GA QUINTON SIMON: Missing from Savannah, GA - 5 Oct 2022 - Age 20 months *Found Deceased**ARREST*

1664988811022.png

Savannah : Police searching for missing 20-month-old toddler​

The Chatham County Police Department is searching for a missing toddler.

Twenty-month-old Quinton Simon was last seen at his home in the 500 block of Buckhalter Road at 6 a.m. this morning, and was reported missing at approximately 9:00 a.m.

He was wearing a light blue Sesame Street shirt and black pants.

Last edited by a moderator:

It has been 1 year since Quinton Simon disappeared. Here is where the case stands​

It has been one year since a Savannah-area boy disappeared, whose remains were later found in a landfill.

Quinton Simon, who was 20 months old, was reported missing from his Chatham County home on Oct. 5, 2022.

Leilani Simon was eventually indicted on 19 counts including malice murder and felony murder.

“These are the cases that keep us up at night. These are the cases that deserve justice,” Chatham County District Attorney Shalena Cook Jones told WTOC-TV at the time.

Since then, Leilani Simon has been fighting to have the charges dropped against her. A trial date has yet to be set in the case as a series of pre-trial motions are still being worked out.

She remains in the Chatham County Jail while she awaits trial.

By WSBTV.com News Staff
January 08, 2024 at 12:03 pm EST

SAVANNAH — The home where a Georgia toddler lived before he was found dead in a landfill in 2022 is now up for sale, according to WJCL.

<snip>

Now, WJCL reports that the family has put the home Quinton lived in with his mother and grandparents up for sale. The 2,800-square-foot property is listed for $399,900. The official sellers are Quinton’s grandparents, Thomas and Billie Jo Howell.

By WSBTV.com News Staff
January 08, 2024 at 12:03 pm EST

SAVANNAH — The home where a Georgia toddler lived before he was found dead in a landfill in 2022 is now up for sale, according to WJCL.

<snip>

Now, WJCL reports that the family has put the home Quinton lived in with his mother and grandparents up for sale. The 2,800-square-foot property is listed for $399,900. The official sellers are Quinton’s grandparents, Thomas and Billie Jo Howell.
Mom/grandma is lucky she isn't in jail imo. She was the "guardian" of this child and was not to leave him with her daughter if I recall. I hope she and hub aren't selling the home to pay for murdering baby mom's legal defense. Going out and partying with her was inappropriate enough as was the loss of temper with the babysitter. I don't doubt grandma had her hands full but her choices weren't the best.

If I had to guess, they are selling to pay legal fees for a defense. In my opinion a futile defense. This baby was found in a landfill! With video of mom going to the garbage with what was undeniably imo this child based on all the surrounding time frame and reports.

Leilani Simon, the Chatham County mother accused of killing her baby, Quinton Simon, and disposing of his body in a dumpster, was back in court Tuesday. Defense and the prosecution gave an update on where each of their teams stood as far as preparing for the case.
The prosecution told Judge Tammy Stokes that they are waiting on some testing that could be critical to building their case. That includes forensic testing of Quinton Simon’s pack n’ play, as well as on his remains that were recovered from a Chatham County landfill.
They’re also waiting on toxicology results. The defense team expressed they were waiting for the same things.

Stokes then said she would like to put the case to trial before the end of the year. Next court date as April 16. That will be to go over several motions by the defense, including a motion to block any statements admitting guilt by Leilani, and a motion to quash the indictment.

Quinton Simon was reported missing on Oct. 5, 2022. It was not until Nov. 18, 2022, that his remains were found at a Chatham County landfill.

Mom/grandma is lucky she isn't in jail imo. She was the "guardian" of this child and was not to leave him with her daughter if I recall. I hope she and hub aren't selling the home to pay for murdering baby mom's legal defense. Going out and partying with her was inappropriate enough as was the loss of temper with the babysitter. I don't doubt grandma had her hands full but her choices weren't the best.

If I had to guess, they are selling to pay legal fees for a defense. In my opinion a futile defense. This baby was found in a landfill! With video of mom going to the garbage with what was undeniably imo this child based on all the surrounding time frame and reports.
Going out partying. Casey friggin' Anthony.

Going out partying. Casey friggin' Anthony.
Yeah but in this case grandma went with...

Sickening isn't it. Many others, self included, I think still are not sure grandma shouldn't be charged. She HAD custody and left him/them with her daughter. And yes they partied together after this crime, whooped it up and hit on I thinka bartender, etc.

