DYLAN REDWINE: Colorado vs. Mark Redwine for 2012 murder of 13-year-old son *GUILTY!*

Justice for Dylan Redwine: seven years and waiting

1581224854828.png 1581224921735.png

Dylan Redwine disappeared seven years ago Tuesday in La Plata County, an event that prompted a yearslong investigation that led to the arrest of the boy’s father on suspicion of murder.

Dylan’s disappearance Nov. 19, 2012, and subsequent homicide investigation sparked national attention. The boy, 13, was last seen with his father, Mark Redwine, on surveillance footage at the Durango-La Plata County Airport and at Walmart in Durango.

“It’s kind of surreal,” said Elaine Hatfield-Hall, Dylan’s mother, in an interview Tuesday with The Durango Herald. “Sometimes, it doesn’t feel like it happened.”

Dylan’s last known whereabouts were at his father’s home, 2343 County Road 500, just north of Vallecito Reservoir. His last phone activity or communication was at 9:37 p.m. Nov. 18, 2012, when he sent text messages to a friend about plans to meet up.

Dylan’s friend sent a text at 6:46 the next morning asking, “where are you,” and received no response.

Investigators found the boy’s partial remains in June 2013 about 8 miles up Middle Mountain Road. Hikers found the boy’s skull in November 2015 about 1½ miles up Middle Mountain Road from where the rest of his remains were found.

Law enforcement arrested Mark Redwine, now 58, in July 2017 in Washington state and accused him of second-degree murder and child abuse. He has been incarcerated ever since at the La Plata County Jail.

Redwine’s trial date has been postponed at least three times in the past year. He is currently scheduled for a four-week trial in April 2020.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
Oh? Now I'm scratching my head.
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe just trying to delay the case yet again? Maybe putting things out there to try to appeal later? Maybe hoping to upset potential jurors at the prosecution for "invading" their privacy?

I know in the Frazee case it was not quite the same but the defense complained that the prosecution has resources to do background checks on potential jurors, etc. that the defense does not have (paraphrasing). This is because they have deputies they can send out, records they can access, etc. Both sides try to gauge jurors. I think they also asked that it not be done, that each only know standards like name, age, etc...

Double edged sword maybe? In the Scott Peterson case they are now saying one juror did not disclose she had a court proceeding going on or had had one... Research ahead may have avoided this... It remains to be seen if it is any big deal or what the Court decides, I don't see it as that big of a deal but then...?
 

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

The trial for a Colorado father accused of killing his son is on hold​

A man accused of killing his 13-year-old son in southwestern colorado will have to wait a few extra days for the start of his trial. Jury selection has been underway for the trial of Mark Redwine since last week. Everything came to a screeching halt on Thursday after the judge in the case began experiencing Covid-19 symptoms. Results of his test are expected quickly and if he’s negative, jury selection can pick back up next week.


Jury selection in Mark Redwine trial on hold after judge experiences possible COVID-19 symptoms​

Jury selection is on hold in the murder trial of Mark Redwine after the presiding judge experienced possible symptoms of COVID-19.

According to Court Executive Eric Hogue, Chief Judge Jeffrey Wilson experienced a lack of taste and smell Thursday morning. The symptoms subsided later in the day.

Hogue said a blood test for COVID-19 came back negative, but they are also waiting for the result of a nasal swab. That isn't expected to come back until Saturday.

If the second test is negative, Hogue said, jury selection will resume Monday. If it's positive, Judge Wilson will declare a mistrial.
 

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Judge declares mistrial in murder case of 13-year-old Dylan Redwine​

The murder trial of Mark Redwine in the 2012 death of his 13-year-old son Dylan was declared a mistrial on Monday afternoon.

Mark Redwine's attorneys had requested the mistrial based on concerns about COVID-19. In a court hearing Monday morning, the defense team told the judge that members of their team were showing COVID-19 symptoms.

The defense team said they wanted to quarantine for 10 to 14 days, according to a spokesperson for the La Plata County District Attorney's Office.

According to the mistrial order from Chief Judge Jeffrey Wilson, the La Plata County district attorney, Christian Champagne, made allegations in a hearing Monday concerning recent behavior by one of Redwine's attorneys.

That allegation was "a report that a member of the defense team was seen interacting with others over the weekend in a manner not consistent with quarantine protocols," according to the DA's Office spokesperson.

The prosecution also said in the hearing that Redwine said in a phone call this past weekend from the La Plata County Detention Center that his defense was seeking to prolong the proceedings, the spokesperson said.

Wilson said in the mistrial order that he wasn't making a finding on the veracity of the allegations.

