Rachel Morin, Maryland mom of 5, murdered on hiking trail

1692411254311.png

Seen a couple of brief things on this one. I'd lean to the bf mostly because his statements and behavior aren't adding up BUT it's hard to say. She apparently was in custody battles with three of her kids' dads. Maybe it bothered one of them when she announced she was in a relationship with this new guy. Hard to say.

It may deserve a thread, not that it merits it any more than any other but there is news on it at the moment pretty regularly and it is definitely a whodunit at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a thread for this. It goes to show how jumping to conclusions is a very bad thing. Her boyfriend was pretty much convicted in the area she lived and many other places.

We're way behind the 8-ball with info on this case. Here are recently released photos of the suspect.

1692411347494.png

Authorities have used DNA to link a suspect in the murder of Rachel Morin, a 37-year-old mother who was killed while hiking in Maryland, to a home invasion in Los Angeles.

The suspect's DNA tied him to "a home invasion and an assault of a young girl" that occurred in L.A. in March, Col. William Davis, chief deputy of the Harford County Sheriff's Office said at a Thursday news conference.

Los Angeles police confirmed in a social media post that the "residential burglary and assault" in question occurred on March 26.

The LAPD said its "detectives have been in contact with Harford County Investigators to provide any and all information needed to bring the person responsible for such a brutal and senseless murder to justice."

Davis said investigators don't believe there was a relationship between Morin and the suspect, who has not yet been identified.

Here is some basic case info for those who haven't been following.

Rachel Morin was a Bel Air, Maryland, young mother who was found dead on August 6, 2023, after going for a walk on the MA & PA Heritage Trail, according to a GoFundMe page established by her family.

The Harford County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a statement on August 6, 2023, “At approximately 1:07 p.m., a female was located deceased off of the Ma and Pa Trail in Bel Air. The identity of the victim, as well as the cause, and manner of death are still under investigation.”

On August 17, 2023, sheriff’s officials released a video of a Hispanic man in his 20s who they believe is Morin’s killer. They said in a news conference that his DNA matched DNA at the scene of a Los Angeles home invasion and assault in March. Learn more about the video here. In the news conference, authorities said they now believe the attack may have been random.

Michael Gabriszeski, who found Morin’s body, told Fox 45 Baltimore that he and a relative discovered her body in a tunnel drain, and she had suffered severe head trauma that he believes may have come from a rock. A bloody rock was also in the area, he said.

“I saw a terrible mess,” he said to the television station. “There’s not going to be an open casket. I can guarantee you that.”

Morin’s sister, Rebekah Morin, wrote on the GoFundMe page that her sister’s body had been found, and her death was not accidental.

In a news conference, Sheriff Jeff Gahler called the death a homicide. The investigation turned from a missing person investigation to a homicide investigation when the body was found near the trail, the sheriff said.

1. Sheriff’s Officials Say Rachel Morin’s Car Was Located at the Williams Street Entrance

In their written statement, sheriff’s officials noted: “Rachel’s car was located at the Williams Street entrance in Bel Air. If you are walking the trail this morning and see anything suspicious, please call 911.”

Authorities added: “Rachel was last seen around 6:00 pm on Saturday, August 5, 2023 when she left to walk on the Ma and Pa Trail in Bel Air.”

The MA & PA Heritage Trail “is located on portions of the former Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad corridor in Bel Air and Forest Hill, Maryland,” its website site says. “Our nonprofit organization, The MA & PA Heritage Trail, Inc, strives to make the MA & PA Trail the best place to walk, run and bike in Harford County! Currently, the trail consists of a 3.3-mile section in Bel Air and a 1.7-mile segment in Forest Hill.”

2. Rachel Morin’s Sister Confirmed Her Death & Shared a GoFundMe Page, Which Says Rachel Left Behind 5 Children

3. Rachel Morin Shared Photos on Facebook With Her Boyfriend Richard Tobin, Glamour Shots & a Graphic Reading, ‘Routine Can Be Deadly’

4. Rachel Morin’s Boyfriend Reported Her Missing, According to the Sheriff

Morin’s boyfriend reported that she had headed from her home to go to the trail at 6 p.m., the sheriff said. He did not name him.

