Greece BEN NEEDHAM: Missing from Kos, Greece - 24 July 1991 - Age 21 months

Toddler, Ben Needham, went missing on the Greek island of Kos. His mother Kerry, from Sheffield, has always maintained he was abducted.

Media - http://crimewatchers.net/index.php?...s-greece-since-24-july-1991-age-21-months.91/

Last edited by a moderator:

Akoya

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2081894/b ... -cover-up/

'WHITEWASH' ON KOS
Ben Needham case ‘has all signs of a cover-up’ with sex slurs used to discredit toddler’s mum

Cops 'under pressure' to close case on tragic tot missing on Greek island for 25 years, probe found

BY CLARE BALDWIN

31st October 2016, 12:41 am

THE hunt for toddler Ben Needham – who went missing on the Greek island of Kos 25 years ago – has the signs of a cover-up, an investigation found.

Greek police were “under pressure” to end their probe quickly, reports The Mirror, and a witness apparently falsely claimed he had slept with Ben’s mum Kerry in an attempt to smear her.

A key witness account on the holiday island is said to be missing and a Greek official has dismissed the UK police theory that Ben was run over by a digger.

Despite a £1.1million police operation and two extensive digs, a toy car is all that’s been found.

Kerry, 43, said: “It infuriates me. It is just one big cover-up.”

South Yorkshire Police think 21-month-old Ben was crushed accidentally by digger driver Konstantinos “Dino” Barkas, who died last year, and his body hidden.

Det Insp Jon Cousins, who led the investigation, said: “It is my professional belief that Ben Needham died as a result of an accident near to the farmhouse in Iraklis where he was last seen playing.”

Another mystery is what happened to the account from an elderly woman whose home overlooked the farmhouse where Ben vanished.

She has since died.

The pensioner said she saw Ben’s uncle Stephen leaving the area alone on his scooter. Minutes later she watched Ben playing behind the building his grandfather was renovating.

Her evidence would have quashed false rumours that Ben could have died after falling from the back of Stephen’s scooter, says the Mirror.

And a retired cop, one of the first to join the hunt, admitted: “We were under pressure to close the case. Everyone wanted to find the child. We did our best.”

Dino’s family denies that he was involved. The case is “still open” and in the hands of local prosecutors.

Akoya

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... our-search

0Ben Needham mum sex smear revealed as new kidnap theory emerges

SHOCK new claims Ben Needham was kidnapped have emerged – as a witness admits trying to smear the missing toddler’s mum with false sex allegations.

A former Greek official who investigated Ben’s disappearance on the holiday island of Kos has revealed a witness reported seeing foreigners snatching the tot.

The official told the Mirror one of his friends saw two foreigners bundle the 21-month-old into a car with foreign number plates.

But the witness’s statement was never taken – and he has now died.

After a new three-week probe earlier this month, South Yorkshire Police ruled Greek digger driver Konstantinos “Dino” Barkas probably accidentally killed Ben and hid his body.

Dino’s family has denied the accusation – and threatened to sue Ben’s mum Kerry for saying Dino should “burn in hell”.

The Greek official also dismissed the British cops’ conclusion – and theories that Ben was kidnapped by the Mafia or gypsies persist on the island.

The official told the Mirror: “[My friend] told me he’d seen a car with number plates from abroad.

“It had two people in the car and they were not Greek people.

“The witness said the child was playing outside and someone stepped out of the car and took him.

“My friend does not lie. I went back but once he knew the child was still missing he didn’t want to speak.

“He said ‘Don’t ask me more, I’m scared.’”

Sick false rumours Ben’s family was involved in his disappearance still thrive on the island.

Public opinion reportedly turned against Kerry after a hotel worker claimed he had sex with her on the night Ben went missing.

In reality, the then-unmarried 43-year-old mum was out looking for her son – but the witness has waited 25 years to admit he was lying.

He claimed to have been bullied into it.

A retired Greek policeman admitted the force was “under pressure to close the case” when they took the witness’s statement.

Ben’s case is still officially open and in the hands of local prosecutors.

Akoya

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-12/ben- ... ed-to-him/

Ben Needham family insists: 'People do know what happened to him'

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Ben's mother, Kerry, said: "We know for a fact that there are people on Kos that know what happened to Ben that day". She added that witness statements given to South Yorkshire Police had backed up that belief.

