I feel for Gannon's sister in such decisions. She has been through enough without another brand new stepmom and other new people she is likely around although my guess would be most of the time she is with Landon but I don't know that either...

I do feel for Al as I would imagine he probably puts enough on himself for not seeing it, however, I fail to understand then repeating a pattern and marrying another one (stepmom) and having a child so quickly. I just don't know...

Marriage is about trust, not that it exists in all marriages. I have changed a lot of my thoughts as the years go on. There are many good stepparents, no doubt about it, who would never do such things. I do think though that times have changed for one, with divorce and women working and men remarrying and bringing in stepmothers too, they need to be more plugged in and aware and not just head out working and assume all is well at home and so and so will take care of it all and, in some cases, try to work as well as handle it all. I agree that the bio parent as you said needs to listen to their bio kids first and foremost. At the very least, if you doubt it, open your eyes and start watching closer, pop in at home, check in with the kids and more... Tell your spouse, the stepparent, that if you care about my kids, you will understand, I don't doubt you but I also need to understand why my kids would say that and that stepparent should understand that. Siding against them though is going to likely destroy them and shut them up forever...

You know that I have no love lost for Leticia Stauch and in fact loathe her, but she likely did have a fair amount of additional stress with Al traveling and likely cheating while she had to take care of his kids and she likely had resentment building over that. If one takes an already unstable or abusive type of person and adds more stress, well... it sure won't help, let's put it that way... I sure am not saying it made her do anything, she was likely the type anyhow but again, just adding fuel to the fire...

I try to be careful about not judging a victim which Al is in most ways but it seems to be fact he was cheating, he quickly remarried and there is already a new child. Now, I don't really see that as being responsible either or thinking things through considering this tragedy that just occurred in their lives due to the last stepmother, and one would think he would take time to determine who is around your child next and I feel for Gannon's sister in such decisions. She has been through enough without another brand new stepmom and other new people she is likely around although my guess would be most of the time she is with Landon but I don't know that either...

I do feel for Al as I would imagine he probably puts enough on himself for not seeing it, however, I fail to understand then repeating a pattern and marrying another one (stepmom) and having a child so quickly. I just don't know...
Blended families are NOT a piece of cake! And the judgement that you can receive if you try to reach out is unfair. I think a lot of kids are bearing the brunt of disillusioned step-parents and it should be addressed.

If you happen upon this post and are a stressed out stepmom, I encourage you to visit this website: Steps for Stepmothers

Blended families are NOT a piece of cake! And the judgement that you can receive if you try to reach out is unfair. I think a lot of kids are bearing the brunt of disillusioned step-parents and it should be addressed.

If you happen upon this post and are a stressed out stepmom, I encourage you to visit this website: Steps for Stepmothers
I was raised in a blended family. It was not due to any divorce though. A first spouse died and then a remarriage and all were raised together, no visitation, no other parents. It is not easy. I also have been a stepparent. Most of us I think are good people.

It is hard to say whether anything in these cases has to do with being a stepparent or this person would have abused someone somewhere no matter what.

My hope to anyone reading this is if it is someone considering putting a stepparent or gf or bf in their child/ren's lives stops and thinks twice if they have not truly gotten to know the person and have a very communicative, adult relationship and take their time. If it stops one person or saves one child or makes someone think twice, then these poor children's lives were not in vain and they saved another child.

COVID cases stop trial of Gas City woman accused of killing stepdaughter​

The murder trial of a Gas City woman accused of killing her stepdaughter more than a year ago has been stopped after at least three people associated with the trial tested positive for COVID-19.

According to a court order, on Oct. 22, a person associated with the trial was notified of an exposure to a COVID-19-positive individual. That person was excused from the trial and subsequently tested positive themselves for COVID-19.

After that, staff, attorneys, parties and jurors were all tested on Monday. As a result, two more people involved in the trial tested positive for the virus.
On Tuesday, the court recessed the trial with the consent of all parties, the order said. The trial will resume Nov. 4 at 8:30 a.m., the order said.

Virus cases lead to mistrial in case of slain Indiana girl​

The murder trial of a northern Indiana woman accused of killing her stepdaughter ended in a mistrial after at least four people involved in the proceedings tested positive for COVID-19.

Carmack's trial began Oct. 19 in Grant Circuit Court but it was interrupted after at least three people associated with the trial tested positive for COVID-19, WANE-TV reported. It was due to resume Wednesday, but the judge declared a mistrial on Monday after the spouse of another person associated with the trial tested positive for COVID-19. According to a motion, that person was considered "a critical participant" in the trial and was advised to quarantine for 14 days after the spouse's 10-day isolation.

A 24-day delay in the trial would be "inappropriate," the motion stated.

A date hasn't been set yet for a new trial.

Virus cases lead to mistrial in case of slain Indiana girl​

The murder trial of a northern Indiana woman accused of killing her stepdaughter ended in a mistrial after at least four people involved in the proceedings tested positive for COVID-19.

Carmack's trial began Oct. 19 in Grant Circuit Court but it was interrupted after at least three people associated with the trial tested positive for COVID-19, WANE-TV reported. It was due to resume Wednesday, but the judge declared a mistrial on Monday after the spouse of another person associated with the trial tested positive for COVID-19. According to a motion, that person was considered "a critical participant" in the trial and was advised to quarantine for 14 days after the spouse's 10-day isolation.

A 24-day delay in the trial would be "inappropriate," the motion stated.

A date hasn't been set yet for a new trial.
They couldn't pause it, like they did the redwine trial?

They couldn't pause it, like they did the redwine trial?
It was paused. And then they kept getting more cases.

It was set to resume on Wednesday. But then on the Monday before, there was another case. So they would have had to pause it for another 14 days. At which point they would have paused for 24 days. (In the meantime, more cases could have been found, pushing back that date even more.)

This is poorly written so I can't tell when the trial is. Monday? Tomorrow? What?

Trial set for Indiana stepmother accused of killing stepdaughter​

A Gas City woman is going on Monday for allegedly killing her step-daughter in 2019.

Amanda D. Carmack, 34, is facing charges of Murder, Neglect of a Dependent Resulting in Death, Domestic Battery Resulting in Death to a Person Under 14, and Strangulation after police found her stepdaughter, 10-year-old Skylea Carmack’s body in a shed last September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back