CA KARLIE GUSE: Missing from Chalfant Valley, Mono Co., CA - 13 October 2018 - Age 16

KARLIE.png

• Date of Birth 05/13/2002
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt, gray sweatpants or jeans, and Vans shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Karlie's left nostril is pierced.

Karlie was last seen walking towards Highway 6 after leaving her residence in the White Mountain Estates area of Chalfant, California on October 13, 2018. Her stepmother saw her lying awake at 5:48 a.m., and went to sleep in the same room. Between 7:15 and 7:30 a.m., she woke up, and realized Karlie was gone.

There were no indications of forced entry to the home. She left all her belongings behind, including her cellular phone, eyeglasses and money, and has never been heard from again.

The night before her disappearance, Karlie came home after an evening out with friends and admitted to her parents that she had smoked marijuana. She seemed anxious and paranoid, and in her final text to her boyfriend she said the marijuana had been laced. It's possible she was still disoriented from the effects of the drug at the time she went missing.

Karlie and her father and stepmother had only recently moved to Chalfant, and she has relatives in Yerington, Nevada, 160 miles away. Her biological mother fears she may have had an overdose on the night of her disappearance, while her stepmother says she thinks Karlie was abducted.

Her case is being investigated as a simple missing person due to lack of evidence of a crime.

Last edited:
Karlie went missing in the area of my hometown of Bishop, California. My aunt and uncle owned a home in the Chalfant Valley community - even built it themselves.

My theory is that she was picked up due to a bad person driving by and coaxing her into the car on highway 6, or she was so disoriented that she got lost in the White Mountains somehow. Perhaps her SM was involved, but I'm not convinced of that scenario at all.

Kimster (or anyone),
Is it known why she was living with her father rather than her mother? Not that I think there's anything odd about that- perhaps it was her choice. I guess the reason it jumped out at me is that I moved to a new town when I was 16, and it was really tough to leave all my old friends and go to a new high school. That was when I started getting involved with smoking weed, etc.- probably would have done it regardless, but my values changed after I moved & got involved with new friends. FWIW.

Kimster (or anyone),
Is it known why she was living with her father rather than her mother? Not that I think there's anything odd about that- perhaps it was her choice. I guess the reason it jumped out at me is that I moved to a new town when I was 16, and it was really tough to leave all my old friends and go to a new high school. That was when I started getting involved with smoking weed, etc.- probably would have done it regardless, but my values changed after I moved & got involved with new friends. FWIW.
I don't know the exact reason, no. But I do have some inside information that leads me to believe there was nothing wrong with the relationship between Karlie and her biological mom. You bring up a good point, maybe the father and stepmother weren't as strict with her and that's why she went to live with her dad. I haven't been told that, but it makes sense.

I didn't even know about this case until today:

Has anyone mentioned this case in regards to Karlie's disappearance?

Local teenager, Karlie Lain Gusé, still missing two years ago on October 13th​

Today, Oct. 13, 2020, marks the second anniversary since Sierra Wave first posted a story on the disappearance of local teenager, 16-year-old, Karlie Lain Gusé, on October 13, 2018, when she was last seen in the very early morning hours walking down the street from her home towards Highway 6, never to be seen again.

FBI, Mono County Sheriff Launch Video Series to Help Locate Karlie Lain Gusé​

The Mono County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are releasing a collection of a dozen short videos featuring the family, friends, witnesses, and investigators who are joined together by the search for Karlie Lain Gusé, who disappeared from Chalfant, California, on October 13, 2018.

“The Things They Carry” video series highlights the memories, moments, and experiences carried by the family and community who long for the return of Karlie and law enforcement’s need for assistance from the public to bring her home. One video from the 12-part series will be released each day from October 13 to October 25, 2020 on KARLIE LAIN GUSÉ | Federal Bureau of Investigation and social media.

“Finding Karlie is our top priority,” said Sheriff Ingrid Braun of the Mono County Sheriff’s Office. “Her disappearance stunned our community, and we’ve never experienced another case like this. We continue to investigate her case every day. We ask that everyone shares these videos to raise awareness and help us find Karlie.

“We will not give up on Karlie,” said Special Agent in Charge Sean Ragan of the FBI Sacramento Field Office. “People don’t disappear into thin air. We believe that someone may know where Karlie is. We hope this campaign illustrates how much Karlie is missed and will encourage anyone with information to come forward.”

Investigators continue to follow every lead in the effort to find Karlie. The FBI continues to offer a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the location of Karlie Gusé. The Gusé family continues to offer a $10,000 reward for Karlie’s safe return.

