GA ATLANTA JOHN DOE: WM, 20-30, found on the side of I 75 in Atlanta, GA - 20 Jul 1995 *STEVEN SHELTON*

178UMGA - Unidentified Male

1609933533568.png1609933538896.png1609933545741.png1609933553837.png1609933562179.png

Reconstructions of the victim by Marla Lawson and Wes Neville; victim's tattoos.

Date of Discovery: July 20, 1995
Location of Discovery: Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
Date of Death: June 24, 1996
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Hit and run vehicle accident

Physical Description

Estimated Age: 20-30 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 85 lbs. (after hospitalization)
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Light brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: A serpent or dragon on the chest and stomach. The word "Virgo" in blue on the left shoulder. A red and blue flaming Star or planet in the web between the thumb and index finger. A globe surrounded by letters on the left forearm. The tattoos were somewhat recent.

Identifiers

Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown.

Circumstances of Discovery

Atlanta police picked up the unidentified man on the side of Interstate 75 late at night on July 20, 1995, and took him to Grady Hospital with severe head injuries. He was hospitalized for almost one year and died in the hospital on June 24, 1996.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office
Agency Contact Person: Dumonder Dawson
Agency Phone Number: 404-613-4400
Agency E-Mail: fcme(at)co.fulton.ga.us
Agency Case Number: 96-1115

NCIC Case Number: U194513653
NamUs Case Number: 691

Information Source(s)

NamUs
FCMEO
Georgia Bureau of Investigation
Maryland Missing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!! I figured out the news on the 12th of this month the day after he was identified on the 11th. I didn't come on here to tell anyone because I've just been happy go lucky and excited and I was hoping you guys would figure it out before I came on here. You guys beat me to the punch!! His name is of course Steven W. Shelton and his headstone from where he was buried says he was born in 73' so he was 23 years old when he passed. They can't share his middle name or any details but his first name is good enough for me. His fingerprints is what Identified him. They get these from if he's ever been to a hospital, been to jail, or anywhere where his birth certificate would have to be submitted because fingerprints are attached to birth documents. I decided I'm gonna get a tattoo for this! A little fingerprint on my wrist where my pulse would be taken because the case has been my life since I started on it when I was in junior high school and still on WS. I'm now about to graduate and move out of my parents house, and i have a college picked out! This is beautiful news, and this is a beautiful almost 30 year old story with an amazing ending. I love you all so much❤️

Just run the name through missing person's reports!!
Unfortunately, NamUs didn't exist until 2007, so finding every missing person report wasn't easy): he was young and looked young, he was 23, but it was clear he wasn't under 18 so he wouldn't be in NCMEC. It's also possible he wouldn't be there because a lot of people go missing or run off and nobody notices or assumes they'll come back and never reports it. But, even so, they could have done more and we would have known his name long before this month. Thank god some new tech came out! We would still be putting his sketch up on bulletins.

It's ridiculous. It didn't have to be a big mystery. I'm glad it isn't anymore. But complete incompetence, And laziness. IMO, Because to them, He didn't seem like anyone.
I'm glad that now we have no reason to be angry. We did, and people did that man very wrong, but now he has a full name and many people said he wouldn't get it. It only took a few persistent and kind people, and some new tech, but now he's buried peacefully waiting for his family to claim them. The worst part is finally over! :)

I'm glad that now we have no reason to be angry. We did, and people did that man very wrong, but now he has a full name and many people said he wouldn't get it. It only took a few persistent and kind people, and some new tech, but now he's buried peacefully waiting for his family to claim them. The worst part is finally over! :)
YOU did so much on this case. It is very commendable. :hugs::shower:

YOU did so much on this case. It is very commendable. :hugs::shower:
And who knows, maybe her pushing led to this in one way or another. Having one agency call another about someone who might be him maybe got the file out again and someone said hey you know, this one isn't likely a match but we could send this in on that new tech and maybe close this one out, this guy needs a name and we need answers. Just a possibility when MN called GA etc. on her thoughts, it brought attention to it again... Perhaps?