The sheriff said the boyfriend, who called 911 to report Morin missing, indicated her car was at the lot behind a brewery. He said sheriff’s officials towed her car. He said a citizen called to report that a female body had been found off the trail.

Gahler said the trail is “known to be a pretty safe place,” and it will be reopened. He asked everyone to “use good judgment” on the trail.

5. People Described Rachel Morin as a Nice Person & Expressed Concern for Her Family & Daughters

Maybe it was random but he could have connected with her on a dating site since it has been said she even though just proclaiming to be in a relationship friends or coworkers or someone said she very recently remarked on being active on a few dating sites. I just mean that this may have been how he knew where she'd be if communicating or anything. I am NOT saying she was dating or meeting him. She may though have still responded to people, etc. Just a thought.

So this is Maryland and his DNA matched a crime in Los Angeles. Totally across country!

We need a thread for this. It goes to show how jumping to conclusions is a very bad thing. Her boyfriend was pretty much convicted in the area she lived and many other places.

I will point out the first post here I did say for me "BUT it is hard to say". I did not jump to him. But I know a lot out there did. I also mentioned custody battles with the fathers of her children. I have my criteria and things that need to weight me in a direction I usually use and I wasn't there, too little was known.

Some I will lean harder sooner like that poor little boy (new one) whose dad claims he was kidnappped during an armed robbery at an apartment no less. Unbelievable from the start.

This guy may not have known her but I do wonder as I said if they might not find chatting on a dating site or something.

Also, I'd like to know his history but they don't know who he is yet. Clearly the guy has been from one coast to the other.

Hundreds walk to remember Bel Air’s Rachel Morin at the Ma & Pa Trail where she was found​

Hundreds of people gathered for a community memorial walk at the Ma & Pa Trail Saturday morning in honor of Rachel Morin.

Morin, a 37-year-old mother of five, was found dead about a mile in along the 6.25-mile trail on Aug. 6 after going missing the previous day.

Joseph Murtha, an attorney representing the Morin family, addressed the crowd of supporters, with family members surrounding him.

“Today, instead of looking at the end of her life,” Murtha said, “we’re here to remember her life and the things that she gave everyone who knew her, not just her family, but the community in general.”

Rachel Morin murder investigation: $2,000 for information leading to arrest​

A $2,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest of Rachel Morin's killer.

Metro Crime Stoppers are asking for any tips or leads that would direct police to the suspect.

Detectives say they have received hundreds of tips.

Home security camera footage from the incident was shared with detectives in Harford County in hopes to have the community help with the identification process.

Rachel Morin murder: Maryland sheriff says suspect on the loose could strike again​

The prime suspect in Maryland mother of five Rachel Morin's grisly murder could attack more people if he isn't caught, an official told Fox News Digital.

"This individual poses a threat to every community from here to Los Angeles because we don’t know where he’s laying his head at night," said Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler.

DNA found at the crime scene matched a suspect wanted for a March home invasion and assault of a girl in Los Angeles.

Police released surveillance video of the shirtless man fleeing the Los Angeles home.

While DNA from the two crimes match, the Los Angeles Police Department and local police, working with the FBI, have yet to identify the man connected to the violent crimes. This remains the "top priority," Gahler said.

"This person has an absolute disregard for the sanctity of human life and, until he’s arrested, there is a threat he’ll do something harmful to someone else," he said.

Gahler believes the suspect has likely committed other acts of violence.

The Harford County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue coming forward with tips.

"It’s very likely someone knows him around there and someone knows him here," he said.

Rachel Morin murder: Maryland sheriff says suspect on the loose could strike again​

The prime suspect in Maryland mother of five Rachel Morin's grisly murder could attack more people if he isn't caught, an official told Fox News Digital.

"This individual poses a threat to every community from here to Los Angeles because we don’t know where he’s laying his head at night," said Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler.

DNA found at the crime scene matched a suspect wanted for a March home invasion and assault of a girl in Los Angeles.

Police released surveillance video of the shirtless man fleeing the Los Angeles home.

While DNA from the two crimes match, the Los Angeles Police Department and local police, working with the FBI, have yet to identify the man connected to the violent crimes. This remains the "top priority," Gahler said.

"This person has an absolute disregard for the sanctity of human life and, until he’s arrested, there is a threat he’ll do something harmful to someone else," he said.

