NE JASON JOLKOWSKI: Missing from Omaha, NE - 13 June 2001 - Age 19

1586600207101.png 1586600221598.png

NCMEC: Have you seen this child? Jason Jolkowski
NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Jason went missing when he was 19 years old. His photo is shown age progressed to 36 years. Jason was last seen leaving his home to walk to Benson High School, where he was supposed to meet a coworker for a ride to work. He never arrived at the school and has not been heard from since. Jason's nickname is J.J.

Last edited by a moderator:

1586600478273.png 1586600493344.png 1586600498875.png
1586600505733.png 1586600514582.png 1586600523374.png
Jolkowski, circa 2001; Age-progression to age 36 (circa 2017)

Missing Since: 06/13/2001
Missing From: Omaha, Nebraska
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex: Male
Race: White
Date of Birth: 06/24/1981 (38)
Height and Weight: 6'1, 160 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white Chicago Cubs or Sammy Sosa t-shirt, a blue or black Chicago Cubs baseball cap, black dress pants, and black dress shoes.
Medical Conditions: Jolkowski has learning disabilities related to speech and language. The disabilities may make him appear to be mildly mentally disabled, but he is actually of above average intelligence.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Jolkowski's nickname is JJ.

Details of Disappearance
On June 13, 2001, Jolkowski was called into work early. He worked at a Fazoli's restaurant on 80th and Cass Streets in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. His car was in the shop for repairs and he initially said he would walk there, but then called back and made arrangements for a coworker to pick him up at Jolkowski's old school, Benson High School, eight blocks from his home.

Jolkowski carried his red work t-shirt with him at the time of his disappearance. On the way out the door of his family's residence, he decided to help his younger brother take trash cans into the garage. A neighbor saw him carry the cans into the garage at his house in the area of 48th and Bedford Streets.

This was at 10:45 a.m. Between 11:15 and 11:30 a.m., Jolkowski's coworker called the house to find out why he hadn't met her at the high school. This is when his disappearance was discovered. A later check of security cameras at Benson High School show he never arrived on campus.

Jolkowski has never been heard from again. He left $650 behind in his bank account, which has not been touched since his disappearance. He has not cashed any of his paychecks, used his cellular phone or ATM card, or picked up his car from the auto repair shop since his disappearance.

Jolkowski was supposed to start a new job a week after he vanished, and was excited about it; he never showed up to begin work there. He had no more than $60 on his person on the day he disappeared, and no personal items were missing from his room. He did his household chores as usual up until the time he disappeared.

Jolkowski's loved ones suspect foul play may have been involved in his disappearance. They say he is too responsible to have left without warning, and he was not having any problems at the time of his disappearance. He is described as a shy person who was not involved with drugs or alcohol and was close to his family at the time of his disappearance. He has no known enemies.

Jolkowski was born in Grand Island, Nebraska. At the time of his disappearance, he was attending community college part-time and had gotten into the radio broadcasting program.

His mother founded Project Jason, a non-profit organization dedicated to assisting the families of missing people and publicizing missing person cases, after her son vanished. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Omaha Police Department 402-444-5657

Into Thin Air: The Baffling Disappearance of Jason Jolkowski

November 22, 2017 ~ consideringcoldcases

Jason Jolkowski was a kind-hearted 19-year-old man who lived in Omaha, Nebraska. In 2001, he was a high-school graduate attending Iowa Western Community College part-time while living at home and working at a local restaurant as well as at 89.7 The River, the college’s radio station. Jason had slight learning difficulties relating to speech and language which were not visible but would become apparent if you spoke to him. Jason was said to be of above average intelligence. In 2001, he vanished into thin air in his own neighbourhood within a 30-minute time frame.

A Reddit user, djg123, who says she knew Jason from his job at 89.7 The River, had this to say about that job: “He went by mostly JJ, but also “Jammin’ Jason” for one segment he did. 89.7 The River calls themselves “The Cutting Edge of Rock” and so they play rock and alternative. As JJ, he did a lot of evening and late-night shifts (that is when the students in the Media Studies Program worked). He was a River at Night deejay, so it was a lot of harder rock. Sometimes he had me call in during his shifts to be “Party Girl” and he would put me on air to give updates on parties that were happening in the area. Jammin’ Jason was his handle when he did sports I believe.”

