IA XAVIOR HARRELSON: Missing from Poweshiek County, IA - 27 May 2021 - Age 10 *Found Deceased*

1622260309530.png

Authorities searching for 10-year-old boy who disappeared in Poweshiek County​

Authorities are searching for a 10-year-old boy who went missing from a mobile home park in Poweshiek County on Thursday morning.

Xavior Harrelson was last seen around 11 a.m. Thursday in Montezuma, according to the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office.

He was last seen wearing a red T-shirt, blue pajama pants and black high-top shoes. He has brown hair and blue eyes and is about 4 feet, 8 inches tall and weighs 100 pounds.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation joined the investigation Friday.

Xavior left his home in the Spruce Village Mobile Home Park and has not been seen since, Assistant DCI Director Mitch Mortvedt said. The boy’s mother believed Xavior had gone out to play with friends, he said.

“Obviously, we’re very concerned,” Mortvedt said. “This is a young boy — he’s only 10 years old — and he’s been missing for more than 24 hours.”

The mobile home park is in northwest Montezuma, less than half a mile from Diamond Lake County Park, which Mortvedt described as a “vast wooded area.”

Mortvedt said it’s unknown if there is any criminal aspect to the boy’s disappearance, “but we are treating it like there is and deploying as many resources as we can to find him.”

“Right now, we are double- and triple-checking his friends’ houses and the places he is known to hang out. We are canvassing the immediate areas and knocking on doors and talking to people, and we’ll expand the search from there if we need to,” he said.

MEDIA - XAVIOR HARRELSON: Missing from Poweshiek County, IA since 27 May 2021 - Age 10

Last edited:

Xavior Harrelson still missing, one week after vanishing from Spruce Village trailer park in Montezuma​

A boy who vanished from a rural Iowa trailer park days before his 11th birthday is still missing a week later, as state and federal investigators continued Thursday to look into what happened to him.

Detectives are considering several possibilities in the disappearance of Xavior Harrelson, including that he was abducted, that he suffered some kind of accident or that he ran away, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation assistant director Mitch Mortvedt said.

“Every moment that goes by, it’s obviously more and more suspicious, and concerning,” he said. “It’s so, so sad. It’s heart-wrenching.”

Mortvedt said that Xavior’s family, including his mother and his father who lives in another Iowa city, have been cooperative. He said police do not have any suspects or persons of interest.

Former FBI agent provides insight on elements of Xavior Harrelson's case​

"Eleven years of age, a child away from home for that period of time is dangerous no matter what," said Michael Tabman, a retired FBI agent.

"Time is not your friend," Tabman said. "So with each passing moment, there's just one more chance that this person falling into danger."

He said it means less of a chance of finding key physical evidence like a footprint or someone remembering a key detail.

Tabman said in this case information neighbors have shared with KCCI raises some alarms. Primarily reports of fighting preceding Xavior's disappearance and the fact a friend reported him missing instead of his mother.

"That's very troubling, very disturbing," Tabman said. "And unfortunately, I don't have an optimistic outlook for how this is going to end."

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation have set up a digital media tip line in their effort to find Xavior Harrelson, the 11-year-old who was reported missing from his northwest Montezuma home on May 27.

Anyone who might have digital information regarding Harrelson's disappearance can submit tips, such as videos or pictures, at http://fbi.gov/findxavior.

Some people in Montezuma want more done to find Xavior Harrelson​

Mitch Mortvedt with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation tells me they don’t have a news conference scheduled anytime soon. He says the investigation is still ongoing, and they will continue to have a presence.

The Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office has set up a phone line for those tips. The number is: 641-623-2107.

Search continues in Iowa for Xavior Harrelson​

The town of Montezuma, Iowa is trying to keep attention on the search for 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson.

The boy has been missing for more than a week - and there are few clues left as to what happened.

Authorities still in need of tips, video evidence in search for Xavior Harrelson​

Authorities say they have received “some leads” in their search for missing 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson, but there is nothing else to update.

$15,000 reward offered for information that leads to Xavior Harrelson​

The Poweshiek County sheriff announced Wednesday that roughly $15,000 and counting has been pledged as a reward for information that helps investigators find out what happened to a missing Iowa boy.

The Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office said the pledges have come from local businesses and citizens who are concerned about the disappearance of Xavior Harrelson.

The reward fund has been created at Montezuma State Bank. The sheriff’s office said the money would be paid out for “information which leads to resolution of this case.”

Xavior Harrelson has been missing for 2 weeks. Investigators say case still is moving forward​

In the two weeks since Xavior Harrelson vanished from a Montezuma mobile home park just before his 11th birthday, hundreds of volunteers have searched for him, authorities have checked in with known criminals in the area and the FBI has set up a digital tip line.

So far, no definitive evidence has emerged to clarify whether Xavior ran away, became lost or was abducted.

“Every day that goes by — every moment that goes by — we are more and more suspicious,” said Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. “We are obviously all very concerned and eager for answers.”

