Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Cantea was last seen when he visited a friend on July 3, 1975 to return a borrowed record. The friend said that Cantea was "rather nervous," and "declined to sit down and stay awhile."

Another friend called his family on July 6, 1975 to ask if they knew where Cantea was. A look around his Elizabeth Avenue apartment turned up nothing; everything was in order except that his personal items- wallet, car and house keys, comb, loose change and cash - were strewn about on his dresser. His 1965 Mustang sat outside.

His mother last saw him on June 22, 1975, when the family went to Seattle for an all-day outing. At the time, Cantea didn't seem troubled or upset in any way. He had just shed dozens of pounds and was healthy. He had plenty of friends and his family was not aware of any enemies. He has not been seen nor heard from since.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Bremerton Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Detective Crystal Gray
Agency Phone Number: (360) 473-5220
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: B9200520

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 1632

Information Source(s)

NamUs
Kitsap Sun
WASPC

Media - FRANCIS MARTIN CANTEA: Missing from Bremerton, WA since 3 July 1975 - Age 19

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I wonder if in spite of his outward happiness, Frank could have been secretly depressed. There are oftentimes very few (if any) super obvious warning signs that someone is suicidal. One of the major ones that's so easy to overlook is that people are sometimes very happy and relaxed right before they kill themselves because they know that whatever emotional pain they're currently in will soon be over. Frank's family claim that he was happy-go-lucky could fall into this category (although they do use the word "usual" when describing his cheerful demeanor, so maybe not). I also wonder if his nervous behavior was because his return of the record was sort of a "goodbye" to his friend and he was beginning to waffle in his decision. Perhaps he was afraid that if he stayed and chatted, he might lose his nerve. Again, this is all pure speculation and I'm probably 100% wrong. But that's kind of the impression I get given what little we have to go on.

However, I wonder if his friend Dan was looked at. As far as I can tell, we only really have his word that Dan stopped at his place to return the record.

Personally, I wonder if in spite of his outward happiness, Frank could have been secretly depressed. There are oftentimes very few (if any) super obvious warning signs that someone is suicidal. One of the major ones that's so easy to overlook is that people are sometimes very happy and relaxed right before they kill themselves because they know that whatever emotional pain they're currently in will soon be over. Frank's family claim that he was happy-go-lucky could fall into this category (although they do use the word "usual" when describing his cheerful demeanor, so maybe not). I also wonder if his nervous behavior was because his return of the record was sort of a "goodbye" to his friend and he was beginning to waffle in his decision. Perhaps he was afraid that if he stayed and chatted, he might lose his nerve. Again, this is all pure speculation and I'm probably 100% wrong. But that's kind of the impression I get given what little we have to go on.

However, I wonder if his friend Dan was looked at. As far as I can tell, we only really have his word that Dan stopped at his place to return the record.

You're right, there is very little to go on. I wonder if he drove his mustang to his friends house. I also wonder if he was alone or if someone was maybe waiting in the car...🤔 His nervousness is very strange.

You're right, there is very little to go on. I wonder if he drove his mustang to his friends house. I also wonder if he was alone or if someone was maybe waiting in the car...🤔 His nervousness is very strange.

That's what I'm wondering too. It'd be interesting to know if anyone in Frank's neighborhood noticed whether or not his Mustang was in front of the apartment during that entire three-day window.

Although I still kind of lead more toward a suicide, I'm still struck be the fact that it seems like we only have Dan's word about Frank coming over. Since these are very young adults, it's very possible that while Frank had his own place, Dan still lived with his parents and they were there to confirm Frank's presence that day. If Dan lived alone or was home alone, it really is just his word. The nervousness is troubling indeed. And it's such a vague term. What specific behaviors did Frank exhibit to make Dan describe him as nervous?

I also wondered about possible drug activity.

Right? Maybe he owed someone a large sum of money.

Not to sound cynical, but maybe drugs would explain the weight loss? I'd like to know how much he lost and over how long a period it came off.

The few articles and reports about this case keep mentioning the weight loss. I guess it could be to make the point that Frank looked different when he vanished than in his graduation photo (the face is one of the first things to thin out when you lose weight), but am I the only one that thinks it's kind of odd that they keep hammering that point home? Even the quote "shed dozens of pounds" sounds weird. They also seem to make a point to say that he was "healthy". It's like...why?

I'm actually the poster who posted that on Reddit. LOL

This case has so many unanswered questions. Even though we don't have an exact address online or even a block number, I tried looking up Elizabeth Ave. in Bremerton to get a general idea of what the neighborhood may have looked like. It looks like it's mostly single-family dwellings, but I don't know it that was the case in 1975. If it was, maybe Frank's apartment was more of a two-story house with the top and bottom floors as separate apartments rather than a complex. If that's the case, did anyone else occupy the other floor?

It just seems odd that, from what we know, no one appears to have seen or noticed anything in those three days.

This case has so many unanswered questions. Even though we don't have an exact address online or even a block number, I tried looking up Elizabeth Ave. in Bremerton to get a general idea of what the neighborhood may have looked like. It looks like it's mostly single-family dwellings, but I don't know it that was the case in 1975. If it was, maybe Frank's apartment was more of a two-story house with the top and bottom floors as separate apartments rather than a complex. If that's the case, did anyone else occupy the other floor?

