CA KARLIE GUSE: Missing from Chalfant Valley, Mono Co., CA - 13 October 2018 - Age 16

KARLIE.png

• Date of Birth 05/13/2002
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt, gray sweatpants or jeans, and Vans shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Karlie's left nostril is pierced.

Karlie was last seen walking towards Highway 6 after leaving her residence in the White Mountain Estates area of Chalfant, California on October 13, 2018. Her stepmother saw her lying awake at 5:48 a.m., and went to sleep in the same room. Between 7:15 and 7:30 a.m., she woke up, and realized Karlie was gone.

There were no indications of forced entry to the home. She left all her belongings behind, including her cellular phone, eyeglasses and money, and has never been heard from again.

The night before her disappearance, Karlie came home after an evening out with friends and admitted to her parents that she had smoked marijuana. She seemed anxious and paranoid, and in her final text to her boyfriend she said the marijuana had been laced. It's possible she was still disoriented from the effects of the drug at the time she went missing.

Karlie and her father and stepmother had only recently moved to Chalfant, and she has relatives in Yerington, Nevada, 160 miles away. Her biological mother fears she may have had an overdose on the night of her disappearance, while her stepmother says she thinks Karlie was abducted.

Her case is being investigated as a simple missing person due to lack of evidence of a crime.

Last edited:
I had it at the step mom waking her up in the wee hours. You don't do that without a reason, whether it's to check on a teen that you suspect is on something or out of meanness. Otherwise you at least wait until a reasonable hour so you don't have to hear them, if nothing else.
I've always wondered if they ever partied together and they're trying to protect themselves from poor parenting choices. Just because of how nothing makes any sense.

More info on the incident from last month... (but not much)

Karlie Gusé: Dad of missing California teen girl arrested for ‘corporal injury to a spouse’ [Police]​

The father of a missing California girl who disappeared in 2018 has been arrested for domestic violence.

According to online jail records, Zachary Gusé, the father of missing teen, Karlie Gusé, was arrested on February 11 by deputies with the Mono County Sheriff’s Department. He’s been charged with a felony count of corporal injury to a spouse.

No other information has been released about the incident. Gusé is now out of jail after posting a $50,000 bond. After posting the arrest details on February 12, the arrest record and mugshot were removed from the sheriff’s office website.

According to the Mono County District Attorney’s Office, Gusé is scheduled for a court hearing on May 10 in Mammoth Lakes.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not, but another girl went missing about nine years prior to Karlie. There's little I can find about her case, though I try here nad there when she comes to mind:

On missing girl’s 20th birthday still no answers​

On an October morning in 2018, a 16-year-old girl disappeared near her rural neighborhood home north of Bishop. Karlie Guse has not been seen since.

Friday, on her 20th birthday, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children issued an age progression photo of what she might look like today. The new image doesn’t look much different than the fresh-faced 16-year-old who left her home in Chalfant early in the morning after hanging out with friends in Bishop the night before.

The known facts in the case haven’t changed much either. Witnesses saw her walk down the road to U.S. 6. A passing motorist saw her at the intersection, but where she went from there, what happened to her remains a mystery.

The Mono County Sheriff’s Office tells us it’s still a very active case, They say they have received and followed potential leads, but none that panned out.

1652498225261.png

Agency highlights Gusé on Missing Children’s Day​

In honor of National Missing Children’s Day, which was Thursday, May 25, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children raised awareness for the many missing children around the country who need assistance, including Chalfant resident Karlie Gusé.

The 16-year-old girl was last seen early on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018, walking from her home in Chalfant Valley, on White Mountain Estates Road, towards U.S. Highway 6.

At the time of her disappearance, extensive search efforts were conducted by law enforcement agencies and volunteers. However, despite these efforts, no significant leads or information regarding Gusé’s whereabouts were found.

I saw this posted on a local Owen’s Valley California Facebook page. I haven’t looked into this case, but they did mention wondering if it had anything to do with Karlie’s disappearance.

IMG_8554.png

Lone Pine is about an hours drive south of Bishop where Karlie went missing. VERY rural in the middle of the vast desert.

In case the link doesn’t work:

Hello to everyone taking the time to read this. Zac and I are happy to anounce that People Investigates came to our home in Bishop this last December. We were interviewed along with many others by Stephanie Bauer and she is truly an amazing human being. We hope this will bring us answers or lead us in a direction to finding Karlie unlike the soap opera Doctor Phil is and all the drama.
Currently the episode is scheduled to air on 8/7/23 at 9pm ET (i.e 9PMET /6PM PT) on Investigation Discovery (ID), D+ and Max. Please check your local listings as times are always subject to change.
Thank you to everyone who is here with us still. I distance myself pretty far from reviewing posts as social media did a harsh number and contiues to on myself and our family and so many others as well.
It's true that life keeps moving. Nothing is going to stop for you or your situation and so much has happened since Karlie disappeared. We love all of you for all the support, love, and continued prayers and hope to Bring Karlie Home. God bless @everyone 🙌

A bit dusty on this one but very clear on most of it, except more recent things. The FB post to me above says no longer available. Zac is dad and "Zac and I" means this is from the stepmom?

