WY GABBY PETITO: Missing from Grand Teton National Park, WY - 25 August 2021 - Age 22 *Found Deceased*

image_6487327.JPG

• Gabby Petito was reported missing after she didn't return from a road trip with her fiancé.
  • The police opened an investigation after her mother filed a missing-person report on Saturday.
  • A news report said Petito's fiancé was not cooperating with authorities and had hired a lawyer.

Grand Teton National Park

Gabby Petito's family last heard from her when she arrived at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on August 25, her mother said. littleting/Shutterstock
  • Gabby Petito was reported missing after she didn't return from a road trip with her fiancé.
  • The police opened an investigation after her mother filed a missing-person report on Saturday.
  • A news report said Petito's fiancé was not cooperating with authorities and had hired a lawyer.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A 22-year-old New York woman who documented her cross-country van road trip on social media was reported missing by her mother on Saturday after her fiancé returned to their home in Florida without her, reports said.

Gabby Petito and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, embarked on their road trip on July 2 from Blue Point, New York, Newsday reported.
The two were living in a 2012 Ford Transit van and documenting their travels on Instagram and YouTube, often using the hashtag #vanlife.
Petito was last seen checking out of a hotel with Laundrie on August 24. She last spoke to her family on the phone the next day, telling them she had arrived at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, her mother, Nicole Schmidt, said.

Her mother told reporters on Monday that she FaceTimed with Petito around August 23 or 24.
Petito's most recent Instagram post was shared on August 25.

Schmidt told Fox News on Sunday that she was unsure whether her daughter had left Grand Teton. She said she exchanged texts with Petito's number twice after August 25.
"I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text," Schmidt said. "I didn't verbally speak to her."
Laundrie eventually returned to the couple's home in North Port, Florida, without Petito, though it was not clear when he arrived, the Daily Mail reported.
The police in New York's Suffolk County said Schmidt filed a missing-person report on Saturday.

"Petito, 22, of Blue Point, is described as a white female, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds," the press release said. "She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads 'let it be.'"

The press release said authorities had recovered the couple's van during their investigation.
Petito and Laundrie had been living in North Port together for two years before they set out on their road trip, the Daily Mail said. Petito announced their engagement on Instagram in July 2020.

(more at link)

She could be anywhere as they were traveling cross-country. I put the location as the last place her family could verify that she was still in communication.

MEDIA - GABBY PETITO: Missing from Grand Teton National Park, WY since 25 August 2021 - Age 22

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably cause the full video to be released. It should also make other jurisdictions to learn more about handling domestic violence cases.
Yeah, I hope so, and I can understand their goals in doing that and calling attention to DV and hoping for better handling of DV and of course to get info they would naturally want. All victims\ families want to know the whys, hows and what happened (and see justice which they didn't) even when they don't want to know on another level of what their loved one went through. Imo anyhow.

I find it likely significant they released the other body cam footage of that incident but not hers...

Allegedly per the filings, there is another photo of Gabby's face (other than the one that didn't show much or any serious injuries) that has never been released that shows a close up view showing Gabby "had blood smeared on her cheek and left eye revealing the violent nature of Brian's attack. 'the photo shows Gabby's face was gripped across her nose and mouth potentially restricting her airway".

About 5:30 or a few seconds past into this one.

So there is a video out from before Gabby died and just after the Merry Pigs restaurant incident I gather (not sure I have right name). Video started at a distance and I've seen a couple and all are now I think going to be working on them to dial them in but this one of Nate Eaton's is the first close up one I have seen. And he doesn't talk over it as most have. He just lets it play silently. Not that talking hurt as there is no sound on the video I just mean this is the best one I've seen so I'm posting it. Brian slams the van door when he gets out. I had heard that but hadn't seen it but I can see it in Nate's version here.

So there is a video out from before Gabby died and just after the Merry Pigs restaurant incident I gather (not sure I have right name). Video started at a distance and I've seen a couple and all are now I think going to be working on them to dial them in but this one of Nate Eaton's is the first close up one I have seen. And he doesn't talk over it as most have. He just lets it play silently. Not that talking hurt as there is no sound on the video I just mean this is the best one I've seen so I'm posting it. Brian slams the van door when he gets out. I had heard that but hadn't seen it but I can see it in Nate's version here.

I sure don't see where he put back what he picked up at about the 4:12 mark. It shows him pick it up, but he, himself, is out of view. You can clearly see the table where he picks something up and never see him put it back and then when it does show him, his hands are empty. What else is in his cargo pockets???

I sure don't see where he put back what he picked up at about the 4:12 mark. It shows him pick it up, but he, himself, is out of view. You can clearly see the table where he picks something up and never see him put it back and then when it does show him, his hands are empty. What else is in his cargo pockets???
I'll have to look again. You mean in the store?