In the past two weeks, Mortvedt said, investigators have conducted dozens of searches, one involving more than 500 volunteers; interviewed to 100 or more people; and are running down and re-evaluating numerous tips and leads.

Investigators have also done background checks on everyone close to Xavior and those living in the vicinity, as well as looked into registered sex offenders in the area and those with criminal convictions. Mortvedt said that’s standard procedure in any missing persons case.

“The investigation is, still is moving forward,” he said. “Obviously, we're still asking for any and all information from the public. Kind of like we were in the Mollie Tibbetts investigation, we're going back through everything that we've done thus far, we're taking in new information, evaluating it and vetting it, and still trying to find Xavior.”

After Two Weeks, No Xavior Harrelson, And Questions Begin To Mount​

There’s an uneasiness in Montezuma about the disappearance of one of their own. 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson was last seen “on or about May 27th” in Montezuma.

Summer vacation in a small town means neighborhoods normally come to life, but without knowing if there is a danger to others yet, the community is guarded.

“Well, the community is suffering, honestly. It’s never easy when anyone goes missing, says Montezuma Mayor Jacki Bolen. “Everyone is very concerned and honestly just scared for him.”

When it comes to being able to tell the community that she feels the community is still safe at this point, Bolen said, “I don’t know. I feel like that is something that would have to come from Sheriff Kriegel, the DCI. I guess not hearing that, that, you know, we need to be on the lookout, I guess one can assume that we’re safe. But, you know, assumptions aren’t always a good thing.

A reward fund has been established that “may produce information that leads to the resolution of this case.”

Map shows flyer coverage of missing 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson
It's been 18 days since the disappearance of Xavior Harrelson, the search continues to stretch from Powesheik County to the entire state.

The 11-year-old was last seen leaving his home in Montezuma.

Since then, thousands of missing person flyers have been printed out for Xavior.

Organizer of Mollie's Movement and owner of Live Now Designs, Joy Vanlandschoot created a map of counties where flyers of Xavior have been seen.

As of Monday, 43 counties have coverage.

"The counties we haven't heard from yet, we wanted to make sure they were listening and they were getting flyers out for Xavior as well," said Vanlandschoot.

1623726439821.png

A reward fund to help fund missing 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson reached nearly $17,000.

Search for 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson continues almost 3 weeks after he disappeared​

To find Xavior Harrelson, Mortvedt said the DCI has been hyper-focusing on the town of Montezuma where Xavior was last seen, then working outward to other rural areas. This has included holding search parties with up to 150 law enforcement officers and nearly 400 volunteers.

After covering the entire Poweshiek County, the DCI is now using digital media as a tool.

DCI has recently launched a new missing person website with Xavior Harrelson displayed on the homepage.

Mortvedt says within the last few years social media has been a game changer in helping law enforcement find missing children.

“The awareness is a lot more immediate than it used to be and that plays a significant role,” Mortvedt said. “They can’t escape it. So that has been a huge benefit to law enforcement, and to victims as well obviously, that hopefully they are returned or let go, if you will, just because the attention is always there,” Mortvedt said.

Here is the latest news release I could find about Xavior it appears they still have very little information to go on and no new leads coming in. Something just doesn't sit right with me about this disappearance. Am I correct in my understanding that the mother didn't want to report her son missing and someone else stepped in and made the report? To me that is very strange, coupled with the neighbors reports of loud arguing coming from their home the night before he went missing, the neighbor who reported he was always outside in the morning hours playing and she never saw him on the morning he went missing and the fact that he usually rode his bike everywhere and it was left behind at the house it just doesn't make sense. If you're an 11 year old boy and your going to round up your friends to go play most likely your going to be riding that bike rather than walking at least I know that's how kids do things around here. I just don't know about this case, definitely one I will keep following up on.

Here is the latest news release I could find about Xavior it appears they still have very little information to go on and no new leads coming in. Something just doesn't sit right with me about this disappearance. Am I correct in my understanding that the mother didn't want to report her son missing and someone else stepped in and made the report? To me that is very strange, coupled with the neighbors reports of loud arguing coming from their home the night before he went missing, the neighbor who reported he was always outside in the morning hours playing and she never saw him on the morning he went missing and the fact that he usually rode his bike everywhere and it was left behind at the house it just doesn't make sense. If you're an 11 year old boy and your going to round up your friends to go play most likely your going to be riding that bike rather than walking at least I know that's how kids do things around here. I just don't know about this case, definitely one I will keep following up on.
Yeah. Here's another article with similar sentiments. (Actually, I think it's just the article that goes with the video you linked.)

You are correct that his mother was not the one to report him missing. The loud argument is concerning, though apparently not uncommon for their household. But a loud argument prior to a child disappearing is extra concerning. Could Xavior have become so upset he ran away? Possible, but again, why would he leave his bike? He was apparently seen riding it all the time. I was also hopeful, early on, that maybe he went playing/exploring and became lost and would be found. But again, his bike is at home. I don't want to think the worst, but it's been 3 weeks. :(

Not sure how I missed this one but then have not kept up real well the past few weeks. Just reading up on it.