Haven't thought of this one in awhile. Thank you @noZme for the update.

Updated: 12:05 AM EDT Apr 10, 2024
Tia Maggio
Reporter/Multimedia Journalist

Ga. —
A new report from Georgia Sen. Jon Ossoff shows the failures in Georgia's foster care system.

Sen. Ossoff announced the release of his report on Tuesday. The report is a 13-month investigation of testimonies, cases, and findings surrounding around the safety of foster children.

"The most vulnerable children in our state and in our nation must be protected from physical abuse, from sexual abuse, and from human trafficking. We cannot and must not look away from these findings, though they are deeply distressing. We cannot accept the abuse, the trafficking, and the preventable death of children. I thank my Subcommittee staff and the more than 100 witnesses whose hard work and courage has brought these facts to the public," Chairman Ossoff said in a statement Tuesday.

The report criticizes Georgia's Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS), claiming its failures led to deaths and abuse of foster children.

One of those deaths happened in Chatham County.

Police say 20-month-old Quinton Simon was beaten to death and thrown into a dumpster by his mother, Leilani Simon, in 2022. Simon currently faces murder charges for her son's death.

The report criticizes DFCS' handling of the case, like failing to properly investigate Simon's caregiving, his grandmother, on her long history with Child Protective Services.

Emma Hetherington, a professor at University of Georgia and a 12-year case worker for an outside foster child advocacy agency, helped compile the findings.

Hetherington said the most shocking finding in the report were cases about child sex trafficking.

"The number of children who have gone missing in Georgia over the last several years, which is in the thousands … the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children believe that 440 or so were trafficked while missing," Hetherington said.

However, 75% of child abuse reports are neglect, according to Hetherington, which she said stems from poverty.

"It's not necessarily that a caregiver is directly, physically or sexually abusing these kids, but they need some sort of assistance to be able to care for their children," Hetherington said.

The report also criticized DFSC for its mismanagement also led to the abuse of foster children.

"More often than not, you will find employees with high burnout rate. They're not being appropriately trained or supervised. They don't know what they're doing" Hetherington said.

WJCL reached out to Georgia DFSC for a comment but never heard back.

By Flynn Snyder
Published: Apr. 16, 2024 at 7:07 PM EDT|
Updated: 13 hours ago

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - Leilani Simon’s lawyers are asking a judge to throw out her statements she made to law enforcement.

The case’s lead investigator testified today as prosecutors played hours of interviews between Simon and law enforcement following her son Quinton’s 2022 disappearance.

The defense argues that during some of those interviews Simon invoked her fifth amendment rights to remain silent and to have an attorney present.

Simon’s lawyers claim those invocations meant all of her statements afterwards should be revoked and that police could no longer contact her to come in for further interviews.

The prosecution pushed back claiming Simon’s 5th amendment invocations had no legal effect since they did not happen while she was in custody and that she chose to make voluntary statements to law enforcement.

That’s something the State pressed the case’s lead investigator about on the stand.

“Was she ever handcuffed at any point that day,” asked Timothy Dean, Prosecutor.

“No,” Det. Marian Lemmons, Chatham County Police Department answered.

“Was she ever shackled to a wall,” asked Dean.

“No,” Lemmons answered.

“Was she ever subjected to any physical force whatsoever,” asked Dean.

“No,” Lemmons answered.

“Did anybody ever threaten anything like that,” asked Dean.

“No,” Lemmons answered.

“Did anybody ever threaten or insinuate anything nonphysical like getting her fired from her job or taking her kids away,” asked Dean.

“No,” Lemmons answered.

Prosecutors played a portion of WTOC’s interview with Simon as part of the evidence in today’s hearing.

Judge Tammy Stokes did stop us from filming shortly before the defense started their questioning claiming it was in an effort to protect the impact and testimony of court proceedings.

Simon was indicted on 19 counts in 2022.

Judge Stokes did not make a ruling on the motion today.

WTOC will follow court filings closely and update you when she does.

Updated: 12:05 AM EDT Apr 10, 2024
Tia Maggio
Reporter/Multimedia Journalist

Ga. —
A new report from Georgia Sen. Jon Ossoff shows the failures in Georgia's foster care system.

Sen. Ossoff announced the release of his report on Tuesday. The report is a 13-month investigation of testimonies, cases, and findings surrounding around the safety of foster children.

