AHMAUD ARBERY: Georgia vs Greg & Travis McMichael & William Bryan for murder *GUILTY*

1588813454918.png 1588813480378.png
Mother seeks justice after son shot while jogging in Brunswick, pair involved in killing not arrested

It’s been over two months since a young black man jogging in Brunswick, Ga., was gunned down by two white men who said they thought he was a possible burglar.

Ahmaud Arbery’s mother wants to know where is the justice.

“I just think about how they could allow these two men to kill my son and not be arrested, that’s what I can’t understand,” Wanda Cooper told news partner First Coast News.

A police report states about 1 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23, Glynn County officers responded to Satilla and Holmes drives where shots were fired. They found Arbery, 25, dead on the scene.

Gregory McMichael, who worked several years for the Brunswick Police Department before serving as an investigator in the Brunswick District Attorney’s Office, told police there were several break-ins in the neighborhood. He said he saw Arbery running down Satilla Drive and asked his son Travis McMichael to help him confront him.

McMichael and his son got a shotgun and handgun because they “didn’t know if Arbery was armed or not.”

The father and son got into their truck and drove down Satilla toward Burford Drive. Gregory McMichael stated when they arrived at Holmes Drive, they saw Arbery running down Burford, according to the report.

Gregory McMichael told police they attempted to cut off Arbery and shouted “stop, stop, we want to talk to you.”

McMichael pulled up next to Arbery, and Travis McMichael got out of the truck with the shotgun. According to statements, that’s when the father said Arbery attacked his son and the two men started fighting over the shotgun. Travis McMichael fired a shot and then a second shot.

After video appears to show black jogger gunned down by 2 white men in coastal Georgia, family demands arrests

The fatal shooting of a black man — apparently recorded on video in February and posted online Tuesday by a local radio station host — will go to a grand jury in coastal Georgia, according to a district attorney.

Elements of the disturbing video are consistent with a description of the shooting given to police by one of those involved in the incident.

Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was jogging in a neighborhood outside Brunswick on February 23 when a former police officer and his son chased him down, authorities said. According to a Glynn County Police report, Gregory McMichael later told officers that he thought Arbery looked like a person suspected in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

After they chased down Arbery, McMichael told police, Arbery and McMichael’s son Travis struggled over his son’s shotgun. McMichael said two shots were fired before Arbery fell to the street, the report said.

S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for the Arbery family, said in a statement that the two men involved in the chase “must be taken into custody pending their indictment.”

Gov. Brian Kemp said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has offered resources to Durden for his investigation. “Georgians deserve answers,” Kemp tweeted.

Kemp also retweeted the GBI’s post that Durden “formally requested the GBI to investigate the death of Ahmaud Arbery.”

Attachments

• 1588813857428.png
    1588813857428.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 2
Here is more from the above link: "
"Real Property
Georgia also defines criminal trespass in relation to real property. It is unlawful to enter someone's land or premises after having been warned by the owner not to or to remain on the property or premises after having been told to leave by the owner. It is also criminal trespass to enter a person's land or premises with the intent of committing any unlawful act. Georgia's criminal trespass law is written so that in addition to trespass on land, entering any kind of vehicle under circumstances that would constitute criminal trespass on land is also criminal trespass."
Even if any of this applied which I do not believe does, it is STILL a misdemeanor.
yes and cops have better things to do than go after somebody that the owner has no intention of filing charges against for something so minor.

Maybe I am the only one but I had not seen this full video clip with sound until now. I have watched it a few times already and it is so clear what I am seeing. They ARE boxing him in. He sees the man outside the truck with the gun and tries to run around it and get safe from it by running around to the right side. He had to come back out from the right side past the truck. Shots are heard before he ever struggles for the gun. This was an AMBUSH. I also read an article that stated at no time did the McGregorys allegedly refer to this as a citizen's arrest, that came from LE or the prosecutor when not pressing charges. If there are others like me, who have not seen this full video with sound, I will say:

WARNING/GRAPHIC.

