RALPH YARL: 16-year-old shot after ringing doorbell of wrong house to pick up his brother in Kansas City, MO

1681784225988.png
8be5596ba51d13f75f61bd8940cf51d9c8-Ralph-Yarl-.rvertical.w330.jpg
1681783177475.png

Charges filed against homeowner in shooting of Ralph Yarl, Black teen shot when he went to the wrong house in Kansas City​

Prosecutors in Kansas City, Missouri, have filed felony charges against the homeowner accused of shooting Ralph Yarl, a Black teenager who was shot when he went to the wrong house to pick up his siblings last week.

At a news conference Monday evening, Clay County Prosecutor Zachary Thompson announced two felony charges against the suspect, Andrew D. Lester, whom he described as a White man who is 85 years old. The charges are one count of assault in the first degree, with a potential punishment of up to life in prison, and one count of armed criminal action.

"My heart goes out to the child and family involved in this case," Thompson said. He said the victim was shot twice, struck in the head and arm.

"The probable cause statement indicates the rounds were fired through a glass door," Thompson said, adding that it also indicated "the victim in the case did not cross the threshold."

He also said, "As the prosecutor of Clay County, I can tell you there was a racial component to the case," though he did not elaborate.

Thompson said the suspect was not yet in custody but a warrant had been issued for his arrest, with bond set at $200,000.

A short time before the announcement, Kansas City police said a case file had been submitted to the Clay County Prosecutors Office "for their review and determination of charges" in the matter.

"Our office worked closely with the Kansas City Police Department on this case, and we would not be here today but for their hard work," Thompson said. "We understand how frustrating this has been, but I can assure you the criminal justice system is working and will continue to work."

The shooting prompted protests in Kansas City and a growing outcry on social media, where lawmakers, activists and celebrities called attention to the case.

Yarl, who is 16 years old, was seriously injured in the shooting Thursday night. Yarl's father tells CBS Kansas City affiliate KCTV that the teen has now been released from the hospital and is recovering at home.

Yarl was meant to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 115th Terrace, but he ended up ringing the doorbell at a home on 115th Street instead, Faith Spoonmore, the teen's aunt, wrote online.

She said a man opened the door, saw Yarl and shot him in the head, and when Yarl fell to the ground, the man shot him again. Yarl got up and ran from the property, but he had to ask at three different homes before someone helped him, Spoonmore wrote.

Last edited:

Andrew Lester, man accused of shooting Ralph Yarl, appears in court​

The man accused of the 2023 shooting of a Black teenager who mistakenly went to the wrong house to pick up his brothers was back in court on Tuesday, just four days before the one-year anniversary of the crime that has captured nationwide attention.

Andrew Lester, who is free on a $200,000 bond, appeared before Clay County Judge David Paul Chamberlin for a docket call.

He stood at the podium for the less than five minute docket call.

Lester is charged with first-degree assault and armed criminal action in connection with the shooting of 17-year-old Ralph Yarl.

He has entered a not guilty plea.

Lester will be back in court on Sept. 6, 2024, for a pre-trial hearing . His trial is set for Oct. 7, 2024.

Family of Ralph Yarl files civil lawsuit against Andrew Lester, homeowners association​

Today, on behalf of my son Ralph Yarl, we stand before you to announce a significant step towards justice and accountability. The attorney, Lee Merritt, representing Ralph, has taken the necessary action by filing a civil case in Clay County Court. This incident not only shattered our family but also exposed a critical gap in our societal fabric, where the safety of our children is jeopardized by reckless actions.

Through this civil suit, we aim to spark a dialogue on the importance of responsible gun ownership and community safety measures of using words, not weapons. It's not just about seeking financial compensation; it's about holding all parties involved accountable and ensuring that steps are taken to prevent such tragedies from occurring again.

Including the homeowner’s association (HOA) in this lawsuit underscores the importance of collective responsibility in safeguarding our communities. Their knowledge of a potentially dangerous individual in the neighborhood without taking adequate precautions is unacceptable. This case is not just about seeking justice for Ralph but about advocating for systemic changes that prioritize the safety and well-being of all children.

We refuse to let Ralph’s suffering be in vain. His ordeal must serve as a wake-up call for our nation to prioritize child safety and enact meaningful reforms to protect our youth from gun violence. We hope this civil suit will ignite a nationwide movement toward creating safer environments for our children to thrive without fear.

Cleo Nagbe, Ralph Yarl's mother

The lawsuit alleged the HOA “was aware or should have been aware of Andrew Lester’s propensity for violence, access to dangerous weapons and racial animus.”

Lester, 85, has been charged with first-degree felony assault and armed criminal action. Lester pleaded not guilty to both crimes.

His attorney has said his client was afraid and was defending himself. Lester’s trial is scheduled to begin in October.

Family of Ralph Yarl files civil lawsuit against Andrew Lester, homeowners association​

Today, on behalf of my son Ralph Yarl, we stand before you to announce a significant step towards justice and accountability. The attorney, Lee Merritt, representing Ralph, has taken the necessary action by filing a civil case in Clay County Court. This incident not only shattered our family but also exposed a critical gap in our societal fabric, where the safety of our children is jeopardized by reckless actions.

Through this civil suit, we aim to spark a dialogue on the importance of responsible gun ownership and community safety measures of using words, not weapons. It's not just about seeking financial compensation; it's about holding all parties involved accountable and ensuring that steps are taken to prevent such tragedies from occurring again.

Including the homeowner’s association (HOA) in this lawsuit underscores the importance of collective responsibility in safeguarding our communities. Their knowledge of a potentially dangerous individual in the neighborhood without taking adequate precautions is unacceptable. This case is not just about seeking justice for Ralph but about advocating for systemic changes that prioritize the safety and well-being of all children.

We refuse to let Ralph’s suffering be in vain. His ordeal must serve as a wake-up call for our nation to prioritize child safety and enact meaningful reforms to protect our youth from gun violence. We hope this civil suit will ignite a nationwide movement toward creating safer environments for our children to thrive without fear.

Cleo Nagbe, Ralph Yarl's mother

The lawsuit alleged the HOA “was aware or should have been aware of Andrew Lester’s propensity for violence, access to dangerous weapons and racial animus.”

Lester, 85, has been charged with first-degree felony assault and armed criminal action. Lester pleaded not guilty to both crimes.

His attorney has said his client was afraid and was defending himself. Lester’s trial is scheduled to begin in October.
I'm not understanding the suing of the HOA. Lester wasn't the responsibility of his neighbors. The only way it would make sense is if there was a line in their covenants that specifically state that.

I'm not understanding the suing of the HOA. Lester wasn't the responsibility of his neighbors. The only way it would make sense is if there was a line in their covenants that specifically state that.
Yeah, my first inclination was to wonder about it, too! Glad I’m not alone.

Yeah, my first inclination was to wonder about it, too! Glad I’m not alone.
I guess they might have some kind of stipulation in their covenants, but I've never heard of that one being in any and I've seen some pretty crazy rules written in them.

Unless he has a criminal history of the things they are suing regarding maybe? And there's some stipulation about criminal history in their rules. I don't think much, if anything, has been released about his history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheSandlot6
Back