Gahler believes the suspect has likely committed other acts of violence.

The Harford County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue coming forward with tips.

"It’s very likely someone knows him around there and someone knows him here," he said.
Well kudos to them instead of trying to say there is no threat to a community that they know of which is usually what is said no matter what. Or hothing is said. Yes he traveled from one side of the US to the other. A DNA hit proves that. He stopped somewhere in this area for food, gas, or stayed with or lived with someone, or was passing through but even so was seen somewhere again getting gas or something, even if the next community over.

Very dangerous, a home invasion a serious one on one coast and a brutal stranger (apparently) murder on the other side of the country and a DNA hit between the two. And yeah, probably other crimes and attacks. I'm leaning towards an illegal sorry to say. Maybe not but it would explain a few things. For some reason, even though a bit different, it reminds me of the Tibbets case. She was out for a run for one but that's not the only reason. It's the brutality and sheer disregard tor females, a stranger, yet overkill and brutality. It also makes me think of the recent 11 year old in Texas murdered. She and her father had lived in more than a few areas due to I suppose his finding work and possibly being illegal. Tibbet's killer was working at a farm in IA who clearly hired illegals although I don't think a thing was done about that. Otherwise, little chance he'd have been there. The place in TX, apartment complex probably houses many and yet nothing will likely happen about that. Maybe it's not true in this case and the murderer is home grown right here in the US and legally so but again there's a brutality and boldness to many such crimes.

However, he is fit and maybe a gym member and maybe a home grown American with double lives and money, like the Gilgo charged murderer and has homes in different areas of the US. Who knows...

He may well be home grown but back to my original point, at least hey are SAYING this guy is DANGEROUS and they have no idea who he is. We may well have another serial type on our hands and no way has he not committed other crimes and only one in Cali and one in Maryland. I do think both the gym and the dating apps may play in.

The feds are likely fully involved and should be since it is basically coast to coast.

Celebration of life to be held for Rachel Morin, mother found dead in Bel Air​

A celebration of life will be held on Sunday for Rachel Morin, the mother of five who was found dead along a popular trail in Bel Air.

The memorial service will be held at the Greater Grace World Outreach church in Baltimore. It will start at 1 p.m.

Reward up to 10k.

$10k reward for info leading to conviction of Rachel Morin’s killer​

A $10,000 reward for information that leads to the conviction of the person who killed Rachel Morin has been announced by the Harford County Sheriff’s Office.

So far, police said, they’ve had 300 tips come in and they are vetting each one.

“The investigation has progressed,” Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said. “We’re following tips as aggressively as we can.”

Reward up to 10k.

$10k reward for info leading to conviction of Rachel Morin’s killer​

A $10,000 reward for information that leads to the conviction of the person who killed Rachel Morin has been announced by the Harford County Sheriff’s Office.

So far, police said, they’ve had 300 tips come in and they are vetting each one.

“The investigation has progressed,” Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said. “We’re following tips as aggressively as we can.”
Sheriff also said yieisterday I believe that this man is or will be a serial killer if not stopped.

‘Someone knows him’: Sheriff pleads for tips in Rachel Morin case​

Police in Maryland are still urging the public to come forward with any information they may have about a suspect they believe is responsible for the death of a 37-year-old mother.

Harford County, Maryland, Sheriff Jeff Gahler is renewing pleas for any information the public may have about the man seen on the video.

“Someone out there knows him,” Gahler said Tuesday on “CUOMO.”

Authorities have no name connected to the suspect and don’t know where he might be at this time. He is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s, who is 5’9″ tall and weighs about 160 pounds.

While Gahler said police have “some of the answers” as to the circumstances of the man leaving the house in Los Angeles, he declined to give more details. In the video, the man appears to leave the house in a calm manner, and someone off screen closes the door behind him.

“We’re interested in putting together a quality case, finding this person and being able to prosecute him,” Gahler said. “We see the people’s frustration, not understanding that video of how he left.”

Harford County family uses criminal profiler to generate leads in Rachel Morin homicide investigation​

Rachel Morin's family is using a new tool to try to catch her killer as the one-month anniversary of her death approaches.

Now, Morin's family is trying to track down her killer by analyzing his potential traits, which were compiled by a criminal profiler with three decades of experience.

