CA SCOTT ECHOLS: Missing from Muscoy, CA - 27 July 1992 - Age 8

1607053124328.png

NCMEC: Have you seen this child?
NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Scott was only 8 years old when he was last seen on the morning of July 27th, 1992 and has not been seen or heard from since. Posters were distributed in the area and there were many leads, but he was never located. Scott is considered at risk as lost, injured, or otherwise missing. He was described as 5'1", 70 lbs, brown hair and brown eyes. He had a scar on his left lower lip. Dental records are not available because Scott had never been to a dentist. DNA is available (CODIS).

ANYONE WITH INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: Sheriff Homicide Detail (909) 387-3589 or WE TIP 1-800-78-CRIME (Anonymous)

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited by a moderator:

1585029307140.png 1585029314754.png
Scott, circa 1992; Age-progression to age 26 (circa 2009)

Missing Since: 07/26/1992
Missing From: Muscoy, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex: Male
Race: White
Date of Birth: 11/20/1983 (36)
Height and Weight: 4'3, 70 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A Los Angeles Dodgers t-shirt and acid-washed jeans.
Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Scott has a scar on the left side of his lower lip.

Details of Disappearance
Scott was last seen at his family's residence in Muscoy, California on July 26, 1992. He was asleep on the couch in the living room and his parents were asleep with his two siblings in the bedroom.

Someone knocked on the door at 2:30 a.m. and Scott went to answer it, and apparently rode his bicycle away from the residence afterwards. He never returned home and has not been seen again. His bicycle has never been located.

Neighbors told authorities that Scott smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol and stole bicycles in the vicinity at the time of his disappearance. The child's family denied the allegations.

Investigators did learn that Scott was on probation for setting fire to an abandoned building the year before he vanished. He was also known for panhandling around Muscoy. Scott's family reportedly lived in rather dire conditions in the city. His relatives passed polygraph tests and are not believed to be connected to his disappearance.

There are few clues available in Scott's case, which remains unsolved.

Scott Christian Echols was abducted from Muscoy, Calif., by by a stranger. If you have information on this child, call Children's Rights of Pennsylvania at 437-2971, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678, or (for the lost) TDD1-800-826-7663.

1585029983473.png
SYNOPSIS: On Sunday, July 26, 1992 sometime in the morning, Scott left the house without telling anyone where he was going. Scott resided at 3571 Nolan Street, San Bernardino (Muscoy). When Scott failed to return home Sunday evening his family reported him as a missing person.To date Scott has not been located. The photo on the right depicts how Scott may look today if he is alive.

(H#1992-119) ANYONE WITHI NFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: Sheriff Homicide Detail (909) 387-3589 or WE TIP 1-800-78-CRIME(Anonymous)

Nearly 25 years after 9-year-old Muscoy boy goes missing, cold-case detectives continue search
By Doug Saunders | dsaunders@scng.com | San Bernardino Sun
May 26, 2017 at 5:28 p.m.

MUSCOY >> He vanished into thin air more than 20 years ago.

Scott Echols was 9 years old when a knock at the door at 2:30 a.m. July 26, 1992, changed the lives of the Echols family forever.

Twenty-five years later, they still have no answers.

“We’ve never been able to actually grieve and get any kind of closure,” Don Echols said about his missing brother. “It’s been over 20 years and we still don’t know what happened to him.”

On that warm July night, Scott’s parents were asleep with two of their other children in the bedroom. Scott was asleep on the couch in the living room of their Muscoy home when someone knocked on the door.

“His family woke up the next morning and he was missing,” San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Denise Yoakum said. “The Sheriff’s Department did a door-to-door search for him and handed out numerous fliers. He was very outgoing.”

Everybody in the neighborhood knew who Scott was.

“We didn’t live in the greatest area but Scotty was a typical boy and was very much so loved by us all,” Echols recalled. “There’s a void in our hearts and we as a family need to know what happened.”

Investigators still to this day have no leads, but they continue their search for answers.

“Someone out there knows what happened to him,” Yoakum said. “We’re not going to stop looking until we have all the answers.”

Authorities received several leads at the time, but none of them panned out.

The case has haunted the law enforcement community over the years.

“There are no suspects. No clues. He just disappeared,” Yoakum said. “Retired detectives still call about the case. They have not forgotten Scott.”

Scott’s family lived in dire conditions but their lack of fortune hasn’t prevented officials from their continued search.

“We just want justice for Scott and his family,” Yoakum said. “The law must protect everyone equally, it doesn’t matter if they are rich or poor or where they came from.”

Echols would be 33 years old today.

Investigators and Scott’s family are pleading with the public to help them piece together what happened.

“If there’s a slim glimmer of hope we’ll take it,” Echols said. “This shattered all of our lives. If anyone knows anything, please contact detectives. Please help us get closure.”

Anyone with information regarding this case may call San Bernardino County sheriff’s detectives at 909-387-3589 or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).

“Children don’t disappear into thin air,” Yoakum said. “Someone out there knows what happened to Scott and they need to come forward with that information.”

Scott Echols disappeared after answering a knock on the door at approx 2:30 a.m at his home at 3571 Nolan Street, Muscoy, CA. He apparently rode away from his residence on his bicycle.

3i1YfIE.png

3571 Nolan St
San Bernardino, CA 92407

I'm curious to know how the family knew that someone knocked on the door around 2:30am?? Why was Scott, a child, the one to open the door? If I heard a knock on the door that early and my kid was asleep in the living room (regardless of where he was sleeping tbh), I would get out of bed quick to check things out. If they didn't hear the knock, then how do they know?

I'm curious to know how the family knew that someone knocked on the door around 2:30am?? Why was Scott, a child, the one to open the door? If I heard a knock on the door that early and my kid was asleep in the living room (regardless of where he was sleeping tbh), I would get out of bed quick to check things out. If they didn't hear the knock, then how do they know?
I was wondering the same thing and who saw him riding his bike away after that?

I was wondering that myself. I thought I was missing seeing that information somewhere. Exactly. You hear a knock. Your Child answers it. You know it. Why wouldn't you get up to investigate who it is?. Especially in the middle of the night. His behavior prior I believe is a strong indicator of his Parents maybe not being too involved in daily life already. Smoking, Drinking, Stealing at that age.

Scroll down to Episode 102 - Home | Unsolved with Steve Gregory
On July 25th, 1992, Scott Echols was eight-years-old. He lived with his parents and siblings in Muscoy, CA – a small town in San Bernardino County.
At approximately 10 pm on July 25th, 1992 - Scott was asleep on the couch in his living room as his parents and siblings slept in the bedroom. Suddenly there was a knock on the door and that was the last anyone ever heard from or about Scott.
The next morning, his family woke up and saw that his shoes were next to the couch… but there was no Scott.
Scott was known to frequent the wash near his house and to hangout with the homeless in the area. Scott was also known to panhandle around his town. Since he was known to disappear for some time, Scott’s family did not report him missing until July 27th, 1992. About two days since they last saw him.
Now 29 years later, Scott remains missing – there are more questions than answers. Investigators are still working diligently searching for answers to the question, “What happened to Scott?”

Or direct link here - Unsolved with Steve Gregory | iHeart

1645208789714.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back