JOSHUA "JJ" VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN, TAMMY DAYBELL, & CHARLES VALLOW: State of Idaho/Arizona vs. Lori *GUILTY* & Chad Daybell for murder

1580704661510.png

Police seem to be no closer to finding 7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 17-year-old Tylee Ryan than they were when this story began months ago.

Since that time, the story has gained international attention as it’s taken twists and turns involving a purported cult, dead spouses, delusions of divinity and preparing for the end of the world. Despite all the angles, and the ever-growing number of people related to the case, the facts remain essentially the same as when it was first announced.

The two children remain missing and the parents, Lori (Vallow) Daybell, and her new husband, Chad Daybell, refuse to disclose their whereabouts to police. Both have been named persons of interest in the disappearance of the children. Law enforcement is also investigating the deaths of the Daybells’ previous respective spouses, Charles Vallow and Tammy Daybell, though neither Chad nor Lori have been named suspects in those cases.

Written timeline of events
  • April 3, 2018 - Tylee Ryan's father, Joseph Ryan, dies. Death ruled heart attack.
  • December 2018 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow make first appearance on Preparing a People podcast.
  • February 2019 - Charles Vallow files for divorce from Lori, claiming she viewed herself as a god preparing for the second coming, and she would kill him if he got in her way.
  • February - April 2019 - Lori disappears for nearly two months, leaving her children with others.
  • June 2019 - Lori's niece demands a divorce from her husband, who says she shares similar beliefs to her aunt.
  • July 11, 2019 - Charles Vallow shot and killed by Lori's brother Alex Cox. Shooting initially ruled self-defense.
  • August 2019 - Lori moves to Rexburg, Idaho with kids
  • September 3, 2019 - Joshua "JJ" Vallow enrolled in school
  • September 23, 2019 - JJ last attended school
  • September 24, 2019 - Lori unenrolls JJ from school, saying she would be homeschooling him.
  • September 2019 - Tylee also seen in September, but it's unclear when and where (she had graduated early)
  • October 2, 2019 - Lori's niece's ex-husband was shot at, missing his head by inches. Shooter was driving a vehicle registered to Charles Vallow.
  • October 9, 2019 - Tammy Daybell, Chad's wife, called 911 and said a masked man shot at her with a paintball gun.
  • October 19, 2019 - Tammy Daybell dies, death is ruled natural
  • October 25, 2019 - Tylee, or someone using her phone, texts a friend
  • Late October / Early November 2019 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow get married
  • November 26, 2019 - Welfare check requested for JJ at the request of extended family - police are told he is in Arizona with family, but he is not
  • November 27, 2019 - Police return to serve a search warrant, finding the Daybell's gone
  • December 12, 2019 - Lori's brother, who had shot her ex-husband, dies mysteriously in Arizona
  • December 20, 2019 - Search for JJ and Tylee goes public
  • December 30, 2019 - LE says Lori knows where her children are but will not cooperate
  • January 25, 2020 - Chad & Lori are located in Hawaii, served with a notice that she must produce the children within 5 days
  • January 30, 2020 - Lori fails to produce JJ and Tylee

1580705763474.png

edited by staff to add new media link

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt believe he is still paying a mortgage. So didnt he get the life insurance yet or even have a mortgage protection policy?
I'm a couple of pages behind but once they needed attorneys, it is possible the home got mortgaged...? Otherwise he and Lori whooped it up and blew through all the bucks. He wasn't arrested at this point but remember she was and he was trying to raise bail money for her and even asked that couple to put up their house too, etc...

You know it is funny he only claims she entrapped and played him way, way after. He was still fully on board and telling her he loved her the day of his own arrest. It's obvious for many reasons he knew what they'd find on his land.

Good point. I guess he knew he couldnt afford bail though.
So even though the dead children are found buried right opposite where she lives, she still doesn't believe it.
Linda's show which I think she got out this morning coverng key things from yesterday's touches on the many reasons he knew, was guilty, etc. I'm listening to it as I write this. She also covers the phones

Do you recall how much $$ he gave each child? Wasn't it 8 or 9K? I am wondering because why would you hide cash in your son's room, the 9K he told Emma about. So was this the money that he gave each kid and Mark still had his? Or is it that this use to be Mark's room and they simply still refer to it as that and Chad was using it as an office or something? I get mixed up. Garth was the one still at home right? I'm not asking that you go look, just wondering if you know off the top of your head, or if anyone else recalls either.

So Tylee's remains were burnt on Chad's property the morning of the raccoon text. But we don't know how or where she died. It was sometime after the Yellowstone pic and before the raccoon text.
And where were the kids and Tammy at the time of burning and the neighbors. I think a neighbor mentioned fire/s. I think they already had her remains in something or in some condition when they burned them. Wasn't she also dismembered. It is pretty clear we don't have the probably FULL ON details on Tylee's remains and I'd probably prefer not to have but pretty much just a mass or blob but they were able to tell some things weren't they.... I have it in my head she was dismembered...

It throws me a bit he/they would do this in his fire pit. One would think it wouldn't be easy and there'd be odor. Four and a half or whatever it is acres is NOT that big. I know people in subdivisons in town or a city that have that much for a YARD. He WAS though I recall googling wind directions, etc. so maybe planned for a day it would not waft towardsd his own house or towards a neighbor. STILL...

I’ve always believed they took Tylee to Yellowstone to have one last fun day before her death. Same thing with Chad sending Tammy over to her family’s town for a last visit. What did JJ get? Nothing. There isn’t anything nice about either one of them. They are selfish and depraved.
It would seem that way and I can see that look at it but I don't feel that way. Tylee had said not me mom and she almost seems to have a bit of a defiant look when holding JJ. Now I forget where the "not me" comes from and how that was known and who reported it. This case and keeping the details fresh in one's head is so hard. It was all speculation but when the kids couldn't be found itw s speculated they'd been thrown in at Yellowstore or killed there, remember? That pic was her last proof of life wasn't it or do they have one more time now? They didn't for a long time and I thought I was last proof.

