Joe Boever killed by Jason Ravnsborg in car crash - accident or murder?

South Dakota AG struck, killed a pedestrian with car; initially said he thought he hit a deer

Sept 14
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg told authorities he thought he hit a deer on Saturday night when he struck and killed a pedestrian with his vehicle.

Joseph Boever, 55, of Highmore, South Dakota, was killed after being struck by Ravnsborg's Ford Taurus, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said. The state attorney general called authorities after the crash, telling them he thought he had hit a deer, the state Highway Patrol said.

The incident happened on U.S. Highway 14 at 10:30 p.m. local time Saturday. Boever's body was discovered Sunday morning, according to the South Dakota Highway Patrol release.

The news release doesn't say how long it took Ravnsborg to report the crash

Documents: South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg has history of speeding

Ravnsborg, who was elected as the state's Attorney General in 2018, has six speeding infractions between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, according to a background check. He pleaded guilty to all of them and paid fines ranging from $19 to $79. He also has received two speeding tickets in Iowa.

Ravnsborg was also cited on a seat belt violation out of Brown County in March 2017 and driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system out of Yankton County in August 2015. He paid a $25 fine and a $54 fine in those cases, respectively.

1601066468171.png

Family speaks out after man killed in crash involving Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg

HIGHMORE — Victor Nemec knew something was wrong when he went to pick up his cousin Joe Boever Sunday morning at his home in Highmore.

The two had planned to go fix Boever's truck, which had been damaged when Boever hit a hay bale in the ditch the evening prior. Victor said his cousin had told him he went off the road while reaching for his tobacco. But when Nemec arrived, Boever was nowhere to be found.

His house was unlocked with all the lights on. Concerned, Nemec called the Hyde County Sheriff.

welve hours later, he and his brother Nick Nemec were in a Highmore funeral home identifying Boever's body.

Boever, 55, was killed in a crash late Saturday involving South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg.

More:Attorney General releases statement regarding his role in fatal crash

It was announced in a Sunday evening press release from Gov. Kristi Noem that Ravnsborg had been involved in the fatal wreck, though few details were released.

The South Dakota Highway Patrol confirmed that Ravnsborg was involved in the crash that killed Boever Saturday night, according to a news release issued Monday morning. Ravnsborg initially reported the crash to the Hyde County Sheriff's Office that he thought he had hit a deer.

Boever's body was not discovered until Sunday morning, the release states.

The investigation is ongoing and being led by the Highway Patrol.

But in Victor Nemec's eyes, it's a simpler story.

“The attorney general hit my cousin as he was walking down the side of the road and killed him,” he said.

Incoming Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg addresses supporters Tuesday, Nov. 6, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Sioux Falls.

Victor said at some point Saturday evening, Boever must have decided not to wait for his help and began walking to his truck.

That’s when he was killed while walking along Highway 14 west of Highmore.

Tony Mangan, spokesperson for the Highway Patrol, said at the direction of the governor, the Highway Patrol is leading the investigation. The attorney general’s office said investigators from North Dakota are also in South Dakota and assisting in the crash investigation due to the conflict created by Ravnsborg’s role overseeing the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation.

Tim Bormann, chief of staff in the attorney general’s office, told the Argus Leader via email Monday that Ravnsborg was traveling alone at the time of the crash. He was uninjured.

Ravnsborg attended a GOP dinner at a bar before he reported hitting a deer on his 110-mile drive home when he actually struck and killed a man. Photos posted on the Spink County Republicans' Facebook page show Ravnsborg sitting near the stage at the small Republican fundraiser at Rooster's Bar and Grill in Redfield Saturday night, hours before he hit 55-year-old Boever with his vehicle. Witnesses at the fundraiser have vouched for the Attorney General, saying they didn't see him drinking alcohol and that he did not seem 'impaired in any way shape or form'.

The South Dakota Attorney General who recently was involved in a fatal accident has previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding and traffic violations.

His Facebook account reveals photos he has taken or stills of dash cam video while driving. He has received at least eight speeding tickets, eight within a four-year period.

