Is the prosecution that incompetent???![]()
Luigi Mangione's hearing delayed a day after DA failed to tell jail he's needed in court
A hearing in Luigi Mangione ’s state murder case in the killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson was postponed until Wednesday after prosecutors failed to inform his jailors that he was needed in court.www.ctvnews.ca
Luigi Mangione's hearing delayed a day after DA failed to tell jail he's needed in court
A hearing in Luigi Mangione ’s state murder case in the killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson was postponed until Wednesday after prosecutors failed to inform his jailors that he was needed in court.
Judge Gregory Carro had scheduled the hearing for Tuesday but adjourned it about a half-hour after it was supposed to start when Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann told him that prosecutors had failed to send required paperwork to the jail.
“It’s on us,” Seidemann said. “We got the writ signed but we failed to serve it.”
“That’s unfortunate,” Carro replied.
Seidemann noted that the judge in Mangione’s federal case, Margaret Garnett, had sent an order to the jail authorizing him to wear a suit to court, but the prosecutor acknowledged that alone wasn’t enough to get him brought to court.
Mangione, 28, is being held at a federal jail in Brooklyn while awaiting trial in state and federal trials in the Dec. 4, 2024, killing. He has pleaded not guilty in both cases and could spend his life in prison if convicted in either case.
Carro had been expected to rule Tuesday on an unspecified matter after holding a secret hearing two weeks ago. Carro said he sealed the virtual proceeding at the request of the defense but provided no other details at the time.
Any ruling from Carro would now come on Wednesday.
Let's hope not.Is the prosecution that incompetent???
Well, they have already screwed up a few things that should be cut and dry. Seems they are going on confidence and not procedure and that can wreck a case fast. With the way it's going, he's bound to get off on a technicality.Let's hope not.
Well, they have already screwed up a few things that should be cut and dry. Seems they are going on confidence and not procedure and that can wreck a case fast. With the way it's going, he's bound to get off on a technicality.
and OJCasey Anthony ring a bell with anyone.
and OJ
I still think both of those cases had more to do with the sequestering for weeks with at least one hold out and they just wanted to go home.
Yep. Just like how is should have to all in the KR caseI have to admit that once Furman took the fifth on planting evidence, that would be close to reasonable doubt for me.
Yep. Just like how is should have to all in the KR case
I have no idea what was going on here. I don't think the psychiatric defense was going to work anyway, and it couldn't be used in the federal case. So I don't know why they did assert it and then withdrew? Perplexing for sure.
Spaghetti - wall. Evidently it didn't stick.I have no idea what was going on here. I don't think the psychiatric defense was going to work anyway, and it couldn't be used in the federal case. So I don't know why they did assert it and then withdrew? Perplexing for sure.
Spaghetti - wall. Evidently it didn't stick.
I was just coming in to post this news. You beat me to it!![]()
Luigi Mangione pleads guilty to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO
Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.apnews.com
Luigi Mangione pleads guilty to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO
Luigi Mangione pleaded guilty on Friday to federal stalking charges in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, admitting matter-of-factly that he trailed the executive to an investor conference in 2024 and gunned him down on a New York City street.
Mangione, 28, said he even used a ruse to glean information about the event, contacting the health insurance company ahead of time under the guise of being an investor at a multibillion-dollar firm.
“On the morning of Dec. 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died,” Mangione told the court. In the audience, Thompson’s wife, Paulette, took several deep breaths and repeatedly wiped tears from her eyes. A supporter put an arm around the wife and held her tight.
Prosecutors plan to seek a life prison term at Mangione’s sentencing, set for Dec. 18. When U.S. District Judge Margaret M. Garnett asked whether he understood that he could spend the rest of his life behind bars, Mangione answered neutrally: “Yes.”
Thompson’s family later called the plea “an important step toward justice” and noted that Mangione still faces other cases, including a New York state murder prosecution.
![]()
Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial postponed indefinitely as double jeopardy fight plays out
Judge Gregory Carro issued an order Monday canceling the trial and giving the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which is prosecuting the state case, until Oct. 9 to respond to the defense's double jeopardy claims.www.pbs.org
Luigi Mangione's state murder trial postponed indefinitely as double jeopardy fight plays out
Luigi Mangione's state murder trial in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, which was slated to begin Sept. 8, has been postponed indefinitely as his lawyers seek to have the case thrown out on double jeopardy grounds following his guilty plea last week to federal charges.
Judge Gregory Carro issued an order Monday canceling the trial and giving the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which is prosecuting the state case, until Oct. 9 to respond to the defense's double jeopardy claims. A hearing will be held on Dec. 10, Carro said, about a week before Mangione is scheduled to be sentenced in the federal case.
Mangione, 28, pleaded guilty Friday in Manhattan federal court to a pair of stalking charges and admitted trailing Thompson to UnitedHealth Group's investor conference and gunning him down outside a Manhattan hotel in 2024. Federal prosecutors said they would seek life in prison when Mangione is sentenced Dec. 18, though federal sentencing guidelines call for a term of 24 to 30 years.
Mangione has pleaded not guilty in the state case, which also carries the possibility of a life sentence.
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office said in a statement that it would fight efforts to end the state case, in part because Mangione's federal sentence isn't yet known.
Compared with federal law and that of other states, New York has uncommonly strong protections for defendants facing multiple prosecutions. A state prosecution can be barred if a federal case involving the same course of conduct or criminal transaction ends in a guilty plea or if a jury is sworn.
It will be up to Carro to decide if that applies to Mangione. However Carro rules, his decision will be subject to appeal.
Mangione pleaded guilty to federal charges that accused him of traveling across state lines by bus to stalk and kill Thompson and using means such as a cellphone, the internet, interstate highways and staying at a hostel that serves out-of-state customers while planning and carrying out the attack.
"The full range of conduct that comprises the stalking offense is coterminous with the conduct committed as part of the murder offense," Mangione's lawyers wrote in their double jeopardy filing.