It just seems odd that, from what we know, no one appears to have seen or noticed anything in those three days.
As I usually do, I'd like to know what's been going on in the life of the person who last saw Francis alive since he went missing. :thinking:

As I usually do, I'd like to know what's been going on in the life of the person who last saw Francis alive since he went missing. :thinking:

Me too. Looking up the name Dan DeRocca only brings up that article. Same with the other friend Toby Daniels. I'd also like to know more about Toby. I wonder if there was a specific reason he was looking for Frank.

We know that both boys knew Frank, but did Toby and Dan know one another?:unsure:

Not to sound cynical, but maybe drugs would explain the weight loss? I'd like to know how much he lost and over how long a period it came off.

The few articles and reports about this case keep mentioning the weight loss. I guess it could be to make the point that Frank looked different when he vanished than in his graduation photo (the face is one of the first things to thin out when you lose weight), but am I the only one that thinks it's kind of odd that they keep hammering that point home? Even the quote "shed dozens of pounds" sounds weird. They also seem to make a point to say that he was "healthy". It's like...why?
Yeah, my first thought was that he may have been using speed (on or off the street) to lose weight. Coming off of amphetamines often throws one into depression. Not to mention how and from who he was getting it, if that is by chance a factor.

Yeah, my first thought was that he may have been using speed (on or off the street) to lose weight. Coming off of amphetamines often throws one into depression. Not to mention how and from who he was getting it, if that is by chance a factor.

Some people who lose significant amounts of weight find themselves depressed once they achieve their goal. This is because they suddenly realize that nothing in their life apart from the number on the scale is magically improved. Any relationship problems, depression, etc. still remain because those issues were never addressed in conjunction with their diet and exercise plan. In other words, they never dealt with the personal problems that made them turn to food as a coping mechanism in the first place. Without knowing why they eat to cope, they often just gain the weight right back. Not to mention that at 5'8" and 210, he was still overweight, even if it wasn't by nearly as much as before. That could add to the frustration.

If Frank had some issues eating away at him that he never discussed with anyone, losing weight alone wouldn't have solved them.

Some people who lose significant amounts of weight find themselves depressed once they achieve their goal. This is because they suddenly realize that nothing in their life apart from the number on the scale is magically improved. Any relationship problems, depression, etc. still remain because those issues were never addressed in conjunction with their diet and exercise plan. In other words, they never dealt with the personal problems that made them turn to food as a coping mechanism in the first place. Without knowing why they eat to cope, they often just gain the weight right back. Not to mention that at 5'8" and 210, he was still overweight, even if it wasn't by nearly as much as before. That could add to the frustration.

If Frank had some issues eating away at him that he never discussed with anyone, losing weight alone wouldn't have solved them.
Great points- thanks!

I looked on Google maps and it seems that many of the apartments on that street have a body of water behind it. I wonder if it has ever been searched.

Strange case. Very little info. First I have read it. I myself see no reason not to share more details unless foul play is suspected. Is there even a time of day for the return of the record?

Thought on first reading is things strewn across the dresser top sounds almost like an emptying of the pockets. You are about to shower or change and throw what you had on in the laundry...

For some reason, holidays always strike me too and this was July 3rd. They can be very hard times for people if you don't have plans or friends, etc. Like others, the emphasis on weight loss seems a bit odd. I looked it up and July 3rd of '75 was a Thursday if I have it right so a long weekend was coming yet after that day...

Did I miss it or is there no info on whether he worked, attended college, etc.?

Also like the rest of you also seem to wonder, is there any verification at all that a record was really returned?

Did his family live in Bremerton? In a search it looks like it connects to Seattle by about an hour long ferry ride? I don't know enough about the area particularly not in 1975 but it sounds like not a typical place for a young 19 year old to choose to live?

Where are these little details? There seem to be none.

Even his comb was on his dresser. That is an emptying of all pockets in my opinion, most likely by him... To shower and change, to do laundry, some such... So then what happened...? Probably after any alleged record return unless the return was like next door or a block away, why would you go without anything, money, wallet, etc... I can't picture my brothers in the 70s ever leaving home without their wallet, etc. unless perhaps going next door or something for a few minutes...

Just talking out loud.... Thoughts...

But eating isn't always the reason someone is overweight and there is a deep issue behind it. Shouldn't assume that all the time.

Strange case. Very little info. First I have read it. I myself see no reason not to share more details unless foul play is suspected. Is there even a time of day for the return of the record?

Thought on first reading is things strewn across the dresser top sounds almost like an emptying of the pockets. You are about to shower or change and throw what you had on in the laundry...

For some reason, holidays always strike me too and this was July 3rd. They can be very hard times for people if you don't have plans or friends, etc. Like others, the emphasis on weight loss seems a bit odd. I looked it up and July 3rd of '75 was a Thursday if I have it right so a long weekend was coming yet after that day...

Did I miss it or is there no info on whether he worked, attended college, etc.?

Also like the rest of you also seem to wonder, is there any verification at all that a record was really returned?

Did his family live in Bremerton? In a search it looks like it connects to Seattle by about an hour long ferry ride? I don't know enough about the area particularly not in 1975 but it sounds like not a typical place for a young 19 year old to choose to live?

Where are these little details? There seem to be none.

Even his comb was on his dresser. That is an emptying of all pockets in my opinion, most likely by him... To shower and change, to do laundry, some such... So then what happened...? Probably after any alleged record return unless the return was like next door or a block away, why would you go without anything, money, wallet, etc... I can't picture my brothers in the 70s ever leaving home without their wallet, etc. unless perhaps going next door or something for a few minutes...

Just talking out loud.... Thoughts...
My Dad has never left his Wallet at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flipflop
Back