CAROL RYAN: Brutally killed in Jamesville, NY - 1 Sept 1996 - $10,000 REWARD

ZC98sPh.jpg

Carol Ryan was last seen on September 1, 1996 leaving East Room Bar off of James Street at approximately 2 a.m. Several hours later she was found seriously injured and left to die on Route 91 in Jamesville, NY. Carol was taken to the hospital where she died from her injuries after five hours of surgery.

Authorities stated that Carol had been brutally beaten and somebody had inserted an explosive device into her vagina. No one was been charged in this case.

Last edited:

After 20 years, CNY woman's brutal murder remains unsolved
Updated Mar 22, 2019; Posted Aug 30, 2016

JAMESVILLE, N.Y. -- When a fisherman found Carol Ryan naked and face-down in Jamesville on Sept. 1, 1996, he thought she had been shot.

She was barely alive in the driveway of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency's driveway, according to The Post-Standard | Syracuse.com's archives.

Ryan, 42, had been fatally wounded in an unimaginable manner: Someone had inserted an explosive device into her vagina and detonated it.

She was rushed to a Syracuse hospital, where she died five hours later. And 20 years later, her murder remains unsolved.

Ryan spent her last night alive at the East Room bar in Eastwood, according to The Post-Standard | Syracuse.com's archives. She stayed until the bar closed at 2 a.m. -- extending an open invitation for breakfast to anyone who was interested.

Ryan left the bar alone. And hours later, she was fatally wounded and left to die near a county resource recovery site off of Route 91.

After Ryan's death, investigators conducted hundreds of interviews and tracked a host of leads. Two of her loved ones -- her son, Shawn Hamilton, and her sister, Kathy Lane -- have joined investigators in seeking justice for Ryan, hanging up posters and working to ensure her death was not forgotten.

Two decades later, no arrests have been made.

On Wednesday morning, the late Syracuse woman's family will join Onondaga County Sheriff Gene Conway and the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office at the sheriff's headquarters to discuss Ryan's case, said Sgt. Jon Seeber, a spokesman for the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office. He said investigators are hoping someone with information about the homicide will come forward.

$10k reward offered for tips in cold case murder of Carol Ryan
by CNYCentral Thursday, September 1st 2016

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Investigators are offering a $10,000 reward for any tips that lead to an arrest and conviction in the cold case murder of Carol Ryan.

Ryan was last seen on September 1, 1996 at 2 a.m. leaving the East Room Bar off of James Street before she was found beaten, tortured and left to die on Route 91 in Jamesville. Investigators say someone planted an explosive device inside her and detonated it.

Ryan died at the hospital from her injuries after five hours of surgery.

Detectives are hoping with the passage of time someone will be willing to come forward with information that may be the key to solving the cold case and help bring a sense of closure to the Ryan family. During a news conference on Wednesday, Ryan's son made a plea for someone to come forward with information that could help solve his mother's murder.

"Just help my family," said Shawn Hamilton. "I have three kids now. They are always asking questions about who their grandmother is, how she died. They are absolutely the hardest questions I have ever been asked in my life."

Investigators are also hoping modern technology can help take a tip and turn it into the key that breaks open the case.

"The Forensic Science Center has been there every step of the way since we formed the Cold Case Task Force," said Chief Assistant District Attorney Rick Trunfio. "They have been reviewing evidence. We were just there a couple weeks ago with the detectives going over things. What are the new technologies, what are the new possibilities."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office at 315-435-3051.

'Just help my family': $10K reward offered to help solve brutal 1996 Jamesville murder
Updated Mar 22, 2019; Posted Aug 31, 2016

yDD9Z1gl.jpg

Shawn Hamilton, son of the late Carol M. Ryan, asks the public for help solving his mother's murder Wednesday as Onondaga County Sheriff Gene Conway looks on. Hamilton spoke at a news conference at the sheriff's department headquarters marking the 20th anniversary of Ryan's murder in Jamesville.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Since the day his mother was brutally murdered 20 years ago, Shawn Hamilton has had no shortage of painful moments.