The other reason I guess I'm not so sure is just a normal one. Is this where a teenage kid would want to go and consider a fun last day (she didn't know of course I'm sure but would it be what a 17 year old would want to do?). Wasn't there some sighting of was it not a truck, Alex's? pulled over by someone when they put out info? I tend to wonder if she wasn't killed that day and YS may have been the plan but then they decided too risky OR had a plan all along of doing it along the way or some such? On the way home at some out of the way spot...?

It certainly could have been one last fun trip, one outing with the closest ones, her bro, mom and uncle Alex but what about Lori would suggest she'd do that is another thing, or about Alex? I don't think JJ had one from what we know right before his later murder.

I have thought of also maybe it was some attempt with the possible volcano etc. to rid the kids of their zombie status and whoever or whatever had taken care of them or maybe Zulema the hurricane and probably volcano goddess too told them to go there OR CHAD DID. I dont' see anything in Lori that does nature or park kind of stuff unless a theme park, a place to eat, shopping, etc. anyone very see them kayaking or snorkeling in Hawaii? She's a creature comfort kind of "gal". I guess it is possible Tylee picked it and they ate out, etc. that day.

Not sure if we will ever know but I tend to think there was some other reason for it. I mean their plans changed more than once. Tammy went from car accident to attempted shooting to dying in her marital bed allegedly. THIS is another thing that shows imo Chad's involvement, so many things. And his car accident prediction was wrong, go figure. Dying young wasn't, go figure. So maybe Yellowstone was a part of a plan for both kids deaths or one and they adjusted for some reason...

I don't know. A fun last day is as likely as what I can't quite figure or know either. I think we can assume though that by that day the plan was already that both kids were going to "go". The movie to Rexburg and no one that cared knowing where there were (a/k/a Colby, Kay and Larry, etc.) it was already the plan. Chad didn't want them. Tylee was onto sh*t, JJ was an imperfect impaired child to them and of course money was a factor in all and life clear of problems like children. A compound at Rexburg was the plan for the 144K none of which involved children did it? Of course in Chad's twisted version some spouses had to die so the right two people could marry and be the couple that are the ones who are of the 144K. Zulema had to marry Alex, Charles was Ned and had to go and she had to marry Chad as they'd been married in other lives and were the Uber important top ones, Mel P and to marry Ian and imo all children had to go. EXCEPT Chad's but he was okay with that I'm sure since pretty much all were adults except for one and Emma would step up and mother him if needed in place of Tammy if Chad left. Heck his children, EMMA and HUB probably were going to be part of the 144K. Only minor children over eveyone else had to go... I don't recall where this was either but I think Mel P's kids hit the list at some point or were on it... Seriously.

I was right on Chad taking him upstairs and say when I am sure whether anyone wants to trust it or not lol, I am not AS SURE on MEL and BRANDON'S kids but it comes from somewhere...

Chad orchestrated every single thing he wanted to happen. He IS the one, she is too, they all are but HE gave the blessings, told them if they were special or goddesses and gave the dark and light scales even on daily or weekly changes and ratings they asked.

Okay. I have gone way a field here but with it all going on and diving back in and all are thinking and recalling some stuff, it is happening with me too.

Yellowstone could have been anything including a last fun family day. And to be honest what we all likely wondered more than once at that point when that was the last seen of either kid as far as we knew (later we knew JJ had been), I wavered between they were with someone and she hid them alive in some other state and that they were both dead at Yellowstone or someone on that trip and that they'd NEVER be found. Or either body ever would. And then they were found, in Chad's back yard. Total shocker. And it is a back yard not some farm pasture John Prior. I have 12 and some is the back part/yard and the other is the front part/yard. And 5 is only big to someone who has dwelled in a city with little to no yard. It's nothing.

So do you then think to come back here, sorry, this was the last fun day and any idea if she then was murdered that day after, that night or two days later, etc.? I don't think we know of any hint of life of Tylee even IN REXBURG other than that trip. Alex can't talk (how convenient) but Mel P should surely have seen her since she moved too but as any of us , I forget the date I relation to the kids' disappearance. She moved up after what was it about a week? Two? I'd add though no problem getting an apartment near the other two and so probably planned before for other remarrying then shortly after someone else, and part of the plan of all members of the 144 going to group in Rexburg.... Alex was what was he described as or Chad said the watchdog, guardian, whatever and hadh is important role in "god's" plan. But see they had to marry Alex off too to be part of the couples in the 144... Kids had to go, exes had to be killed or made into exes, life insurance collected. It all aligns as far as what they were all doing. And then of course here come DAvid and Mel G to Rexburg...And shown some land.

Okay, I will stop. It comes as I think as this case is opened up in the mind again, we have silence for periods and we take a rest and then the trial starts and there is just so much sh*t here in the past. I personally think but they don't dare they could show a pattern here with the plans and Rexburg too but it is already convoluted enough for a jury to begin with...

Tyle'ss DNA is on Chad's "farm" or household outdoor implements. And Chad took JJ upstairs. I'd certainly drill that in if prosecution.

Howeve, Prior is pulling one or trying to, havent' got to watch all but caught a couple minutes at lunch of takin Mel Gibb down and calling Rob Wood to testify is how it came across to me. Totally different trial than Lori's. We all knew it would be I think.

Forgive me it is my jumping off just got home tired post.

