BREAKING! BREAKING NEWS! IDENTIFIED! *General Information*

B-10 Jane Doe from 1984 has been identified as Wendy Stephens.

1611586119359.png

"36 years later, thanks to help from the nonprofit the DNA Doe Project, and King County forensic anthropologist, Kathy Taylor-using genetic genealogy- she’s finally been identified. She is no longer Bones 10, she is 14-year-old Wendy Stephens."

"Wendy Stephens was just 14 years old when she ran away from home in Colorado and a short time later, was murdered by one of the most infamous serial killers in Seattle, a city she had no ties to.
"It was kind of frightening that we had this identification and we don’t have this record of her having ever been here. There’s a lot of answers that I’d like to have.""

Wendy Stephens' thread:

Attachments

• wendystephens.png
    wendystephens.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 0
B-10 Jane Doe from 1984 has been identified as Wendy Stephens.

View attachment 9176

"36 years later, thanks to help from the nonprofit the DNA Doe Project, and King County forensic anthropologist, Kathy Taylor-using genetic genealogy- she’s finally been identified. She is no longer Bones 10, she is 14-year-old Wendy Stephens."

"Wendy Stephens was just 14 years old when she ran away from home in Colorado and a short time later, was murdered by one of the most infamous serial killers in Seattle, a city she had no ties to.
"It was kind of frightening that we had this identification and we don’t have this record of her having ever been here. There’s a lot of answers that I’d like to have.""

Wendy Stephens' thread:
Wow! She must’ve hitchhiked over there, right? How horrible! Just 14 years old!

Brenda Kerber was found more than 30 years after she went missing in September of 1989.

The White Plains mother's remains were found in a station wagon pulled from the Muscoot Reservoir in Somers on Jan. 19. Kerber is believed to have died in a suicide by drowning, White Plains police said Thursday.

Police said they determined it was a suicide based on "a review of the evidence in the case and the recent findings from the vehicle, along with the ME's exam." No other information was immediately available.

Brenda Kerber was found more than 30 years after she went missing in September of 1989.

The White Plains mother's remains were found in a station wagon pulled from the Muscoot Reservoir in Somers on Jan. 19. Kerber is believed to have died in a suicide by drowning, White Plains police said Thursday.

Police said they determined it was a suicide based on "a review of the evidence in the case and the recent findings from the vehicle, along with the ME's exam." No other information was immediately available.

What am I missing?. What does this have to do with Wendy Stephens?. No disrespect. I am assuming that it is me not connecting the dots.

PORTLAND, Ore. — After more than 40 years of questions, a set of human remains now has an identity, the Oregon State Police announced on Wednesday.

"The unidentified has been identified," authorities said in a Facebook post that detailed the cold case.

The skeletal remains of a man that were first discovered by hikers at the bottom of Multnomah Falls in September of 1979 have now been identified as that of Freeman Asher Jr.

Police say the relatives of Asher have been notified of the discovery and they are working on releasing his remains to their care.

More at link: Human remains identified after 42 years as Portland man

I remember this case from our prior forum before the crash, but can't find a thread on him on this planet. I'm sure happy to see another identification! oregon.jpg

I guess his family was still living in Portland and his sister got the DNA test that solved this case.

I submitted a match for this man once. Turned out to not be that person. But I am so thankful to see that he was identified!!!
I read the article and saw nothing relating to what happened. Is there any hint here of whether it was an accident or homicide?

So happy to see someone else unidentified named. They have certainly been a roll with many of these and I sure hope it continues!

View attachment 9567
DDP has made an identification in the case of Evangeline Parish Jane Doe. Our thanks to our volunteer researchers and our generous donors for making the resolution in this case possible. Our deepest condolences go out to Erica’s family. Read more about the case here: Evangeline Parish Jane Doe 2018 - DNA Doe Project Cases
I think she was reported missing, wasn’t she? Seems like before our website crash of 2020, we had her in the media gallery and I was tweeting her picture. She looks very familiar. I’m very thankful that she was identified and I send up prayers for her family.

I think she was reported missing, wasn’t she? Seems like before our website crash of 2020, we had her in the media gallery and I was tweeting her picture. She looks very familiar. I’m very thankful that she was identified and I send up prayers for her family.
Yes she was definitely reported missing. Right away, I think.
Sad that it took two years to identify her. Especially being only about 20 miles from where she disappeared.

This is different:

WELLFLEET (CBS) – The skeletal remains of at least six pirates were discovered at the site of a shipwreck that happened off Wellfleet in 1717.
An investigative team from the Whydah Pirate Museum announced the discovery on Wednesday.

Samuel “Black Sam” Bellamy was the captain of The Whydah.

The skeletons were identified in several large concretions, the museum said. The remains will now be examined by underwater explorer Barry Clifford, a team of archeologists, and other experts.