But nothing has been harder, he said, than answering his children when they ask what happened to Carol M. Ryan -- the grandmother they never got a chance to meet.

Someone inserted an explosive device into Ryan's vagina on Sept. 1, 1996 and detonated it. They then left her naked and dying in a driveway off of Route 91 near the Jamesville Reservoir Two decades later, her murder remains unsolved. And on the eve of the 20th anniversary of Ryan's death, Hamilton asked the public to help find his mother's killer.

"Just help my family," he said, his voice shaking.

Hamilton joined law enforcement Wednesday morning at the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office headquarters in Syracuse for a news conference about his mother's murder. During the conference, Onondaga County Sheriff Eugene Conway announced a $10,000 reward for information that helps arrest and convict Ryan's killer.

Conway asked the public to come forward with any information about the murder.

"We're hoping that the passage of two decades has led to a change of heart," Conway said.

The reward was given by an anonymous donor. Hamilton, First Chief Assistant District Attorney Rick Trunfio and investigators joined Conway as he announced the reward.

Conway was a the department's captain of investigations 20 years ago when deputies were called to the scene of the attack.

A fisherman ran for help just before sunrise on Sept. 1, 1996 after finding Ryan alone and barely alive in the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency's driveway. Ryan died five hours later at a hospital.

She was 42 years old.

Conway said it is impossible not to remember the "horrific" way Ryan died. "I've never forgotten Carol Ryan's name," he said. "I've never forgotten this day."

Conway said detectives worked on chasing down a lead as recently as last week. Detective Bill Root, one of the detectives investigating the cold case, would not comment of whether the department has any suspects.

In addition to the monetary incentive, Conway said witnesses now have more ways to share information than they did 20 years ago. He asked anyone with information to call (315) 435-3051 or text TIP411.

Hamilton speaks to his children about their grandmother and has photos of her around the home. He said he keeps one photo of Ryan next to his coffeepot -- ensuring the first thing he does every day is say "good morning" to his mother.

It has been a long, hard 20 years since his mother's murder, Hamilton said. But he hasn't stopped hoping that his family will find answers and justice.

"I pray every day," he said.

http://centralny.twcnews.com/content/news/499975/case-unsolved-after-15-years/

Case unsolved after 15 years
By: Joleene Des Rosiers 03/27/2010 08:20 AM

Once a month, YNN is bringing a cold case to your attention in an effort to help bring the killer or killers to justice. This month, YNN's Joleene Des Rosiers explores the unsettled death of 42-year-old Carol Ryan. Murdered in Jamesville, NY, in 1996.

JAMESVILLE, N.Y. -- "What struck me, of course, as it did most of the detectives that have worked on this case was the nature of the injuries. Obviously, the perpetrator had taken some type of explosive device. I think we speculated it might have been an M80. Placed it in her vagina and set it off," said Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick

A heinous, despicable, indescribable crime. Someone, in the early morning hours of September 1, 1996, brutally beat 42-year-old Carol Ryan beyond recognition and left her to die at the entrance of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency in Jamesville.

"She was still alive, even after suffering this blunt trauma and the explosive device, she was still alive," said Detective Keith Hall.

"This is one of the most gruesome deaths that I had ever seen. The use of an explosive. The extensive beating said Onondaga County Sheriff Kevin Walsh.

For her son, Shawn Hamilton, the pain of her death is unbearable even after 15 years. His mother will never know his family. "I pray. I pray a lot. I know that she's still looking out for me," Hamilton said.

Carol Ryan lived in Eastwood at Grant Village Apartments. Her mode of transportation? Her feet. She often walked to where she needed to go. Including a local bar not far from her home.

"The last place she was seen alive for sure was the East Room Tavern on James Street in Eastwood section of the city," Fitzpatrick said.

"She was last seen leaving the bar wearing a black jacket with fringe. A silver silk blouse and dark colored jeans," Hall said.

