PAUL & MAGGIE MURDAUGH: South Carolina vs. Alex Murdaugh for Double Homicide of wife & son *GUILTY*

1623728103817.png
This case is being kept pretty quiet, no major details released to speak of (other than it does say there were two different guns used), but no info regarding who found them, who called 911, very little else.

Of interest, the grandfather died just a few days after these murders and it sounds as if he was ill from various articles so probably not unexpected. I think of the typical motives, did grandpa have a big estate? How big in the overall family of grandpa's on down? They sound like a pretty well known family and a powerful one in their state, more on that in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible to have someone else on your credit card. Eg. My son is on one of my cards, (one with a low credit limit.) The card is in his name but is on my credit card account. This is a very normal thing. I did it for him as he travels a lot and that particular card has free cash withdrawals internationally IIRC. He hasn't used it in a long time and in fact I haven't used it either in a very long time now as I rarely travel now.

This is a link that I forgot to post earlier about settlement.

Yes with regard to the link on settlement. All terms are met, payment is made, things are concluded, dismissed, etc. in its various forms.

I drafted many a standard settlement agreement in one of my jobs through the years and witnessed or notarized them and put in the terms etc., we got the checks, distributed funds, did closing statements, etc. Also drafted many general releases of all claims and other such docs. Never did I see one not get paid or a case turned around after dismissal because of such. I'd say it is basically unheard of. If you want to settle and get yourself out of a lawsuit and further cost and further trouble, you don't renege on it, you pay up to accomplish the very reason you did it.

Judgments on the other hand are often not paid, they weren't the choice of the party who owes.

It really isn't worth more time wasted spent talking of, is it though? Because regardless, any money Alex M would ever receive has a number of places and people it should go to before he sees a penny of it. I just don't think though it would go to any already settled as they have been satisfied or the payment plan is being executed. Settled by agreement, not by judgment.

As in the case with Buster and Maggie's estate, the agreement was apparently that the proceeds of the home and sale of it was their way of paying and they agreed to do just that and then executed that plan per the agreement made.

Anywhooo, I don't think Alex M ever lived below his means in his entire adult life. This "rich" man from a "rich" family lived off others far less well off than he. Or at the expense of others. He'd have made a perfect politician don''t ya think? He fits the mold.

I know of plenty and the ones I know of mostly involve complicated real estate holdings and/or investments that have to be disposed of and since if it takes a long time, but the case is considered settled. Both parties agreed to the terms so the courts the ones making the decisions.

I only started prior that settled didn't mean paid, which is correct.
The time periods and terms of payment are laid out and that is what is executed. If Alex has a settled matter it has terms and they can't come in and take let's say a late paycheck or a payment by Netflix if he is or has satisfied the terms and is following them. I suppose they could ask but there wouldn't be any reason to change the agreement or grant such a request if it has been paid or the plan to pay is being executed (like the sale of a house or completing complicated things with real estate as you refer to). All of that is laid out. More often payment is simply made in a number of days and that's it. If Moselle hadn't sold in Buster and Maggie's case in a time period allotted, they'd probably have shown they were trying and more time would be agreed to or settlement would not conclude.

They really shouldn't say loosely that settlement was made when in reality a settlement agreement has been reached. Settlement concludes when payment is made and all terms are executed by both parties.

I seriously doubt anything they say has been settled hasn't been fully settled/concluded/paid or is in the works per the terms. His law firm ponied up much. So I truly doubt any Netflix money would go towards any of the settled cases as they are more than likely paid in full to those parties. His law firm and what they paid out is another story though. I believe they have a suit against him and no settlement as he has no money to pay up.

This man isn't going to see a red cent in along time, or at least he shouldn't. Maybe he will learn from his commissary account how "bank" accounts really work and what happens when you can't charge or don't have funds in your account. NO CANDY BAR FOR ALEX! NO FUNDS available! The prison warden doesn't just come in and cover your check that is about to bounce or advance you more funds as his banker, etc. did for him.