If you have information that can help locate Karlie Gusé, please contact the Mono County Sheriff’s Office by calling 760-932-5678 or submitting a tip to karliegusetips@monosheriff.org. Tips may also be submitted anonymously using the FBI’s tips.fbi.gov website.

I was just thinking about her today. I think it's really strange that there are missing people in both small towns that I've been in. Strange because in all the years of living in small towns, there were never any missing persons. Is it getting more prevalent now? That's what I was thinking about.

2 years ago, Karlie Lain Gusé walked out of her California home. She's never been seen again.​

Richard Eddy remembers it was chilly on Oct. 13, 2018. The fact stuck with him because it made it even more unusual to see a young woman in a T-shirt walking past his Mono County home in the early morning hours.

The teen had long hair and wore gray pants. She was alone.

“I thought, 'That's kind of weird,’” Eddy said in an interview for the FBI. “And she was waving a piece of paper. Like a 12-by-12 piece of paper. She was just waving it in the air and walked by.”

A short time later around 8 a.m., a woman knocked on his door asking if he’d seen her daughter. Eddy said he probably had and volunteered to hop on his motorcycle to drive into a nearby canyon to see if the girl was still on the road. After a quick look, Eddy returned to the woman with disappointing news.

“I told her I didn’t see anything. And she said, ‘Well, thank you very much,’” Eddy said. “And that’s about the last I heard of the whole thing.”

Police believe he may have been the last person to ever see Karlie Lain Gusé.

In the two years since Karlie disappeared, her story has only gotten stranger and sadder — and seemingly no closer to being solved.

"We will not give up on Karlie," FBI Special Agent in Charge Sean Ragan said Tuesday. "People don't disappear into thin air."

Sometimes, though, it feels like Karlie has.

2 years ago, Karlie Lain Gusé walked out of her California home. She's never been seen again.​

Richard Eddy remembers it was chilly on Oct. 13, 2018. The fact stuck with him because it made it even more unusual to see a young woman in a T-shirt walking past his Mono County home in the early morning hours.

The teen had long hair and wore gray pants. She was alone.

“I thought, 'That's kind of weird,’” Eddy said in an interview for the FBI. “And she was waving a piece of paper. Like a 12-by-12 piece of paper. She was just waving it in the air and walked by.”

A short time later around 8 a.m., a woman knocked on his door asking if he’d seen her daughter. Eddy said he probably had and volunteered to hop on his motorcycle to drive into a nearby canyon to see if the girl was still on the road. After a quick look, Eddy returned to the woman with disappointing news.

“I told her I didn’t see anything. And she said, ‘Well, thank you very much,’” Eddy said. “And that’s about the last I heard of the whole thing.”

Police believe he may have been the last person to ever see Karlie Lain Gusé.

In the two years since Karlie disappeared, her story has only gotten stranger and sadder — and seemingly no closer to being solved.

"We will not give up on Karlie," FBI Special Agent in Charge Sean Ragan said Tuesday. "People don't disappear into thin air."

Sometimes, though, it feels like Karlie has.
I think my first thought on this case is that she got lost out in the desert. My second thought was that somebody on highway 6 picked her up and carried her off. My third theory is that her stepmother did indeed find her and I'll leave it at that.

This one is just tough. If it were not for a neighbor allegedly seeing her, I am not sure what I would think... I find some things odd or at least possibly significant but then again they could mean nothing even separately or put together...

She had not lived here long, it sounds like as if they had just moved here. How well could she know this boyfriend or the people she was with? I used to know the case better but it has been awhile, I do remember most things.

How close was she to the stepmother, how long had she known her and again it sounded like her living here was recent. What propelled the move? Was she having issues at home, at school, with a crowd of friends that she moved?

I don't want to accuse anyone but what is the luck you stay with her all night and the minute you fall asleep she disappears? And without a sign? And a teen leaving without a cell phone particularly?

To this day, I struggle with the stepmom recording things. I try to imagine doing that and I just can't quite picture it. I struggle with if you thought she was drugged, overdosed or having a bad reaction to something, would you not take her in?

My recollections are vague but I know she was in town I thought and I remember having questions about that and being picked up, etc.

It crossed my mind that maybe she wanted to get home, back to mom or former friends but I would think you would take your cell phone and call for someone to come get you... I guess she could have hitchhiked... Even then, could she have run into someone bad, well of course, but I tend to believe such has to combine just perfect circumstances coming together... I still don't think most people driving or working and driving are looking to chance a rape or murder charge... She would have to encounter a bad one which, again, could happen but I find the odds low...

She also could have turned back cold towards home, if indeed she was seen the first time, it does not mean she was seen the second time...

