AHMAUD ARBERY: Georgia vs Greg & Travis McMichael & William Bryan for murder *GUILTY*

1588813454918.png 1588813480378.png
Mother seeks justice after son shot while jogging in Brunswick, pair involved in killing not arrested

It’s been over two months since a young black man jogging in Brunswick, Ga., was gunned down by two white men who said they thought he was a possible burglar.

Ahmaud Arbery’s mother wants to know where is the justice.

“I just think about how they could allow these two men to kill my son and not be arrested, that’s what I can’t understand,” Wanda Cooper told news partner First Coast News.

A police report states about 1 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23, Glynn County officers responded to Satilla and Holmes drives where shots were fired. They found Arbery, 25, dead on the scene.

Gregory McMichael, who worked several years for the Brunswick Police Department before serving as an investigator in the Brunswick District Attorney’s Office, told police there were several break-ins in the neighborhood. He said he saw Arbery running down Satilla Drive and asked his son Travis McMichael to help him confront him.

McMichael and his son got a shotgun and handgun because they “didn’t know if Arbery was armed or not.”

The father and son got into their truck and drove down Satilla toward Burford Drive. Gregory McMichael stated when they arrived at Holmes Drive, they saw Arbery running down Burford, according to the report.

Gregory McMichael told police they attempted to cut off Arbery and shouted “stop, stop, we want to talk to you.”

McMichael pulled up next to Arbery, and Travis McMichael got out of the truck with the shotgun. According to statements, that’s when the father said Arbery attacked his son and the two men started fighting over the shotgun. Travis McMichael fired a shot and then a second shot.

After video appears to show black jogger gunned down by 2 white men in coastal Georgia, family demands arrests

The fatal shooting of a black man — apparently recorded on video in February and posted online Tuesday by a local radio station host — will go to a grand jury in coastal Georgia, according to a district attorney.

Elements of the disturbing video are consistent with a description of the shooting given to police by one of those involved in the incident.

Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was jogging in a neighborhood outside Brunswick on February 23 when a former police officer and his son chased him down, authorities said. According to a Glynn County Police report, Gregory McMichael later told officers that he thought Arbery looked like a person suspected in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

After they chased down Arbery, McMichael told police, Arbery and McMichael’s son Travis struggled over his son’s shotgun. McMichael said two shots were fired before Arbery fell to the street, the report said.

S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for the Arbery family, said in a statement that the two men involved in the chase “must be taken into custody pending their indictment.”

Gov. Brian Kemp said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has offered resources to Durden for his investigation. “Georgians deserve answers,” Kemp tweeted.

Kemp also retweeted the GBI’s post that Durden “formally requested the GBI to investigate the death of Ahmaud Arbery.”

Attachments

• 1588813857428.png
    1588813857428.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 2
Washington Post

How a shaky cellphone video changed the course of the Ahmaud Arbery murder case​

By Meryl Kornfield
Yesterday at 10:41 p.m. EST|Updated yesterday at 10:47 p.m. EST

The first news story about the Feb. 23, 2020, shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a mere four paragraphs, offered little detail about what led to the death of the 25-year-old.

In the small coastal Georgia town of Brunswick, rumors swirled about a Black man who was shot while being pursued by two armed White men in a pickup truck, but no one was charged and the case received little attention nationally. It wasn’t until May 5, when a local radio station uploaded graphic footage of the deadly chase, that widespread outrage ensued. Two days later — 74 days after Arbery was killed while on a jog — arrests were made.

The convictions of Travis McMichael, 35, his father, Greg McMichael, 65, and their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan, 52, on Wednesday raised recollections of the beginning of the case when police let the men walk free and two prosecutors did not press charges. Yet, after just two days of deliberations, the jury found the three men guilty of murder and other charges for the pursuit and fatal shooting of Arbery.

“We came very close to this crime not being prosecuted at all,” said Clark D. Cunningham, a professor at the Georgia State University College of Law.

After the Brunswick district attorney and Waycross district attorney recused themselves without charging the men, Cunningham noted two aspects of the case that made the arrests — and subsequent convictions — possible: Greg McMichael’s decision to share the video of the slaying with the public and Arbery’s outspoken family receiving national support and attention.
“We shouldn’t count on those kinds of things for justice to be done,” Cunningham said.

Arbery, a former high school football standout and avid runner, was killed weeks before George Floyd. But it wasn’t until the release of the video — showing men chasing him, cornering him and shooting him on a quiet suburban street — that the violence helped amplify the racial justice demonstrations of last year.

In an unlikely turn of events, Greg McMichael, with the help of attorney Alan Tucker, brought Bryan’s unsteady cellphone footage to radio station WGIG with the hope of absolving the men in the court of public opinion, WSB-TV Channel 2 reported.

“There had been very little information provided by the police department or the district attorney’s office, but there was entirely too much speculation, rumor, false narratives, and outright lies surrounding this event,” Tucker told Georgia Public Broadcasting last year. Tucker did not respond to requests for comment from The Washington Post on Wednesday. The McMichaels’ attorneys did not immediately respond to similar requests Wednesday night.

Instead, the video published online by the radio station surfaced questions nationwide about racial profiling and the lack of criminal charges.

At the time, Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, called it a lynching “before our very eyes.”

Like Cunningham, University of Maryland sociology professor Rashawn Ray said there wouldn’t have been a trial, let alone a conviction, without the video repeatedly aired in court after Greg McMichael made it public.

“Video is an objective observer,” Ray said. “It’s very clear what happened. And I think part of what the McMichaels were trying to leverage was what their defense attorneys were trying to allege: that the mere presence, the mere physical body of Ahmaud Arbery as a Black person just running through the street should pose a big enough threat to justify their use of force.”