"We have been assured by South Yorkshire Police that people do know. They do know. But they've lied", Ms Needham said. Ben's mother, grandmother Christine and sister Leigh-Anna called for more pressure to be put onto the Greek authorities to help with the investigation.

His family accept that Ben is likely dead, although the official police investigation remains open. Christine Needham said it was now about bringing home Ben's body.

"He deserves that. We're not asking for very much... It's time that somebody just gave us a bit of respect", she said. Last month, Leigh-Anna Needham told GMB that the family remains hopeful of finding Ben.

"We've been stuck in limbo for 25 years. I don't think my grandparents can take much more of this", she said. "It's absolutely destroyed my family and now I'm even more determined to find out what happened on that day".

Akoya

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... ek-9661619

Ben Needham's grandfather urges Greek authorities to launch fresh search for missing grandson

Eddie Needham, 68, has appealed for anyone with information to come forward as the family is desperate to get Ben home

BY LUCY THORNTON 18:00, 20 JAN 2017

The grandfather of missing Ben Needham has urged the Greek authorities to conduct a fresh search for his grandson.

Eddie Needham, 68, has appealed for anyone with information to come forward as the family is desperate to get Ben home.

Ben was 21 months old when he vanished in July 1991 after being taken to a remote farmhouse on the Greek island of Kos where Eddie was carrying out renovations.

Last year British detectives travelled to Kos to conduct a fresh search for Ben after being given Konstantinos Barkas’s name, following a fresh appeal on Greek TV.

It was claimed the digger driver, who died in 2015, had accidentally killed Ben on the day the 21-month-old went missing in July 1991 before burying his body.

The information led to excavations on the island, which failed to uncover a body but led to the discovery of a toy car he was playing with on the day he vanished.

South Yorkshire Police returned from Kos saying it was their “professional belief” Ben had been killed.

Eddie said: “I believe the Greek authorities should keep searching for Ben in Kos and get permission from Athens to do that.

“It is a Greek lead investigation and someone on the island knows what happened. The family is in limbo until we have an answer to where Ben is.”

But the digger driver’s son went on Greek TV recently to insist again, there is “no evidence” his father killed the toddler and covered it up.

In his first television interview with Greek media Valantis Barkas also claimed South Yorkshire Police had apologised for the “trouble” his family had been put through after the allegations about his father, Konstantinos, became public.

Speaking to Athens-based programme Tatiana Live Valantis Barkas denied his father had anything to do with it.

“We wonder who made this story up. He was very careful while working and never ever caused an accident No one ever blamed him on Ben’s case.

“He was only accused after he die, so he couldn’t defend himself. It’s so unfair for him and my family. There’s no proof and no one believes it.

“I have a child I can understand her pain, my father would never do that, he was an honest man.”

He said the family had received threats after his father was connected with the case.

He said: “The police officer in charge of the investigation in Kos came to me and apologised for all the trouble my family went through.

“I told him he can’t just fix all this damage with an apology. I want to help but they shouldn’t have given out my dead father’s name.”

But Detective Inspector Jon Cousins, the Lead Investigator in Operation Ben, said “During the course of our enquiries, we have managed to close off a large number of theories about what happened to Ben, many of which have been open for more than 20 years and get to the facts as to what happened that day.

“The investigation allowed myself and the team to thoroughly review, analyse and scrutinise each piece of information we were able to gather, and were given access to.

“Based on those facts and the information I have to date, it is still my professional belief that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse involving heavy machinery.

“The fact that we did not have a direct result during the most recent visit to Kos, does not preclude the facts that we know to be true.

“Primacy for the investigation lies with the Greek authorities and South Yorkshire Police remain committed to assisting them in any ongoing enquiries they may have.”

Ben’s sister, Leighanna, said the family had ‘no closure’ without physical evidence of Ben’s whereabouts.

She backed South Yorkshire Police’s theory but said she had sympathy for the digger driver’s family too.

Akoya

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2017-0 ... n-needham/

Ben Needham's mum fears human blood found on evidence 'proves' tot's body was MOVED

She told the Mirror: “This confirms everything the police have suspected. It makes it all a little too real. We believe what they believe.

