WY GABBY PETITO: Missing from Grand Teton National Park, WY - 25 August 2021 - Age 22 *Found Deceased*

image_6487327.JPG

• Gabby Petito was reported missing after she didn't return from a road trip with her fiancé.
  • The police opened an investigation after her mother filed a missing-person report on Saturday.
  • A news report said Petito's fiancé was not cooperating with authorities and had hired a lawyer.

Grand Teton National Park

Gabby Petito's family last heard from her when she arrived at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on August 25, her mother said. littleting/Shutterstock
  • Gabby Petito was reported missing after she didn't return from a road trip with her fiancé.
  • The police opened an investigation after her mother filed a missing-person report on Saturday.
  • A news report said Petito's fiancé was not cooperating with authorities and had hired a lawyer.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A 22-year-old New York woman who documented her cross-country van road trip on social media was reported missing by her mother on Saturday after her fiancé returned to their home in Florida without her, reports said.

Gabby Petito and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, embarked on their road trip on July 2 from Blue Point, New York, Newsday reported.
The two were living in a 2012 Ford Transit van and documenting their travels on Instagram and YouTube, often using the hashtag #vanlife.
Petito was last seen checking out of a hotel with Laundrie on August 24. She last spoke to her family on the phone the next day, telling them she had arrived at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, her mother, Nicole Schmidt, said.

Her mother told reporters on Monday that she FaceTimed with Petito around August 23 or 24.
Petito's most recent Instagram post was shared on August 25.

Schmidt told Fox News on Sunday that she was unsure whether her daughter had left Grand Teton. She said she exchanged texts with Petito's number twice after August 25.
"I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text," Schmidt said. "I didn't verbally speak to her."
Laundrie eventually returned to the couple's home in North Port, Florida, without Petito, though it was not clear when he arrived, the Daily Mail reported.
The police in New York's Suffolk County said Schmidt filed a missing-person report on Saturday.

"Petito, 22, of Blue Point, is described as a white female, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds," the press release said. "She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads 'let it be.'"

The press release said authorities had recovered the couple's van during their investigation.
Petito and Laundrie had been living in North Port together for two years before they set out on their road trip, the Daily Mail said. Petito announced their engagement on Instagram in July 2020.

(more at link)

She could be anywhere as they were traveling cross-country. I put the location as the last place her family could verify that she was still in communication.

MEDIA - GABBY PETITO: Missing from Grand Teton National Park, WY since 25 August 2021 - Age 22

Last edited by a moderator:

By Jean Casarez and Lauren del Valle, CNN
Updated 3:25 PM EST, Tue February 14, 2023

Brian Laundrie’s mother wrote a letter to her son that included references to getting a shovel and burying a body, an attorney representing the parents of Gabby Petito said during a court hearing Tuesday.

The Petitos are suing the Laundries for emotional distress in connection with Gabby’s death during a road trip with her betrothed, Brian.

The lawyer for Petito’s parents, Patrick Reilly, said during a remote hearing in Sarasota County Circuit Court in Florida that he saw the letter at an FBI regional office and it expressed things “including helping him get out of prison, getting a shovel and some other things.”

The envelope containing the letter said “burn after reading” according to Reilly, who said the letter was recovered from Brian Laundrie’s backpack when his body was found.

By Jean Casarez and Lauren del Valle, CNN
Updated 3:25 PM EST, Tue February 14, 2023

Brian Laundrie’s mother wrote a letter to her son that included references to getting a shovel and burying a body, an attorney representing the parents of Gabby Petito said during a court hearing Tuesday.

The Petitos are suing the Laundries for emotional distress in connection with Gabby’s death during a road trip with her betrothed, Brian.

The lawyer for Petito’s parents, Patrick Reilly, said during a remote hearing in Sarasota County Circuit Court in Florida that he saw the letter at an FBI regional office and it expressed things “including helping him get out of prison, getting a shovel and some other things.”