For the nation, outrage ensued after the release of the footage of Arbery’s killing.

But for Larry Hobbs, who wrote that first short news article, doubts about the case were raised at the onset.

Hobbs, one of four reporters at the daily Brunswick News, said police wouldn’t answer his questions or even tell him Arbery’s name, which he discovered by calling the coroner. He published four stories before he obtained the police report, based almost entirely on an interview with Greg McMichael, who said he told his son to grab his gun when he saw a Black man running.

“Red flags start going up,” Hobbs said. “All the things started falling into place that this wasn’t right.”

Prosecutors were also not forthcoming, he said. Jackie Johnson, the Brunswick district attorney who was later indicted over her handling of the investigation and was voted out of office, gave the case to Waycross District Attorney George Barnhill. Barnhill justified the use of force as a lawful “citizen’s arrest” in a letter to police. Meanwhile, he told Hobbs he was still investigating, Hobbs said.

“The main thing I did was just not let go of it,” Hobbs said. “I didn’t do any great writing. I didn’t do any investigative reporting. I’m a small-town newspaper. We don’t really have time to invest. I come in every day and there’s an empty newspaper I have to do my part to fill up.”

At that time, the New York Times reported on the shooting, bringing national exposure and emerging details of the video that would later be released. Still, Hobbs has been credited for his dogged reporting, as he stayed on the case, covering the trial every day until he wrote Wednesday’s story of the conviction.

“Guilty. Guilty. Guilty,” he wrote.

Leaving the courthouse, Hobbs spoke with Arbery’s father, Marcus, and choked up hearing him say his son just wanted to “run and dream.”
“In times of reckoning, we’ve come up wanting so many times, especially people from my demographic,” Hobbs said. “The South got it right today.”
Hannah Knowles contributed to this report.

Police investigating shooting death in Satilla Shores​

By LARRY HOBBS
lhobbs@thebrunswicknews.com
  • Feb 24, 2020
Police are investigating the shooting death of a 25-year-old Brunswick man Sunday afternoon in the Satilla Shores neighborhood in southern Glynn County, according to police reports and the county coroner.

Ahmaud Arbery died at the scene of the 1:08 p.m. shooting in the 200 block of Satilla Shores Drive, Glynn County Coroner Marc Neu said Monday.

Glynn Police spokesman Brandon Kondo said Monday morning that the shooting death is “still very much an active investigation.” Police are declining to release further details at this time.

According to a county police report, an officer was called to a report of “shots fired and a male on the ground ‘bleeding out’” at the intersection of Satilla and Holmes drives. “A short time later I was advised the male on the ground was deceased…" the officer reported.

Former Georgia District Attorney Charged With Obstructing the Ahmaud Arbery Case​

Jackie Johnson, former district attorney of Glynn County, has been arrested and charged with alleged mishandling of the case of Ahmaud Arbery, CBS News reports.

The prosecution team alleged that she used her influence and position to intentionally delay arrests of the group of white men who pursued and killed the 25-year-old Arbery.

On Wednesday, Johnson turned herself into the Glynn County Sheriff’s office after a grand jury indicted her on counts of obstruction and violations of her oath by a public officer last week. She was released from the Glynn County Detention Center on a $10,000 bond.

How did indicted former DA Jackie Johnson initially prevent arrests in Ahmaud Arbery's killing?​

It took police 74 days to arrest Ahmaud Arbery's killers. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says the primary reason for this delayed justice is former Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson.

For her alleged role in preventing a proper investigation, Johnson, 49, was indicted Sept. 8 by a Glynn County grand jury on charges of “violation of oath of a public officer” and “obstruction and hindering a law enforcement officer,” her indictment states.

The indictment states that Johnson failed “to treat Ahmaud Arbery and his family fairly and with dignity” when she didn't disclose that she went to another Georgia DA for assistance with the case.

Johnson says she recused herself from the case because one of the killers, Greg McMichael, previously worked in her office. The indictment states that Johnson showed McMichael "favor and affection during the investigation."

Johnson also “knowingly and willfully” directed two Glynn County police officers not to arrest Travis McMichael, “contrary to the laws of said state,” the indictment states.

While I know my opinion of this case and the defendants from what we know, I'm not sure what I think of this... GFM does nothing about other cases where people have complained and asked if the money was used for what was intended... Morphew for instance... I don't know their fine print though.... Or rules... Anyhow, f/y/i...

While I know my opinion of this case and the defendants from what we know, I'm not sure what I think of this... GFM does nothing about other cases where people have complained and asked if the money was used for what was intended... Morphew for instance... I don't know their fine print though.... Or rules... Anyhow, f/y/i...

They removed one for Rittenhouse too but before it went to trial.

They removed one for Rittenhouse too but before it went to trial.
It is not a "race" or "political" type of case nor are their the same reasons but they haven't done anything about Morphew and many others through the years I have heard of where they make the recipients show they used it for the intentions stated when people donate. Or some fraudulent ones as well... Based on lies.

So I guess I mean with overall rules, okay, they won't finance defense of someone charged with a crime (not that they finance it, they only collect their fee) but they won't put some standards on some other things.

I didn't know that with Rittenhouse. I also didn't know it was a rule so it's interesting to learn that.

So, on this they show Kevin Gough (Roddie Bryan's attorney. The black preacher hater.) does an interview with ABC before Roddie is arrested saying he was only trying to record what happened, he just wanted to see what was going on.

Later in the show Bryan is shown on police body cam saying he was trying to box Arbery in.

I think out of all the defendants, Roddie Bryan has the best chance for a re-trial due to ineffective council.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back