"The most vulnerable children in our state and in our nation must be protected from physical abuse, from sexual abuse, and from human trafficking. We cannot and must not look away from these findings, though they are deeply distressing. We cannot accept the abuse, the trafficking, and the preventable death of children. I thank my Subcommittee staff and the more than 100 witnesses whose hard work and courage has brought these facts to the public," Chairman Ossoff said in a statement Tuesday.

The report criticizes Georgia's Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS), claiming its failures led to deaths and abuse of foster children.

One of those deaths happened in Chatham County.

Police say 20-month-old Quinton Simon was beaten to death and thrown into a dumpster by his mother, Leilani Simon, in 2022. Simon currently faces murder charges for her son's death.

The report criticizes DFCS' handling of the case, like failing to properly investigate Simon's caregiving, his grandmother, on her long history with Child Protective Services.

Emma Hetherington, a professor at University of Georgia and a 12-year case worker for an outside foster child advocacy agency, helped compile the findings.

Hetherington said the most shocking finding in the report were cases about child sex trafficking.

"The number of children who have gone missing in Georgia over the last several years, which is in the thousands … the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children believe that 440 or so were trafficked while missing," Hetherington said.

However, 75% of child abuse reports are neglect, according to Hetherington, which she said stems from poverty.

"It's not necessarily that a caregiver is directly, physically or sexually abusing these kids, but they need some sort of assistance to be able to care for their children," Hetherington said.

The report also criticized DFSC for its mismanagement also led to the abuse of foster children.

"More often than not, you will find employees with high burnout rate. They're not being appropriately trained or supervised. They don't know what they're doing" Hetherington said.

WJCL reached out to Georgia DFSC for a comment but never heard back.
I started to respond to this the other night and may never get to it because I have some remarks on it but was so tired and can't now either to focus on this one and make the points I want to, especially more than one and have them and what I mean be shown clearly. Too many cases, behind on really active ones right now, too little time, heavy work life etc. and this one has not been up on the radar for awhile.

So it is hard to sink into and I probably never will get back to but Quinton was not trafficked, I gather the report was way broader than this case. Or apparently not. Also I guess the thing to do would be to read the entire report and I haven't but what does it say about this case specifically?

I hope to get back to that one day and read it but that's doubtful.

This entire set up with bad mom at home and GMA leaving them when I don't think that was allowed is b.s. I suppose it could be said she was not in a home alone with them as stepgrandpa was there and so was mom's bf but then again were they and that meant she never was alone with the or in charge when grandpa probably wasn't charged with their care and mom's bf went to work...

The whole SET UP should not have been allowed imo. GMA should have had the kids and away from the same residence as daughter.

Not fresh on this one but believe I recall just about all of it.

Believe me this doesn't even touch on what I had to say about this but it is a brief bit. Getting into just these agenices, the politics, the positions and where ALL the money that gets thrown to the really goes is its own beast. Of course that isn't touched on I'm sure.

I care it all gets hit and cleaned up but that's uhm another subject. I want more on this one when they relate it to this one. And specifics on what they found in THIS one. Maybe it is in the broader report, I don't know and I know I should read it and find the time but unlikely to happen and that's what happens in this world too, no one can do that in all cases, some don't even care to if they have the time and no one hears about such if the news or someone does not get it out there.

Anyhow that is sideways enough and not going to go there, catching up or trying to quickly on all but I already see now we have something with her talking to cops willingly or was she. And THAT too what is going on in many cases needs to be entirely addressed. Seen it in how many in just the last few weeks. COPS CAN TOO TALK to people if willing without a Miranda. If they have them detained and they cannot leave and want to that is a whole different animal but now we are seeing claims where they seem to be graying it. I am ALL for where they really couldn't leave, asked for a lawyer and were not allowed to leave or questioning I was not ended. That is wrong. However, we are seeing a few that is entirely NOT the case or no reason to think it was.

It also goes to HERE IS WHY IF AN OFFICER, INVESTIGATOR, ETC. YOU ALWAYS, ALWAYS RECORD. Because that will show 199 percent what the truth is.

I think I did a twofer meaning I saw the next post or a glimpse when I came in and tried to get my bearings and now she or her atty is claiming such a thing. So I saved myself a bit of time by reacting on both things and it saves me from reading that one in full which would probably take me on a full tangent about this lately claimed stuff in many cases that no one wants me to go on. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helender
Back