IN CHENELL GILBERT: Missing from Indianapolis, IN - 9 June 2020 - Age 42

The substitute teacher, loving mother and grandmother was last known to be in the Sungate subdivision near Rockville and Girl School roads in the early hours of June 9. Smith organized the search party and is speaking on behalf of Gilbert's daughters who say their mother always stays in close contact.

"For her children, her friends, her family this is so unlike her," Smith said. "This is not her. They are extremely weary. We just need answers."

Gilbert was last seen wearing a black sweatsuit, with a black tote purse and braided hair. The group is asking anyone with information to contact police immediately so this mother can be back with her family.

Anyone with information on Gilbert's whereabouts is asked to contact the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department at 317-327-3811 or Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.

1592019567254.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very little info, was she outside or inside? Meaning was she last seen at someone's house or outside? 6 a.m. on a weekday? Headed to the gym maybe? Work? Although a sweat suit generally would not be worn to work most places. Says she was "carrying" a black tote purse, that makes it sound active as if she was walking perhaps...

I just looked up the subdivision. Very decent looking, houses built around the year 2000, so not too old. Median home price $150,000, lots look nice. Just looked at a few of them. Maybe she was last seen at home or was she visiting here or walking here? I am not the best at maps but it would be nice to see if there are businesses in the area she may have been headed to. Wish they would have provided a bit more info...

I never try to link maps so not sure if this will work. The red pinpoint is just any house in the subdivision, I picked one from a real estate site. The two roads mentioned are on here. If she was actually in the subdivision, one can see it is off road as one would expect with cul de sacs, but does extend from one area further back. Not a lot around for businesses but a few, unless it doesn't show all. However, we do not even know that she was walking do we? So little detail.

I don't have it, but shewho eluded to it upstream, but didn't post the link.
I don't know how to do much on Twitter. I searched her name and found a few comments and that was all but again, don't know what I am doing. Saw one comment that may fit but unsure if it is the one meant. @SheWhoMustNotBeNamed . It could be because I saw no basis for what the person said. It was about a car? I will leave it at that.

Per https://www.in.gov/isp/3187.htm her name is spelled Chenell and she is 42 years old. Haven't seen her age mentioned anywhere. The video above mentioned she is a grandmother. Very young g'ma.
My mom was 37. She had me at 19 and I had my first at 18. She was a stepgrandmother prior to 37 but I made her a biological one. My grandchildren my daughter had when she was in her mid 20s so I was not as young as my mom when I became a grandmother but I was about Chenell's age, 43. None of us were under 18. I get what you mean though, she is a young woman and she is missing and with children and grandchildren it seems unlikely it was voluntary.

I just realized something. Are any of the updates etc. from LE and are they actively searching?

My mom was 37. She had me at 19 and I had my first at 18. She was a stepgrandmother prior to 37 but I made her a biological one. My grandchildren my daughter had when she was in her mid 20s so I was not as young as my mom when I became a grandmother but I was about Chenell's age, 43. None of us were under 18. I get what you mean though, she is a young woman and she is missing and with children and grandchildren it seems unlikely it was voluntary.

I just realized something. Are any of the updates etc. from LE and are they actively searching?

Yeah. I didn't mean that she was TOO young to have grandchildren. Just young with a big family.

I have seen no statements at all from LE. Does not appear they are searching. But there is an official police report filed.

Yeah. I didn't mean that she was TOO young to have grandchildren. Just young with a big family.

I have seen no statements at all from LE. Does not appear they are searching. But there is an official police report filed.
Yes, I understood what you meant :)

I know Indianapolis has a lot of crime and a lot of murders. When Amiah Robertson went missing, I was checking some of Indy's papers daily for some time and then I was following another case or two there which I think are still unsolved as well. Anyhow, it was shocking to me how many murders were in the paper daily much less weekly. Even with a big department, how they keep up is difficult to imagine. There was a lot of criticism as well of the department from some in the area. That is typical of anywhere though so it is not my opinion, nor do I know, just sharing it. The amount of crime though staggered me, daily.

Even so, however, I do not get why they are not searching here or doing more. Do they figure she is an adult who went missing on her own?

Even so, however, I do not get why they are not searching here or doing more. Do they figure she is an adult who went missing on her own?

Unfortunately this is the reality for MOST missing persons cases. Police are required to take the report. They're not required to search. They're not required to put out a release to the media. They're really not required to do anything other than acknowledge that she is missing. And unless there's something glaringly concerning, they're not going to do anything.

Just on the Indiana missing persons list I linked above there are 1,130 missing persons listed. In ONE state! Only 199 are even listed with NamUs. How many do you suppose they're actively searching for? My guess is it's less than 10. They may have "active" case files on many, but those that actually have detectives assigned, active searches, TRULY active cases? Not many. This is the unfortunate reality of having a missing loved one.

Just the fact that she's got one article in MSM is more than most get.

Unfortunately this is the reality for MOST missing persons cases. Police are required to take the report. They're not required to search. They're not required to put out a release to the media. They're really not required to do anything other than acknowledge that she is missing. And unless there's something glaringly concerning, they're not going to do anything.

Just on the Indiana missing persons list I linked above there are 1,130 missing persons listed. In ONE state! Only 199 are even listed with NamUs. How many do you suppose they're actively searching for? My guess is it's less than 10. They may have "active" case files on many, but those that actually have detectives assigned, active searches, TRULY active cases? Not many. This is the unfortunate reality of having a missing loved one.

Just the fact that she's got one article in MSM is more than most get.
I agree but we also see some treated differently when it has been this many days at least. One of the cases I was following in Indy was a missing woman. However, the department involved was a suburb department I believe. There was no initial reason to panic other than they found her car in a parking lot with no signs of foul play but they searched and obtained camera footage.

I don't disagree there are many and some are not actively searched for, especially after years pass. It happens with children as well. We had one near my home area years ago still unsolved that did not get near the attention others have. With recent cases though, that do hit the news, when they are gone longer than 24 or 48 hours or whatever is required, I would expect to see a bit more. Who knows, however, they may be collecting video footage and doing other things.

I am not criticizing so much as a lot of silence in any case makes me wonder. Sometimes it means something else is up, sometimes it means they have nothing, and sometimes it means they are working hard but we just don't know where or how...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back