She left alone. Somehow, somewhere, she found company. They beat her, drove her to the side of Route 91 in Jamesville, dumped her body at the entrance of the OCRRA site and then detonated an explosive device in her pelvis. She lay there for at least three hours, moaning, fighting for her life.

"She was discovered a little after 5 o'clock in the morning on September 1, 1996, by a passing motorist. He was on his way to fish," Hall said.

"He saw something alongside the road," said Walsh.

It was Carol Ryan. Barely alive. EMTs moved fast to save her. But she died during surgery. And authorities have never stopped looking for her killer.

"The reason that we're even discussing this case is because we feel certain that there are people out there that may have seen something either that night or the following morning or in the 15 years since that have some information. They may be afraid of this person, justifiably so. We can make efforts to protect them. We can put them in protective custody. We can move them. We can do a lot of things. But we need someone to come forward and give us the missing pieces that we need to finally solve this case," Fitzpatrick said.

"The guilt can weigh on people. And it can be the thing that triggers somebody to come forward. Not that they necessarily were the ones who did it, but they have that guilty knowledge on who committed this crime," said Walsh.

"My Mom was gruesomely beaten and killed. And what kind of closure can you ever have on that? I have to live the rest of my life like this. With these thoughts, with these feelings," Hamilton said.

"This is one of those cases that she sustained such traumatic injury, that everyone has a vested interest in this in getting it closed. We look to the public. If you have any information or any recollection about things that may have been mentioned to you in 1996 or even recently. Give us a call," said Hall.

Carol Ryan's personal affects have never been found. Her purse. A red, ruby ring. Fitzpatrick believes the killer went to great lengths to get rid of these items in an effort to hide any DNA evidence.
But some evidence still remains. And new technology is bringing them even closer. All they need now is that one tip from you.

Right now, this case is unsettled. And it's up to you to turn it around. Remember, you can and will be protected. Call (315) 435-3081 with any information you have on the 1996 killing of Carol Ryan.

Just thinking about this. That is such an extreme level of violence. It shows extreme anger IMO. And humiliation to her to where it seems personal. Maybe she knew the person. Funny there wouldn't be a suspect. But I don't get the feeling that it was a stranger.

25-year-old cold case murder still under investigation in Onondaga County
The Onondaga County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help as it continues to investigate a 25-year-old unsolved murder case.

Detectives are still looking for information on who may have killed Carol M. Ryan, a Syracuse woman who was brutally murdered in 1996.

Ryan, then 42, was found beaten and left to die along Route 91 near the Jamesville Reservoir on Sept. 1, 1996. She was taken to Upstate Hospital, where she later died. Detectives said an explosive device caused her injuries. Ryan was last seen alive on James Street in the Eastwood area of Syracuse.

Detectives believe that with the passage of time, someone may be willing to come forward with information. They said solving this cold case could help bring a sense of closure to the Ryan family.

The Sheriff's Office is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Ryan's murderer. Anyone with information should call the office's tip line at 315-435-3051 or send a tip to tip411.

Reward offered for answers in Jamesville cold case​

In the wake of the 25th anniversary of a Syracuse resident’s murder, the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office announced it is offering a reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of whoever was responsible.

The county sheriff’s office is putting forth an anonymously sponsored $10,000 reward for information that would assist in solving the cold case.

“At this point, it is highly unlikely that there would be multiple people providing info that would lead to this, but everything received would have to be evaluated,” said sheriff’s office spokesman Sgt. Jon Seeber. “The pool of money could be split if there were multiple critical tips, or perhaps the donor would provide additional funding.”

Despite the passage of more than two decades and the possibility that the culprit may now be deceased, the sheriff’s office remains “very optimistic” that the murder can be solved, an outcome that would foreseeably help to bring closure to Ryan’s family.

Anyone with relevant information can contact the office’s tip line by calling 315-435-3051 or by texting TIPONON and a message to 847411.