Ravnsborg attended a GOP dinner at a bar before he reported hitting a deer on his 110-mile drive home when he actually struck and killed a man. Photos posted on the Spink County Republicans' Facebook page show Ravnsborg sitting near the stage at the small Republican fundraiser at Rooster's Bar and Grill in Redfield Saturday night, hours before he hit 55-year-old Boever with his vehicle. Witnesses at the fundraiser have vouched for the Attorney General, saying they didn't see him drinking alcohol and that he did not seem 'impaired in any way shape or form'.

South Dakota AG who told cops he hit a deer when he actually killed a man previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding tickets and traffic violations
  • South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg hit and killed Joe Boever while driving near Highmore on Saturday night
  • Ravnsborg first told sheriffs when he called 911 that he believed he hit a deer
  • The Attorney General had been driving back to his home in Pierre after attending a Republican fundraising event 110 miles away
  • New documents reveal Ravnsborg has received eight speeding tickets, six between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, and two in Iowa
  • He also has received two violations, including one for not wearing a seat belt and another for driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system
  • Ravnsborg has also posted multiple pictures on Facebook of roads where it is clear he is behind the wheel including from May 2018 and October 2019

South Dakota AG struck, killed a pedestrian with car; initially said he thought he hit a deer

Sept 14
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg told authorities he thought he hit a deer on Saturday night when he struck and killed a pedestrian with his vehicle.

Joseph Boever, 55, of Highmore, South Dakota, was killed after being struck by Ravnsborg's Ford Taurus, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said. The state attorney general called authorities after the crash, telling them he thought he had hit a deer, the state Highway Patrol said.

The incident happened on U.S. Highway 14 at 10:30 p.m. local time Saturday. Boever's body was discovered Sunday morning, according to the South Dakota Highway Patrol release.

The news release doesn't say how long it took Ravnsborg to report the crash

Documents: South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg has history of speeding

Ravnsborg, who was elected as the state's Attorney General in 2018, has six speeding infractions between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, according to a background check. He pleaded guilty to all of them and paid fines ranging from $19 to $79. He also has received two speeding tickets in Iowa.

Ravnsborg was also cited on a seat belt violation out of Brown County in March 2017 and driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system out of Yankton County in August 2015. He paid a $25 fine and a $54 fine in those cases, respectively.

View attachment 6963

Family speaks out after man killed in crash involving Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg

HIGHMORE — Victor Nemec knew something was wrong when he went to pick up his cousin Joe Boever Sunday morning at his home in Highmore.

The two had planned to go fix Boever's truck, which had been damaged when Boever hit a hay bale in the ditch the evening prior. Victor said his cousin had told him he went off the road while reaching for his tobacco. But when Nemec arrived, Boever was nowhere to be found.

His house was unlocked with all the lights on. Concerned, Nemec called the Hyde County Sheriff.

welve hours later, he and his brother Nick Nemec were in a Highmore funeral home identifying Boever's body.

Boever, 55, was killed in a crash late Saturday involving South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg.

More:Attorney General releases statement regarding his role in fatal crash

It was announced in a Sunday evening press release from Gov. Kristi Noem that Ravnsborg had been involved in the fatal wreck, though few details were released.

The South Dakota Highway Patrol confirmed that Ravnsborg was involved in the crash that killed Boever Saturday night, according to a news release issued Monday morning. Ravnsborg initially reported the crash to the Hyde County Sheriff's Office that he thought he had hit a deer.

Boever's body was not discovered until Sunday morning, the release states.

The investigation is ongoing and being led by the Highway Patrol.

But in Victor Nemec's eyes, it's a simpler story.

“The attorney general hit my cousin as he was walking down the side of the road and killed him,” he said.

Incoming Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg addresses supporters Tuesday, Nov. 6, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Sioux Falls.

Victor said at some point Saturday evening, Boever must have decided not to wait for his help and began walking to his truck.

That’s when he was killed while walking along Highway 14 west of Highmore.

Tony Mangan, spokesperson for the Highway Patrol, said at the direction of the governor, the Highway Patrol is leading the investigation. The attorney general’s office said investigators from North Dakota are also in South Dakota and assisting in the crash investigation due to the conflict created by Ravnsborg’s role overseeing the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation.

Tim Bormann, chief of staff in the attorney general’s office, told the Argus Leader via email Monday that Ravnsborg was traveling alone at the time of the crash. He was uninjured.

The South Dakota Attorney General who recently was involved in a fatal accident has previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding and traffic violations.

