OR MICHAEL BRYSON: Missing from Hobo Camp, Lane Co, OR - 5 Aug 2020 - Age 27

bryson.jpg

DORENA, Ore. -- Search efforts have grown to find 27-year-old Michael Bryson who went missing early Wednesday morning.

Bryson was camping at the Hobo Camp Campground with friends last week when he wandered away from the site Wednesday morning and that was the last time he was seen.

The search is not isolated to just the campground and surrounding areas. Friends have deployed into cities all over western Oregon looking for any leads that could point them to where he might be.

His family said the longest they've ever gone without hearing from him is two days.

"It's very rare that five days in he would not have reached out to mom, dad, or sister," his uncle said.

The effort to find Bryson has grown beyond just those who knew him.

A facebook group with more than 2,000 members is dedicated to finding the young man.

The man's dad said Bryson doesn't know a stranger. He said his son was kind and friendly to everyone he met. He said he hopes that's the energy that brings him home.

A $10,000 reward is available for any information leading to his discovery, all which was donated to fuel efforts to find him.

MEDIA - MICHAEL BRYSON: Missing from Hobo Camp, Lane Co, OR since 5 Aug 2020 - Age 27

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew about the swimming hole, either! I wonder if that report is correct? I'll see if I can find out.
It would make me also tend to lean to something happening at the swimming hole, or that somebody wanted it to seem that way. If people had been camping out for a while, that swimming hole was most likely used by many if it was that close for both recreation and to clean up.

It would make me also tend to lean to something happening at the swimming hole, or that somebody wanted it to seem that way. If people had been camping out for a while, that swimming hole was most likely used by many if it was that close for both recreation and to clean up.

IIRC, the folded clothes weren't found until a couple of days later.

I think it was even longer than that, but I can’t remember for sure. I haven’t run across the person that I need to talk to in order to clarify that situation yet.
I remember it being much later too. Several months, at least.
This post is from December.
Per Michael’s dad on Facebook, some of his clothing has been located near the campground:

“On Monday we got a call from an individual who spotted something on the other side of creek on Brice Creek Rd, a mile west of Hobo camp. LCSO and SAR were notified, upon arriving they were able to collect some of the items Michael was wearing when he was last seen. They asked us to inform the public to stay out of the area while they conducted a few more days of searching. After combing through the area, SAR didn’t find anymore clues.”

The "swimming hole" information is new... It was said on the side of a creek before. Which, I guess if people swam there a lot, could be considered that. But who knows if the creek was deep enough to swim in in August.

Go back to page 9 of this thread to see the discussion of his clothes being found.

Several people have come forward recently on the Facebook page for Michael giving their accounts from the weekend Michael disappeared. They were both not directly associated with the party, but had been camped in the area. Both were asked to leave and offered money to do so. I'm not sure that any of their information will directly lead to Michael, but I'm glad people are STILL getting brave enough to come forward. And there are still people out there that haven't. Hopefully soon they too will be able to make that decision.

Several people have come forward recently on the Facebook page for Michael giving their accounts from the weekend Michael disappeared. They were both not directly associated with the party, but had been camped in the area. Both were asked to leave and offered money to do so. I'm not sure that any of their information will directly lead to Michael, but I'm glad people are STILL getting brave enough to come forward. And there are still people out there that haven't. Hopefully soon they too will be able to make that decision.

Asked to leave the campground you mean? Hmm.

Yeah, ALL should come forward. So wrong not to.

When I read that post I was wondering if the person already told all of this information to the police. I’m going to assume they did.
One of them said they talked to the forest service and the sheriff at the time...prior to Michael going missing. When the party was kicking off and getting out of hand. But they were never contacted again or called back for more info from either agency after Michael disappeared. Despite saying that they had been at the same campsite.

I think the one "recently sober" person had not made a previous report. They said they had only ever told the story during AA meetings.

One of them said they talked to the forest service and the sheriff at the time...prior to Michael going missing. When the party was kicking off and getting out of hand. But they were never contacted again or called back for more info from either agency after Michael disappeared. Despite saying that they had been at the same campsite.

