FL BRYAN DOS SANTOS GOMES: Missing from Fort Myers, FL - 1 Dec 2006 - Age 3 weeks

1638589781287.png 1638589800502.png 1638589849231.png 1638589998663.png

Bryan was abducted from Fort Myers, Florida on December 1, 2006. He and his mother, Maria de Fatima Ramos Dos Santos, were waiting with Maria's friend, Janice Duarte, at a bus stop when a woman drove up and asked for directions. She said she had been driving around for eight hours trying to find her mother's house.

Maria, Bryan and Duarte got on the bus, but the woman followed the bus until they got off and asked again for help. Maria, Bryan and Duarte got into her car. The woman later let Duarte go. Shortly afterwards she demanded $500 and made threats to Maria. She said she was going to Tampa, Florida but not to tell the police this or she would harm the women's families. She added that if the police stopped the car, the women had to claim they already knew each other.

The abductor eventually dropped Maria and her friend off at the roadside near the Villagio housing development off Three Oaks Parkway in Estero, Florida. She told them they had to wait ten minutes before calling anyone, then she drove away with Bryan. Neither Bryan nor his abductor have been heard from again.

A sketch of the abductor and an image of an SUV similar to the abduction vehicle are posted with this case summary. The abductor is described as being Hispanic, between 28 and 30 years old, heavyset and approximately 5'4 tall, with straight black hair which was partially pinned up in a bun. She wore blue jeans and a black blouse or t-shirt, and spoke Spanish. She is believed to have been driving a black two-door 1998 to 2003 Ford Explorer SUV with older, peeling window tint.

Maria stated there was a diaper bag and car seat in the SUV, indicating the abduction had been planned. The abductor should be considered to be armed and dangerous.

Photographs of Bryan's mother and his father, Jurandir Gomes Costa, are posted with this case summary. They are from a village in Minas Gerais, Brazil, and paid human traffickers helped them move the United States. Authorities theorized that Bryan was abducted in retaliation after Maria and Jurandir fell behind in the payments they owed to the smugglers.

Valter Coelho, an enforcer for a smuggling ring and an acquaintance of Maria's, was detained in connection with Bryan's abduction, but police could find no evidence to link him to the baby and he was deported to his native Brazil without being charged with anything.

Bryan's parents admitted to their illegal status and to owing hundreds of dollars to the smugglers, but denied that this could be the reason their child was taken.

Investigators now believe Bryan's kidnapping was a random crime. After his abduction, a Fort Myers woman went to the police and said she had been walking on the sidewalk with her infant grandchild when she was approached by a woman in a black SUV who asked for directions. This was in the same general vicinity as where Bryan was taken, and occurred only hours after his abduction.

The grandmother and Bryan's mother both picked the same person out of a photo lineup. The woman they identified was later cleared of suspicion, but investigators stated the two incidents were too similar to ignore and they believe Bryan's abductor had also accosted the other baby's grandmother. The abductor may be a woman who wanted a baby of her own; possibly she had experienced a miscarriage or stillbirth before she took Bryan.

Bryan's parents had two additional children following his abduction. Jurandir was arrested for driving without a license in November 2009 and was given over to the custody of immigration authorities the following month, pending deportation proceedings. He was released from detention under a supervision order in June 2010, however, and it remains to be seen whether he will be deported or not.

Maria stated she was going to try to get U Visas for herself and her husband. A U Visa is for victims of violent crimes and allows undocumented immigrants to remain in the United States legally for up to four years.

Bryan's disappearance remains unsolved and his kidnapper has never been identified. Authorities believe she may have been from South America or Mexico originally, or possibly a second-generation immigrant, and that English may be her first language, although she spoke Spanish during the abduction. His case remains unsolved.

CHARLEY PROJECT - Bryan Dos Santos-Gomes – The Charley Project

NCMEC - Have you seen this child? BRYAN DOSSANTOS-GOMES

NAMUS - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MEDIA - BRYAN DOS SANTOS GOMES: Missing from Fort Myers, FL since 1 Dec 2006 - Age 3 weeks

Last edited:
Family of boy missing for 15 years haven't lost hope their son is alive

A family hopes they don’t go through another holiday without their son. Someone kidnapped a baby named Bryan at knife point in Fort Myers 15 years ago.