When did they tell her about it, though? If they have said that in trial, I’ve missed it.
Well Chad got told in the car didn't he? She had been told I seems by LE, dad or someone as she made the statement that she could tell how surprised her dad was and that he had known nothing, I.e. daddy is innocent. That is all so obvious as to be an intentional recorded remark it is not even funny imo.

Any chance Chad ever told her when he needed he at this point or not long prior or even back when that he and her hub were part of the chosen 144K.... And that mom wasn't...

Post in thread 'JOSHUA "JJ" VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN, TAMMY DAYBELL, & CHARLES VALLOW: State of Idaho/Arizona vs. Lori GUILTY & Chad Daybell for murder' JOSHUA "JJ" VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN, TAMMY DAYBELL, & CHARLES VALLOW: State of Idaho/Arizona vs. Lori GUILTY & Chad Daybell for murder

At 9:53 or 9:56 update she mentions in the midst of the money discussion with Chad that she knows there were 2 sets of remains found. And just continues on with that minute detail inserted. :oops:
I would be screaming! The horror! Wow.

2:48 p.m. Blake has some follow up. She asks if Duncan was involved in investigating Alex Cox’s death. He was not. Blake asks if Duncan is aware of what drugs Alex bought in Mexico. Duncan doesn’t know. Blake says on Nov. 24, Chad spoke to Alex about crossing over and his time being done. On Dec. 12, Alex dies.

2:46 p.m. Prior asks if Duncan was aware the blessing was two weeks before Alex died. Duncan says yes. Prior says Alex Cox died of natural causes and there was “no funny business.” Duncan says, “That we know of.” Prior asks Duncan if he’s aware Alex traveled to Mexico for cheap prescription drugs before he died. Duncan is aware. Prior has nothing further.

All of this is very interesting to me! No funny business “that we know of.” Chad gives Alex his blessing and says basically that he’s done with his work and then he dies right afterwards? And no funny business? I will never ever believe that Alex died of natural causes. Never.

And where were the kids and Tammy at the time of burning and the neighbors. I think a neighbor mentioned fire/s. I think they already had her remains in something or in some condition when they burned them. Wasn't she also dismembered. It is pretty clear we don't have the probably FULL ON details on Tylee's remains and I'd probably prefer not to have but pretty much just a mass or blob but they were able to tell some things weren't they.... I have it in my head she was dismembered...

It throws me a bit he/they would do this in his fire pit. One would think it wouldn't be easy and there'd be odor. Four and a half or whatever it is acres is NOT that big. I know people in subdivisons in town or a city that have that much for a YARD. He WAS though I recall googling wind directions, etc. so maybe planned for a day it would not waft towardsd his own house or towards a neighbor. STILL...
I think in the autopsy, when the examiner saw the remains of Tylee he said he couldn't do anything with them.

This is the last part of Tuesday 16th afternoon's testimony.