I think the one "recently sober" person had not made a previous report. They said they had only ever told the story during AA meetings.
That’s right, I forgot that the people that had gotten to the campsite first said that they hadn’t gotten a call back. I should remember that but I was just thinking that they hadn’t gotten a call back at that time, not necessarily in the years since.

I’m not surprised that the deputies didn’t go up there when she called. We had a business in Lane County and we had an alarm that went off and the deputies would not go to our business to see if somebody broke in. They said they would not go unless there was a report that a firearm was involved. They said they didn’t have enough deputies. I’m not kidding. They are terribly under funded. Look at a map as to how large lane county is and imagine that at times there’s only two deputies assigned during one shift.

Last edited:
If an individual state can’t come up with the resources to have a missing persons investigative group, then the feds should create one. There needs to be some coherent dedicated investigative team for the missing and the unidentified.
I love your use here of the word coherent. You may mean it one way or another but i take it to mean not some group government forms that more often than not would not be coherent or effective.

I agree by the way. Cold cases have become a thing, still not looked at or taken care of probably enough but it has gotten better, but MISSING people is another story. Of course their cases become cold but I truly don't think, especially if adults, they get the attention that a case does that has an unidentified body from 40 years ago, those cases are being addressed more too. But missing adults? Uhm, not even close to enough effort imo. Is there some and in some cases? Of course but not nearly enough and many are almost ignored and a lot more needs to be done.

I love your use here of the word coherent. You may mean it one way or another but i take it to mean not some group government forms that more often than not would not be coherent or effective.

I agree by the way. Cold cases have become a thing, still not looked at or taken care of probably enough but it has gotten better, but MISSING people is another story. Of course their cases become cold but I truly don't think, especially if adults, they get the attention that a case does that has an unidentified body from 40 years ago, those cases are being addressed more too. But missing adults? Uhm, not even close to enough effort imo. Is there some and in some cases? Of course but not nearly enough and many are almost ignored and a lot more needs to be done.

If you want to a watch a great movie that inadvertently explains why a lot of people go missing, watch the movie "Breakdown" with Kurt Russell.

If you want to a watch a great movie that inadvertently explains why a lot of people go missing, watch the movie "Breakdown" with Kurt Russell.
It sounded familiar and so I searched it. Still sounds familiar but unsure if I'd seen it back when or not. So the info says she was kidnapped for ransom but you said it "inadvertently" explains why "a lot" of people go missing. Meaning what exactly?

It sounded familiar and so I searched it. Still sounds familiar but unsure if I'd seen it back when or not. So the info says she was kidnapped for ransom but you said it "inadvertently" explains why "a lot" of people go missing. Meaning what exactly?

I'll put it into a spoiler so if you don't want to know or someone else doesn't want to know before watching, they won't see it.

A man (Kurt Russell) and his wife are driving across country to new jobs on the West Coast. Their car has some problem that they have to pull over for. A trucker shows up and takes the wife to make a phone call. Kurt finds what's wrong and goes to where she was going to make the phone call, and she isn't there.

A group of guys are kidnapping people and forcing them to empty their bank accounts and then killing them. But since Russell and his wife are taken separately it causes problems for them.

How it inadvertently explains missing people is Russell finds the bad guys house, and he has a barn. He climbs up into the rafters of the barn to observe what's going on below. When he's able to get to the loft there are a lot of license plates from different states across the country. They've been doing this, and they kill the people and sell their cars. I'm sure there is a similar type of thing going on somewhere in the country now. It's from the 90s.

I'll put it into a spoiler so if you don't want to know or someone else doesn't want to know before watching, they won't see it.

A man (Kurt Russell) and his wife are driving across country to new jobs on the West Coast. Their car has some problem that they have to pull over for. A trucker shows up and takes the wife to make a phone call. Kurt finds what's wrong and goes to where she was going to make the phone call, and she isn't there.

A group of guys are kidnapping people and forcing them to empty their bank accounts and then killing them. But since Russell and his wife are taken separately it causes problems for them.

