GEORGE FLOYD: Man killed, 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired - MN vs Derek Chauvin *GUILTY*

1660790683202.png
(CNN)Four Minneapolis police officers have been fired for their involvement in the death of a black man who was held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn't breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a crime site.
Factual crimes.

it is and this particular crime was committed by the cop. 9 and one half minutes it took. Not a split second decision like most of them. Most of those I will not say it was a bad cop situation because we all can make a bad decision when it has to be an instantaneous one. He had plenty of time to correct himself. He had people trying to get him to correct himself for nearly 10 minutes that he chose to ignore and blame them for HIS decision. This is all on him. Floyd was no angel, but he deserved to have a chance to go to court and be proven guilty of what he did.

Catching up with all of the posts.

This case has a ton of hotly debated facts and myths out there. I don't get into most of those in forming an opinion as I don't know and most were not admissible nor are to be considered anyhow. Prior acts of neither were allowed.

Floyd was no saint. Chauvin however made more than one really bad choice over a period of time. Imo. Changing any one of those decisions or making a different one may have changed everything including where he is now going. He did not need to have intent and there are many in chats out there that do not realize that. You can be charged for certain things and meet the criteria without having intent.

The typical drunk driver does not mean to kill anyone, no intent. He is not innocent, however. Bad choices. He should have known.

I agree with @Guess Who in that if this was a split second decision under certain circumstances or that hold was only used briefly and then ended, it would be entirely different even though I myself feel the hold itself was not the type that should have been used. Or if care had been administered. Way too many bad choices.

I myself waver about intent, many do. Only Chauvin knows if he had any intent, we will likely never know. I do, however, feel that intent could not be proven easily.

I will say I would not want to be a cop, particularly today. I do think though that certain professions necessitate higher standards when someone's life, freedom, and and more are in your hands. Cops. Doctors. Judges. Etc. Imo they know it going into the job and if they choose the job and if they do not know it, they should. It's a lot different than making a typo if one works in an office or if one is a baker, forgetting to put yeast or flour in your bread :)

Just some final thoughts until sentencing which is a ways off. And I have no doubt there will be appeals which will likely start being worked on immediately.

And all is jmo of course.

An article and his mug shot. I thought he would probably stay in county until sentenced but he is at Oak Park Heights Supermax prison. He is segregated in an adminisitrative control unit or some such.

Catching up with all of the posts.

This case has a ton of hotly debated facts and myths out there. I don't get into most of those in forming an opinion as I don't know and most were not admissible nor are to be considered anyhow. Prior acts of neither were allowed.

Floyd was no saint. Chauvin however made more than one really bad choice over a period of time. Imo. Changing any one of those decisions or making a different one may have changed everything including where he is now going. He did not need to have intent and there are many in chats out there that do not realize that. You can be charged for certain things and meet the criteria without having intent.

The typical drunk driver does not mean to kill anyone, no intent. He is not innocent, however. Bad choices. He should have known.

I agree with @Guess Who in that if this was a split second decision under certain circumstances or that hold was only used briefly and then ended, it would be entirely different even though I myself feel the hold itself was not the type that should have been used. Or if care had been administered. Way too many bad choices.

I myself waver about intent, many do. Only Chauvin knows if he had any intent, we will likely never know. I do, however, feel that intent could not be proven easily.

I will say I would not want to be a cop, particularly today. I do think though that certain professions necessitate higher standards when someone's life, freedom, and and more are in your hands. Cops. Doctors. Judges. Etc. Imo they know it going into the job and if they choose the job and if they do not know it, they should. It's a lot different than making a typo if one works in an office or if one is a baker, forgetting to put yeast or flour in your bread :)

Just some final thoughts until sentencing which is a ways off. And I have no doubt there will be appeals which will likely start being worked on immediately.

And all is jmo of course.

There were a few of his colleagues that testified against him. They helped convict him.