“It shows more of a conspiracy because they didn’t find Ben’s body. That proves it to me without doubt they obviously moved him and buried him and for whatever reason dug him up. There’s no other explanation. It’s all been a massive cover-up.” She added: “This confirms what the police have been saying all along. My Ben was killed in an accident. But it also suggests that not only did they kill my boy and bury him where the toy car was found, they then moved him before police got to the site last October. What kind of human being does that? It just infuriates me. How can they do such a thing? He was definitely wearing those sandals that day. They were the only ones we could keep on his feet. “And we’re 99.9% sure that car was Ben’s. He was playing with them that day. You can sort of forgive an accident in time but when somebody takes that further and starts picking up a dead child and moving his remains again.

“It’s monstrous behaviour. God know’s where he is. He could be in the bottom of the Aegean sea for all I know. It’s really sick.”

Akoya

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-40684276

New article about Ben Needham, apparently they found signs of blood on items recovered by police during the search.

South Yorkshire Police said forensic work was being carried out in Aberdeen to try to extract DNA from the items.

Det Insp Jon Cousins said the development "corroborates and strengthens" the theory Ben died in an accident near to where he disappeared. Professor Lorna Dawson, head of the soil forensics group, said the team of scientists had discovered the "chemical finger print" of compounds left behind "when there has been decomposition or decay".

"There's a strong indication from this chemical profile that this was present on those items as a result of blood decomposition," she said.

"It's significant in identifying that there had been a human who had bled in contact with those items.

"The biologist has to come in now and identify who left that blood on that item by extracting the DNA."

Akoya

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-40684276

Ben Needham: Blood found on sandal and inside toy car
24 July 2017

Signs of blood have been found on part of a sandal and on soil inside a toy car recovered by police searching for missing Sheffield toddler Ben Needham.
Ben was 21 months old when he disappeared on the Greek island of Kos in July 1991.
South Yorkshire Police said forensic work was being carried out in Aberdeen to try to extract DNA from the items.
Det Insp Jon Cousins said it was still his "professional belief" Ben died in an accident at the farmhouse.
Live updates and more stories from Yorkshire
Details of the findings have been released on the 26th anniversary of Ben's disappearance.
Image caption
The car found in Kos is thought to be similar to this one
Image caption
Ben was last seen playing near to a farmhouse his grandfather was renovating
Ben went missing while playing near a farmhouse, which was being renovated by his grandfather in Iraklis.
An extensive 21-day search of land around the building and a second site 750m (820 yards) away took place in October after it emerged the toddler may have been crushed to death by a digger working on the site.
About 60 items discovered during the search were brought back to the UK for analysis, some of which were sent for testing at the James Hutton Institute in Aberdeen.
Image caption
South Yorkshire Police were assisted by members of the Hellenic Rescue Team and Red Cross
Image caption
The search of the two sites was carried out over 21 days in October
Professor Lorna Dawson, head of the soil forensics group, said the team of scientists had discovered the "profile indicative of human blood decomposition on a fragment of a sandal."
The profile had also been found on soil from inside a toy car, however, the stronger signal had been found on the footwear sandal, she said.
Professor Dawson said the discovery was the "chemical finger print" of compounds left behind "when there has been decomposition or decay".
"There's a strong indication from this chemical profile that this was present on those items as a result of blood decomposition," she said.
"It's significant in identifying that there had been a human who had bled in contact with those items.
"The biologist has to come in now and identify who left that blood on that item by extracting the DNA."
Image caption
Professor Lorna Dawson was part of the team responsible for analysing the items
Det Insp Cousins said: "Based on the facts and the information obtained, as previously stated it is still my professional belief that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse involving heavy machinery.
"It's my belief that [the findings] corroborate and strengthen that theory."
The Needham family has been informed and the force would continue to assist the Greek authorities with any ongoing enquiries, South Yorkshire Police said.

Akoya

Nov 30, 2018#211
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... m-13664149

The DNA test for the blood that was found on the toy car found in the excavation site for Ben Needham has come back.

The DNA does not belong to Ben.

Detective Chief Insp Jon Cousins, said: “Despite this forensic examination and result, it is still my professional belief based on all the evidence that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse in Kos involving heavy machinery. “We will continue to support Ben’s family and the Greek authorities, who retain primacy, should any further information come to light.”

It appears Detective Jon Cousins isn't keen on doing much of an investigation for Ben.

Akoya

The DNA test for the blood that was found on the toy car found in the excavation site for Ben Needham has come back.

The DNA does not belong to Ben.