Carol Ryan’s cold case: Horrific Syracuse murder remains unsolved 26 years later​

One of the most cruel and disturbing crimes in Onondaga County history took place on this day, 26 years ago.

When a fisherman found Carol Ryan naked and severely wounded on Sept. 1, 1996, he thought she had been shot.

She was hanging on to life in the driveway of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency, across the street from the Jamesville Reservoir.

The fisherman ran to a nearby security office to call 911, according to Post-Standard archives. He then returned to stay with Carol until the ambulance arrived. He repeatedly tried to ask her, “What happened to you?” She could not respond.

Carol was rushed to Upstate University Hospital and underwent emergency surgery, but her injuries were too traumatic.

Her murder remains unsolved, 26 years later.

Witnesses remember seeing Carol wearing a silver shirt, black jeans, black boots, silver jewelry, and a black suede leather jacket with fringe on the front.

Two of her rings were left at the scene. Her clothes, shoes and silver pendant were never found.

Detective Alexander Hebert took over as lead detective on Carol’s case in 2021, after a previous detective retired from the sheriff’s office. Hebert hadn’t heard of Carol’s case before it was assigned to him, and he found the details “gruesome.”

“How could anybody even fathom doing this to another human being?” Hebert told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard. “It definitely stays with me. There’s a heavy weight. There’s pressure from wanting to give closure for the family.”

After researching the case for over a year, Hebert said he believes the original detectives did a thorough job collecting evidence and conducting interviews. But limitations in technology, he said, worked against the sheriff’s office in 1996.

“I just wish the technology that we have now was available back then,” Hebert said. “You know, cell phones… now you have cell towers that you can use for these investigations. But then, that wasn’t a thing.”

Capt. Daniel Brogan currently heads up the Criminal Investigations Division for the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, and he worked as a detective with the team on Carol’s case back in 1996.

Brogan agrees that better technology could’ve made a world of difference, especially in developing a clear timeline for where Carol went that night. Detectives relied largely on witness accounts.

“It’s not like today’s day and age,” Brogan told syracuse.com. “If you were to go in that same area today, you’d be on camera a hundred times, with all the businesses that are there. That’s not so back in 1996.”

Police officials also recognize the killer could be dead by now.

“We’re doing everything that we can, following every lead that comes in,” Hebert said. “Ideally, we would be able to find the person before they pass. And hold them accountable for their actions.”

Carol Ryan’s cold case: Horrific Syracuse murder remains unsolved 26 years later​

One of the most cruel and disturbing crimes in Onondaga County history took place on this day, 26 years ago.

When a fisherman found Carol Ryan naked and severely wounded on Sept. 1, 1996, he thought she had been shot.

She was hanging on to life in the driveway of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency, across the street from the Jamesville Reservoir.

The fisherman ran to a nearby security office to call 911, according to Post-Standard archives. He then returned to stay with Carol until the ambulance arrived. He repeatedly tried to ask her, “What happened to you?” She could not respond.

Carol was rushed to Upstate University Hospital and underwent emergency surgery, but her injuries were too traumatic.

Her murder remains unsolved, 26 years later.

Witnesses remember seeing Carol wearing a silver shirt, black jeans, black boots, silver jewelry, and a black suede leather jacket with fringe on the front.

Two of her rings were left at the scene. Her clothes, shoes and silver pendant were never found.

Detective Alexander Hebert took over as lead detective on Carol’s case in 2021, after a previous detective retired from the sheriff’s office. Hebert hadn’t heard of Carol’s case before it was assigned to him, and he found the details “gruesome.”

“How could anybody even fathom doing this to another human being?” Hebert told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard. “It definitely stays with me. There’s a heavy weight. There’s pressure from wanting to give closure for the family.”

After researching the case for over a year, Hebert said he believes the original detectives did a thorough job collecting evidence and conducting interviews. But limitations in technology, he said, worked against the sheriff’s office in 1996.

“I just wish the technology that we have now was available back then,” Hebert said. “You know, cell phones… now you have cell towers that you can use for these investigations. But then, that wasn’t a thing.”