Anyhow, now that they matched prints to some record of his somewhere, it will be short order before they know more about him and his family and life and perhaps they already do.

And who knows, maybe her pushing led to this in one way or another. Having one agency call another about someone who might be him maybe got the file out again and someone said hey you know, this one isn't likely a match but we could send this in on that new tech and maybe close this one out, this guy needs a name and we need answers. Just a possibility when MN called GA etc. on her thoughts, it brought attention to it again... Perhaps?

Anyhow, now that they matched prints to some record of his somewhere, it will be short order before they know more about him and his family and life and perhaps they already do.
I'm gonna email the agency today and ask them a little about the technology today. I'm so excited to learn more about the invention that made my dream come true. If my calls and emails and persistence helped, that would really make it all worth it. I hope it did. But even if not, he has a name and that's the big picture. I'm so happy! :)

Other than me getting a tattoo, (my first tattoo that is), we need a crimestopper celebration every time someone is identified as a tradition. Any ideas? I'm gonna move this to the basement
Well there is a tiki bar in the basement but you are too young and we'd end up in trouble...

Seriously though maybe there could be some tradition started for when a perp is arrested, a body is identified, a case is solved, etc. where any member can use the same banner or emoji or something to come into the basement to show something "broke" for news on the cases. It could be the same or different for the type of case or crime, etc. Just a breaking good news kind of thing or something? With happy, celebratory things and a bullhorn even lol.

I have over my time here gone in there when I've posted they found someone in a thread or news is breaking on a case but it hasn't been noticed yet in the thread to say hey they've found this poor child's body or some such or hey an arrest was made.

But yes it needs to be celebratory too and should involve the tiki bar for the adults but maybe we could let you have a POP (do NOT tell me it is soda) with some cherries added for a special occasion in a real glass, not a can.

Seriously though, you are pretty adult for your age with the dedication and passion you put towards concern of this poor man in this case.

Since it was fingerprints and in addition to your tattoo I think it calls for a nail job. finger related as well. I'm thinking a cool shade of blue for justice, the peace it brings, etc. with maybe one orange for happiness....? Or just blues in different hues...? Maybe do it each time a Doe is identified... OR keep it just for the ones ID'd by this new fingerprint tech thing...

Well there is a tiki bar in the basement but you are too young and we'd end up in trouble...

Seriously though maybe there could be some tradition started for when a perp is arrested, a body is identified, a case is solved, etc. where any member can use the same banner or emoji or something to come into the basement to show something "broke" for news on the cases. It could be the same or different for the type of case or crime, etc. Just a breaking good news kind of thing or something? With happy, celebratory things and a bullhorn even lol.

I have over my time here gone in there when I've posted they found someone in a thread or news is breaking on a case but it hasn't been noticed yet in the thread to say hey they've found this poor child's body or some such or hey an arrest was made.

But yes it needs to be celebratory too and should involve the tiki bar for the adults but maybe we could let you have a POP (do NOT tell me it is soda) with some cherries added for a special occasion in a real glass, not a can.

Seriously though, you are pretty adult for your age with the dedication and passion you put towards concern of this poor man in this case.

Since it was fingerprints and in addition to your tattoo I think it calls for a nail job. finger related as well. I'm thinking a cool shade of blue for justice, the peace it brings, etc. with maybe one orange for happiness....? Or just blues in different hues...? Maybe do it each time a Doe is identified... OR keep it just for the ones ID'd by this new fingerprint tech thing...
That's a great idea! I might go get some nails today. For Halloween I'm doing a special Halloween theme if I get some. It's my favorite holiday so it was like a miracle that he was identified near Halloween. Makes it all more magical. Maybe we can all subscribe to the DNA doe project and NCMEC, NamUs, etc so we can get emails when something big happens? And we can check the site every once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back