1582430030882.png

Texas father still looking for answers, justice in 2010 death of Hailey Dunn

The disappearance of 13-year-old middle school student Hailey Dunn in Colorado City hits its nine-year anniversary this month with her father, Clint Dunn, still looking for answers.

"I feel like I'm left in the darkness because law enforcement is not communicating with me at all," said Clint Dunn, speaking via telephone this week. "... This needs to move forward."

Hailey's death remains unsolved, though her remains were found in 2013 in Scurry County.

Investigators named Shawn Adkins, the live-in boyfriend of Hailey's mother, Billie Jean Dunn, at the time of the teen's disappearance, the primary person of interest, according to Reporter-News archives. He has not been charged with a crime in the case.

Clint Dunn said Thursday that law enforcement officials had indicated to him that when a body was found, an arrest would be made.

"I want to know why that hasn't happened and who do I need to get in here to try to help," he said.

Clint Dunn has secured a private investigator, he said, and as tips are received, they are passed on to authorities.

But return replies are few, if any, he said.

"We don't even know who's got the case right now," he said. "... We've called everybody — the FBI, the Texas Rangers, (an investigator) that was over the case for so long in Scurry County. ... I just want to know why they haven't brought this to trial yet. Why hasn't there been a court date?"

Document Database: 115 pages of pretrial paperwork filed in the murder of Hailey Dunn, Adkins set for trial in April​

One hundred fifteen pages of pretrial paperwork has been filed in the murder of Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn as suspect Shawn Adkins is set to stand trial later this year.

A final pretrial hearing has been scheduled for Adkins in Nolan County February 10, ahead of the trial, which is currently set for April 11.

Adkins’ attorney has been hard at work filing pretrial motions, largely related to discovery of evidence, in connection to the murder.

A brief summary of each document filed in the case can be read below, followed by a compilation of all 115-pages worth of pretrial documents obtained by KTAB and KRBC:

SEE ALL AT LINK

I see dates when the evidence was presented to the defense, but not any of the evidence itself. Am I overlooking something?

IT’S A GLITCH: No, accused Hailey Dunn killer Shawn Adkins was not released from jail​

The suspect accused of killing Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn has not been released from jail, despite a message indicating he was.

Monday, subscribers who were following the status of suspect Shawn Adkins on a tracking service called VINELink received a notification saying Adkins had been released from jail because he completed his sentence.

Mitchell County Sheriff Patrick Toombs told KTAB and KRBC this message was a glitch the system sent in error, and that Adkins remains behind bars at the Mitchell County Jail, where he has been held since his arrest in mid-2021.

Adkins is set to stand trial for Murder and Tampering with Evidence in April of this year in connection to Hailey’s disappearance and death.

Shawn Adkins trial pushed back after continuance motion granted​

The trial of Shawn Adkins, the man accused of killing teenager Hailey Dunn, has been pushed back after the defense team was granted a continuance by the judge in the 32nd District Court.

According to the District Clerk in Mitchell County, the new trial date will either be on Aug. 7 or Sept. 11. Adkins trial was supposed to begin on April 11, 2023.

The trial of Shawn Adkins, the man accused of killing teenager Hailey Dunn, has been pushed back after the defense team was granted a continuance by the judge in the 32nd District Court.

According to the District Clerk in Mitchell County, the new trial date will either be on Aug. 7 or Sept. 11. Adkins trial was supposed to begin on April 11, 2023.
Talking about the wheels of justice moving slowly! Everyone knew he killed her from day ONE and we're still here 13 years later!

OH FFS!

Pre-trial held for Shawn Adkins in Hailey Dunn murder case
A pre-trial was held today for the Shawn Adkins murder case.

Today, court officials and the state provided new evidence to the defense. Included in the evidence were newly recorded interviews from a private investigator hired by Hailey Dunn's family.

The trial is currently set for August 7th, 2023, but both the defense and state have asked the date to be moved to September 11th.

The judge also discussed a possible pre-questionnaire to be sent to potential jurors.

Hailey Dunn's father looks to pass legislation in memory of his daughter​

Clint Dunn has been mourning the loss of his daughter, Hailey Dunn, since 2010. But now he is using what happened to him to try and make a difference in the lives of others in the form of legislation.

"13 years later, 12.5 years later, and they're still finding evidence and they're still having to process things," said Dunn.

"The attorney general's office said that they are still receiving data, and that's why they need the delay because they're still finding discovery materials," said Christine Salzer, founder of Moms on a Mission. "That's an issue."

Dunn is trying to make a change, so that what happened to him and his family doesn't happen again.

"I think, without a doubt, that if this legislation was in place at that police department then things would have went way differently and an arrest would have been made over a decade ago," said Dunn.

Dunn is trying to pass a bill in memory of his daughter called "Hailey's Act," which focuses on police accountability

"Police departments haven't been held accountable for whenever they mess up, and having transparency with parents and families of missing people and murdered people, there's just no transparency," said Dunn.

Their goal is to improve police forces and add new rules and regulatory bodies.

"The mistakes that happen in cases like this, we see that repeated," said Salzer. "The ultimate goal is to make them better officers. You know, what we do can sound like it's critical or like we want to beat them down, and that's not it at all. What we want to do is to make sure they have the proper support that they need."