Whatever happened to his corporal injury to a spouse felony charge?

It seems most likely to me that she wandered off into the desert, although, of course, possible she was picked-up.
It sure appears that way but here again a lot of unusual weird behavior by a stepmom recording her and more. Seems odd to me in cases of missing children there'd even be anything to note that way... Kyron, Karlie, etc. Never clean, clear, above board with not a big ? mark to be seen, nor cleared without suspicion.

On the other note, what happened with the corporal punishment of a wife?

It sure appears that way but here again a lot of unusual weird behavior by a stepmom recording her and more. Seems odd to me in cases of missing children there'd even be anything to note that way... Kyron, Karlie, etc. Never clean, clear, above board with not a big ? mark to be seen, nor cleared without suspicion.

On the other note, what happened with the corporal punishment of a wife?
I don't know anything about any such thing, I've ignored info which wouldn't appear to me to have anything to do with the disappearance.

In both cases, the relationships between the stepmothers and their stepchildren appear to me to have been good.

I don't know anything about any such thing, I've ignored info which wouldn't appear to me to have anything to do with the disappearance.

In both cases, the relationships between the stepmothers and their stepchildren appear to me to have been good.
Okay. The dad in Stauch would have likely said that too prior to what happened. And in others.

Still wondering what happened with the corporal abuse case.

The problem I have with her being disoriented is, She was lucid enough to speak to her boyfriend. And told him the marijuana was laced. And told her father and step mother she had smoked marijuana. I'm guessing she was just unfamiliar with the effects of marijuana. There are 2 types of marijuana. Sativa and Indica. There are over 700 different strains of marijuana. So what you get is what you get. A "Primo" Is a joint with cocaine. That's not going to do it. Back in the 60's and 70's it was Angel Dust. Now THAT is VERY bad news. But it being around now?. So laced with what?.

The problem I have with her being disoriented is, She was lucid enough to speak to her boyfriend. And told him the marijuana was laced. And told her father and step mother she had smoked marijuana. I'm guessing she was just unfamiliar with the effects of marijuana. There are 2 types of marijuana. Sativa and Indica. There are over 700 different strains of marijuana. So what you get is what you get. A "Primo" Is a joint with cocaine. That's not going to do it. Back in the 60's and 70's it was Angel Dust. Now THAT is VERY bad news. But it being around now?. So laced with what?.
Nowadays I'd say fentanyl but it doesn't fit, maybe PCP or coke? But as you say she spoke to her bf etc. My issue is that what many accept as facts in this story comes from and the last person around her was the stepmother. I don't find her believable nor do I believe she is a fountain of truth. I also think her own behavior strange. The sticker in this case is ONE supposed neighbor isn't it who claimed to have seen her walk by but that doesn't do it for me and even if so, it doesn't mean no one went after her, she did not turn around and head back home, etc. There are a few cases for me that the sticking point is a supposed account by an eyewitness or two. Serenity Dennard is a BIG one. I know you know the case as well--I have my personal opinion on that one and it isn't that she just took off and was never seen again and that was the end of it. I don't believe it in this case either.

I doubt it actually was laced but I think her suggestion that it was may reveal a symptom of psychosis. (Info includes that a friend said Karlie told her that she thought she was being tracked through her cell phone, which sounds to me like she was experiencing paranoia.)
It appears to me there was a pre-existing mental health issue and that the marijuana use that night triggered a psychotic episode which she was still experiencing when she woke up and walked away from home.

There are a few cases for me that the sticking point is a supposed account by an eyewitness or two. Serenity Dennard is a BIG one.
I was actually thinking how this case reminded me of that case in that I'm rather torn between which way I lean, that is, whether I think she was picked-up or lost in the wilderness. Both were vulnerable in either scenario.
In either case, being picked up is coincidental, which is the only reason I'm rather doubtful although, I have seen it in another case where a young girl- I don't recall her age- older than Karlie, I think- ran away from a facility and was picked up just outside the place, anyway, nearby, as I recall. It turned out that the perp worked at the facility and had been returning from a break when he picked up the girl.

I was actually thinking how this case reminded me of that case in that I'm rather torn between which way I lean, that is, whether I think she was picked-up or lost in the wilderness. Both were vulnerable in either scenario.
In either case, being picked up is coincidental, which is the only reason I'm rather doubtful although, I have seen it in another case where a young girl- I don't recall her age- older than Karlie, I think- ran away from a facility and was picked up just outside the place, anyway, nearby, as I recall. It turned out that the perp worked at the facility and had been returning from a break when he picked up the girl.
Yeah, I don't tend to believe much in such concidences, like a perp i most cases just happened to be going by when someone no one knew would run away, etc. would and they happened on them and made a split second decision. I know it is possible but generally don't think likely in most cases.

The one you mention about it being a worker, now that I can believe. I personally think Serenity's is on that order. Just my gut and have never been able to ignore that gut instinct. With Karlie too, I just don't think she was picked up... It seems the most unlikely and if she was, I'd then say it was by someone she knew...

I also think it possible both kids were tracked down by someone after they ran... And that's IF they ran or took off. Lots of IFS in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back