LIVE UPDATES FROM THE CHAD DAYBELL TRIAL​

Excuse the typos – these are live updates from the courtroom
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE TRIAL LIVE
3:20 p.m.
Boyce says we are going to break for the day.
Watch ‘Courtroom Insider’ tonight at 6:30 p.m. MT for a complete rundown of everything that happened today.
3:18 p.m. Boyce asks for a quick sidebar with the attorneys.
3:17 p.m. Prior has no further questions. Neither does Wood. The witness will not be recalled.
3:15 p.m. Prior adds up how much Lori was receiving a month from SS. It was around $5,700-5,800 a month.
3:14 p.m. Prior asks when the SS payments end for Tylee. Saari says in January 2020. The benefits would have stopped automatically when she turned 18.
3:12 p.m. Prior clarifies how much Lori was receiving due to JJ and Tylee.
3:11 p.m. Prior says he heard a lot about Lori Vallow. “Are any of these documents in regards to Chad Daybell?” Saari says no. Daybell is not listed on any of the documents. Prior says Chad is not under any obligation to notify anyone in SS Administration that he was married to Lori. Saari says if Chad was aware she had responsibilities to report it and did not, it could be a problem.
3:10 p.m. Social Security funds belong to the US Treasury. Wood has no further questions. Prior will now ask some questions.
3:08 p.m. If a beneficiary dies or moves, SS Administration needs to be notified. Wood asks if a person such a Lori Vallow remarries, are they required to tell SS Administration? Saari says they are. Saari says Lori never reported Tylee and JJ died or were missing. She never reported that JJ and Tylee moved from Arizona to Rexburg. She never reported she married Chad Daybell. She never reported she moved to Hawaii.
3:07 p.m. Wood asks to admit an exhibit and shows it to the jury. It’s a copy of the reporting responsibilities given to Lori Vallow when she began receiving payments for JJ Vallow.
3:06 p.m. Wood asks if people are required to notify the SS Administration if they have a change of circumstances. Saari says they are – if they move, if someone dies, get married, etc.
3:04 p.m. Lori received $1,951 a month. In January 2020, the amount was lowered due to a debt she had to the US Treasury. The benefits then ended due to JJ’s whereabouts being unknown.
3:03 p.m. JJ Vallow started receiving $1,951 a month in September 2019 due to the death of his father. Lori Vallow was the representative receiving the Social Security benefits. The benefits stopped due to his whereabouts being unknown. Lori Vallow received Mother, Child and Care benefits for taking care of JJ following Charles’ death.
3:02 p.m. Tylee Ryan stopped receiving benefits in January 2020 due to the fact she could not be located.
3:01 p.m. Wood asks to admit a notice sent to Lori Vallow notifying her of the bank change. The letter was sent on Aug. 27, 2019.
2:59 p.m. Tylee received $1,859 a month because her father, Joseph Ryan, died in 2018. Lori Vallow received the payments because Tylee was a minor. Saari says the Social Security benefits went to a JP Morgan Chase account. Lori was also on the account. Saari says the bank account changed to a BBVA account on or about Aug. 20, 2019.
2:58 p.m. Saari says in January 2020, the FBI contacted his office to determine the whereabouts of JJ and Tylee and to find out if fraud was involved. Saari met with law enforcement and the FBI.
2:57 p.m. Rob Wood is questioning Saari. Saari says he investigates fraud and abuse in the Social Security office.
2:55 p.m. Next witness is Social Security Special Agent Mark Saari.
2:54 p.m. State and defense do not intend to call Det. Duncan again. He is free to go.
2:53 p.m. Prior asks if Duncan knows everything about Chad, Lori and Alex. Duncan says he does not – the evidence in this case in voluminous. Prior has nothing further.
2:52 p.m. Blake has no further questions. Prior asks for more time with the witness. Blake objects. Boyce says as long as it stays within the scope, he will permit.
2:51 p.m. Duncan says he recommended charges for Chad Daybell in connection to Charles Vallow’s death.
2:50 p.m. Duncan revisits the texts between Melanie and Lori where Lori said give me five minutes as she was trying to figure out what to do. Duncan says at the time, Lori was talking to Chad. Blake asks if he thinks Alex Cox killed Charles. He says he did. Blake asks if Duncan believes Alex acted alone. Duncan believes he did not.
2:48 p.m. Blake has some follow up. She asks if Duncan was involved in investigating Alex Cox’s death. He was not. Blake asks if Duncan is aware of what drugs Alex bought in Mexico. Duncan doesn’t know. Blake says on Nov. 24, Chad spoke to Alex about crossing over and his time being done. On Dec. 12, Alex dies.
2:46 p.m. Prior asks if Duncan was aware the blessing was two weeks before Alex died. Duncan says yes. Prior says Alex Cox died of natural causes and there was “no funny business.” Duncan says, “That we know of.” Prior asks Duncan if he’s aware Alex traveled to Mexico for cheap prescription drugs before he died. Duncan is aware. Prior has nothing further.
2:44 p.m. Prior circles back to the funeral home call. Prior asks when the call was made. It was the night Charles died. Prior says Lori and Chad were having an affair at the time. Prior asks if the phone call means Chad was connected to the death of Charles Vallow. Duncan says no.
2:40 p.m. Lori went outside with the kids and then Alex shot Charles. Duncan says two day before the shooting, he uncovered messages between Lori and Melanie Boudreaux. Lori sent a message to Melanie saying she needed five minutes to try and figure out what to do.
2:37 p.m. Prior asks about the day Charles was shot. Duncan says on the day of the shooting, Alex, Lori, Tylee and JJ were all present at her home. Alex told police there was an argument between Charles and Lori over his phone. An argument continued. Tylee came out of the bedroom with a bat. Alex says he was hit in the head with the bat and Lori left the house with Tylee and JJ.
2:36 p.m. Prior asks Duncan who Zulema Pastenes is. Duncan says she was married to Alex Cox and was a friend of Lori Vallow. Prior asks Duncan if the relationship between Lori and Cox was close. He agrees. Prior says, “Oddly close?” Duncan says he doesn’t know much about the intimacy between the two and he’s heard it described as such – but he doesn’t personally know.
2:35 p.m. Prior circles back to the patriarchal prayer and asks if it’s a crime in Maricopa County to give a blessing. Duncan says no. Prior says because you give someone a prayer, it doesn’t insinuate they committed a crime. Duncan says that’s correct.
2:33 p.m. Duncan says he left the LDS faith to practice another religion when he was 18. Prior says he’s not trying to disparage the LDS church.
2:31 p.m. Prior asks about Melanie Gibb, David Warwick and Zulema Pastenes. He says they are all members of the LDS faith and they talk about vibrations, probationary periods, gods and goddesses. Prior asks Duncan if he is aware that in the LDS faith, as you move forward, you become a god or goddess. Duncan is not aware of that.