How it inadvertently explains missing people is Russell finds the bad guys house, and he has a barn. He climbs up into the rafters of the barn to observe what's going on below. When he's able to get to the loft there are a lot of license plates from different states across the country. They've been doing this, and they kill the people and sell their cars. I'm sure there is a similar type of thing going on somewhere in the country now. It's from the 90s.
Now that you tell me a bit more than I read about it, I'm pretty sure I saw it. I worry about my memory sometimes but then with all that has went on in the life of my family and myself the last how many years I put it down to that. Hearing the details, I can't bring it entirely to recollection but most of it I can, just not the little details.

So you think this really went on or has went on? And it accounts for a "lot" of the missing people? Murder for a vehicle and some bucks? A vehicle they have to not get caught with, and that's on top of coming across people here and there and everywhere with a car breakdown, etc. which can't be planned as to who and where. Then someone has to be available or come across them and willing to get the vehicle somewhere and to kill the people. And to hide the bodies. Etc. And trust members of a group that will never rat on the others or get caught? It seems way out there to me.

Now IF it was just in one area maybe and where cars are know to commonly overheat and the nearest shop is one that is in on it, etc. maybe they could make something work. Even then pretty far fetched they would resort to murder on top of it.

Not meaning to make light of it but I just don't see it. I think probably 75 percent or upwards of the people that go missing were killed by someone they knew. The ones that weren't if they truly left on their own met with a bad person or were involved with one, encountered one or went to the wrong party or to get drugs, etc.

I think I'm remembering the basic parts of the movie and it was a gripping one, that I recall, but I don't think it likely. And not because the thought scares me or I need to be in denial or in my bubble or anything, I'm not that type, I just don't see it likely in a logical or logistical manner?

Do you remember the movie, can't recall the name, where John Boy from the Waltons (trying to recall actor name, John Thomas?) and his wife in the movie went to New York City I think it was, and they were basically a naive rural type of couple and what happened to them? I agree that in a CITY ending up in the wrong neighborhood and being a clueless type can land you in at least a scary situation and even in a dangerous one but many of the other aspects of these movies are just a yeah, right to lend to the thrill/danger of them.

Now that you tell me a bit more than I read about it, I'm pretty sure I saw it. I worry about my memory sometimes but then with all that has went on in the life of my family and myself the last how many years I put it down to that. Hearing the details, I can't bring it entirely to recollection but most of it I can, just not the little details.

So you think this really went on or has went on? And it accounts for a "lot" of the missing people? Murder for a vehicle and some bucks? A vehicle they have to not get caught with, and that's on top of coming across people here and there and everywhere with a car breakdown, etc. which can't be planned as to who and where. Then someone has to be available or come across them and willing to get the vehicle somewhere and to kill the people. And to hide the bodies. Etc. And trust members of a group that will never rat on the others or get caught? It seems way out there to me.

Now IF it was just in one area maybe and where cars are know to commonly overheat and the nearest shop is one that is in on it, etc. maybe they could make something work. Even then pretty far fetched they would resort to murder on top of it.

Not meaning to make light of it but I just don't see it. I think probably 75 percent or upwards of the people that go missing were killed by someone they knew. The ones that weren't if they truly left on their own met with a bad person or were involved with one, encountered one or went to the wrong party or to get drugs, etc.

I think I'm remembering the basic parts of the movie and it was a gripping one, that I recall, but I don't think it likely. And not because the thought scares me or I need to be in denial or in my bubble or anything, I'm not that type, I just don't see it likely in a logical or logistical manner?

Do you remember the movie, can't recall the name, where John Boy from the Waltons (trying to recall actor name, John Thomas?) and his wife in the movie went to New York City I think it was, and they were basically a naive rural type of couple and what happened to them? I agree that in a CITY ending up in the wrong neighborhood and being a clueless type can land you in at least a scary situation and even in a dangerous one but many of the other aspects of these movies are just a yeah, right to lend to the thrill/danger of them.

I think it's still going on today somewhere. It's usually a few weeks before people start looking for missing people in this situation. For money and a car, people will kill a lot less. The cars are stripped for parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back