The envelope containing the letter said “burn after reading” according to Reilly, who said the letter was recovered from Brian Laundrie’s backpack when his body was found.

If this is true the Laundries are probably Civilly and Criminally screwed.

If this is true the Laundries are probably Civilly and Criminally screwed.
laundrie's lawyer says the letter pre-dates the trip out west ... so is irrelevant

weird thing to write to your kid. :unsure: maybe his mom's clairvoyant. (or knows her son has a short temper in close quarters.)

This document pre-dates Brian and Gabby’s trip so its creation really doesn’t have any relation necessarily to the unfortunate events that unfolded thereafter. I know that some of the wording that was used in the letter is unfortunate and might suggest that it has some connection but it doesn’t,” defense attorney P. Matthew Luka said in court.

From the same article:

<snip>
Reilly pushed back that the letter is not dated and a jury should decide if it’s relevant.

“The language in that letter is damning and that letter has a reference to bringing a shovel and burying a body,” Reilly said during the Tuesday hearing.

The attorney for Gabby’s family wants to ask Roberta Laundrie about the letter in a deposition, he said.

Judge Danielle Brewer said Tuesday, “I don’t see how it wouldn’t be relevant to the action.”

From the same article:

<snip>
Reilly pushed back that the letter is not dated and a jury should decide if it’s relevant.

“The language in that letter is damning and that letter has a reference to bringing a shovel and burying a body,” Reilly said during the Tuesday hearing.

The attorney for Gabby’s family wants to ask Roberta Laundrie about the letter in a deposition, he said.

Judge Danielle Brewer said Tuesday, “I don’t see how it wouldn’t be relevant to the action.”

Their lawyer must have taken a :poop: load of Tylenol after hearing about this. What a weak argument, but what else can he do?

If I'm a juror the date doesn't bother me at all. Like Olenna said, is Mrs. Laundrie clairvoyant?

Well, it's a letter to a son from a mom. Moms are ... frequently clairvoyant as to their children's nature.

I'm assuming the attorney is accurate re: date of the letter.

I think - what's more interesting is - that this letter from mom Laundrie made it all the way to the everglades ...

An attempt at lightheartedness (?) on the envelope - "burn after reading". (An expression from film .... when message contents are so sensitive they must be kept secret, - "burn after reading". ) The language quoted from the letter ... about shovels, being there if he got in trouble (jail) etc ... Are these attempts at a humorous way to express a mom's concern about her son's judgement and choices? Her reticence about the trip with Petito? Was mom Laundrie's letter a way of sharing her concern that the challenging trip might cause stress or tension in Laundrie's relationship with Petito?

The entire letter (in full context) might provide insight into emotional status of one half of the young couple from a mother's eyes. Might show mom Laundry knows her kid is prone to acting out (b/c a mother knows). Context is everything. We can't know context with one line of a letter. We don't know the circumstances that prompted the letter or the messaging mom Laundrie chose. We know Laundrie was about to go on a long trip in a small vehicle with Petito.

Laundrie did not burn mom's letter after reading. He kept that letter from his mom. Don't know if the letter went on his trip w/ Petito.
But we now know that letter went on his next trip ... to meditate .. to self-reflect ... to die ... in the everglades ...

That's about it.

Can't shake that the grocery store video showing Petito & Laundrie in the grocery store the day before Petito was murdered, with Laundrie following several paces behind her around the store, hands shoved in pocket ... not even helping to carry the basket ... Petito is focused on finding what she needs - and he seems anxious, withdrawn, uncomfortable - and not engaged in the grocery errand. His body language so weird. They're really out of synch.

And if on the road for months, how did Brian get the letter if it was mailed? There are ways if preplanned, but it seems that they were winging it on where they were staying from what i had seen. Did she personally give it to him when he went back home that time(s?)? He was on the way home nearly immediately afterwards so it couldn't have been gotten to him right after it happened but before he left.

From the same article:

<snip>

nevermind. lol thanks @Cousin Dupree

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back