Maybe I am the only one but I had not seen this full video clip with sound until now. I have watched it a few times already and it is so clear what I am seeing. They ARE boxing him in. He sees the man outside the truck with the gun and tries to run around it and get safe from it by running around to the right side. He had to come back out from the right side past the truck. Shots are heard before he ever struggles for the gun. This was an AMBUSH. I also read an article that stated at no time did the McGregorys allegedly refer to this as a citizen's arrest, that came from LE or the prosecutor when not pressing charges. If there are others like me, who have not seen this full video with sound, I will say:

WARNING/GRAPHIC.

That's how I saw it too but was giving them the benefit since I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

That's how I saw it too but was giving them the benefit since I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
but with even not being sure that was what i was seeing, there is no excuse for drawing a shotgun at somebody for simply being seen at somebody else's property with absolutely no proof that the person committed a crime at all. The owner is even stating that no crime was committed at the property. Did these guys go and chase any of the other people that were observed at the property with a shotgun that were doing the exact same thing?

I did too and I had heard at least one shot was fired before he tried to get the gun away and I trusted that comment but had never actually heard it until now. The more I watch that, the more cemented is my opinion. I wonder if LE even has more video from homes and such...

but with even not being sure that was what i was seeing, there is no excuse for drawing a shotgun at somebody for simply being seen at somebody else's property with absolutely no proof that the person committed a crime at all. The owner is even stating that no crime was committed at the property. Did these guys go and chase any of the other people that were observed at the property with a shotgun that were doing the exact same thing?
Yes, I agree. Watching this complete video to me does not even look like a citizen's arrest at all. It looks like a hunting party, I am sorry, box the person in and shoot without hesitation. The only reason I can see for something like this is if this was some active shooter that had just and still was killing people! And he was no such thing. Had that truck not been there he would have simply kept jogging.

Guess I am a bit heated right now from just watching it a few times. I saw a view or two I had not noticed before OR I did not see the entire thing.

He didn't get shot for trespassing. His repeated trespassing only instigated the confrontation. He got shot for attacking a man with a shotgun. If one gets shot while attacking someone with a gun, be it a police officer or private citizen, I find it very difficult to call that person a victim.
So we can agree that your comparison is not relevant?

So they had enough cause to search the home of the first two and now enough to search the home of the third guy and get warrants... This bunch had better hope they do not find anything that makes this any worse for them than they have already made it for themselves.

Edited because I posted the incorrect link.

yes, but I can still choose to not prosecute and nobody else can "detain" a person by pointing a shotgun at them for trespassing on MY property. We had a problem house in our neighborhood that was habitually trespassed upon. Since the owner of the hone would not file charges against the known trespassers, the only time cops would come is when they were trespassing upon other properties that the owners would file charges against. Cops have more important things to deal with than somebody looking at somebody else's property without the owner doing anything about it. If it's not posted "no trespassing" by the owner and the owner will not file charges, it's a non crime in their world. As it should be.
It isn't clear whether the property was posted with signs or not. Given that the owner had installed cameras and motion sensors, it likely was. The question of whether or not the McMichaels were justified in detaining him is a key matter the jury is going to have to decide. Whether or not someone who repeatedly trespasses on a property(previously at night), who immediately runs away when approached, can be reasonably suspected of having the intent to commit theft or other felony.

How did they know he was trespassing? The owner could have asked him to check on things for him. Also, if a Girl scout walks up your driveway to see if you'd like to order some cookies, she's trespassing too and is perfectly fine to kill, I guess.
Likely because they recognized him from the previous occasions when he was trespassing.

In all frankness, that's a pretty childish remark to make. A Girl Scout or salesman coming to your front door is using what's called "public access". Coming into the house would be a whole different matter. Surely you understand the distinction.

So we can agree that your comparison is not relevant?
No, we can't agree. My comparison was simply to illustrate who should/should not be considered a victim. A bank robber doesn't necessarily deserve to die for robbing a bank either, but if he attacks the cops on his way out and gets killed, I don't consider him a victim. The same is true in this case. If you're committing a crime and attack someone who approaches you, I have a hard time calling you the victim.

Likely because they recognized him from the previous occasions when he was trespassing.

In all frankness, that's a pretty childish remark to make. A Girl Scout or salesman coming to your front door is using what's called "public access". Coming into the house would be a whole different matter. Surely you understand the distinction.