Akoya

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... m-13664149

Missing toddler Ben Needham's mum dealt devastating blow with new DNA results

Kerry Needham, whose son went missing on the Greek island of Kos 27 years ago, hoped blood found in a toy car may have finally given her answers about what happened

The mum of missing British toddler Ben Needham has been told DNA found on a toy car does not belong to her missing son.
Shattered Kerry Needham, 44, said: “Our 27 tears of slow torture goes on. It’s endless heartache and torment.”
p:nth-of-type(2)","sizes":[[8,8]],"hideOnSensitiveArticle":true,"relativePos":"after","additionalClass":"in-article","name":"div-gpt-ad-vip-slot","type":"VIP"}" data-gpt-placeholder="" data-response-start="196469.00000004098" data-type="gpt" data-requested="454056.30000005476" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; overflow: hidden; z-index: 1; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; height: 8px; max-height: 8px;">

Forensic experts in Oxford told Kerry in September they had found a weak DNA profile from decomposed blood inside the car, which police discovered on Greek island Kos where 21-month-old Ben went missing.
She was asked to provide a new DNA sample – only to be told two months later it was not Ben’s.
Reacting to the result, Kerry said: “If that blood is not Ben’s – then who does it belong to? It’s devastating. We had built ourselves up thinking it would be a positive result and would prove Ben had died.

“It would have given us closure and we would have been able to start the grieving process.
p:nth-of-type(6)","type":"performPlaceholder","relativePos":"after"}" data-placeholder-placeholder="" data-response-start="196470.8999999566" data-type="placeholder" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">
“When it came back negative it was a shock. I don’t know what to think now. Is Ben dead or is he still alive?”
She added: “I’m angry and I can’t stop shaking my head.
“Some people on Kos have been lying for 27 years and we’ve suffered years of torture, slow torture.”
The toy car was found in 2016 after an elderly witness approached British police on Kos and told them a digger driver called Konstantinos Barkas was behind Ben’s death.
Barkas, also known as Dino, died from stomach cancer the previous year having apparently confessed on his death bed.

The witness said the day after Ben went missing, Dino had told him “it’s possible” he could have killed the toddler in an accident with his digger.
Dino allegedly said: “I thought I heard a yelp but I thought it could have been a dog.”
The toy car, thought to have been Ben’s, was found on a second dump site the witness led them to.
Barkas’ family say there is no evidence he had anything to do with Ben’s disappearance.
Since the find, it is believed the witness has stopped helping South Yorkshire Police with their inquiries.
Kerry, of Sheffield, said: “Now I want to know what the public prosecutor in Greece is going to do about it. I want them to get him back in and get to the bottom of it. Was he lying? Was it just a smoke screen?”

She urged the Home Office to provide South Yorkshire Police with more funding for its hunt.
Ben went missing on July 24, 1991 and his family have spent decades searching for him.
In 2012 the force carried out a first dig on the island funded by the Home Office which was unsuccessful.
The 2016 dig yielded scraps of leather and the toy car, which was found a mile away from the farmhouse where Ben went missing.

It was on wasteland where Dino used to dump his building rubble.
Detective Chief Insp Jon Cousins, said: “Despite this forensic examination and result, it is still my professional belief based on all the evidence that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse in Kos involving heavy machinery.
“We will continue to support Ben’s family and the Greek authorities, who retain primacy, should any further information come to light.”

Akoya

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sou ... e-46400497

Missing Ben Needham: Blood on toy car 'not a match'
30 November 2018

Traces of blood on a toy car found amid the search for Ben Needham did not match his DNA, police said.
The missing toddler was 21 months old when he disappeared on the Greek island of Kos in July 1991.
South Yorkshire Police said forensic examinations of the toy, which was recovered from the island, showed no match to Ben or members of his family.
Det Insp Jon Cousins said it was still his "professional belief" Ben died in an accident at a farmhouse.
Live updates and more stories from Yorkshire
When the toy car was discovered in 2016, Ben's family, from Sheffield, said they believed it could have been his.
South Yorkshire Police said that "detailed forensic work" had since been carried out over several months on items brought back from Kos.
Ben went missing while playing near a farmhouse which was being renovated by his grandfather in Iraklis.
An 21-day search of land around the building and a second site 750m (820 yards) away took place in October 2016 after it emerged the toddler may have been crushed to death by a digger working on the site.
  • Blood found on sandal in Needham hunt
  • What police think happened to Ben Needham
  • The mystery of the Milk Carton Kids
About 60 items discovered during the search were brought back to the UK, some of which were sent for testing at the James Hutton Institute in Aberdeen.
South Yorkshire Police said Ben's family had been told there was no DNA match but that officers would "consider any opportunity to continue the examination of all the items recovered".
Despite the forensic results, Det Ch Insp Cousins said, it was his view that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident "involving heavy machinery" at the farmhouse.