"If such allegations are true, the Court has no choice but to grant D-180 and declare a mistrial to ensure that Mr. Redwine has effective assistance of counsel," the order says.


‘It’s A Very Helpless, Hopeless Feeling’: Dylan Redwine’s Mother Reacts To Mistrial In Mark Redwine Murder Trial​

The mother of Dylan Redwine is reacting after a mistrial was called in her ex-husband’s murder trial in the death of their son.

Elaine Hall is frustrated with the speed of the trial and another delay.

“It makes me feel as victimized as I did in 2012 when Dylan went missing. I feel more helpless now than I did then. At least then I was searching… we were doing something. Now I can’t do anything. It’s a very helpless, hopeless feeling,” said Hall.

The mistrial was called on Monday after a delay last week when the judge took a coronavirus test after complaining of symptoms. That test came back negative and jury selection resumed on Monday but only for a short time.

The district attorney in court “made allegations concerning recent behavior of one of Mr. Redwine’s attorneys and the contents of a telephone call made from the La Plata County Jail,” according to new court records.

The records go on to say “The Court, for the reasons stated on the record and without making any findings as to the veracity of the allegations … has no choice but to … declare a mistrial to ensure that Mr. Redwine has effective assistance of counsel.”
 

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
I don't see anything saying they rescheduled this trial? Since both sides were to be ready, in my opinion, they should have gotten it on the docket right away. Dylan's mother has suffered enough.
 

Guess Who

Well-known member
I don't see anything saying they rescheduled this trial? Since both sides were to be ready, in my opinion, they should have gotten it on the docket right away. Dylan's mother has suffered enough.
First they have to refile since it was declared a mistrial. They might be waiting for the covid issue to resolve a bit before refiling, then they can schedule it.
 

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
This case has gone on and on and on! It is so maddening. Yes, they can call it again but I don't know if they're going to do it in the near future due to the Corona virus. He's still in jail though, right?
You know if our system did not allow cases to take years to begin with, Covid would not even be an issue in this trial as it would have already occurred.
 

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
First they have to refile since it was declared a mistrial. They might be waiting for the covid issue to resolve a bit before refiling, then they can schedule it.
There was another case just rescheduled on here but I don't know remember which one. I don't see why they could not have done the same here instead of calling a mistrial, just reschedule it. Not sure how it works but it seems like it could have been done that way.
 

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Judge sets January 2021 trial date for Mark Redwine following mistrial​

A 6th Judicial District judge on Friday set a tentative trial date for Mark Redwine for Jan. 25, 2021 after a mistrial was declared Monday because Redwine’s public defenders were experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and had to quarantine.

Bogan, Sixth Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne, and Judge Jeffrey Wilson walked through the number of days already used under the speedy trial statute, and the court agreed to set a tentative trial start date of Jan. 25.

Judge Wilson said he was unsure if the Jan. 25 trial date would be “realistic” with the current spike in COVID-19 in Colorado and across the country, and agreed with a request from Champagne to have a status conference on Jan. 5, 2021 to see if the trial date later in the month will be feasible.
 

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter

Judge sets January 2021 trial date for Mark Redwine following mistrial​

A 6th Judicial District judge on Friday set a tentative trial date for Mark Redwine for Jan. 25, 2021 after a mistrial was declared Monday because Redwine’s public defenders were experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and had to quarantine.

Bogan, Sixth Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne, and Judge Jeffrey Wilson walked through the number of days already used under the speedy trial statute, and the court agreed to set a tentative trial start date of Jan. 25.

Judge Wilson said he was unsure if the Jan. 25 trial date would be “realistic” with the current spike in COVID-19 in Colorado and across the country, and agreed with a request from Champagne to have a status conference on Jan. 5, 2021 to see if the trial date later in the month will be feasible.
Well, the delay bites but at least it is not six months to a year down the line. Yet.

Maybe now the behavior of the defense not practicing the rules needs to be looked at so it does not happen again, I am not even talking about sanctions, just ensuring it does not happen the next time.

I am not looking for a Covid discussion but just mean that if positive test results end a trial and there are rule to avoid that possibility, counsel should be following them.

Just irritated at delays and sad for the victims' families in these cases. Sigh.
 

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Mark Redwine trial moved to April​

The trial for Mark Redwine, who is charged in connection with the 2012 disappearance and death of his 13-year-old son Dylan Redwine, has been delayed again after a mistrial was declared late last year.

Mark Redwine's latest trial was set to begin late this month on Jan. 25, however during a hearing Tuesday morning, the trial was moved back and is now set to begin on Monday, April 12. A pre-trial conference hearing is set for March 5.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
2,245
Messages
93,609
Members
481
Latest member
Jeannette
Top