OR MOLALLA DOE: skeletal remains found in Weyerhaeuser forest logging road in Molalla, OR - 8 Jan 2021 - Ring stone *KENNETH BELL*

1618545318483.png

ring.jpg

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP77090
Unsure, Uncertain

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery: On January 8, 2021, human skeletal remains were found on a privately owned, Weyerhaeuser forest logging road that runs nearly adjacent to the Molalla River, approximately 4 miles southeast of the center of the city of Molalla. The hillside that the remains are discovered on are at a nearly 45-degree angle, and are fire damaged from a large conflagration that burned through the area in September of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOLALLA, Ore. — A timber crew found skeletal human remains in a remote wilderness area southeast of Molalla. Detectives are investigating the case as a homicide.

The crew was planting trees in a steep ravine off a private logging road on Jan. 8 when they found the remains.

Because of how steep the ravine was, volunteers from Clackamas County Search and Rescue ran rope lines down the hill to allow search teams and investigators to access the area.

The sheriff's office said scraps of clothing found in the area suggest the remains may have been there for awhile. Other items found at the scene included a size 9.5 white, low-top canvas athletic shoe, a dark-gray metal ring and a squared red stone.
Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact the Sheriff's Office Tip Line at 503-723-4949 or by using the online email form. Please reference CCSO Case No. 21-000584.

Attachments

• mollala.jpg
    mollala.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2
Search and rescue volunteers also responded to the scene to run rope lines due to the steep 45-degree incline where the bones were found, the sheriff's office said.

The sheriff's office believes the remains may have been there for some time and predate the Sept. wildfires.

Scraps of clothing were found in the area. Additional items recovered at the site include a white low-top style canvas athletic shoe - size 9.5, and a dark-gray metal ring with a squared red stone.
The sheriff's office said the skeletal remains are now with Dr. Nici Vance, State Forensic Anthropologist with the Oregon State Police, for detailed analysis. The detailed analysis can be viewed at www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/77090.

Detectives are investigating the case as a homicide, according to the sheriff's office.

Attachments

• 600ae156a3bed.image.jpg
    600ae156a3bed.image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
Search and rescue volunteers also responded to the scene to run rope lines due to the steep 45-degree incline where the bones were found, the sheriff's office said.

The sheriff's office believes the remains may have been there for some time and predate the Sept. wildfires.

Scraps of clothing were found in the area. Additional items recovered at the site include a white low-top style canvas athletic shoe - size 9.5, and a dark-gray metal ring with a squared red stone.
The sheriff's office said the skeletal remains are now with Dr. Nici Vance, State Forensic Anthropologist with the Oregon State Police, for detailed analysis. The detailed analysis can be viewed at www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/77090.

Detectives are investigating the case as a homicide, according to the sheriff's office.

There's quite a few pictures of the terrain at the above link.

I'm intrigued about these remains. Could they be one of the many Oregon missing that we've been searching for?

We could investigate and discover something more in the meantime about the ring, if it is for men or women and where it was produced; however they look like the remains of a man with small sizes or a woman with a very large size.

The sheriff's office said scraps of clothing found in the area suggest the remains may have been there for awhile.

How long is "some time" or "awhile"? Hopefully the ME can provide more specific info (nothing listed on NamUs).

Predating the September wildfires is like 1-2 years. Or it could be much, much longer.

That ring doesn't look modern to me? But I could just be extremely out of touch with jewelry trends.

How long is "some time" or "awhile"? Hopefully the ME can provide more specific info (nothing listed on NamUs).

Predating the September wildfires is like 1-2 years. Or it could be much, much longer.

That ring doesn't look modern to me? But I could just be extremely out of touch with jewelry trends.
It reminds me of a man’s ring. Especially from the 1970s or 80s. That doesn’t mean though that the person wearing it was wearing it because it didn’t belong to a parent or grandparent though.

Is this area remote? Is it easily accessible?
Oh yes it’s remote. I’m not sure if that exact location but if it is on Weyerhaeuser property, no one is allowed on there. They even pay the sheriffs department extra money to patrol their forest. I have a friend who is a captain for the sheriffs department in my county and she was actually was head of that division at one point And I heard that from her.

Video of them searching the area - 21-000584-SkeletalRemainsRecoveryMissionBroll.mp4

I’m not sure if that exact location but if it is on Weyerhaeuser property
It's on Weyerhaeuser property. But only about 4 miles out of town. And along the river, so along one of the main roads.

I think this particular area is "privately owned" but I don't think it was deep enough into the woods to be a restricted area. (Could definitely be wrong about that.)
But also, 4 miles is the exact Google distance from Molalla to the Weyerhaeuser building. So if it's in the immediate area of their buildings and machinery...that could be restricted as well.

Is this area remote? Is it easily accessible?
I'm not from the area so I don't want to speak like I am. And my opinion is based SOLELY on looking at the maps. But I guess it depends on a person's definition of "remote"... Personally I'd call it "extremely rural" with not much going on, but I wouldn't consider it remote. It's like 7-8 minutes out of town.

From what I can tell, it looks to be somewhere in this area, right on the river.

White canvas shoes, a swastika pin, a ring, a Harley Davidson pin. I don't know why but these things sound to me like a bit of an odd combination. It also seems odd that canvas shoes and a plastic comb, etc. would survive but no other clothing, etc. I wish they gave a better description of the shoe because one type I think of as a woman's shoe mainly, yet most of the accessories, etc. seem more likely a male.

Any thoughts on the swastika pin? I certainly would never wear something like that because of the connotations. Any better pics of it and the words on it?

I can read National-Sozialistische and I guess D.A.P., wich means deutsche Arbeiterpartei( german workers party). How I hate that stuff😕
Thanks. All I could tell is they were foreign words or so I thought, the parts I could make out. So it's pretty political then at minimum? If I get a chance maybe I will look more into those things online. It seems a pretty unusual item for here in the US, to me anyhow...

White canvas shoes, a swastika pin, a ring, a Harley Davidson pin. I don't know why but these things sound to me like a bit of an odd combination. It also seems odd that canvas shoes and a plastic comb, etc. would survive but no other clothing, etc. I wish they gave a better description of the shoe because one type I think of as a woman's shoe mainly, yet most of the accessories, etc. seem more likely a male.

Any thoughts on the swastika pin? I certainly would never wear something like that because of the connotations. Any better pics of it and the words on it?
They said a fire had gone through prior so possibly not enough clothing left after that to be identifiable? If that were the case it could also possibly imply lighter weight clothing, as in summer wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back