MO GWENDOLYN MAE CLEMONS: Missing from Joplin, MO - 24 Nov 1982 - Age 23

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Gwendolyn Mae Clemons

[IMG]

Last seen in Kansas City, Missouri.

MEDIA - GWENDOLYN MAE CLEMONS: Missing from Kansas City, MO since 24 Nov 1982 - Age 23

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta Dawn and her mother identified as Missouri woman, child missing since 1982​

Nearly four decades after a child’s body was found in the Escatawpa River, she has been identified thanks to persistent investigators and DNA technology.

It was 38 years ago this week when the body of a small child was found in the Escatawpa River under the I-10 bridge. That child has remained unidentified since she was found in 1982, despite numerous efforts over the years to figure out who she is and how she got into the river.

The toddler - believed to be between 18-24 months old - was dubbed “Delta Dawn” and “Baby Jane.”

On Friday, Jackson County Sheriff’s Department announced that they have identified Baby Jane as 18-month-old Alisha Ann Heinrich and her mother as 23-year-old Gwendolyn Clemons.

Sheriff Mike Ezell said Gwendolyn was last seen by her family on Thanksgiving 1982 in Joplin, Missouri. The young mother, baby Alisha, and an unidentified man left the state together, reportedly traveling to Florida to start a new life, according to the family.

They were never seen again. Less than two weeks later, the toddler’s body was found in the Escatawpa River.

According to family members, Gwendolyn and Alisha left the state headed to Florida with a man the young mother was dating. That man, who the family said is now deceased, is suspected of killing Alisha and possibly Gwendolyn.

To date, Gwendolyn has not been found and authorities can’t be sure she whether she is dead or alive.

Eyewitness Reports

On Dec. 3, 1982, witnesses reported seeing a woman carrying a toddler. The woman was reportedly seen between midnight and 1 a.m. on Dec. 3, 1982, carrying the child on Highway 63. A woman matching the same description was also reportedly seen shortly after on I-10 close to the Alabama border, walking west near the exit for the truck scales.

One of the witnesses who came forward told investigators she was monitoring the CB radio on the night of Dec. 3, 1982, when there was a lot of chatter about a woman with a child walking down the interstate and being in distress but refusing to let anyone help her.

Two days later at 7 a.m. on Dec. 5, 1982, a truck driver called police to report seeing the body of an adult woman in the Escatawpa River. A deputy responded and, while searching for the woman, came upon the body of Baby Jane.

Now, investigators will continue to conduct interviews and gather evidence to try and determine if the man last seen with Alisha and her mother is the person responsible for the child’s death. They are also working leads to try and find Gwendolyn to learn more about what happened to her.

MORE AT LINK

These kind of statements which are quite frequent in the articles, are part of why I lean towards him being involved or even doing the murder(s). Among other reasons and what we know (or even don't know).

"According to family members, Gwendolyn and Alisha left the state headed to Florida with a man the young mother was dating. That man, who the family said is now deceased, is suspected of killing Alisha and possibly Gwendolyn." (From above)

I take that to mean LE suspects him--even though they almost make it sound as if the family thinks this. It just doesn't sound as if LE has decided she killed the child and then herself...

I asked for this thread to be opened because this is current at the moment with activity and we will likely be hearing more.

These kind of statements which are quite frequent in the articles, are part of why I lean towards him being involved or even doing the murder(s). Among other reasons and what we know (or even don't know).

"According to family members, Gwendolyn and Alisha left the state headed to Florida with a man the young mother was dating. That man, who the family said is now deceased, is suspected of killing Alisha and possibly Gwendolyn." (From above)

I take that to mean LE suspects him--even though they almost make it sound as if the family thinks this. It just doesn't sound as if LE has decided she killed the child and then herself...

I asked for this thread to be opened because this is current at the moment with activity and we will likely be hearing more.
Didn't we read that he returned without them? That would be the biggest red flag to me. Did anyone ask him where they were? And what was his response? I'm just curious.

Didn't we read that he returned without them? That would be the biggest red flag to me. Did anyone ask him where they were? And what was his response? I'm just curious.
Those are some of the very questions I have... I also want to know how he died. Another question would be his criminal history or what he went on to do in life, etc.

One thought is since they were traveling to Florida, the family may not have even known what state to begin looking for her in. Did he tell them she just decided to stay with her child and they split up? Her family HAD to wonder where she was... And the child...

LOTS of unanswered questions.

Here is another one that outright states he is a suspect. I wonder if authorities did not know something from the night truckers, etc. saw her and the child and kept it close to the vest with no identification of the child or location of the mother... Like that a man or this bf was present or after them or if someone saw something occur at the bridge...? Otherwise they have found something out now upon identification that makes them think the mother did not do this but that he may have...?

"The suspect in the case is the former boyfriend of the toddler's mom, who is also deceased."

Posting this here since I also posted it in Alisha’s thread. This podcast provides more background on the unidentified man Gwen and Alisha left with, and what he told everyone when he returned without them. He gave two different stories on what happened, both of which seem untrue. Unfortunately he’s deceased, but I’m hoping one day more answers will come to light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back