It doesn't tell us anything other than he was still ticked and imo the grabbing a hat and the way he was in the store was probably the most noticeable thing. She is just shopping but he acts like he is up to something, uncomfortable, trying to hide, wants to get out of there or is impatient and/or at times seems to be following her but then trying to act as if he isn't. Just odd but nothing significant. You think he is shoplifting you mean? Nothing would surprise me. He took her debit card and used it after she died so...

I think the most remarkable thing to me is here they are and she is alive and well but he is in a bit of a snit yet apparently (or worse) and the next thing we know she is dead some time later. I am trying to recall, this was right after the restaurant incident, was it the same day just a short time later the cops pulled them over or were those different times and places? I think it was.

The only other significant thing to me was the length of time on arrival and prior to leaving they sat in the van but that could be due to anything. Could have been on wifi looking something up, planning what they need, etc. but he DID get out and slam the van door in what seemed an angry way.

I'll have to look again. You mean in the store?

It doesn't tell us anything other than he was still ticked and imo the grabbing a hat and the way he was in the store was probably the most noticeable thing. She is just shopping but he acts like he is up to something, uncomfortable, trying to hide, wants to get out of there or is impatient and/or at times seems to be following her but then trying to act as if he isn't. Just odd but nothing significant. You think he is shoplifting you mean? Nothing would surprise me. He took her debit card and used it after she died so...

I think the most remarkable thing to me is here they are and she is alive and well but he is in a bit of a snit yet apparently (or worse) and the next thing we know she is dead some time later. I am trying to recall, this was right after the restaurant incident, was it the same day just a short time later the cops pulled them over or were those different times and places? I think it was.

The only other significant thing to me was the length of time on arrival and prior to leaving they sat in the van but that could be due to anything. Could have been on wifi looking something up, planning what they need, etc. but he DID get out and slam the van door in what seemed an angry way.
He's definitely in a pizzy mood.

TRUE CRIME
Published October 20, 2022 10:07am EDT
By Michael Ruiz | Fox News

The depositions of Brian Laundrie’s parents in a civil lawsuit over the strangling death of Gabby Petito have been postponed.

They were scheduled for Thursday, which coincidentally marks one year since Laundrie’s remains were discovered in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port, Florida.

Pat Reilly, who is representing Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt in a lawsuit alleging that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were aware that their son killed Gabby Petito and tried to help him flee justice, told Fox News Digital that there was "no significance" to the originally scheduled date.

On Tuesday, as the community continues its recovery from a catastrophic Hurricane Ian, Reilly filed notice with the court canceling Thursday’s appointment, which has been rescheduled for Dec. 1. Chris Laundrie is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the attorney's office in Venice, with his wife's statement to immediately follow.

TRUE CRIME
Published October 20, 2022 10:07am EDT

The depositions of Brian Laundrie’s parents in a civil lawsuit over the strangling death of Gabby Petito have been postponed.

They were scheduled for Thursday, which coincidentally marks one year since Laundrie’s remains were discovered in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port, Florida.

Pat Reilly, who is representing Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt in a lawsuit alleging that Chris and Roberta Laundrie were aware that their son killed Gabby Petito and tried to help him flee justice, told Fox News Digital that there was "no significance" to the originally scheduled date.

On Tuesday, as the community continues its recovery from a catastrophic Hurricane Ian, Reilly filed notice with the court canceling Thursday’s appointment, which has been rescheduled for Dec. 1. Chris Laundrie is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the attorney's office in Venice, with his wife's statement to immediately follow.
Doesn't really give a reason. It's a civil case. It's a deposition, all they need are the attorneys, a court reporter, a room and the defendants. What's the problem? And then they put it off that far? It isn't a court hearing.

Doesn't really give a reason. It's a civil case. It's a deposition, all they need are the attorneys, a court reporter, a room and the defendants. What's the problem? And then they put it off that far? It isn't a court hearing.
from the link:
In an email, Reilly told Fox News Digital that the reason for the postponement was that he was still waiting for documents from a records request.

"Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie exhibited extreme and outrageous conduct which constitutes behavior, under the circumstances, which goes beyond all possible bounds of decency and is regarded as shocking, atrocious, and utterly intolerable in a civilized community," the lawsuit alleges.

from the link:
In an email, Reilly told Fox News Digital that the reason for the postponement was that he was still waiting for documents from a records request.

"Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie exhibited extreme and outrageous conduct which constitutes behavior, under the circumstances, which goes beyond all possible bounds of decency and is regarded as shocking, atrocious, and utterly intolerable in a civilized community," the lawsuit alleges.
It is pretty vague though. What records and did the petitioners and their attorney argue it or have a say. Not a criminal case to like obtain DNA and witness testimony, etc. I would think the main gist of it would be what did the Laundries know, do, etc. and questions of them about that. I guess it could be something like phone records to show they did or did not call someone, do something, etc. but that's more for trial I would think, not a deposition. I don't know, just find the delay and reasons vague and the length of wait long enough.

In a civil case, just as likely is they may inkled or shot a settlement offer at them to avoid depositions so they are discussing settlement so a postponement happens and a wait is agreed to between the parties, but can be a tactic too. I am sure the Laundries are in no hurry to go under oath in a deposition and have their statements now on record since they have never said a thing throughout to speak of.

In fact, records for a deposition would generally be wanted by the questioning side which isn't the Laundries. Meaning, here I see you called your son at midnight on such and such a date and the atty. puts the record in front of them daring them to deny it. By the Petitos' atty.

Oh well. Just wondering what records and why, etc. I don't see a deposition as somewhere you produce documents to prove your innocence. If the Laundrie atty. were deposing the Petitos it would make more sense to me.

I'm no expert but been around a few depositions in different types of cases.

Saturday November 5th at nine on HLN is a show about this case.
That was quick. Especially in a case that was only an accident, not a murder, yet they are doing a show? That remark is meant a bit sarcastically. This is a young blonde teen who drove into a lake accidentally after attending a party. Why is that a case for a TV show? Seriously?

There are no answers or not enough answers yet imo in the case. I'm not saying it wasn't an accident but there was a party, alcohol and more than likely witnesses and where is all that info or why is there such a lack of it?

Of course the conspiracy theorists out there and big drama creators are still at it who take things way out of proportion. I do though think there needs to be answers that have not been given. Similarly to Petito. There are some loose ends there too and info that I fail to see why it has not been provided. And that WAS a murder.

Oh sh*t, I was thinking this was Rodni. So with my above post, realize I had it reversed. The Petito case being covered makes a lot more sense. A LOT more sense. My remarks stand as to each of them though.

Published October 31, 2022 5:59pm EDT

Attorneys for Brian Laundrie’s parents filed a motion asking the court to enforce a narrow line of questioning when they are deposed in December in a civil lawsuit connected with their son’s slaying of Gabby Petito.

The defense is asking Judge Hunter Carroll to limit questions to details between Aug. 27, 2021, when Petito is believed to have been strangled and bludgeoned to death in Wyoming, and Sept. 19, when search teams found her body there.

"We are just looking to confine the questioning to matters and the time frame relevant to the claim that has been filed," Laundrie family attorney Steve Bertolino said Friday.

The motion, filed last week, acknowledges that Petito’s family and the public at large are seeking more answers in connection with the slaying – but argues that public interest is not enough to compel the Laundries to answer a broader range of questions.

"The public who followed the case and the Plaintiffs are likely curious about Brian Laundrie’s life, his last days, his interaction with his parents, and the thoughts and feelings experienced by his parents," Laundrie attorney Matthew Luka wrote in the filing. "But curiosity is not a reason to require the Defendants to discuss such personal and heart-wrenching details. Rather, the discovery must be relevant to the cause of action at issue."

He argued that any questioning of the Laundries focused on topics other than in regard to a statement Bertolino made on Sept. 14, 2021, are "irrelevant" to the lawsuit and would only "embarrass, annoy, oppress and burden" the Laundries.

Published October 31, 2022 5:59pm EDT

Attorneys for Brian Laundrie’s parents filed a motion asking the court to enforce a narrow line of questioning when they are deposed in December in a civil lawsuit connected with their son’s slaying of Gabby Petito.

The defense is asking Judge Hunter Carroll to limit questions to details between Aug. 27, 2021, when Petito is believed to have been strangled and bludgeoned to death in Wyoming, and Sept. 19, when search teams found her body there.

"We are just looking to confine the questioning to matters and the time frame relevant to the claim that has been filed," Laundrie family attorney Steve Bertolino said Friday.

The motion, filed last week, acknowledges that Petito’s family and the public at large are seeking more answers in connection with the slaying – but argues that public interest is not enough to compel the Laundries to answer a broader range of questions.

"The public who followed the case and the Plaintiffs are likely curious about Brian Laundrie’s life, his last days, his interaction with his parents, and the thoughts and feelings experienced by his parents," Laundrie attorney Matthew Luka wrote in the filing. "But curiosity is not a reason to require the Defendants to discuss such personal and heart-wrenching details. Rather, the discovery must be relevant to the cause of action at issue."