Stephanie Whiteside
Updated: MAY 24, 2023 / 10:44 AM CDT

• Murdaugh is currently serving a life sentence on a double murder conviction
  • He is now facing 22 charges for financial crimes including money laundering
  • Murdaugh is alleged to have defrauded his personal injury clients

Stephanie Whiteside
Updated: MAY 24, 2023 / 10:44 AM CDT

• Murdaugh is currently serving a life sentence on a double murder conviction
  • He is now facing 22 charges for financial crimes including money laundering
  • Murdaugh is alleged to have defrauded his personal injury clients
I just saw this too. So are these federal charges? I am also checking on Russell Lafitte and when his sentencing is due and it appears to be May or June. He lost his appeal. These are the links I was just going to post when suddenly my phone locked up and somehow the Secret mode got activated and I could not access my history. Anyway I rebooted and here are the articles I saw.

This article appears to be a more detailed version of the first link above.

Last edited:
Prior to my checking out these latest Lafitte and Murdaugh links I was also checking up on Jes Staley (ex JPM and Barclays banker) and Deutsche Bank regarding Epstein and posted some links on the Epstein thread. Maybe Google figured I was too interested in banks and bankers and decided itself to change my settings to Private. I wasn't even able to view my history. Also, I am finding it difficult to even find any news on these banking guys.

Last edited:
From the first link above,

Federal officials on Wednesday indicted convicted South Carolina killer Alex Murdaugh for a host of financial crimes and, in a separate document, charged an alleged accomplice in a scheme involving the theft of some $4 million in insurance proceeds.

A 28-page indictment charged former lawyer Murdaugh with 22 counts of financial crimes, including money laundering, conspiracy, bank fraud and wire fraud.

Another federal court document made public Wednesday said Murdaugh’s accomplice, suspended Beaufort lawyer Cory Fleming, has also agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud in the $4 million insurance theft scheme stemming from the death of Gloria Satterfield, the Murdaugh family’s former housekeeper who died in a 2018 fall at the family’s Colleton County estate.

He could be sentenced to a maximum of five years in prison on that charge.

Fleming, Murdaugh’s former law school classmate, was also charged with violating federal fraud laws in connection with the scheme, which involved the unlawful diverting of insurance proceeds to Murdaugh and away from the rightful owners.

Fleming is expected to plead guilty at 2 p.m. Thursday in Charleston’s federal court before Judge Richard Gergel.

“Alex (Murdaugh) has been cooperating with the U.S. Attorneys’ Office and federal agencies in their investigation of a broad range of activities,” Murdaugh’s attorneys state Sen. Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin, said in a statement. “We anticipate that the charges brought today will be quickly resolved without a trial. “

See next post also.

Continued...

Murdaugh’s crimes date back to 2005, and many allegations involve former Palmetto State Bank CEO Russell Laffitte, the indictment charges. Murdaugh and Laffitte were involved in various schemes using Laffitte’s bank to divert money from Murdaugh’s personal injury legal clients to themselves, the indictment said.

Laffitte, who was convicted of federal bank fraud in a jury trial in November 2022, was repeatedly named as a co-conspirator in Murdaugh’s indictment but not charged. Laffitte has not yet been sentenced for his November fraud conviction.

Murdaugh stole millions of dollars while committing his alleged crimes over the years, the indictment charges.

Murdaugh was named throughout Fleming’s eight-page charging document, but was not charged in that document.

“Trust in our legal system begins with trust in its lawyers,” South Carolina’s U.S. Attorney Adair Boroughs said in a statement. “South Carolinians turn to lawyers when they are at their most vulnerable, and in our state, those who abuse the public’s trust and enrich themselves by fraud, theft and self-dealing will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

The federal charges naming Murdaugh, one of South Carolina’s most notorious criminals, and his longtime friend Fleming, are the latest twists in the sprawling Murdaugh crime saga, which for nearly two years has been marked by dramatic turns.

It was not immediately clear why federal authorities charged Murdaugh and Fleming at this time as participants in a federal fraud scheme. Both have been indicted by state law enforcement officials, though neither has yet been tried.

A lawyer close to the case, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the federal laws involved have a statute of limitations, and that federal authorities may have wanted to charge Murdaugh and Fleming “to act as a backstop” in case there are any appellate issues with the state charges down the road.

Continued at the first link in above post.

The third link in the above post is about the denial of the 2nd appeal of Murdaugh's banker, Russell Lafitte.