Jason was known for his shy nature and kindness; his mom has said he would open doors for elderly people and help someone across the street. In high school, he would help a boy in a wheelchair get from class to class. He was described as shy but aspired to a career as a radio DJ. At the time of his disappearance, he was due to start a new job as a radio DJ the next week (different from his current radio DJ job).

Jason worked at a restaurant called Fazoli’s part-time. He usually drove to work. It was normal for him to be called in to work to start early and on June 13, 2001, that is exactly what happened. It was a Wednesday and Jason was at home with his younger brother Michael, 13, while his parents were at work. Unfortunately, Jason’s car was in the shop and he told his manager that he would walk to work. This was quite a distance, so the manager called back and told Jason that a female co-worker would pick him up at Benson High School at 11am and drive Jason to work. The school is eight blocks from Jason’s home. Jason agreed. The reason for meeting at the high school rather than at home is that Jason thought it would be easier to direct his co-worker there, rather than try to explain the directions right to his front door. Of course, this was 2001, before we all had GPS to direct us everywhere.

Before he left for work, Jason showered and dressed in a Chicago Cubs t-shirt, black dress pants and black dress shoes and helped his younger brother Michael bring in the trash cans, which had been emptied that morning. This was at 10:45am and was corroborated by a neighbour who saw Jason in the driveway. He then left his home and has NEVER been seen since. The co-worker waited for Jason at the high school but eventually left at around 11:15am. Jason was not seen on surveillance cameras near the school, indicating he never made it that far. Jason’s co-worker called his house from a payphone to find out where he was. It is at this time that Jason’s disappearance was discovered.

Jason Jolkowski still missing 17 years later
By 6 News | Posted: Tue 8:16 PM, Jun 12, 2018

1586601079654.png

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - On June 13, 2001 19-year-old Jason Jolkowski never made it to Benson high School where he was supposed to meet his ride to work.

The teen disappeared without a trace, but his family still hopes he is out there and okay.

Leads in the case dried up a long time ago. The family is now working with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to continue work to find Jason.

The collaboration produced an age progression image of what Jason might look like today, at age 36, based off old photographs of him and images of family members with similar features at the age he would be today.

Anyone with information on Jason's whereabouts are encouraged to call the Omaha Police Department at 402-444-5818 or 402-444-5690, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 800-843-5678.

Jason was last seen leaving his residence in the area of 48th and Bedford St in Omaha, NE en route to Benson High School.

1586601859836.png

1586601775813.png
Bedford Ave & N 48th Ave
Omaha, NE 68104, USA

bdwoEEH.png

It should have taken Jason approximately 10 minutes to walk from his residence to the Benson High School where a coworker was to pick him up for work. Surveillance cameras near the school indicate Jason never arrived at the school.

Last edited:
I could have swore we already had a thread for Jason! :thinking:

Jason's disappearance has eerie similarities to the disappearance of Samuel Sherman, another young man who disappeared from the same neighbourhood in Omaha, NE on July 19, 2001.

- Both were of the same age, sex and race.
- Both disappeared from the same neighborhood (Bedford Avenue in Omaha)
- Samuel Sherman disappeared a month after Jason.
- Both young men disappeared while en route to another location, Jolkowski vanished while walking to Benson High School, Sherman disappeared after leaving for a job interview.

Samuel Sherman NamUs page
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

There is no photo available for Samuel Sherman and literally no information about him online.

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
I could have swore we already had a thread for Jason! :thinking:

Jason's disappearance has eerie similarities to the disappearance of Samuel Sherman, another young man who disappeared from the same neighbourhood in Omaha, NE on July 19, 2001.

- Both were of the same age, sex and race.
- Both disappeared in the same neighborhood (Bedford Avenue in Omaha)
- Samuel Sherman disappeared a month after Jason.
- Both young men disappeared while en route to another location, Jolkowski vanished while walking to Benson High School, Sherman disappeared after leaving for a job interview.

Samuel Sherman NamUs page https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/1769

There is no photo available for Samuel Sherman and literally no information about him online.