Surely you understand some distinctions you seem to be missing or there are facts and laws you are ignoring. While entitled to your opinion and mine often does not lean the way it does in this case, believe it or not, you are trying to make things fit what you want to believe. Everything that has come out is just more damning on these three. As with the law, you are ignoring key points. I posted the trespassing law above for Georgia and to our knowledge, no one ever requested he leave nor told him to get out, he was not chased by the homeowner, trespassing is a misdemeanor and first he has to be shown to be trespassing even then (and so much more that could be said on that). The homeowner with all of the entries by all sorts of people never reported a theft or damage to his property that we know of. If you are open to reading things that do not support your opinion, this one is a bit dated but is from a defense attorney with 25 years' experience (not prosecution) in Georgia and her opinion--

I also suggest you watch the uncut video a few more times without trying to make it fit your beliefs and the link is also in this article, that is where I encountered it today. He has a man in the pickup bed with a gun and goes to the right and tries to go around both and the one on the left side is there and he was shot and would have been in his split he had instant to decide what to do or die. I have listened and watched more than once. I could even say a lot more.

He was not running at an escape pace when the vehicle following him was following him. He was at a normal pace imo.

Now please provide your link of otherwise and that he ran from the home he was in after being seen and ran because he knew he was in trouble??

And who ever told us it was a law to stop or run and get shot in the back if a bunch of citizens who are not cops nor in a cop car challenge you or tell you to stop with firearms. While old school citizen's arrests may be on the books, as the woman says in the article I post below, they were created for shop owners to detain shoplifters (and that is stealing!) not to shoot them if they can't detain them. While it may apply to some other situations, there are strict rules. This case does not apply, they had no such right imo.

As for calling anyone childish, you are trying to tell people what you believe is right and everyone else is wrong and the facts do not support it thus far in any way, shape or form. Your opinion is in the minority. If you can produce anything to change it, I am open minded. With all due respect for differing opinions.

Here is the link to the defense attorney and then the video. *Edited to fix typos.

No, we can't agree. My comparison was simply to illustrate who should/should not be considered a victim. A bank robber doesn't necessarily deserve to die for robbing a bank either, but if he attacks the cops on his way out and gets killed, I don't consider him a victim. The same is true in this case. If you're committing a crime and attack someone who approaches you, I have a hard time calling you the victim.
I don't necessarily consider a bank robber to be a victim. There is no question about a bank robbers intentions.. however, I do consider Arbary to be a victim, there are many questions surrounding his intentions. I don't understand the logic behind the comparison.

I don't necessarily consider a bank robber to be a victim. There is no question about a bank robbers intentions.. however, I do consider Arbary to be a victim, there are many questions surrounding his intentions. I don't understand the logic behind the comparison.

I don't want to appear to be ganging up in any way but I agree. It is far from the same. No comparison at all. I could add that a bank robbery is a federal offense and a trespass in GA (if indeed it even fits), is a misdemeanor and not a federal offense. There just is no comparison.

It isn't clear whether the property was posted with signs or not. Given that the owner had installed cameras and motion sensors, it likely was. The question of whether or not the McMichaels were justified in detaining him is a key matter the jury is going to have to decide. Whether or not someone who repeatedly trespasses on a property(previously at night), who immediately runs away when approached, can be reasonably suspected of having the intent to commit theft or other felony.
how do you figure it was likely that it was posted "no trespassing" just because cameras were installed? I have cameras and everybody that I know that has cameras has no such posting. None of us. Do you know how many houses are sold just because somebody walked in on the construction and loved the floor plan? That house was in the rough in stage. There was nothing to be stolen from it. What are you assuming he was going to steal? If you have crew that is leaving tools out on a job site, you better start looking for another crew to do that part of the job. If they can't take care of their own property, why would they take any better care of yours? Their tools are how they make a living and people that do that take care of their tools. So, again, what are you assuming he was there to steal?

I have worked in a job that saw construction thefts. They generally were a rural property, someone comes in with a pickup truck or trailer at night and takes delivered materials like roofing shingles, 2x4s, or whatever... As others say, hand tools are not left in an unlocked open house. We know of NO thefts reported. The job I talked about there was a common denominator and a thought that was pretty certain of who or some who were doing such thefts but not enough to arrest EVEN by LE much less the homeowners and this case was not the homeowners and NO THEFTS were reported. This guy went in, maybe wrong to do so, in broad daylight with no vehicle, never damaged anything, had nothing to hold anything if there was anything to steal, etc. I feel it is basically indefensible as the facts stand now as to what the 3 men did and how they reacted.