His Facebook account reveals photos he has taken or stills of dash cam video while driving. He has received at least eight speeding tickets, eight within a four-year period.

South Dakota AG who told cops he hit a deer when he actually killed a man previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding tickets and traffic violations
  • South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg hit and killed Joe Boever while driving near Highmore on Saturday night
  • Ravnsborg first told sheriffs when he called 911 that he believed he hit a deer
  • The Attorney General had been driving back to his home in Pierre after attending a Republican fundraising event 110 miles away
  • New documents reveal Ravnsborg has received eight speeding tickets, six between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, and two in Iowa
  • He also has received two violations, including one for not wearing a seat belt and another for driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system
  • Ravnsborg has also posted multiple pictures on Facebook of roads where it is clear he is behind the wheel including from May 2018 and October 2019

I think it's very possible he knew he hit a man, but was DUI at the time.

especially when he states that he called 911. Who calls 911 when they just hit a deer and their car is ok? Wouldn't that be considered a waste of resources? What's the emergency if it was "just a deer"? I'm not buying it.
I don't think most people are buying it. The fact also is he did not know WHAT he hit because clearly he was wrong about what he hit and yet as you say, he called it in, knowing he hit SOMETHING.

I don't think most people are buying it. The fact also is he did not know WHAT he hit because clearly he was wrong about what he hit and yet as you say, he called it in, knowing he hit SOMETHING.
when you travel through the sticks like he did often, you are not going to call 911 just because you hit a deer and you and your vehicle are ok to travel. You call 911 and say you hit a deer and they are not going to send anybody out. What did he expect them to do when they got there if it was just a deer?

when you travel through the sticks like he did often, you are not going to call 911 just because you hit a deer and you and your vehicle are ok to travel. You call 911 and say you hit a deer and they are not going to send anybody out. What did he expect them to do when they got there if it was just a deer?
I don't know and I think it is all hinky but there are people who do report such things both for a log, an accident report, insurance. There are states that go pick them up (if they can find the deer) or if they are in the way of traffic (albeit not immediately, at least ours doesn't do it too quickly--or move them off the road anyhow and out of the way of traffic, that can be road workers even). In his position, he could have felt the need so no one can later say how did you damage your car, what is going on, what are you hiding, etc. I have no idea if it was his own vehicle or he is provided one, that would I guess be another consideration that maybe a report needed to be made. None of this do I believe is the reason most likely but to play devil's advocate, these reasons could apply...

However, I agree generally and my speculation only, it was a butt covering most likely so no one could say he left the scene of an accident without reporting one... He just didn't know ya see... It doesn't really fly though... If you don't know what you hit...

I know a woman who just last year hit a deer in another midwest state, she was actually texting with me while she waited for State Patrol (for a long time) afterwards. She was highly upset and very shaken and had never hit one before in her (older than I) years. So... I guess all differ... I came close once or twice and went my entire life with never hitting one until maybe five years ago I glanced once off the corner of the car but it got up and ran off. I was shook up but moved on, deer was on the move, I did worry whether it would survive, I checked my car, nothing bad enough I was going to turn in. Of course, however, that was in broad daylight, no one was hurt or involved other than I and I knew and saw full well what I hit.

They often in our area are not reported either because they are common and for other reasons. Some states though they do report or pull right over and wait even for officers... Or at least the woman I know did and that was Indiana so apparently she felt it required, I never asked if it was required. Technically here I believe the law actually is any accident over $500 in damage is supposed to be reported, of course they aren't always by any means...

I don't know and I think it is all hinky but there are people who do report such things both for a log, an accident report, insurance. There are states that go pick them up (if they can find the deer) or if they are in the way of traffic (albeit not immediately, at least ours doesn't do it too quickly--or move them off the road anyhow and out of the way of traffic, that can be road workers even). In his position, he could have felt the need so no one can later say how did you damage your car, what is going on, what are you hiding, etc. I have no idea if it was his own vehicle or he is provided one, that would I guess be another consideration that maybe a report needed to be made. None of this do I believe is the reason most likely but to play devil's advocate, these reasons could apply...

However, I agree generally and my speculation only, it was a butt covering most likely so no one could say he left the scene of an accident without reporting one... He just didn't know ya see... It doesn't really fly though... If you don't know what you hit...