What does everyone think?
I've heard of Jason before, but I've never read his story. I think that it is a strong possibility that the two cases are connected. I wonder why there are no pictures of Samuel? That's sad.

I've heard of Jason before, but I've never read his story. I think that it is a strong possibility that the two cases are connected. I wonder why there are no pictures of Samuel? That's sad.

Jason's mother touched on Samuel Sherman very briefly during this podcast, she said that she has asked the police to look into whether there is a connection but they haven't been able to come to a conclusion.

Somebody on WS reached out to an Omaha detective in an email who responded stating that the biggest challenge in Sherman's case is the lack of information, as well as that some of the information they do have is incorrect.

Jason's mother touched on Samuel Sherman very briefly during this podcast, she said that she has asked the police to look into whether there is a connection but they haven't been able to come to a conclusion.

Somebody on WS reached out to an Omaha detective in an email who responded stating that the biggest challenge in Sherman's case is the lack of information, as well as that some of the information they do have is incorrect.
I've run into stonewalling detectives before and both times they had their heels dug in because they had come to a conclusion that couldn't be prosecuted, so they didn't want anybody else's help.

Never knew of this case before. So strange. Such a short distance and time frame. One does not think of 19 year olds as snatched easily off the street. While stranger abductions can happen, he was not a child and his slight learning disabilities it is said were something no one would realize until talking to him. 19 and above average intelligence so not clueless imo. To me, this would lean towards someone who knew him or he trusted. Looking at the map Bedford Avenue looks like a pretty main street. Were there businesses on it. I am going to look if I get a chance. Do they have video anywhere? Did he leave his home? All I gather is the neighbor saw him bring trash cans in. I imagine he did leave, I don't mean that, I am just wondering if anyone saw him after bringing the trash cans in on surveillance, walking, etc. If one looks at the map, there is what looks like a shorter route and not such a main street, I wonder if they know and are sure about the route he took, again sighting or surveillance/security video?

While crimes of opportunity do happen, it seems unlikely here. Short distance limited time frame. He is not a young child, you can't just pick him up and snatch him. I feel it had to be someone who knew him or knew he was walking and pulled up and offered him a ride before he got to the school? I would look at all on the route, the neighbors for sure who may have seen him leave walking, and anyone in the work place etc. who knew he would be leaving home and walking. The time of day would have been broad daylight in a city on city streets. An adult. Strange case. Did he stop at a business or someone's home on the way I wonder otherwise?

The only other possibility is he ran off willingly and it seems highly unlikely from what is said here. Did he have a cell phone? 2001 it wouldn't be unheard of.

I am curious if the Sherman guy's job interview was for anything similar to Jason's jobs. He was to start a new one as well... Any connections on the new jobs/interviews, etc.?

Just my thoughts on a first read through.

Family of Omaha man who disappeared 20 years ago plans memorial event​

Sunday will mark the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of Jason Jolkowski.

To this day his disappearance remains a mystery.

The Jolkowski family has planned a memorial event for 2 p.m. Sunday in Robert’s Skateboard Park at 730 N. 78th St., near a tree and plaque dedicated to Jolkowski.

At the event, attendees can paint rocks to hide later that include the hashtag #FindJasonJ.

An activity planned by Jolkowski’s mother, Kelly Murphy, and cousin, the rocks are meant to spread awareness of Jolkowski, and the family encourages participants across the country to take part.

“Unfortunately, with this mark, I will have not had him more years than I had him in my life since he disappeared at the age 19. He was almost 20, but he was 19. That’s just hard to fathom. 20 years, that’s two decades.”

This Sunday, June 13th, Jason’s friends and family will gather at Robert’s Park at 2 p.m. by the tree planted for Jason to paint rocks with the hashtag #FindJasonJ.

The public is also encouraged to participate.

“Unfortunately, with this mark, I will have not had him more years than I had him in my life since he disappeared at the age 19. He was almost 20, but he was 19. That’s just hard to fathom. 20 years, that’s two decades.”

This Sunday, June 13th, Jason’s friends and family will gather at Robert’s Park at 2 p.m. by the tree planted for Jason to paint rocks with the hashtag #FindJasonJ.

The public is also encouraged to participate.

So the WS member was trolling? What the heck? But he’s not listed on NamUS anymore. Is that right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back