Capt. Daniel Brogan currently heads up the Criminal Investigations Division for the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, and he worked as a detective with the team on Carol’s case back in 1996.

Brogan agrees that better technology could’ve made a world of difference, especially in developing a clear timeline for where Carol went that night. Detectives relied largely on witness accounts.

“It’s not like today’s day and age,” Brogan told syracuse.com. “If you were to go in that same area today, you’d be on camera a hundred times, with all the businesses that are there. That’s not so back in 1996.”

Police officials also recognize the killer could be dead by now.

“We’re doing everything that we can, following every lead that comes in,” Hebert said. “Ideally, we would be able to find the person before they pass. And hold them accountable for their actions.”
I remember this case. It has stuck with me because of the horrific way she died. And I have never heard of an explosive device used in such a horrific, Disgusting way to kill someone. To me, It seems they may have missed their window of opportunity. I still feel that she knew them or did go willingly with them from one of the places she enjoyed going to. But the one restaurant is changed, And the bar demolished. I think that possibly that was done to her in anger because she did not want to engage in sex. And that made the person angry. But who carries around an explosive device?. Someone had to have seen her. But they want to go back to 1996 now?. I hope they do have some evidence they can test. I don't think witness statements are going to be much of an option at this point. It's been too long for justice already, And I hope they can give it to her.

ZC98sPh.jpg

Carol Ryan was last seen on September 1, 1996 leaving East Room Bar off of James Street at approximately 2 a.m. Several hours later she was found seriously injured and left to die on Route 91 in Jamesville, NY. Carol was taken to the hospital where she died from her injuries after five hours of surgery.

Authorities stated that Carol had been brutally beaten and somebody had inserted an explosive device into her vagina. No one was been charged in this case.
I can't imagine the terror this woman felt. And to linger for hours after her injuries. There are few words to express it.

Carol Ryan’s murder still unsolved after 27 years; hope hinges on new DNA technology​

One of Central New York’s most disturbing crimes took place on this day 27 years ago.

Carol Ryan, 42, was found naked and severely wounded on Sept. 1, 1996 by a local fisherman in the driveway of the Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency in Jamesville, across the street from the reservoir.

Her murder remains unsolved.

However, police have investigated several persons of interest in this case, former and current Onondaga County sheriffs told syracuse.com. Some have died. But at least one main suspect is still alive. He is living outside of New York state.

A batch of long-stored evidence could still yield results with advancements in forensic technology. Investigators have resubmitted samples to the Onondaga County Center for Forensic Sciences in hopes of finding a DNA match.

Carol’s case is one of a handful of unsolved homicides in the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office. Sheriff Kevin Walsh led the department when it happened in 1996.

The case remained cold throughout the tenures of three different sheriffs in Onondaga County: Kevin Walsh, Eugene Conway and Toby Shelley. They all still believe this case can be solved.

“The sheriff’s office hasn’t forgotten this case by any means,” Sheriff Shelley told syracuse.com. “It’s an extensive case to review. To leave a person on the side of the road in the condition she was in... Who does that? What type of mind does that?”

Detectives chased down hundreds of tips and conducted multiple interviews with the same leads, to fact-check statements and narrow down persons of interest.

A few hot leads early in the investigation were eventually ruled out.

“There’s still hope with it,” Shelley said. “Part of the challenge is what little bit of DNA can be tested might be a one shot deal for testing.”

Shelley plans to launch a new cold case unit in the sheriff’s office this fall to focus on cases like Carol’s.

“This one has solvability still,” Shelley said. “If that killer’s still alive, it sure would bring satisfaction to bring them to justice. If I knew who did this, I’d go out and put cuffs on ‘em.”

“We’re doing everything that we can, following every lead that comes in,” Hebert told syracuse.com. “It really comes down to the science behind physical evidence left on scene.”

Last summer, Hebert resubmitted a pack of evidence and DNA samples from Carol’s case to the Onondaga County Center for Forensic Sciences.