2:30 p.m. Prior says, “This is an unusual case because there’s a lot of talk about religion.” Duncan says, “I agree.” Prior asks Duncan if Chad was reading off something during the blessing. Duncan says he isn’t sure. Prior asks Duncan if he knows what Chad did for his job. He was an author. Prior says it sounds like Chad was writing a book during the blessing.
2:29 p.m. Duncan says right now Chad is not being charged but there is no statue of limitations for homicide in Arizona.
2:27 p.m. Prior asks Duncan is he received a copy of the prosecutor’s statement on whether or not to charge Chad Daybell in connection to Charles Vallow’s case. Duncan remembers getting the report. Prior asks Duncan to review the document and asks the reason the prosecutor did not charge Chad. He says, “There is no reasonable likelihood of conviction.”
2:24 p.m. Prior is back questioning Duncan. Duncan says in Maricopa County, they submit their recommended charges to the prosecutor. The prosecutor then decides whether to pursue charges or not.
2:23 p.m. Prior asks to approach. Attorneys having a sidebar meeting with the judge.
2:21 p.m. Prior asks if it’s unusual for a prosecutor to tell witnesses how to testify. Duncan says there is witness preparation in cases and it’s not highly unusual.
2:19 p.m. Prior asks about the statement the Arizona prosecutor issued about the decision not to charge Chad Daybell in connection to Charles Vallow’s death.
2:18 p.m. Prior brings up the information found on Lori’s iCloud. He says it wasn’t unusual for Chad and Lori to communicate with each other because they were having an affair. Prior asks Duncan if he knows the prosecutor in Maricopa County. Duncan says he knows many prosecutors.
2:16 p.m. Prior asks about Zulema saying light and dark. Duncan is unfamiliar with that term. Prior asks about death percentages and vibrations. Duncan says he has never heard about that in the LDS faith. Prior asks about removing evil spirits from bodies and if in the LDS faith you can pray to have possessed spirits removed. Duncan is unfamiliar with that.
2:15 p.m. Duncan says he was born in the LDS faith. Prior says he doesn’t have that background. He asks Duncan about the Doctrine and Covenants. Prior says the Church of the Firstborn is discussed in the Doctrine and Covenants.
2:14 p.m. Blake has no further questions for Duncan. Prior will now cross examine.
2:12 p.m. Blake asks Duncan if The Church of the Firstborn is affiliated with the LDS Church. He says they are not affiliated. Blake asks Duncan when Alex Cox died. He says December 2019. Blake asks about the statement Chad said about Alex knowing when it is time to move to the other side.
2:11 p.m. Blake asks the detective if heard the voice of Lori Vallow on the recording. He says he did. Duncan says a lot stood out to him in the blessing. The date was Nov. 24, 2019. Duncan says “The Church of the Firstborn” stood out to him and the statement Chad said Alex has “already helped them.”
2:10 p.m. Chad tells Alex he will have protection from Satan and says he will rise to an eternal glory with an eternal family. The blessing is over.
2:08 p.m. Chad blesses Alex with protection and says nine angels are now assigned to him from all sides because of his faithfulness. “I know you will stay faithful. You have a great mission and protection,” Chad says.
2:05 p.m. Chad says as the Second Coming approaches, Alex will know when it’s time to move to the other side. His spirit will leave his body and he will be welcomed by the Savior. Alex died less a month after this blessing on Dec. 12, 2019.
2:03 p.m. Chad tells Alex he will know where to be before natural disasters happen. He will be on location to protect church leaders and will save little children from flood waters. Chad is crying and sniffling. He says Alex will literally glow.
2:02 p.m. Chad begins to cry and says Alex will be a prophet and share his own experiences of overcoming adversity. Chad says Alex will give tremendous blessings to people and “raise their vibrations.”
2:01 p.m. Chad tells Alex he will be known throughout the world for his good heartedness and willingness to save souls all over the world through portals. “You will begin to gather the souls who come until Christ. I see you in New Jerusalem but more importantly I see you as a messenger of the Lord,” Chad says.
2 p.m. Chad says the Savior is saying to him (to Alex), “Well done. Thy soul is cleansed. All is well.” Chad blesses Alex with knowledge he will now move forward as as true warrior in ways that can be demonstrated through physical action and spiritual power.
1:59 p.m. The jurors are listening intently as Chad tells Alex he had to go to “great depths to achieve tremendous heights.”
1:58 p.m. Chad tells Alex he has already assisted him and Lori “in ways you can never be repaid.”
1:56 p.m. Chad says he wants to open the portals of time and sees Alex on the third creation being a warrior always seeking to do what is right. Chad says Alex was selected by the Savior himself to be part of the fourth creation. He says great warriors and powerful goddesses were needed. “You were selected to help protect your sister. You helped her in numerous probations to be a defender.”
1:54 p.m. Chad gives the blessing to Alex and says he’s part of the Church of the Firstborn. Chad says Jesus Christ has authorized this blessing. As the blessing is playing in court, Chad is looking at the blue screen above the witness stand and looks down.
1:53 p.m. Blake moves to admit a recording of the blessing. Chad gave this blessing to Alex Cox. You can listen to it here. It was given in November 2019.
1:51 p.m. Blake references a patriarchal blessing that was found on Lori’s iCloud. Patriarchal blessings are used in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Duncan says he has some basic knowledge of the LDS Church and a stake patriarch is authorized to give a patriarchal blessing. Chad was not authorized to give the blessings.
1:50 p.m. Blake references the calls made to the funeral home. She asks Duncan if she recognized the voice on the call. He says yes – Chad Daybell. Duncan says on the call, Chad said he intended to send the cremains to Louisiana. Duncan never found any indication Chad was in Iowa even though he said he was on the phone call.
1:48 p.m. Jurors have taken their seats. Det. Nathan Duncan will be back on the stand this afternoon. We will be in session until 3:30 p.m. with no afternoon break.
1:45 p.m. The motion hearing is over. Jurors will now be brought in.
1:43 p.m. Boyce says the court has already ruled that Wood will not be called. Absent some really surprising development, Boyce says Wood will not be called as a witness.
1:42 p.m. Boyce is denying the motion to exclude the exhibit but says he will be watching carefully if there is any relevance to the testimony of Gibb. He says attorneys are entitled to talk with witnesses and get ready for trial – not to change their testimony or not tell the truth but help them.