At this time, Clint Dunn has just drafted a bill himself and he is looking for lawmakers to help co-write the bill with him.

Hailey Dunn's father looks to pass legislation in memory of his daughter​

Clint Dunn has been mourning the loss of his daughter, Hailey Dunn, since 2010. But now he is using what happened to him to try and make a difference in the lives of others in the form of legislation.

"13 years later, 12.5 years later, and they're still finding evidence and they're still having to process things," said Dunn.

"The attorney general's office said that they are still receiving data, and that's why they need the delay because they're still finding discovery materials," said Christine Salzer, founder of Moms on a Mission. "That's an issue."

Dunn is trying to make a change, so that what happened to him and his family doesn't happen again.

"I think, without a doubt, that if this legislation was in place at that police department then things would have went way differently and an arrest would have been made over a decade ago," said Dunn.

Dunn is trying to pass a bill in memory of his daughter called "Hailey's Act," which focuses on police accountability

"Police departments haven't been held accountable for whenever they mess up, and having transparency with parents and families of missing people and murdered people, there's just no transparency," said Dunn.

Their goal is to improve police forces and add new rules and regulatory bodies.

"The mistakes that happen in cases like this, we see that repeated," said Salzer. "The ultimate goal is to make them better officers. You know, what we do can sound like it's critical or like we want to beat them down, and that's not it at all. What we want to do is to make sure they have the proper support that they need."

At this time, Clint Dunn has just drafted a bill himself and he is looking for lawmakers to help co-write the bill with him.
I understand how he feels about this, but then there’s the part of releasing discovery before you make an arrest. There’s so many issues with allowing disclosure. If you have a family member that wants to go and talk to the press and give out information they shouldn’t, it can upset the trial and let the killer go free.

I understand how he feels about this, but then there’s the part of releasing discovery before you make an arrest. There’s so many issues with allowing disclosure. If you have a family member that wants to go and talk to the press and give out information they shouldn’t, it can upset the trial and let the killer go free.
I didn't read it so much as releasing info. He said they were still RECEIVING and PROCESSING info from 12+ years ago... That's an issue. Obviously an investigation is going to be a continuous thing. And technologies change and sometimes you find new things down the road. But they've had more than a decade. And now because there's charges they're finally processing things? Seems a bit backwards.
He did mention transparency, but I'm not convinced he meant that the families should be given every detail.
I guess we'll have to wait and see because the article didn't really give details about what his bill would mean in terms of the "transparency" and "accountability".

Family of Hailey Dunn: Shawn Adkins to be released from jail​

Shawn Adkins is set to be released from jail between now and July 7, according to Hailey Dunn's father Clint Dunn.

Dunn said he was told there wasn't enough evidence to take the case to trial.

He also said the judge is currently working through paperwork.

Dunn's private investigator said the prosecutor dropped the charges at the request of the FBI. She said the case was dismissed with prejudice, which means it could be refiled later.

NewsWest 9 called the Nolan County Courthouse. They said they have no comment at this time.

Adkins denied a plea deal on May 20 that would have put him behind bars for 30 years, according to Hailey's father.

Family of Hailey Dunn: Shawn Adkins to be released from jail​

Shawn Adkins is set to be released from jail between now and July 7, according to Hailey Dunn's father Clint Dunn.

Dunn said he was told there wasn't enough evidence to take the case to trial.

He also said the judge is currently working through paperwork.

Dunn's private investigator said the prosecutor dropped the charges at the request of the FBI. She said the case was dismissed with prejudice, which means it could be refiled later.

NewsWest 9 called the Nolan County Courthouse. They said they have no comment at this time.

Adkins denied a plea deal on May 20 that would have put him behind bars for 30 years, according to Hailey's father.
I am not overly familiar with this case and don't have time to get up to speed on it. So this man was charged with her murder and was in jail (for how long?) and they are letting him go free and not going to prosecute??? I don't understand. You arrest because you DO have enough to go to trial. Was there a probable cause hearing that they passed? Which IS having enough to go to triail per the judge. Or prelim?

I am not overly familiar with this case and don't have time to get up to speed on it. So this man was charged with her murder and was in jail (for how long?) and they are letting him go free and not going to prosecute??? I don't understand. You arrest because you DO have enough to go to trial. Was there a probable cause hearing that they passed? Which IS having enough to go to triail per the judge. Or prelim?
I’ll tell you what, I’m furious! They say there’s not enough evidence? Well, there is. We knew about it early on in the case! But Hailey‘s mother was covering for him in the beginning, which didn’t help, and then it just seemed like the whole process was dumb and dumber. I’m so mad. Just furious.

I’ll tell you what, I’m furious! They say there’s not enough evidence? Well, there is. We knew about it early on in the case! But Hailey‘s mother was covering for him in the beginning, which didn’t help, and then it just seemed like the whole process was dumb and dumber. I’m so mad. Just furious.
They at least did it to where they can refile, so hopefully more like another hiccup. Better this than losing the case if it came to trial and he's forever free. He's at least not going to be able to relax while out, wondering when he's going to be re-arrested. I'm glad they are looking at that aspect, myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back