“I definitely think there’s a potential suspect that will eventually be brought to justice when this testing hopefully gets done,” Hebert said. “Ideally, we would be able to find the person before they pass, and hold them accountable for their actions.”

Shelley said the pack included fingernails and other evidence. No matches have been found, as of mid-August 2023.

But Hebert says the DNA retesting has not been completed.

This case definitely sticks in my mind. I've never heard of this being done to someone. Just absolutely horrific. I hope they do catch the sicko(s). Just evil POS(S)!!! I'm glad to see they do have at least one suspect. I would like to know the story. Personal?. Seems like it. Someone has an explosive device on them?. That seems very premeditated.

Sneak peek: ‘Firecracker’ podcast investigates Carol Ryan’s vicious unsolved murder in Syracuse​

A new investigative true crime podcast from Syracuse.com will tell the story of one of Central New’s York’s most disturbing murders like it’s never been told before.

“Firecracker” is a deep dive into a horrific 27-year-old crime. In 1996, Carol Ryan was brutally attacked in a Syracuse suburb. She was beaten, raped with an explosive device, and left for dead in the driveway to a compost site in Jamesville, N.Y.

The “Firecracker” podcast will launch on Monday, Nov. 13 on Wondery+. Syracuse.com is proud to partner with Wondery to debut Carol’s story for a national audience.

Journalist Katrina Tulloch takes listeners through the chilling story with new information and analysis gleaned from interviews with over 30 sources. Some had never spoken publicly about this case before.

Tulloch follows the saga of Carol Ryan’s last night alive, interviews legal and forensic experts, and tracks down several persons of interest in Carol’s unsolved murder.

The story begins with Carol’s relatively normal upbringing in a tiny Oswego County town, to the early pregnancy that cut short her high school years. Her beloved son became her best friend and her priorities shifted strongly toward her family, until abusive relationships and the death of her mother sent her tailspinning toward tragedy.

Now, there’s a five-drawer filing cabinet in the Onondaga County Sheriff’s office, stuffed with hundreds of documents about Carol’s grisly murder.

Who killed Carol Ryan? Detectives chased hundreds of leads trying to solve this horrific cold case in Central New York. Was it Carol’s ex-boyfriend? Her ex-husband? A total stranger?

IMO. Calling the podcast "Firecracker" Is very disrespectful. I have been horrified by what was done to her. I've never heard of anything like it. To me, It seems very personal and planned. Who carries around explosives?.

IMO. Calling the podcast "Firecracker" Is very disrespectful. I have been horrified by what was done to her. I've never heard of anything like it. To me, It seems very personal and planned. Who carries around explosives?.
I was a bit taken aback by the name too. Seems pretty insensitive.

They're really going all in on these puns related to her murder. Gross.
Anyway, first episode is available now.

An ‘explosion of hate’ killed Carol Ryan and no one knows why (Firecracker, ep. 1)​

Syracuse true crime podcast on Carol Ryan cold case surpasses 100,000 downloads​

“Firecracker,” Syracuse.com’s investigative true crime podcast about the horrific murder of Carol Ryan, has attracted thousands of listeners since its debut on Nov. 13.

A mix of investigative journalism and true crime storytelling, the podcast digs into a horrific decades-old crime. In 1996, Syracuse resident Carol Ryan was murdered in a cruel, disturbing way. Someone detonated an explosive device inside of her and left her for dead in Jamesville. Police never made an arrest.

Within days of its launch, the podcast broke the Top 100 on the Apple Podcasts Charts. With over 100,000 downloads to date, the show peaked at No. 78 for top podcasts and No. 21 for true crime a week after its debut. “Firecracker” also hit No. 10 on Apple Podcasts for true crime in New Zealand and No. 8 in Australia, according to Chartable’s global trending charts.

If you have any information about Carol Ryan’s case, contact the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office at 315-435-3051. To submit an anonymous tip, text TIPONON and your tip to 847411.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back