“We hope that modern, cutting-edge technology will help us identify these pirates and reunite them with any descendants who could be out there,” Clifford said.

More at link: Remains Of At Least 6 Pirates Found At Whydah Shipwreck Site Off Cape Cod

Valentine Sally from 1982 has been identified as Carolyn Eaton.

"Nearly 40 years after the northern Arizona discovery, an unidentified body that came to be known as "Valentine Sally" has been identified as a 17-year-old girl. (..) A grant allowed officials to complete a familial DNA search to try to locate relatives of "Valentine Sally," and it was discovered that the DNA matched members of a family in Missouri.

Detectives flew to the St. Louis-area family and interviewed them, learning that they had a sibling, 17-year-old Carolyn Eaton, who had run away from home around Christmas in 1981. The true identity of "Valentine Sally" is now confirmed to be that of the runaway teenager."

***There are many other links, but I can't access them since I'm located in Europe.***

Carolyn Eaton's thread:

Publicker Girl (a.k.a. Bensalem Jane Doe and Bucks County Jane Doe) from 1988 has been identified as Lisa Todd.

lisatodd.png

"Investigators were able to build out a family tree thanks to a genealogist and located two of Todd's family members in Philadelphia. They verified that Lisa Todd has disappeared in the fall of 1985, at the age of 17, and was never heard from or seen again.

Police say Todd, who had a 2-year-old, was reported missing to Philadelphia police in October of 1985 but was taken out of the National Crime Information Center on her 18th birthday.

Todd's death is considered suspicious and it remains under investigation.

"We're here today to give you a rundown of the case, but more importantly, the family is still alive and have many family members in the city of Philadelphia," said Fred Harran, Bensalem's Director of Public Safety. "We know that there is someone out there that has more information on this particular case and we want that person to come forward."

Harran says the department will not rest until they find out the exact cause of death and manner of death, and whoever may be responsible is brought to justice."

Pregnant woman in 1988 cold case identified by police as missing Philadelphia mother

The identification was a collaboration between Bode Technology and Othram Inc.:

"In 2020, Bensalem PD partnered with Bode Technology to explore advanced DNA testing methods. Bode Technology had to leverage propriety DNA extraction methods to work with the highly degrade skeletal evidence. The DNA extract developed at Bode Technology was then sent to Othram Inc. for further analysis. Othram used human enrichment paired with Forensic-Grade Genomic Sequencing® to produce a genealogical profile. While the DNA evidence was severely degraded due to the age of the case and the condition in which the remains were found, the Bode-Othram partnership produced a genealogical profile that enabled genealogy search. Genealogical research performed by Bensalem PD produced the leads necessary to confirm Lisa Todd’s identity."

Lisa Todd's thread:

Grace Doe from 1990 has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber.

"In Jan 2021 the Sheriff’s Office received information from Othram Inc. that there were candidate relatives identified for Grace Doe. These candidates were identified through genealogy research performed by Othram's in-house research team. Othram asked the Sheriff’s Office to contact candidate relatives and investigators made contact with Danielle Pixler who was on the genealogical tree developed by Othram. During the conversation, Ms. Pixler stated that she had a half-sister, Shawna Garber, that had been in foster care in Garnett, Kansas and then went back into state care. Danielle did not know what happened with Shawna after she left foster care. After Shawna left foster care, Danielle stated that she had been looking for Shawna for over 28 years. Danielle agreed to contribute a DNA sample and the Topeka Kansas Police Department agreed to take the swab and send it to Lt. Hall. The DNA sample was then forwarded to Othram for testing using a rapid familial test called KinSNP™. Grace has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber."

After 30 years, Grace Doe is Identified

Shawna Beth Garber's thread:

"In Jan 2021 the Sheriff’s Office received information from Othram Inc. that there were candidate relatives identified for Grace Doe. These candidates were identified through genealogy research performed by Othram's in-house research team. Othram asked the Sheriff’s Office to contact candidate relatives and investigators made contact with Danielle Pixler who was on the genealogical tree developed by Othram. During the conversation, Ms. Pixler stated that she had a half-sister, Shawna Garber, that had been in foster care in Garnett, Kansas and then went back into state care. Danielle did not know what happened with Shawna after she left foster care. After Shawna left foster care, Danielle stated that she had been looking for Shawna for over 28 years. Danielle agreed to contribute a DNA sample and the Topeka Kansas Police Department agreed to take the swab and send it to Lt. Hall. The DNA sample was then forwarded to Othram for testing using a rapid familial test called KinSNP™. Grace has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber."

I love it when you come in and give us news on the identified! :thankyou:

Fantastic that we now know who you were, Grace Doe! May your family find comfort bringing you home.

Wow! I had just mentioned this case not long ago about another doe in rural Missouri! I think of this one often. Now to find out what her connection to that very rural area is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back