In court documents made public on Friday, Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill ordered that the jurors' identities be sealed for at least six months, citing concerns over possible unwanted publicity or harassment if their identities were made public.

The order will keep under wraps a list of the jury members who found Chauvin guilty of all three counts he faced, as well as their profiles and questionnaires, and the identities of alternate jurors.

Well there was a juror who talked to media who said the jury discussed Chauvin not testifying. He also made a remark about how it was probably to Chauvin's detriment.

Let's just help them get appeals shall we and keep this case going forever? It is such a CLEAR thing to most in instructions and during court that you cannot judge the defendant on that choice.

About 1:40 in is the part about this.

Well there was a juror who talked to media who said the jury discussed Chauvin not testifying. He also made a remark about how it was probably to Chauvin's detriment.

Let's just help them get appeals shall we and keep this case going forever? It is such a CLEAR thing to most in instructions and during court that you cannot judge the defendant on that choice.

I think he would have been much better off just stating that he chose not to testify BUT then he went on asserting his 5th with it. I don't think I've ever seen that when a defendant didn't testify. I do get what you are saying though and sure hope this doesn't lead to a reason for appeal

If he had testified it might have made questioning him about his disciplinary past fair game.

I think he would have been much better off just stating that he chose not to testify BUT then he went on asserting his 5th with it. I don't think I've ever seen that when a defendant didn't testify. I do get what you are saying though and sure hope this doesn't lead to a reason for appeal
It was different, and so was his having a microphone and at his table being questioned by his attorney, never saw anything quite like it.

The juror though, if he is claiming they did consider his choice and it was detrimental, I think is a big deal if true. Because they can't DO that. A few other things during trial, jury selectin and more, I don't think I see as much chance to win appeal on but this juror's remark on that was hmmm... Jmo of course.

Oh good. What does the great MLK have to do with this case?. Stupid T-Shirt.
I believe it was a niece a few months back who put Floyd on the same level as MLK, I heard her giving a public speech or something and I had to shut her off. While I felt Chauvin guilty, in no way did I agree with that and I imagine many from all walks of life would take issue with that.

Regarding the juror, the knee on neck part of the T-shirt seems a bit specific. The case best known for it at that time was Floyd.

A bunch of talking heads on TV though of what "could" happen...

This is the same juror that made the remark on media about Chauvin not testifying which was not good either. He may want to think about taking himself out of the limelight. If he gets this case overturned with his previous actions and now his remarks, I think there will be some angry people.

On the other hand, as said towards the end of your article, it is not that easy to overturn a conviction....

Smh.

I believe it was a niece a few months back who put Floyd on the same level as MLK, I heard her giving a public speech or something and I had to shut her off. While I felt Chauvin guilty, in no way did I agree with that and I imagine many from all walks of life would take issue with that.

Regarding the juror, the knee on neck part of the T-shirt seems a bit specific. The case best known for it at that time was Floyd.

A bunch of talking heads on TV though of what "could" happen...

This is the same juror that made the remark on media about Chauvin not testifying which was not good either. He may want to think about taking himself out of the limelight. If he gets this case overturned with his previous actions and now his remarks, I think there will be some angry people.

On the other hand, as said towards the end of your article, it is not that easy to overturn a conviction....

Smh.
Per article, he lied on his questionnaire so it's definitely a good question.

Before being selected, Mitchell filled out this questionnaire. On it, he said he never attended protests over police brutality in Minnesota or beyond. He also answered a question on Black Lives Matter, saying, “Black lives just want to be treated as equals and not killed or treated in an aggressive manner simply because they are Black.”

Per article, he lied on his questionnaire so it's definitely a good question.

Before being selected, Mitchell filled out this questionnaire. On it, he said he never attended protests over police brutality in Minnesota or beyond. He also answered a question on Black Lives Matter, saying, “Black lives just want to be treated as equals and not killed or treated in an aggressive manner simply because they are Black.”

I believe it will just make for a retrial at worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back