Vigilantes. Period. It's how they look unfortunately and I don't see much to dispute it and in fact am getting stronger imo on this one. And it is not the media that is doing it to me as I dismiss most of the hype. Jmo.

Surely you understand some distinctions you seem to be missing or there are facts and laws you are ignoring. While entitled to your opinion and mine often does not lean the way it does in this case, believe it or not, you are trying to make things fit what you want to believe. Everything that has come out is just more damning on these three. As with the law, you are ignoring key points. I posted the trespassing law above for Georgia and to our knowledge, no one ever requested he leave nor told him to get out, he was not chased by the homeowner, trespassing is a misdemeanor and first he has to be shown to be trespassing even then (and so much more that could be said on that). The homeowner with all of the entries by all sorts of people never reported a theft or damage to his property that we know of. If you are open to reading things that do not support your opinion, this one is a bit dated but is from a defense attorney with 25 years' experience (not prosecution) in Georgia and her opinion--

I also suggest you watch the uncut video a few more times without trying to make it fit your beliefs and the link is also in this article, that is where I encountered it today. He has a man in the pickup bed with a gun and goes to the right and tries to go around both and the one on the left side is there and he was shot and would have been in his split he had instant to decide what to do or die. I have listened and watched more than once. I could even say a lot more.

He was not running at an escape pace when the vehicle following him was following him. He was at a normal pace imo.

Now please provide your link of otherwise and that he ran from the home he was in after being seen and ran because he knew he was in trouble??

And who ever told us it was a law to stop or run and get shot in the back if a bunch of citizens who are not cops nor in a cop car challenge you or tell you to stop with firearms. While old school citizen's arrests may be on the books, as the woman says in the article I post below, they were created for shop owners to detain shoplifters (and that is stealing!) not to shoot them if they can't detain them. While it may apply to some other situations, there are strict rules. This case does not apply, they had no such right imo.

As for calling anyone childish, you are trying to tell people what you believe is right and everyone else is wrong and the facts do not support it thus far in any way, shape or form. Your opinion is in the minority. If you can produce anything to change it, I am open minded. With all due respect for differing opinions.

Here is the link to the defense attorney and then the video. *Edited to fix typos.

I'm not ignoring any facts here. As I said earlier(more than once), I agree this is not a clear-cut case and is open to different perspectives. I also agree it was ill-advised for the McMichaels to have pursued him as they did, and certainly to brandish the shotgun. You need to keep in mind that the only facts and perspective offered so far have been those which the media have allowed you to hear.

Again, Arbery wasn't shot because he trespassed or because he refused to stop. That would be an entirely different story. He was shot because he ATTACKED THEM.

I'm not saying everyone else is wrong. Again, there's valid opinions being expressed on both sides. And I'm not quick to call one's opinion childish, but to compare a Girl Scout selling cookies at the door to repeated acts of trespassing... c'mon. That's obviously fallacious and Dupree knows as much.

I have worked in a job that saw construction thefts. They generally were a rural property, someone comes in with a pickup truck or trailer at night and takes delivered materials like roofing shingles, 2x4s, or whatever... As others say, hand tools are not left in an unlocked open house. We know of NO thefts reported. The job I talked about there was a common denominator and a thought that was pretty certain of who or some who were doing such thefts but not enough to arrest EVEN by LE much less the homeowners and this case was not the homeowners and NO THEFTS were reported. This guy went in, maybe wrong to do so, in broad daylight with no vehicle, never damaged anything, had nothing to hold anything if there was anything to steal, etc. I feel it is basically indefensible as the facts stand now as to what the 3 men did and how they reacted.
I've worked around construction over half of my life now. Part of the end of day procedure is making sure that trades didn't leave a mess behind, including their tools. The office I worked in was in the subdivision we were buiding and you woudn't believe how many people are just plain curious and come have a look through. If it's in an already established neighborhood, you get the normal walkers taking a look just to see what progress was being made and to see new things builders are doing now compared to when their house was built. That by itself sold a few, too. It's another reason why it is a good idea to keep the site cleaned up each day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawn Honner
Back