1:40 p.m. Boyce explains some evidence can be excluded if it is inflammatory and its up to the court to determine relevance to the case. Boyce says he has not gone through the messages between Wood and Gibb. He says without knowing what is in them, he can’t make a ruling completely eliminating it. He says the whole might or might not be relevant. He can’t say until Gibb testifies.

1:38 p.m. Prior again says he does not intend to call Mr. Wood and he isn’t planning a scheme to call him. “It sounds a little paranoid to me,” he says.

1:37 p.m. Prior says Gibb is “the witness” in this case and her testimony is crucial in the state trying to prove its case. He says he’s allowed to ask her about communication between her and Wood.

1:35 p.m. Blake says if the proper foundation is laid, witnesses can be asked about the messages. Prior says Idaho code allows him to ask witnesses about their communication with the prosecuting attorney.

1:33 p.m. Boyce asks for additional argument from the state about the exhibit – the communication between Wood and Gibb. Blake says the state is not trying to stop the defense from conducting appropriate cross examination. She says the concerns are about any attempt from the defense to misconstrue the content of testimony.

1:31 p.m. Prior says if Gibb remembers her conversations with Wood, he doesn’t need to admit the messages. If she doesn’t, he can admit the messages to refresh her memory. Boyce reminds Prior that a subpoena for Wood was quashed before the trial began.

1:30 p.m. Prior reaffirms he does not intend on calling Wood. He says when Melanie Gibb is called, he is going to question her about the contact he has had with Wood and the nature of those discussions. “I have copy of all the emails and I can question her.”

1:29 p.m. Prior says there is one defense attorney and four prosecuting attorneys. He says he gave them notice three weeks ago of all of his exhibits and they are filing a last minute hearing to keep the exhibit out. Prior says he doesn’t appreciate their tactics.

1:26 p.m. Prior says the state is trying to circumvent Idaho code regarding witnesses and evidence. He says when a prosecuting attorney engages in discussion with a witnesses over eight months and 340 texts, it can create concerns.

1:23 p.m. Prior says he has no desire to put Wood on the stand. Boyce clarifies that he does not intend to call Wood. Prior says he does not intend to call him. Prior says the state gave him 342 emails and texts between Wood and Melanie Gibb regarding the case.

Last edited:
My interpretation of 1.23 - 1.43 pm above is that perhaps MG was coached in her testimony. What do you all think?
Reading most recent post first. Have read or seen little on anything yesterday so you defining the time in all the tweets helped me look at what you are referring to. I did k now there was something going on about Wood being called in relatoin to Gibb.

Since not fully informed but I don't think any of us know and the judge hasn't read either, and I certainly am behind, my takeaway Is first that is a LOT of emails. A LOT. Would he be stupid enough to coach by email? Also who is initiating them, Wood or Gibb? It's different but I can tell you if I could have, I'd have spoke to our detective five times a day, every day of every week for months with concerns and questions. That's not our prosecutor though, but the detective. However, could I have done so with the prosecutor, I likely would have as well. But also my position was that of Gibb, w were victim family members.

My daughter was prepped for trial by prosecutor AND I think had access as we came up to it to talk with, perhaps email, I don't know and would not know how much, she was a witness, not with presence but as to him, and with relation to him. So it isn't odd to me, however, that is a LOT of emails.

I am as anyone knows pro prosecution and anti defense generally but when it is clear of course defendant is guilty which I think none of us have doubts that Chad is. HOWEVER I am NOT a Mel Gibb fan either. She is one of those necessary snakes to get the head of the mamba snake. And that's Chad. And to help get Mrs. Mamba and that was Lori. She saved herself and if she could would probably help Lori, not so sure about Chad. I feel the tone in Lori's was to make Chad the bad guy but she didn't dare go too far.

Everything in Lori's was easy, there was NO DEFENSE put on. Mel P somehow managed to not have to testify and she too is a big wild card here. I don't think either side dared in Lori's, well Archibald again was allowed no defense by Lori so why would he. She is the most cunning evil thing that is all rolled into a talking circular candy wouldn't melt in her sweet mouth type.

But Mel G is her own type of liar. Oh I think most is true what she has given on Chad and Lori but we have far from all. The woman offered nothing that she did not HAVE to and she knows more than we know. And I think witnessed more as well.

I'd bet all of them are watching and not supposed to be. David was during Lori's and if I recall Mel P was and this outright made them problems for testifying.

But that's not your question.

I don't think anyone can argue that IS a LOT of emails. You'd be stupid though to coach with them and in them. And we are talking a minimum of two charged defendants and a lot of charges and over time so in that sense is it a lot? I don't know. And in cases that have had lots of publicity, included the DP, were going to go to trial and then delayed or DP taken off, trials together, trials severed, etc. and she is a key witness. She isn't the only witness by any means or the be all end all but she is a key one. Maybe I don't mean witness so much as all the other evidence they have from phones, interviews of suspects, statements of Chad and Lori themselves to LE when kids being looked for and a ton more.

I'd add that does prosecution get to see communications between Prior and Chad? Of course not, attorney client priivilege. They sure though just like this should get to see any communication or prep of any wtiness THEY have like Chad's children. And one knows they have been prepped. And Emma particularly has been a very good and studious and attentive attendee I'm sure til she has it down pat.

REading this long day's tweets. So Duncan recommended charges for Chad re Charles death. Now THAT is interesting... I can see why he wasn't charged in that one but I also think there is more we don't know and can't come in etc. Prior dwelling on Chad not being charged in Charles' death I don't get because it does not help Chad to open that door even other than his trying to show it was Alex and Lori because it is also now slipping in how they were in touch and so on at that time over it. Reading all again of Chad's patriarchal blessing to Alex was also quite the reminder and shows who this guy thinks he is and that it was Alex's time to go and he would know when uhm yep. Sure. Some of what HE is bringing up I think can hurt his client rather than help but I guess that's a double edged sword for them as well...

So Lori was getting almost 6K a month from SS. That alone is freaking outrageous.

I could live the rest of my life high off the hog on that and no need for the life insurance either AND help other people with it.

The bank change was Lori doing it or was it Tylee and Lori was going to lose hers? We know she would lost it when Tylee became of age...

There is much that is not coming in here that is known or that no one can possibly Tweet all of and of course I don't have time to watch the full proceedings and pretty sure no one is or can day to day.

And then keep collecting Tylee's after she turned 18 and no reporting of marriage, death, missing, address change/S! Many. Talk about fraud.

Did she have to jump through any hoops to get the caregiver benefit after Charles died? Apparently not. With regards to JJ I mean. Of course this is where things and agencies never connect. He just died, they were married, so she of course was then the caregiver I suppose and that's all the SS had to look at or not look at. She certainly I think could fill out forms and navigate the system when it came to collecting but seemed clueless of informing them of all the things she is required to otherwise. Uh-huh.