The family has put these traits on flyers that will be passed around the community in hopes that they will generate new leads.

"There's definitely somebody in this area that knows who he is, but they may be in denial that the person they know is this person," Matthew McMahon, the father of Morin's oldest child, said.

McMahon contacted that criminal profiler, Pat Brown, to help solve the homicide that is haunting Harford County.

1693889062886.png

Forensic genealogy could solve Rachel Morin murder, but scientists face unique hurdles, experts say​

Law enforcement is likely using a novel DNA analysis tool in their search for the man who murdered mother-of-five Rachel Morin on a Maryland hiking trail last month, experts told Fox News Digital.

Police don't have a suspect, but they do have the DNA he left behind. The Harford County Sheriff's Office matched his DNA to a home invasion and assault of a young girl in Los Angeles in March.

"So, the person has not been identified, but we know he's responsible for two separate crimes," said CeCe Moore, a DNA detective with Parabon NanoLabs. "This is the perfect application of investigative genetic genealogy."

The technique, which identified the Golden State Killer, uses traditional DNA analysis and public records to build family trees and zero in on suspects.

Moore, who has solved more than 250 cases through DNA analysis, described the tool as a "tip generator."

It has traditionally been used to close cold cases, but Moore has long advocated a broader application.

"When you can stop a criminal in his tracks and prevent him from victimizing more people, that is really the best use," she said.

She suspects that the FBI, which has its own investigative genetic genealogy unit, is using this very method to try to find Morin's killer.

Authorities uploaded the suspect's DNA to CODIS, a national database that includes DNA evidence from unsolved crimes, and there was a hit to the Los Angeles assault.

The next step for genetic investigators is to upload the DNA sample to GEDmatch and FamilyTreeDNA, which have databases of about 2.5 million people.

They cooperate with law enforcement, unlike the major commercial databases, Ancestry.com and 23andMe, which have more than 30 million contributors.

The DNA detectives start with the closest genetic hits they get in the DNA databases, which often are distant cousins. They then build family trees starting with the most distant relatives and working forward with the help of public records and other data.

'I have not given up hope' in Rachel Morin murder investigation, sheriff says
It has been one month since Rachel Morin was found murdered on a trail in Maryland.

Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler released an update Friday on their investigative efforts regarding the murder of the 37-year-old.

Gahler said in the update video that they have collected and watched hours of video footage from around the trail including both videos recovered from homes residences and businesses in the Bel Air area.

The sheriff said the digital forensic unit has reviewed phones, texts, phone calls, and cell phone locations and data. Detectives have traveled across the country and have logged countless hours of interviews, deputies and investigators have canvassed areas related to her death multiple times searching for additional witnesses and evidence, and investigators have reviewed the results of her autopsy.

The creative way Rachel Morin's attorneys hope to generate new tips in murder case
It’s been nearly a month since police shared surveillance images of the man suspected of killing 37-year-old Rachel Morin.

“Initially the family was very hopeful,” said Randolph Rice, Managing Partner of Rice, Murtha, and Psoras.

The law firm is representing Morin’s family.

Though surveillance images only show the suspect from the side and back, law enforcement said the video evidence generated dozens of tips in the days following its release.

“Unfortunately, the trail has gone a bit cold because they have not been able to put a name to that DNA or to the video itself,” said Rice.

Now the Morin family attorneys are getting creative to generate new leads in this murder investigation.

"A number of people within the Hispanic community have no idea that this crime actually happened,” said Rice, who said a recent canvass was done within the Bel Air community. “A lot of them live within a half mile of the trail and had no idea that Rachel was even murdered there.”
The revelation prompted a new digital ad campaign, which Rice hopes will move the case forward. On Wednesday, he shared a list of 30 online news publications where ads with the suspect’s photo will run in Spanish.

“[The family doesn’t] want this story to lose steam because the more people that see the video the better chance we have of somebody recognizing this individual,” said Rice.

On Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff’s Office said there were no new updates to share in the investigation. The spokesperson said the HCSO is also engaging with the Hispanic population in its search for Morin’s suspected killer.

A video update from Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler, which was shared on social media last week, had both English and Spanish subtitles.

“If we do not apprehend this individual, he will kill again is he has not done so already,” Gahler said, in part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back