I can't recall, where was her dad that day and night? If I recall he was home but it was the stepmom who went and got her and then stayed with her that night? Or no? I think I recall something vague about supper and younger children... Or salad or her not eating but encouraged to eat...

I know these things have been hashed out through the years and I imagine LE knows more.

If the neighbor's sighting is correct, it does not mean someone she knew did not go looking for her or pick her up either...

Refreshing my memory is all and just putting thoughts together...

On October 12, 2018, 16-year-old Karlie Gusé left her home in Chalfant, California to hang out with friends nearby. Karlie’s stepmother Melissa told Dateline she picked Karlie up from town and brought her home around 9 p.m. According to Melissa, they ate dinner together before Karlie went to bed. Karlie’s father Zachary told Dateline that Karlie seemed “disoriented” before she went to bed, but would not comment further on her condition. But early the next morning, Melissa said she went to Karlie’s room to check on her stepdaughter, but Karlie was nowhere to be found. In a March 2019 interview on the Dr. Phil daytime talk show, Melissa told Dr. Phil she had lied to NBC in October when she spoke to Dateline. “Melissa, you told NBC, the next morning that at 5:45 a.m., you did your usual routine of opening up the kids’ doors, saying good morning, getting them ready for school -- that sort of thing. Did you -- she was still in bed at that time --did you go back and lay down?” Dr. Phil asked Melissa on the show which aired on March 25, 2019. “No. That -- the Dateline NBC?” Melissa answered. “Yeah, that was a false story. Because I wasn’t – it was a lie about checking in on Karlie. Because it was in the beginning, and I didn’t know what to say and – I shouldn’t have even done the interview.” Karlie’s mother Lindsay Fairley, who lives in Nevada, told Dateline in 2018 that she had been sick to her stomach from the pain her daughter’s disappearance has caused. Authorities say Karlie was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants. If you have any information surrounding Karlie’s disappearance, please call the Mono County Sheriff’s Office at 760-932-7549 and select option 7.

On October 12, 2018, 16-year-old Karlie Gusé left her home in Chalfant, California to hang out with friends nearby. Karlie’s stepmother Melissa told Dateline she picked Karlie up from town and brought her home around 9 p.m. According to Melissa, they ate dinner together before Karlie went to bed. Karlie’s father Zachary told Dateline that Karlie seemed “disoriented” before she went to bed, but would not comment further on her condition. But early the next morning, Melissa said she went to Karlie’s room to check on her stepdaughter, but Karlie was nowhere to be found. In a March 2019 interview on the Dr. Phil daytime talk show, Melissa told Dr. Phil she had lied to NBC in October when she spoke to Dateline. “Melissa, you told NBC, the next morning that at 5:45 a.m., you did your usual routine of opening up the kids’ doors, saying good morning, getting them ready for school -- that sort of thing. Did you -- she was still in bed at that time --did you go back and lay down?” Dr. Phil asked Melissa on the show which aired on March 25, 2019. “No. That -- the Dateline NBC?” Melissa answered. “Yeah, that was a false story. Because I wasn’t – it was a lie about checking in on Karlie. Because it was in the beginning, and I didn’t know what to say and – I shouldn’t have even done the interview.” Karlie’s mother Lindsay Fairley, who lives in Nevada, told Dateline in 2018 that she had been sick to her stomach from the pain her daughter’s disappearance has caused. Authorities say Karlie was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants. If you have any information surrounding Karlie’s disappearance, please call the Mono County Sheriff’s Office at 760-932-7549 and select option 7.
And her lying had me suspecting that the family was involved. And then, the independent witnesses spoke out. I just don't know what to think in this case. That place is so rural, and you can see for miles because all there is is sagebrush out there.

And her lying had me suspecting that the family was involved. And then, the independent witnesses spoke out. I just don't know what to think in this case. That place is so rural, and you can see for miles because all there is is sagebrush out there.
Her lies are a very hard thing for me to let go of. Then added to it at that time is she is the stepmother, Karlie had not lived with them for long and none of them had lived there for long and it was (still is) a hard thing to not think about... Did she not record this girl as well? One thing is for sure, she picked her up, she was with her, she recorded her, she was texting the bf, she was the one who lied about that morning, etc. She is the most present person in this case...

Another thing is if Karlie was still really messed up that many hours later when she left as many assume (which I am not sure I believe), then how bad was she the night before? Much worse I am sure. Wouldn't you take her in to ER? A girl running down a road, scared of the car and the ride home, calling the lettuce devil's lettuce... Yet you don't take her in for help?

I am not accusing but her lies, etc. are fact and I guess it goes to show that her actions and lies are still memorable and stand out. Lying to the police in something so serious is not something I can easily understand at all if you are innocent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back