Of course Prior points out this was all Lori and not Chad.

Anyhow did read all the tweets and caught up just that much. Another early one today. I think I got four hours sleep and that's the most this week so I feel very well rested. Lol. That's a lot all others have been well under that.

All of this is very interesting to me! No funny business “that we know of.” Chad gives Alex his blessing and says basically that he’s done with his work and then he dies right afterwards? And no funny business? I will never ever believe that Alex died of natural causes. Never.
You and I agree wholeheartedly on that one. It is a NEVER EVER for me as well.

You and I agree wholeheartedly on that one. It is a NEVER EVER for me as well.
And Nate reminded us last night that Alex was cremated. This is strange to me because my mom‘s family are Mormon and they don’t believe in cremation. I think that’s why Tammy wasn’t cremated. Has it been reported who made the decision to cremate Alex‘s remains? Maybe that’s part of the criteria of Chad’s “church of the first born.”

And Nate reminded us last night that Alex was cremated. This is strange to me because my mom‘s family are Mormon and they don’t believe in cremation. I think that’s why Tammy wasn’t cremated. Has it been reported who made the decision to cremate Alex‘s remains? Maybe that’s part of the criteria of Chad’s “church of the first born.”
I would imagine it would be Zulema who made that decision, as NOK.

Wednesday 17th trial update 1.

