GEORGE FLOYD: Man killed, 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired - MN vs Derek Chauvin *GUILTY*

1660790683202.png
(CNN)Four Minneapolis police officers have been fired for their involvement in the death of a black man who was held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn't breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he would have been much better off just stating that he chose not to testify BUT then he went on asserting his 5th with it. I don't think I've ever seen that when a defendant didn't testify. I do get what you are saying though and sure hope this doesn't lead to a reason for appeal
They will always appeal until those are all exhausted. But a retrial I hope not.

Per article, he lied on his questionnaire so it's definitely a good question.

Before being selected, Mitchell filled out this questionnaire. On it, he said he never attended protests over police brutality in Minnesota or beyond. He also answered a question on Black Lives Matter, saying, “Black lives just want to be treated as equals and not killed or treated in an aggressive manner simply because they are Black.”
I wish I remembered which juror he was when questioned prior to selection. There were a few that admitted to going to a protest or two I think, one woman I think had a son who attended one or two in Mpls. Not all made it on the jury either.

The judge made it clear that sometimes after answering questionnaires, facts changed or jurors may think of something they want to add or need to add and that there is nothing wrong with this and in one or two cases, they did see something after they filled it out, attend something, realize they forgot something, etc.

Even so, it is debatable whether an MLK commemorative anniversary of his speech is a protest. His shirt does say a bit of something though.

I can't argue that this man is causing some legitimate questions. If this case has to be retried because of him, I suggest he find a safe underground bunker, as many people will be quite unhappy.

No big shocker. They tried the case rather than make a deal and now they have this and more appeals likely for years to come. Of course if they had struck a deal, would people have tolerated that? Hard to say.

Derek Chauvin indictment: Boy, 14, held by throat, hit with flashlight in 2017​

Derek Chauvin has been indicted on federal civil rights charges for a 2017 incident in which he’s accused of holding a 14-year-old boy down by the throat and striking the child multiple times in the head with a flashlight.

These federal charges come at the same time as a separate indictment charging Chauvin and three other former Minneapolis police officers -- Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao -- with federal civil rights crimes for their roles in the death of George Floyd.

The indictment in the 2017 case charges Chauvin with two counts of deprivation of rights under color of law. The brief, three-page indictment includes the following allegations:

Chauvin, "while acting under color of law, willfully deprived Juvenile 1 of the right, secured and protected by the Constitution and laws of the United States, to be free from an unreasonable seizure, which includes the right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a police officer. Specifically, Defendant Chauvin, without legal justification, held Juvenile 1 by the throat and struck Juvenile 1 multiple times in the head with a flashlight. This offense includes the use of a dangerous weapon – a flashlight – and resulted in bodily injury to Juvenile 1."

Also, that Chauvin "held his knee on the neck and upper back of Juvenile 1 even after Juvenile 1 was lying prone, handcuffed, and unresisting."

Derek Chauvin indictment: Boy, 14, held by throat, hit with flashlight in 2017​

Derek Chauvin has been indicted on federal civil rights charges for a 2017 incident in which he’s accused of holding a 14-year-old boy down by the throat and striking the child multiple times in the head with a flashlight.

These federal charges come at the same time as a separate indictment charging Chauvin and three other former Minneapolis police officers -- Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao -- with federal civil rights crimes for their roles in the death of George Floyd.

The indictment in the 2017 case charges Chauvin with two counts of deprivation of rights under color of law. The brief, three-page indictment includes the following allegations:

Chauvin, "while acting under color of law, willfully deprived Juvenile 1 of the right, secured and protected by the Constitution and laws of the United States, to be free from an unreasonable seizure, which includes the right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a police officer. Specifically, Defendant Chauvin, without legal justification, held Juvenile 1 by the throat and struck Juvenile 1 multiple times in the head with a flashlight. This offense includes the use of a dangerous weapon – a flashlight – and resulted in bodily injury to Juvenile 1."

Also, that Chauvin "held his knee on the neck and upper back of Juvenile 1 even after Juvenile 1 was lying prone, handcuffed, and unresisting."
I had heard of this incident but never saw any details. Reading the rest of this article is worthwhile. Pretty brutal and excessive force again it sure seems like.

Chauvin makes appearance on federal charges in Floyd’s death

To bring federal charges in deaths involving police, prosecutors must believe an officer acted under the “color of law,” or government authority, and willfully deprived someone's constitutional rights. That’s a high legal standard. An accident, bad judgment or simple negligence on the officer’s part isn’t enough to support federal charges; prosecutors have to prove the officers knew what they were doing was wrong in that moment but did it anyway.

A magistrate judge has delayed until September the arraignment of four former Minneapolis police officers charged with federal civil rights violations in George Floyd’s death, ruling Friday that the case is complex and not subject to time restraints under the Speedy Trial Act.

Prosecutors had asked for more time to prepare for the case, due in part to the sheer volume of evidence. Defense attorneys did not oppose the delay.

Ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for George Floyd murder​

A Minnesota judge on Friday sentenced former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin to 22-and-a-half years in prison for the murder of George Floyd.

The sentencing began Friday afternoon with emotional victim impact statements from the victim’s relatives, and Chauvin himself offering “my condolences to the Floyd family.”

Prosecutors have asked the judge to sentence Chauvin to 30 years in prison.

That is a decade less than the maximum possible sentence he faces on the charge of second-degree murder, the most serious of the three counts on which he was convicted by a jury on April 20 after trial.

Jurors also convicted Chauvin of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for George Floyd murder​

A Minnesota judge on Friday sentenced former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin to 22-and-a-half years in prison for the murder of George Floyd.

The sentencing began Friday afternoon with emotional victim impact statements from the victim’s relatives, and Chauvin himself offering “my condolences to the Floyd family.”

Prosecutors have asked the judge to sentence Chauvin to 30 years in prison.

That is a decade less than the maximum possible sentence he faces on the charge of second-degree murder, the most serious of the three counts on which he was convicted by a jury on April 20 after trial.

Jurors also convicted Chauvin of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Oh please, like Chauvin really gives a crap about killing Floyd. If this trial had never happened he would be probably be laughing about it.

You're absolutely right. He doesn't care. A statement doesn't make it so. Faking it doesn't make it so. People see through that. Chauvin you didn't care from day 1. Only about you. Denied another trial. Of course. There is no reason for a retrial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back