I know a woman who just last year hit a deer in another midwest state, she was actually texting with me while she waited for State Patrol (for a long time) afterwards. She was highly upset and very shaken and had never hit one before in her (older than I) years. So... I guess all differ... I came close once or twice and went my entire life with never hitting one until maybe five years ago I glanced once off the corner of the car but it got up and ran off. I was shook up but moved on, deer was on the move, I did worry whether it would survive, I checked my car, nothing bad enough I was going to turn in. Of course, however, that was in broad daylight, no one was hurt or involved other than I and I knew and saw full well what I hit.

They often in our area are not reported either because they are common and for other reasons. Some states though they do report or pull right over and wait even for officers... Or at least the woman I know did and that was Indiana so apparently she felt it required, I never asked if it was required. Technically here I believe the law actually is any accident over $500 in damage is supposed to be reported, of course they aren't always by any means...
reported vs calling 911 though

more on Joe Boever death - reports, statements
IMO this case stinks

View attachment 6995
I would go so far as to say it reeks and I don't care what side of the political spectrum one is on. Hopefully an independent investigation will show that. May be hard to prove though.

Let's just start with the sheriff letting him take the SHERIFF'S car HOME??? Would any average person get that option? Maybe rarely with an understanding deputy or officer, a RIDE home but to take the car?? Nothing special for privilege there now is there...?

As far as pics, I can understand not letting someone get in the way of an accident reconstruction because that is a big thing, but if they are not in the way, then what law prevents pictures?

more on Joe Boever death - reports, statements
IMO this case stinks

View attachment 6995
Just because these say they didn't see him drink anything, did anybody actually ask the server? Get receipts/tab? Seems easy enough to.prove or disprove

Just because these say they didn't see him drink anything, did anybody actually ask the server? Get receipts/tab? Seems easy enough to.prove or disprove
One would think so but without going into it, I have seen many things where you would be surprised that all of a sudden nope, no evidence of such. Other patrons remember no drinks, etc. and had very few themselves. And that is with us average joes not even someone in a position such as his who if drinking, was quite possibly covering the fact anyhow... Liability even on the bar and server in some states...

It is just my opinion but even if they could get that bar tab (if there is one for him at such a fundraiser or local event) and it was accurate, it would still be a long road to prove his condition, that he drank every drink, etc...

I keep thinking that we all know the main reason people generally leave a scene is to both sober up whether drugs, drink, etc., or clean your car of liquor bottles, cans, drugs... Another reason I guess would be if driving without a license or something on that order... OR, if he KNEW, sheer panic that he killed someone and was going to be in huge trouble. As for the reason of sobering up, sadly it tends to work and then they have to get the person for leaving a scene as a DUI is more difficult at that point to prove...

As sad as it is, proving his condition I think will be an uphill battle but a witness at the bar and a bar tab would be a start, I agree. I would think an investigation would also entail did he stop at any other watering hole along the way there or back, a liquor store, etc...

Just going by what we know, I think the biggest thing they have here that they may be able to get close to determining is that he knew he hit someone... And that this was a cover up. And that he knew it was not a deer. IF they can prove that or get close with the circumstantial evidence and accident reconstruction.

He saw this man, he almost had to have seen him with a huge hole in the passenger side of the window... Imo. Again, I think the bigger case and the best bet is he knew he hit someone and this was all a cover up with help... (if it was)... Think about it, a body, whether man or deer strikes hard enough to shatter your window but then the body ends up far from where anyone can see it that night or find it--not the driver nor the sheriff? I am no physics expert nor fan but I just can't quite picture that... If the AG did not have a good light, the sheriff would no? They need them at night all of the time. And headlights on top of it.

This was also a mile from a town as the Daily Mail article says and the area was lit by street lamps. This victim hit and blew out a window but bounced back far enough into a ditch that no one saw him or found him nor any evidence of him or a deer for that matter? The window gave in, it did not push back... The street lamps also make it even more likely the driver should have seen the individual as he was driving towards him in that direction... That does seem to lend towards non attention and condition of driver...

I think one thing is fairly logical here and that is that speed was definitely a factor. A good unbiased accident reconstructionalist should be able to show if the body could bounce that far, etc... Unless they try to claim the man was alive and stumbled away that far but not seeing that would make little sense either or hearing him...

Just some random thoughts. Don't mean to tie up this thread, is there enough interest in this case to make a thread I wonder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back