LIVE UPDATES FROM THE CHAD DAYBELL TRIAL​

Excuse the typos – these are live updates from the courtroom
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE TRIAL LIVE
10:08 a.m.
Boyce says we are going to take 30 minute morning break. We will continue until noon after the break.
10:03 a.m. Alex began purchasing firearms in Aug. 2019. He had not bought firearms before, Kunsaitis says. Wood asks Kunsaitis if there was a reason listed for Alex getting the $21,000 loan. Alex listed “medical reasons.” Kunsaitis says he never found any medical documents regarding Alex’s health during this time.
10:01 a.m. Kunsaitis says Alex was responsible on his main bank account and made payments to his credit card from this account. Alex worked in Arizona and got 2-3 paychecks a month. He quit his job when he moved to Idaho. Just before he quit his job, he got a loan for $21,000 on Aug. 8. He had no regular income after the move to Idaho because he didn’t have a job.
10 a.m. Alex also had a Mercury Mastercard and two Capital One credit cards. He opened up an account at Mountain America Credit Union when he moved to Rexburg. The next exhibit is a consumer loan application for a 2017 Ford F150 pickup truck in the name of Alex Cox.
9:57 a.m. Kunsaitis says he also reviewed the financial information for Alex Cox. Wood shows a financial account attribution list related to Alex. He has an everyday account at Desert Financial Credit Union and had a “decent” account balance, Kunsaitis says.
9:55 a.m. Kunsaitis points out that on the application, the reason for leaving her prior home is her daughter is attending BYU-Idaho. It says Tylee graduated at 16 and was too young to live alone so Lori was coming with her. Lori listed her income as Social Security – over $5,000.
9:53 a.m. A document is displayed on the screen showing the business agreement with Chrysler concerning the Jeep. The following exhibit is the rental agreement Lori signed for the Pioneer Road apartment.
9:51 a.m. The next document is Alex Cox’s application for a Barclay’s credit card. Wood moves to admit two business record affidavits.
9:48 a.m. We now see purchases Lori made on the credit card showing she bought airfare for Tylee Ryan and one of Tylee’s friends from Phoenix to Lihue on Kauai. Lori also bought a plane ticket for Chad Daybell to go from Idaho Falls to Phoenix in March 2019.
9:46 a.m. The airline ticket purchase was made during the time Tammy Daybell was alive. Wood displays a new document showing Alex Cox’s monthly credit card statement. Alex and Lori shared the account. At the bottom of the page, there is an airfare purchase for Lori between Mesa/Phoenix and Idaho Falls on Feb. 25, 2019. Idaho Falls airport is the closest airport to Chad’s home.
9:42 a.m. The next few documents are Barclay’s credit card applications for Lori and Charles from 2015 and 2016. The next exhibit shows transaction activity on the credit card belonging to Lori and Charles. There is a payment to Valley of the Sun mortuary on the credit card made the day after Charles was shot and killed. There is another transaction for an Allegiant airline ticket for Chad Daybell from Provo, Utah to Mesa, Arizona.
9:40 a.m. Larry and Kay Woodcock are sitting alone in the victim section of the courtroom today. Kay has her hand on Larry’s shoulder.
9:38 a.m. Kunsaitis says there was money was going into Tylee’s account from Lori’s account. The money was then immediately Venmoed out to Colby Ryan. The next exhibit is a copy of the receipt at Costa Vida in Rexburg on Sept. 2019. Another page shows a purchase at Costa Vida in Ammon on Oct. 7, 2019.
9:36 a.m. All other transactions in connection to this account were done online, Kunsaitis says. The next page shows transaction history on Tylee’s account from Aug. through Jan. 2020. Kunsaitis says this activity is completely opposite of what Tylee was using on her JP Chase account. Everything was done online with the exception of Sept. 17 at Costa Vida and another purchase on Oct. 7.
9:33 a.m. A new exhibit is a summary showing Tylee and Lori’s BBVA account. It was opened Aug. 19, 2019. The following exhibit is a translation history of Tylee’s BBVA account. Kunsaitis says Tylee was not receiving any deposits from Social Security. All the deposits were from her mom. The transactions show the bank card was used along the move from Arizona to Utah.
9:28 a.m. The next exhibit is a chart showing JJ’s Social Security benefits being deposited into Lori’s account. Total amount after JJ’s last proof of life was $7,835.
9:26 a.m. After the account change happened, $7,465 of Tylee’s benefits went into Lori’s account.
9:23 a.m. Wood admits another exhibit. It’s a chart showing Tylee’s Social Security benefits deposit history. It shows deposits going into Tylee’s account but then the deposits start going into Lori’s account after Tylee’s death.
9:20 a.m. Two deposits were made into Lori’s account in Sept. 2019 – one for JJ’s benefits and one for Lori’s benefits. Wood asks if the deposit date is significant to Kunsaitis. He gets emotional and says, “JJ was killed a few days later.”
9:19 a.m. Tylee’s benefits were deposited on Aug. 28, 2019 in the BBVA account. Kunsaitis says police believe Tylee was killed ten days later.
9:16 a.m. Wood moves to admit more financial documents. Kunsaitis talking about Lori’s BBVA account and we see a sample portion of monthly statements.
9:12 a.m. The next exhibit is a checking summary showing a zero balance on Tylee’s JP Morgan Chase account for anything after Sept. 20. The following exhibit is a signature card application page for JP Chase for Charles and Lori Vallow.
9:10 a.m. Tylee and Lori each had their own individual PINs. If either them made changes to the account, it would indicate who was doing the changes based on their PIN login. This account was closed on Sept. 20, 2019.
9:07 a.m. The next exhibit is a document showing Lori’s online bank activity on Tylee’s account. Many of the jurors are looking intently at the screens in front of them as Kunsaitis points out different items on the document.
9:05 a.m. Kunsaitis says in the middle of August, Lori contacted Social Security and stopped having the monthly stipends deposited into Tylee’s account. The deposits were switched to Lori’s personal account. There were no more funds going into Tylee’s account. The next exhibit shows a statement saying Tylee’s ending balance was zero. The money was transferred to Lori’s account.
9:03 a.m. The next document is a partial monthly statement showing Aug. 23, 2019 – Sept. 3, 2019 from Tylee Ryan’s account. Through August, she is actively out spending money. Toward the first of September, it shows Tylee’s financial activities moving from Arizona to Idaho. Her last in-person use of her card was done at McDonald’s in St. George, Utah on Sept. 1.
9:02 a.m. Kunsaitis says the majority of Tylee’s spending happened at brick and mortar type of establishments. There were a few online payments but she was physically out spending money.
9:01 a.m. The next document shows Tylee’s activity on the bank account. She uses it regularly. The death benefits she got following her father’s death goes into this account. She was spending money at stores, fast food, gas stations on an almost daily basis.
8:59 a.m. We now see a document showing the history of deposits, transfers and debits on the Chase account belonging to Lori and Charles. The next document is the signature card on the JP Morgan Chase application belonging to Lori and Tylee.
8:56 a.m. Wood moves to admit another exhibit. It has several pages. The first page is an electronic signature card document for the JP Morgan Chase account. Charles and Lori used this account in Arizona and it interacts with Tylee’s joint account when they send money between accounts.
8:50 a.m. Wood displays an exhibit on the screen. It is a list of financial accounts associated to Lori and Tylee. The first account on the list is from JP Chase – a joint account with Lori and Charles. There is another JP Chase account with Lori and Tylee. There is a business account with Lori and Charles. There is also a BBA Compass account for Lori and there is another BBVA Compass account with Tylee and Lori. There is a Barclays Hawaiian credit card that Lori shared with Charles. There is a Barclays credit card between Lori and Alex. There is a First Hawaiian Bank account for Lori and a Chase Southwest card for Lori. There is another business account for Charles and a $2 million life insurance policy for Lori.
8:48 a.m. Kunsaitis says in a missing person case, a lot of information can be learned by looking at bank statements and financial accounts.
8:46 a.m. There were cell phone bills, bank statements and letters from IRS in the post office box. Some abandoned mail from apt. 107 was also turned into the police department. Kunsaitis served warrants and subpoenas to banks and cell phone companies.
8:45 a.m. Kunsaitis went to the storage unit with a warrant. He found a couple of items inside – a tote, a baseball glove and some other things. Kunsaitis wrote a warrant in Dec. 2019 for a post office box in Sugar City. He found a large bundle of unopened mail – around 100 pieces – addressed to Lori Vallow, Charles Vallow and Alex Cox.
8:42 a.m. Kunsaitis has been a detective since 2011. On Nov. 27, 2019, Kunsaitis became aware that Det. Hermosillo was conducted searching warrants at three townhomes on Pioneer Road: 174, 175 and 107. Kunsaitis walked through apartment 175 to look for evidence. He found a printer in the bedroom and an invoice for a storage unit at Self Storage Plus.
8:40 a.m. Det. Kunsaitis is sworn in. Wood will be questioning him and says he has a lot of evidence he plans to discuss with the detective. The bailiff carries a large tote full of binders and paperwork to the witness stand.
8:39 a.m. Boyce says a question has arisen about who the alternate jurors will be. He says according to Idaho law, when the case is ready for deliberation, the alternate jurors will be randomly selected.
8:37 a.m. Jurors are in their seats. John Prior is at the defense table sitting next to Chad Daybell. Chad is wearing a blue dress shirt with a red tie. Fremont County Prosecutor Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecutor Rob Wood, Special Prosecutor Ingrid Batey and Fremont County Deputy Prosecutor Rocky Wixom are at the prosecution table.
8:30 a.m. We are back in the courtroom for day 5 of Chad Daybell’s trial. Rexburg Police Det. Chuck Kunsaitis will be the first witness called by the prosecution today.
chuck

READ LIVE UPDATES WATCH TRIAL HERE

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back