IN MERCEDES LAIN: Missing from Mishawaka, IN - 14 Aug 2021 - Age 11 months *Found Deceased**GUILTY PLEA*

1629237326796.png 1629237356852.png 1629237336454.png

FBI joins search for missing 11-month-old in Indiana; parents charged​

The parents of a missing 11-month-old girl in Indiana have been taken into custody, police said Tuesday.

Plymouth Police Chief David Bacon said at a news conference that Kenneth Lain and Tiffany Coburn were being charged with neglect of a dependent.

The FBI is now assisting in the search for Mercedes Lain, WNDU reported.

She is described as a white female, 2 feet tall and 19 pounds with blonde hair with brown eyes. She was last seen at 12:30 a.m. Saturday in Mishawaka, Indiana, wearing a white onesie with pink trim, the FBI Indianapolis office said on Twitter.

Plymouth Police Chief David Bacon said the man she had last been seen with, 37-year-old Justin Miller, is in custody and also charged with neglect of a dependent. Police said Miller is a family friend and was supposed to babysit Mercedes for a few days.

Mercedes was reported missing by her father Sunday night, and a statewide Silver Alert was issued. Miller and his vehicle were found in Starke County at 3:30 a.m. Monday.

Police believe Mercedes could be in the Marshall County area, but there is no sign of where exactly she might be.

“We’re just asking if anybody knows anything or if you have her, please bring her home or take her somewhere where she can be brought home,” said Stacy Milton, Mercedes’ aunt. “Please, we’re asking for your guys’ help.”

She is believed to be in extreme danger and may require medical assistance, according to the Silver Alert. Michiana Crime Stoppers has offered a reward of up to $1,000 for anyone who has information that could lead to finding her.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdg411

Administrator
Staff member
Is that in the links above? I'm not seeing it.
It's from Justin Miller's FB Log into Facebook

225172307_100769682325068_2938204993804762514_n.jpg

Mel70

I miss you Oreo.
Well Justin. You recorded evidence and put it on Facebook. If I can see what you did. The court definitely will. Pure evil.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
Parents of Mercedes Lain are pleading not guilty
The parents of the 11-month-old Plymouth girl found dead this week are pleading not guilty.

The parents are not accused of a having a direct role in their child's death.

They are charged with neglect of a dependent, Level 6 felonies.

They carry a maximum of two and a half years in prison.

Kenneth Lain and Tiffany Coburn appeared via video from the jail and were crying during most of the proceedings.

They’re accused of neglecting their daughter by leaving her with Kenneth’s cousin, Justin Miller, who allegedly disposed of Mercedes body in a wooded area after he says she died unexpectedly Saturday morning.

Along with the not guilty plea, both parents were appointed public defenders.

During the hearing today Mercedes father said he was angry and told the judge that he and Mercedes mom shouldn’t be facing the same charges as Justin Miller.

However, Miller is facing one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death. That is a much more serious level one felony and is a minimum 20-year prison sentence.

The prosecutor told us yesterday that could be upgraded further pending the autopsy results on little Mercedes.

Miller will be in court on Tuesday.

Mercedes parents will be back for a pre-trial conference next month.

Guess Who

Parents of Mercedes Lain are pleading not guilty
The parents of the 11-month-old Plymouth girl found dead this week are pleading not guilty.

The parents are not accused of a having a direct role in their child's death.

They are charged with neglect of a dependent, Level 6 felonies.

They carry a maximum of two and a half years in prison.

Kenneth Lain and Tiffany Coburn appeared via video from the jail and were crying during most of the proceedings.

They’re accused of neglecting their daughter by leaving her with Kenneth’s cousin, Justin Miller, who allegedly disposed of Mercedes body in a wooded area after he says she died unexpectedly Saturday morning.

Along with the not guilty plea, both parents were appointed public defenders.

During the hearing today Mercedes father said he was angry and told the judge that he and Mercedes mom shouldn’t be facing the same charges as Justin Miller.

However, Miller is facing one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death. That is a much more serious level one felony and is a minimum 20-year prison sentence.

The prosecutor told us yesterday that could be upgraded further pending the autopsy results on little Mercedes.

Miller will be in court on Tuesday.

Mercedes parents will be back for a pre-trial conference next month.
" after he says she died unexpectedly Saturday morning."

So she was dead in that pic??? (that pic was posted in the morning of the 14th

Mel70

I miss you Oreo.
Did no one pay attention to what I said about the picture?. Or am I just being dismissed?.

FightingCrime247

I don't understand how so many of these children are being failed time and again by CPS, the very organization that is supposed to protect them. I mean come on we have to do better than this, they have one job what is the root of the problem? This has been a problem for years and I wish I knew some way to help make it better so sad for these children that are falling through the cracks.

Imamazed

Administrator
Staff member

Results showed that the cause of Mercedes death was blunt force injuries of the head and the manner of death was determined as a homicide.

Justin Miller continues to be held in the Marshall County Jail in lieu of posting a $100,000 cash bond, according to a release from the Marshall County Prosecutor's Office. Miller is scheduled for an initial hearing at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday.

He currently faces one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death, which is a Level 1 felony and is punishable by up to 40 years in prison.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Miller enters not guilty plea in Mercedes Lain death; questions remain over jurisdiction​

There’s difference of opinion on where the man accused of dumping the body of 11-month-old Mercedes Lain should stand trial.

Justin Miller made his first court appearance today and is facing one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death.

The big issue centers on where 11-month-old Mercedes Lain was killed. The coroner ruled her death a homicide yesterday, but if she was killed outside of Marshall County, there would be some jurisdictional issues.

Justin Miller made his first court appearance this morning by video-teleconference. He entered a preliminary plea of not guilty and was appointed a public defender.

The charges against Miller were expected to be upgraded after a pathologist found her cause of death to be blunt force injuries to the head and ruled it a homicide.

However, Prosecutor Nelson Chipman says there are some jurisdictional issues that have to be worked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jen roy