In a WINK News exclusive, his family tells us they still have hope.

Bryan’s parents are asking him to look at their faces and see if there is any resemblance.

He was only four weeks old when he was kidnapped. His parents have maintained a strong faith their son is still alive and that they will be reunited with him again one day.

Christmas is a painful time for Maria Dossantos Gomes and Jurandir Gomes Costa. Their son Bryan was kidnapped just weeks before what would have been his first Christmas in 2006.

“It’s worse with the kids because I don’t want to cry in front of them. So, I go to the room to cry because the kids look at me and ask, ‘mom, why are you crying?’ and I get sadder because of the questions,” said Maria.

Bryan’s parents have had two children since Bryan was abducted. They pray every day he will come back home and their family will be complete.

“The kids ask me, ‘mom, why isn’t Bryan here? You don’t know where Bryan is.’ and I tell them, ‘I don’t know. But God always knows where he’s at. And takes care of him. And I believe one day he’s going to bring him back.'”

The middle image is what Bryan could look like today at 15-years-old.

Investigators say he may soon try to get a driver’s license or permit, and using a fake birth certificate could raise a red flag.

His mom Maria said, “sometimes I feel like my life isn’t worth it because my son has disappeared. I don’t know where he’s at. I don’t if he is well. I don’t know if he’s being taken care of to grow up and be a good boy.”

His father, Jurandir, has this message for Bryan. “That person that is with him, that is not ‘Dad’. We are the parents. I’m Dad and she is Mom.”

Every time a story about Bryan runs investigators say they get numerous tips.

His parents pray one will bring their boy back home. “I ask God, ‘if it’s your will that Bryan comes back. If I don’t deserve it, do it for the siblings so they can grow up together,'” said Maria.

The lead detective told WINK News that Bryan’s mother submitted her DNA to a database called ‘family tree’. If at any point Bryan submits his own DNA it will show the match.

By FOX 35 News Staff
Published February 22, 2023 4:24PM

ORLANDO, Fla. - In Florida, there are nine children that have been reported missing to law enforcement and have never been found, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's website.

The majority of the kids were either kidnapped or disappeared under suspicious circumstances, authorities said.

Here are the Missing Child Alerts/AMBER Alerts that remain active in hopes that the community will come forward.

<snip>

Bryan Dossantos-Gomes

• Missing Since: 12/01/2006
  • Missing From: Fort Myers
  • Age Missing: 4 weeks old
  • Age Now: 16
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: White
Bryan was last seen in Estero area. He may be with a heavyset white/hispanic woman who was believed to be 28 to 30 years old at the time Bryan went missing. The unknown woman, who may be armed and dangeougs, had long straight black hair and was wearing blue jeans and a black blouse. The pair could be traveling in a two door black Ford Explorer SUV.

Unsolved AMBER Alerts: These Children Still Need Your Help​

Since the first AMBER Alert program launched 27 years ago, more than 1,140 children have been recovered safely as a direct result of AMBER Alerts and the incredible communities that respond to them.

In 2022, 74% of AMBER Alert cases were recovered within six hours and 93% were recovered within 24 hours.

NCMEC is asking for the public’s help in finding these missing children. If you have any information, please call us immediately at 1-800-THE-LOST.

bryan's picture, brian's age progression, and suspect drawing

Bryan Dossantos-Gomes was just four weeks old on December 1, 2006 when he was allegedly abducted at knifepoint by a stranger while on a walk with his mother in Fort Myers, Florida. According to law enforcement, the abductor, a heavyset white/Hispanic female in her late twenties, was traveling in a two-door black Ford Explorer SUV. She had long straight black hair and was wearing blue jeans and a black blouse. Law enforcement says she should be considered armed and dangerous. Bryan would now be 16; his abductor approximately 45 to 47.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back