From that link-

The denial of Laffitte’s appeal sets the stage for him to be sentenced on six bank fraud-related counts. No sentencing date has been set. He could get a maximum of 30 years.

Judge Richard Mark Gergel of Charleston wrote in a six-page decision that Laffitte is not entitled to a new trial for multiple reasons.

In court filings, Laffitte had requested that Murdaugh appear at a new trial and testify on his behalf to tell the jury that he was innocent of knowing about the unlawfulness of the schemes that Murdaugh had persuaded him to join in — schemes that used Laffitte’s position as CEO of Palmetto State Bank to carry out the misappropriation of millions of dollars.

Gergel wrote that Murdaugh, who was convicted in March of murdering his wife and son, “is manifestly not a credible witness.”

“Evidence offered during the Defendant’s (Laffitte’s) trial established without question that Murdaugh is a serial liar and fraudster who stole from his clients and law partners. He now stands convicted of the double homicide of his wife and son. It is difficult to imagine a less credible witness under these circumstances,” Gergel wrote.

Laffitte’s attorneys, Mark Moore and Michael Parente, had appealed their client’s guilty verdicts, saying in a March 9 motion that they had “newly-discovered evidence” that consisted of Murdaugh saying publicly, for the first time, that he did not participate in a conspiracy with Laffitte because Laffitte did not participate in the financial crimes.

The motion referred to a statements Murdaugh made on Feb. 23 under oath at his double-murder trial of his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul. Murdaugh was convicted of shooting them to death in June 2021 at their family estate, Moselle, in rural Colleton County.

“Specifically, Mr. Murdaugh testified, ‘I don’t dispute any of this, that I took money that didn’t belong to me, that I misled people … that trusted me to do that and that what I did was terrible. I don’t dispute that,’ Laffitte’s motion said. “Mr. Murdaugh further testified, ’Russell Laffitte never conspired with me to do anything, whatever was done was done by me. If he did it, he did it without knowing it.’”

If Murdaugh’s statements were allowed to be introduced before jury at a new trial, it would likely acquit him, the motion said.

In a 15-page reply to Laffitte’s motion, government prosecutors Katie Stoughton, Emily Limehouse and Winston Holliday argued that Murdaugh was not a credible witness because in two days of testimony at his double-murder trial, he admitted to lying and cheating family, friends, law partners, employees, clients and law enforcement.

Continued at third link in above post..

I'd really like to know where Alex's missing money is, and/or went.
I don't think he had any and that's why he stole $8 million dollars over 12 years.

As one of the indicted today is Cory Fleming, I googled him and found a link that has a copy of the details of the Sattersfield case. It was Fleming that dealt with it, I think - this all seems very complex.

Last edited:
This appears to be an article from 2021 regarding Cory Fleming, the Sattersfield settlement and a bank account at Bank of America set up in the name of Forge by Murdaugh. I am finding this hard to follow but am posting in the hope that others may know more about this. I had heard Forge mentioned before but did not know anything about it.

Not only covers a deposition being allowed but talks about the financial charges that have come about.

Ok so on the financial crimes it seems, he is cooperating and they don't think it will need to go to trial. Murdaugh is possivly going to do a deal. They say if his appeal on the murders is successful, he may not still be in prison and tear is why they want to bring the charges. On the boat incident they are saying he could be deposed but could plead the fifth. Did I understand right?

Ok so on the financial crimes it seems, he is cooperating and they don't think it will need to go to trial. Murdaugh is possivly going to do a deal. They say if his appeal on the murders is successful, he may not still be in prison and tear is why they want to bring the charges. On the boat incident they are saying he could be deposed but could plead the fifth. Did I understand right?

He's already on record, in court testimony, as being guilty of these crimes. I don't see any wiggle room.

He's already on record, in court testimony, as being guilty of these crimes. I don't see any wiggle room.
I was summarising what the video says. Did you mean guilty of the financial crimes, because he has not been tried on that yet or are you talking about the appeal? I know he confessed to the financial crimes in his testimony but we discussed that upthread.

I was summarising what the video says. Did you mean guilty of the financial crimes, because he has not been tried on that yet or are you talking about the appeal? I know he confessed to the financial crimes in his testimony but we discussed that upthread.

Financial crimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flipflop
Back