Akoya

Mum of missing child Ben Needham fears he was dumped in oil drum in Greece
April 2019

The mum of missing toddler Ben Needham, who vanished 28 years ago, fears his body was hidden in an oil drum after he was killed.

Kerry Needham recently met detectives who believe 21-month-old Ben died in a horror digger accident on the Greek island of Kos, in 1991.

South Yorkshire police found oil drums near the farmhouse where he was last seen.

A toy car like Ben’s was also unearthed on land used by digger driver Dino Barkas. No DNA was recovered.

The mum of missing toddler Ben Needham, who vanished 28 years ago, fears his body was hidden in an oil drum after he was killed.

Kerry Needham recently met detectives who believe 21-month-old Ben died in a horror digger accident on the Greek island of Kos, in 1991.

South Yorkshire police found oil drums near the farmhouse where he was last seen.

A toy car like Ben’s was also unearthed on land used by digger driver Dino Barkas. No DNA was recovered.

Dino apparently made a deathbed confession in 2015, but Kerry says she is terrified a “conspiracy of silence” will stop the whole story coming out.

“We deserve to know the truth,” she said. “We need justice.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... m-14249680

Akoya

Dec 20, 2019#217
Ben Needham's mum lights candle to mark missing son's 30th birthday

Kerry Needham should be watching her son Ben blow out his 30th birthday candles, but instead she's lighting one is his memory .

Ben , who was 21 months old when he went missing in Kos, would have turned 30 this week and mum Kerry said she's still desperately searching for answers as to what happened to her boy.

Furious Kerry says the Greek police should be “ashamed” they are not helping find him, reports the Mirror .

She has accused them of “ignoring” a file handed over by British police who believe toddler Ben died in a horror digger accident and his body hidden.

Kerry wants prosecutors on the island of Kos to quiz a crucial witness who told British police about a possible accident but is now refusing to talk.

Kerry said: “I should have been planning a big party for Ben’s milestone birthday this week and blowing out candles. Instead I was lighting one in his memory.

“I’m ashamed of the Greek police. They are not doing their job. Any decent human being would want to find my son for me and to give closure to me and closure to the island.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-w ... e-20763268

Whatsnext

Justice for Gannon 💙

Detectives from the South Yorkshire force formally ended a three-week search of Kos on Sunday afternoon.
At a press conference today they revealed they had discovered an item thought to have been with the youngster at the time of his disappearance on July 24 1991.
The search operation was prompted by information that a digger driver may have been responsible for the Sheffield boy's death, as he was clearing land with an excavator near where Ben was playing on the day he vanished.

GrandmaBear

‘We Have Nothing to Fear Except Fear Itself'

Detectives from the South Yorkshire force formally ended a three-week search of Kos on Sunday afternoon.
At a press conference today they revealed they had discovered an item thought to have been with the youngster at the time of his disappearance on July 24 1991.
The search operation was prompted by information that a digger driver may have been responsible for the Sheffield boy's death, as he was clearing land with an excavator near where Ben was playing on the day he vanished.
Hmm. I know there have been lots of stories floated here and there and hints of cover-ups and more and a lot of sensationalism. I often in cases wonder myself but in this case I tend to feel like the most likely scenario was an accident. I am not accusing the man at all, it just seems the most likely. This child did apparently get out of the house and at 21 months old, not even two, I can picture a child that age going straight for what they notice, in this case, this digger... They generally have little awareness of danger at that age, traffic, etc. It in no way means the operator should have expected or noticed him and he may have come up behind or anywhere...?

I guess it is always possible it is a kidnapping, or trafficking but unless this family really brought notice on themselves, it really did not sound as if many would be aware even they would be out there that day, etc. and who could ever know for sure the boy would get out of the sight of those there to keep track of him? It just seems unlikely...

All that said, I don't like some of the comments like that they were pressured to close the case and some of the things that occurred in this case as it does make things questionable. I am no way 100 percent but it does seem the most likely scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindyvaughn71