ISABEL CELIS & MARIBEL GONZALES: Arizona vs. Christopher Clements for murder of girls in 2012 & 2014 *GUILTY*

1603849959143.png

Isabel was 6 years old when she vanished from her parents' east-side home in April 2012. Maribel was 13 years old when she went disappeared while walking to a friend’s house in 2014.

Maribel's body was found a few days after she went missing. Isabel's remains were not located until March 2017.

Defense urges separate trials in Tucson child murders​

Attorneys for Christopher Clements, the man charged in the murders of six-year-old Isabel Celis and 13 year old Maribel Gonzalez are trying to have the cases broken into separate trials.

Six-year-old Isabel Celis and 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez disappeared about two years apart. Maribel Gonzalez body was found three days after she was reported missing. Five years went by before the remains of Isabel Celis were found and identified. Because they were juveniles the attorneys refer to the girls as I-C and M-B.

Christopher Clements was not in court for this latest hearing.

Prosecutors say the two cases tie together and tie to Christopher Clements because when Clements tried to bargain his way out of some unrelated charges, he led investigators to Celis remains in a remote part of Avra Valley.

They were less than a mile from where Maribel Gonzalez body was found. Investigators say they found traces of Clements DNA on the older girl’s body.

Clements attorneys are trying to convince Superior Court Judge Deborah Bernini it’s not fair to try Clements for both murders in one trial. They argue Clements wants to testify in his own defense in the Celis case.

Defense attorney Joseph DiRoberto says, “It’s imperative that he testify in counts one through three. He has to explain how he led investigators to I-C’s remains back in 2017. He has to explain that. He has to take the stand and explain that.”

But if he does testify, and the two murders are in one trial, he would be vulnerable to prosecutors’ questions in Maribel Gonzalez murder while he’s on the witness stand.

Prosecutors argue similar crimes and similar locations for the remains tie the case together.

Judge Bernini did not rule right away. She will take some time to decide on the issue of separate trials and on a separate issue on what evidence jurors will be able to consider.

1603850122296.png

Suspected child killer's retrial could start in September​

The retrial of Christopher Clements in the Isabel Celis murder case is scheduled to start Sept. 12, but News 4 Tucson learned Monday it could be pushed back until early next year.

Clements was in court Monday for a status conference, sitting beside one of his lawyers.

A pre-trial hearing on a separate matter involving Order of Discovery and what evidence can be presented at trial is set for June 26.

One of the defendant's lawyers may have a conflicting case up in Phoenix in September which could postpone the trial several months.

Clements will be back in court for a status conference on July 10.

The other possible start date for the retrial is Feb. 6, 2024.
Oh look, another case trying for another delay. Lawyers should learn how to schedule and not take on more cases than they can handle but one never sees that, one of many reasons for constant delays or so they use as an excuse anyhow...

Oh look, another case trying for another delay. Lawyers should learn how to schedule and not take on more cases than they can handle but one never sees that, one of many reasons for constant delays or so they use as an excuse anyhow...
One of the defendants attorneys may have a schedule conflict. Since they are public defenders I presume it's the State that needs to hire more attorneys to prevent this issue. jmoo

One of the defendants attorneys may have a schedule conflict. Since they are public defenders I presume it's the State that needs to hire more attorneys to prevent this issue. jmoo
A lot of states do a rotation type system for public defenders, so schedule conflicts are inevitable since some drawn might already have cases scheduled.

I get your points but this was already tried and this is a retrial and there is a further possible date it may be pushed to which is in 2024! There shouldn't be much prep to do, just finding a niche in time to have a trial.

Also in our state when it is a murder defendant they don't use the public defenders from the public defender's office nor the normal ones in the rotation.. They have to give them an attorney who has defended murder charges before and simiilar ones with experience at it. Almost without fail these attorneys have full staff and resources.

I think the fact he has a case in Tuscon and one in Phoenix that may cause conflict show he isn't probably a public defender at least not the typical one. Tuscon is in Pima County and Phoenix in Maricopa County. In our state, each county has a PD office although if they provide a private one for a murderer, they may get one from out of county as often small counties with small towns don't have much for murder rates and so no experienced murder trial lawyer. Our perp was given one from another county with a bigger county seat/city.

Attorneys play often that they are booked up with it not being true. I have seen it personally and even had it done for me personally (not recently), getting a delay by claiiming a conflict that doesn't exist. It goes on ALL of the time.

Finally, the article says this:

One of the defendant's lawyers may have a conflicting case up in Phoenix in September which could postpone the trial several months.

Clements will be back in court for a status conference on July 10.

The other possible start date for the retrial is Feb. 6, 2024.

It is only ONE of his lawyers and with no info at all how many days the other one is scheduled for and is the other one even a TRIAL and how long is it scheduled for? is it even a murder trial? Which takes precedence or should? And wouldn't be a surprise if he can or has postponed that one a time or two either and may again.

I could go on with more points but enough. It isn't even this one itself I'm upset over, it is the constant news we get on many cases where I have been saying it and point it out (and Mel does to) oh, another delay, go figure, in another case, of another TRIAL, etc. And the pretrial hearings as well.

It's to make it noticeable how much it happens. The system doesn't work and can't schedule efficiently and delay sometimes for no real reason or proof of one. FAMILIES go for years stuck in limbo waiting for justice. Families have had travel plans and rooms set to travel for trial and arrangements made at home only to have one not go off and then it happen again. And again.

Oh well, I didn't plan on getting into the minutiae of this one and his attorney but why not, my overall beef is THIS has to change. Attorneys come up with b.s. all of the time to gain time when they don't have their work done and EVEN take a vacation. I don't know if they can't be asked what case is causing a conflict and the dates or what... But they should have to provide proof.

Christopher Clements retrial for murder of Isabel Celis rescheduled to 2024​

The Arizona Superior Court in Pima County is rescheduling Christopher Clements' retrial for the murder of 6-year-old Isabel Celis to next year.

A superior court judge set his trial for Feb. 6, 2024, scheduling it over the course of 16 days.

Christopher Clements retrial for murder of Isabel Celis rescheduled to 2024​

The Arizona Superior Court in Pima County is rescheduling Christopher Clements' retrial for the murder of 6-year-old Isabel Celis to next year.

A superior court judge set his trial for Feb. 6, 2024, scheduling it over the course of 16 days.
February. That's &^#@$^* ridiculous!!!

February. That's &^#@$^* ridiculous!!!
Yup. I will back you up on that one. As you know.

An easy way to start to streamline at least a bit and save a lot of stress, time and trouble--just set a murder trial out from the very beginning to at least three years because not doing so and then letting that happen is looiking foolish every single time you as a judge agree to delay it. Of course then defense will play the speedy trial card so it won't be without its flaws either.

As I said above I think, about half the time at least there doesn't even need to be proof there is REAL cause for a request to delay.

Yup. I will back you up on that one. As you know.

An easy way to start to streamline at least a bit and save a lot of stress, time and trouble--just set a murder trial out from the very beginning to at least three years because not doing so and then letting that happen is looiking foolish every single time you as a judge agree to delay it. Of course then defense will play the speedy trial card so it won't be without its flaws either.

As I said above I think, about half the time at least there doesn't even need to be proof there is REAL cause for a request to delay.
No consideration for the families!!! I'm so sick of it!!! I can't imagine what they go through. While the defendant is babied. Things are not changing for victims and their families. It is absolutely outrageous!!!!

No consideration for the families!!! I'm so sick of it!!! I can't imagine what they go through. While the defendant is babied. Things are not changing for victims and their families. It is absolutely outrageous!!!!
It is and it only gets worse. If you ever hear the term victim's rights just know this, their basically aren't any or at least what there are are negligible and they get trounced on by the defendant's rights anyhow.

It is and it only gets worse. If you ever hear the term victim's rights just know this, their basically aren't any or at least what there are are negligible and they get trounced on by the defendant's rights anyhow.
It seems like every single case. I swear it does. Now that you mention it. I don't remember the last time I heard "Victim's rights". Probably because they, Or their families no longer have any.

It seems like every single case. I swear it does. Now that you mention it. I don't remember the last time I heard "Victim's rights". Probably because they, Or their families no longer have any.
It's pretty true. What they get to do is wait three, five or ten years etc. to give a victim impact statement while all those years they have to suffer all the ******** by the defense and defendant and delays and more and BEHAVE themselves. Then they get that ONE moment. But we are even seeing that not fair either like in the Vallow case they nix a grandparent from being a victim family member as far as allowing a statement and others as well.

When was it, back in the 80s maybe there was a big push for victim's rights and they "got some" but you are right, you don't even hear the phrase any more and even then it was a push because there weren't any.

The victim nor the family of the victim are parties in the case. Maybe they should be.

It definitely seems like every case these days. It is one reason I've taken to pointing it out every time I see it in every case and the delays etc. as well. I can't change the system but I sure the he77 can point out what is going on and if it informs some that didn't know and someone with some power raises a hue and a cry well then it h ad some benefit. Right? And you are doing the same imo.

No. No. I never say what I think. I do on every case I see it, Every case claiming mental illness as an EXCUSE! And every single sickening case of an offender let out only to offend again and escalate to murder. I've even joined others on sites saying the same thing. What can we do about this?! Because I desperately want to. ENOUGH!!!

By: Anne Simmons
Posted at 5:41 PM, Dec 06, 2023
and last updated 7:54 PM, Dec 06, 2023
TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — Christopher Clements, previously convicted for the 2014 kidnapping and killing of 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez, will not stand trial this month for alleged possession of a contraband sharpened pencil.

The trial, previously set to begin Tuesday, Dec. 19, was vacated after Pima County District Attorney Laura Conover filed a motion to dismiss the contraband case in late November. According to court documents, the prosecution aimed to dismiss this trial to avoid conflicts in jury selection in Clements's upcoming murder trial, which is scheduled to begin Tuesday, Feb. 6 of next year.

Clements's attorney Joseph DiRoberto is also asking the trial related to Clements' contraband, already pushed back twice this fall, be dismissed—but with prejudice, and not pushed again to a further date. DiRoberto argued in his motion that postponing the contraband trial indefinitely would violate Clements' rights to a speedy trial.

Defense attorneys had previously argued to hold the contraband trial before his 2024 murder trial date.

Clements's pencil possession is classified as "promoting prison contraband," a class 2 felony.

No. No. I never say what I think. I do on every case I see it, Every case claiming mental illness as an EXCUSE! And every single sickening case of an offender let out only to offend again and escalate to murder. I've even joined others on sites saying the same thing. What can we do about this?! Because I desperately want to. ENOUGH!!!
Same. Although i don't get to other sites much. Not even time for this one. I do on occasion say it in a chat while watching a live YT or some such. And I will ALWAYS keep doing it. I don't have time or power to make some huge stink or change but I CAN keep saying it and maybe someone seeing it, some youngster that it clicks with will go on to make a DIFFERENCE or the next gen will etc. But at least we point it out and do say it, always. And I always will. As will you.

Pima County judge denies request to relocate Clements murder retrial​

A Pima County judge denied a request by Christopher Clements' legal team to move his murder retrial out of Tucson.

A Pima County jury could not come to a unanimous decision earlier this year on whether Clements murdered 6-year-old Isabel Celis in 2012.

Judge James E. Marner declared a mistrial.

On Wednesday, Judge Marner said the retrial would proceed in Tucson in February of 2024.

The court determined there would be no "circus-like" atmosphere that would require moving the trial out of Pima County.

There is a hearing Friday to discuss the jury questionnaire for the murder trial.

Retrial to begin for Christopher Clements in death of Isabel Celis​

It’s been nearly a year since a judge declared a mistrial in Christopher Clements’ murder trial for the kidnapping and death of Isabel Celis. The retrial is set to begin next week.

A motion for a change of venue was denied by the judge on Friday, Feb. 2.

The judge is also taking the weekend to consider allowing certain evidence to be used in the trial. The prosecution said that evidence includes images found on secret apps within devices the prosecution said Clements had access to.

That will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 6.

Clements’ attorney takes aim at father of Isabel Celis​

Thursday was the first full day of testimony in the trial of Christopher Clements for the murder of Isabel Celis.

Emotions ran high throughout the day as Celis’ father Sergio, as well as her older brother and mother, were called to the stand to establish the events surrounding her disappearance almost 12 years ago.

But the state also seemed to be making sure the defense couldn’t cast shade on the family in an attempt to get Clements off the hook.

The defense questioned Isabel’s father Sergio about why he didn’t hear anything the night his daughter was abducted.

Clements’ attorney Eric Kessler also had Sergio explain how the outside wall would be difficult if not impossible to climb or leap over, especially with 40 extra pounds to carry.

Sergio had said that he was not as strong as someone else who might be able to do so. During opening arguments the previous day, the defense told the jury that if Sergio seemed to have helped make his daughter’s abduction happen, that would provide reasonable doubt to not convict Clements.

But the prosecution made sure to have both Isabel’s older brother, Sergio Miguel, and her mother, Becky, clarify that Isabel had a good relationship with Sergio, and that she was his little girl.

Kessler claimed in opening arguments the writing in Isabel’s closet said “Dad’s bad” and “I don’t like dad.”

Prosecutor Tracy Miller showed jurors photos of the writing in court.

At that time in court, it seemed no one could clearly read the scribbly writing.

Older brother Sergio Miguel said it read “bad day,” which he said was a song they liked at the time.

Isabel’s mother Becky could not make out any of the phrases, but said detectives at the time kept suggesting those phrases and at the time she agreed.

The family had to listen again to the frantic 911 call Sergio Miguel and Becky made that day. Becky is set to be back on the stand Friday morning.

The judge excused one of the jurors Thursday because of transportation issues. Judge James Marner bought that juror a Lyft or Uber home.

Clements jury shown photos of Isabel Celis’ remains​

Testimony in the trial of Christopher Clements on Friday, Feb. 9, moved beyond the family of Isabel Celis and into the investigation that led to Clements and finding Isabel’s remains.

While the Celis family was no longer on the stand, the day did not get any easier for them as they saw pictures in court of her skeletal remains.

Six-year-old Isabel Celis disappeared on April 21, 2012, and her remains weren’t found until 2017 when Clements led the FBI to Trico and Avra Valley Roads.

But none of that would be known May 10, 2012, less than three weeks after her disappearance, when Tucson Police detectives would knock on Clements’ door.

He lived about eight to 10 minutes away from the Celis home on Elida Street, which is near Pima and Craycroft.

When asked about her whereabouts the night Isabel went missing, Clements told investigators he was with friends at the now-closed Hooters on Ina near Interstate 10. He said after that, the group went to Bedroxx, a bar.

He claimed he went home around 12:30 a.m.

His friend Karina later texted him to give her a ride home, more time passed because at first she did not answer, and then called him to come to get her at an apartment complex on the southwest side.

He said he got back home and went to bed at 5 a.m. and slept until around 11 a.m.

The FBI agent who rode with Clements to the site in 2017 said that Clements had his girlfriend call the FBI to tell them he was in jail and wanted to strike a deal to drop unrelated charges and get his Acura out of impound, and he would lead them to Isabel’s body.

Despite several leads, the case went cold until 2017. That is when Clements’ fiance called the FBI and told them Clements knew where Isabel was buried.

A month later, Clements led agents to Isabel’s body in a desert area near West Avra Valley and North Trico roads in rural Pima County.

The Celis family was in court as the prosecution and a Tucson Police detective went through pictures of Isabel’s skeletal remains: her skull, a rib, vertebrae, and other bone fragments found at the scene.

The defense asked the TPD detective about the father’s initial reaction to Isabel’s remains being found because the detective had noted that Sergio did not ask about where she was found, how she died, or when they could get her remains.

Experts testify about Isabel Celis’ remains during Christopher Clements murder trial​

Details on how 6-year-old Isabel Celis died entered the murder retrial of Christopher Clements as the second week of testimony began Tuesday, Feb. 13.

Celis’ death was ruled a homicide, but how she died was not decided by the medical examiner because of how much time passed between her death and the discovery of her remains.

After the little girl disappeared from her midtown bedroom on April 21, 2012, almost five years passed with no clues until Christopher Clements led the FBI to a desert area near Trico and Avra Valley roads.

The remains were few: parts of her skull, vertebrae, femur, and hip.

The manner of death was a homicide because of the distance from Isabel’s home and a break in one of the bones, a vertebra, that occurred near the time of death and required her chin to be forced down to her chest.

But the cause of death was undetermined because of the lack of more bones and no tissue. Forensic pathologists could not say if that injury killed her or if it happened right after her death.

The woman who Clements called from jail to help him make a deal with the FBI is expected to testify. The defense has requested to tell the jury details of her own past convictions of fraud. The prosecution objected and the judge will have a decision the next day.

Phone calls, car washes and an ex enter Clements’ murder trial​

The woman who saw Christopher Clements the night Isabel Celis went missing took the stand during his retrial on Thursday, Feb. 15.

Karina Rivera was already an ex-girlfriend of Clements by April 2012 but remained in contact with him and needed him to give her a ride the night 6-year-old Isabel went missing.

Isabel disappeared from her midtown bedroom on April 21, 2012. She was not found until almost five years later, when Clements directed FBI agents to her remains near Avra Valley and Trico roads.

In the early morning hours of April 21, after Clements visited Hooters and Bedroxx bar on Ina Road, Rivera texted him to come pick her up near Mission Road and Ajo Way. She wanted a ride from another ex-boyfriend’s apartment to her mother’s house.

Rivera testified that Clements gave short answers and no conversation in the car, which was unusual to her. She said she asked if something was wrong, and he said he didn’t want to talk about it.

He dropped her off and left when she said that he would usually get out of the car and smoke two or three cigarettes first.

The defense pointed out she had been drinking with her ex-boyfriend before Clements picked her up and that she was no longer in an involved relationship with Clements when he gave her the ride.

A Tucson Police detective testified that Clements was a usual customer of Simoniz Car Wash with $20 charges, but had a $110 charge the day Isabel went missing.

But the defense pushed on what the detective meant by “a regular customer” and asked if he was visiting Simoniz once a month or once every three months. The detective could not explain nor had information on what the charges specifically were for.

The detective also said calls were made from Clements’ cell phone to the Celis home in October and November 2011, months before she disappeared. The longest call was seven seconds while others showed as zero.

Texts from Clements to others on April 22, 2012, showed he got a new cell number.

Smudges that came up during fingerprint dusting of the screen on Isabel Celis’s bedroom window as well as the windowsill did not have any or very little detail to be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheSandlot6
Back