He argued that any questioning of the Laundries focused on topics other than in regard to a statement Bertolino made on Sept. 14, 2021, are "irrelevant" to the lawsuit and would only "embarrass, annoy, oppress and burden" the Laundries.
No. This is civil for one thing and not subject to strictures of criminal rules, not sure that means anything but I am saying it anyhow as it sounds good lol.

I can understand and see where maybe they shouldn't be able to go back to a YEAR before and ask if Brian and Gabby ever fought, what the relationship was, etc., etc. and if the Laundries liked Gabby and so on and so on, not necessary BUT from the day she died to the day she was found only?? There is what happened in Moab and then that recent grocery store video... Did Brian call his folks about issues or being pulled over by the cops prior to her death? And the other side of the date range. She was found before he was and how do the Petitos or the public know for a fact he had no contact with his parents before he killed himself?

I don't know and I get limiting it to not going into like Brian and the Laundries' lifetime on this earth but this seems a bit odd that they want to make it THIS narrow, what call or contact are they trying to keep out is what it makes me wonder.... Of course the protestors and online people did put the Laundries through heck so they know every nugget of anything will be made into a mountain from a molehill but at this point I think it would be the right thing to do to give a fair range and give the Petitos the answers they want. Willingly back when would have been nice but nope.

Brian was still missing at that time on the end date and on the beginning date there were problems and rage and issues leading up to her killing...

We don't know everything nor the legal rules on what was filed but he could have called his parents for all we know prior to his losing it entirely and said I've had it, I am going to lose it with her, etc. There was also the fact that didn't he go home at one point prior leaving Gabby in a hotel room until he got back... Moving some things or getting some money or something... Or they had a split then... I mean I guess that may not lend to trying to help him after he killed her if they knew but it definitely could and who knows... Brian could have even been planning this, and of taking her van, her things, her debit card, who KNOWS?? I doubt his parents know that and doubt that is the case, etc. but I do think all should be able to be asked for a fair time period AROUND all this.

Of course I am on the victim's side and I think there should be a bit more leeway than that for a time range. But that's just an opinion of fairness, not law on the matter. And my radar goes up that they want to narrow this that much. Why not just object in court if it gets too ridiulous like asking who Brian was when he was two years old or something that dumb.

There is also the fact that if the Laundries did NOT know their son was dead they still could have been making arrangements for him to flee when they did hear from him or were hoping they would...

Yeah I think that time range is too narrow.

They can try. It may be to keep questions that could lead to criminal charges out of the inquiry.
I know it isn't the "legal" thing but the decent thing would be to answer the questions. But then they wouldn't do that for the Petitos back when so why would they now?

It may be about criminal charges like you say but this more than ever just makes them look guilty.

I still think their attorney could just object at trial time to each line of questioning or time frame, etc.

I sure don't know the laws with it but we do know a civil trial is a far lower bar of guilt than a criminal one. I would imagine then that there is also a lot more leeway given. However, I'm probably wrong and that's assuming the laws/procedures make sense and align in that way and that's probably not likely lol.

We will see I guess what the judge does. And this case still may not have a leg to stand on and be dismissed, hard to say. Be sad if the Petitos still don't get their answers...

I know it isn't the "legal" thing but the decent thing would be to answer the questions. But then they wouldn't do that for the Petitos back when so why would they now?

It may be about criminal charges like you say but this more than ever just makes them look guilty.

I still think their attorney could just object at trial time to each line of questioning or time frame, etc.

I sure don't know the laws with it but we do know a civil trial is a far lower bar of guilt than a criminal one. I would imagine then that there is also a lot more leeway given. However, I'm probably wrong and that's assuming the laws/procedures make sense and align in that way and that's probably not likely lol.

We will see I guess what the judge does. And this case still may not have a leg to stand on and be dismissed, hard to say. Be sad if the Petitos still don't get their answers...

When Sue sued the current owner of Jonestown, Jonestown's owner took the fifth on every question about her gambling. Soooooo....

When Sue sued the current owner of Jonestown, Jonestown's owner took the fifth on every question about her gambling. Soooooo....
Hmph. And I've been always given to understand they have to answer in depositions and on the stand in a civil trial. It's why many do them or even LE recommends they do to help get evidence for a criminal case sometimes. That was the deal in CO Frazee case it seems to me, the victim's family filed suit before the criminal thing. And a custody suit for victim's child.

I am not sure I knew they could plead the 5th in such a case. I mean we see the 5th invoked for many things by certain types (guilty ones generally I'd say) but there are rules for it.

Doesn't surprise me about the JT owner. But didn't know that. I couldn't dislike her any more I didn't think but yeah I can and that news makes me dislike her more. She is the epitome of everything I'd never want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back