Wow, Mollie Tibbetts territory. Not that I am saying there is any connection, there is none, just same area and LE probably.

Just seeing this and it is already weeks in, and they have not found him? That does not bode well.

It sounds like he had a routine of playing with friends in the neighborhood daily and it sounds like he had several friends, and neighbors knew him, making me feel he was well liked. It sounds like the arguing was somewhat the norm but all was fine until this occasion. Tough one to guess on then if it happened frequently but they seemed okay all other times. If I read everything and have it correct.

No opinion really other than what I usually think. This is an 11 year old, no indications of any issues like autism, and 11 year olds cannot live off the grid unless someone has them or hides them. No one is going to hide a child almost ever when people are looking for him and a case is started, not a neighbor or friend, etc. if it could get them in trouble. I guess it could be a stranger abduction but no one apparently saw him that morning after hearing arguing the evening before. Although somewhere in these pages I read the cops said he was seen that day or morning after but that was the only time I saw it in all the posts and there is no detail so I question that.

An 11 year old knows how to go home, knows his address etc. and again can't live off the grid.

Not accusing anyone but it seems to stay right in the trailer court/home. It sounds like nothing indicates otherwise in these weeks. No vehicle, suspect, camera sighting, etc. Bike at home. Neighbor said he never came to play with her daughter on that morning which sounded routine and everyone was used to seeing him out and about and on his bike.

One last question, this is not a toddler, did he have a cell phone so mom could reach him if he was outdoors playing in the park, etc.? I saw no mention whatsoever of a phone so maybe he just was taught to check in every so often with mom as to his whereabouts.

Just thoughts on a first read.

Yeah. Here's another article with similar sentiments. (Actually, I think it's just the article that goes with the video you linked.)

You are correct that his mother was not the one to report him missing. The loud argument is concerning, though apparently not uncommon for their household. But a loud argument prior to a child disappearing is extra concerning. Could Xavior have become so upset he ran away? Possible, but again, why would he leave his bike? He was apparently seen riding it all the time. I was also hopeful, early on, that maybe he went playing/exploring and became lost and would be found. But again, his bike is at home. I don't want to think the worst, but it's been 3 weeks. :(

Let's add child disappears right after argument with mom AND mom doesn't want to report him missing. The same mom that supposedly depends on him for her care.

Let's add child disappears right after argument with mom AND mom doesn't want to report him missing. The same mom that supposedly depends on him for her care.
The part about it that is a strange caveat is that she has a prosthetic leg and supposedly dependent on her son to care for her. I Listened to Linda’s vlog about this case last night and I don’t know that the mom would be able to have the physical ability to commit a crime.

Do we know if it is below the knee or above? People with prosthetic legs actually do very well most of them I know or have known in either case. If the knee is saved, they do even better. Most can do just about anything that anyone else can do. However, he is not a small boy/toddler either.

If he took care of her, one would not think she would do anything to him if she needed him. If it is the case it would likely be she lost her temper then I would think. And to hide him would take some effort and she would need help if she is not mobile one would think...

Perhaps he was out and about but early so the neighbor did not see him and he was snatched or he did take off. But this number of weeks? Doesn't look good. And again why would he not take his bike...

Could he have called someone to come get him? No bike needed then. But that person would be "kidnapping" I imagine because he is a minor and I just don't think most people would be dumb enough to harbor a minor when such effort and $$ are going into searches, etc. Hadn't thought of this until now but I sure hope he was not connecting with some stranger on the internet.

Do we know if it is below the knee or above? People with prosthetic legs actually do very well most of them I know or have known in either case. If the knee is saved, they do even better. Most can do just about anything that anyone else can do. However, he is not a small boy/toddler either.

If he took care of her, one would not think she would do anything to him if she needed him. If it is the case it would likely be she lost her temper then I would think. And to hide him would take some effort and she would need help if she is not mobile one would think...

Perhaps he was out and about but early so the neighbor did not see him and he was snatched or he did take off. But this number of weeks? Doesn't look good. And again why would he not take his bike...

Could he have called someone to come get him? No bike needed then. But that person would be "kidnapping" I imagine because he is a minor and I just don't think most people would be dumb enough to harbor a minor when such effort and $$ are going into searches, etc. Hadn't thought of this until now but I sure hope he was not connecting with some stranger on the internet.
I wondered the same thing, but still. How would she be able to cover up a crime like that? Doesn't make sense to me. She would need help. Also, I think Linda said the mom has since left the trailer. Has anyone seen where LE has searched the dwelling?

I know of two different dudes that have prosthetics in construction that can work circles around most of the able bodied ones. One would probably never know they have them if for not wearing shorts in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back