THIS JUST IN ~ CURRENT NEWS STORIES

breaking-news-background-planet-260nw-667420906.jpg

ONGOING CRIME BREAKING NEWS!

Starting in January 2020, this thread is about the news as it breaks!

Bernard Madoff says he is dying and is asking a judge for compassionate release from prison, where he is serving 150 years for orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, according to a Wednesday federal court filing.

Madoff, 81, has terminal kidney failure and a life expectancy of less than 18 months. When the court sentenced him, “it was clear that Madoff’s 150-year prison sentence was symbolic for three reasons: retribution, deterrence, and for the victims,” the court filing states. “This Court must now consider whether keeping Madoff incarcerated … is truly in furtherance of statutory sentencing goals and our society’s value and understanding of compassion.”

Madoff said in the request for compassionate release that he “does not dispute the severity of his crimes.”

IMO- stay in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very lucky if ya ask me, and I sure HOPE THEY KNOW THAT, I agree. This is no more funny than throwing something like a rock or boulder from an overpass, what did they think could happen?? It sounds like her family has shown some forgiveness and I suppose that had an effect.

A couple returning to Rochester from Florida had a boulder dropped on their car from an overpass. One of them was killed, I believe the wife. I don't think anyone was caught for it.

2 dead, 14 wounded in mass shooting in Rochester, New York

There are two people dead and at least 14 others injured following a mass shooting at a backyard party in Rochester, New York, overnight, according to the Rochester Police Department.

The shooting took place on Pennsylvania Avenue around 12:25 a.m. ET, according to authorities. <snip>

2 dead, 14 wounded in mass shooting in Rochester, New York

There are two people dead and at least 14 others injured following a mass shooting at a backyard party in Rochester, New York, overnight, according to the Rochester Police Department.

The shooting took place on Pennsylvania Avenue around 12:25 a.m. ET, according to authorities. <snip>

I just saw that on the morning briefing.

reported vs calling 911 though
True, but that's the number I would call if at night or the one I would know to call. At least in my case I would not know another number in that situation nor know how to look it up and that's if one even knew what jurisdiction they were in.

Believe me, I am not defending him, that just does not strike me as odd for any report, even a deer if one is the type to report it. If I had a fender bender on Main Street, I would call 911. What is it you are you thinking? That he hoped it would get help out there for the guy? That crossed my mind but a deer hit with the driver fine and gone home is not going to pull any medical assistance so that's not it. Different scenarios cross my mind...

I don't know, 911, this way it is recorded and he can prove a time and his voice will be on it I guess. Covering his rear is what I come back to... And getting on record "it was a deer" and that he was responsible AND called...?

True, but that's the number I would call if at night or the one I would know to call. At least in my case I would not know another number in that situation nor know how to look it up and that's if one even knew what jurisdiction they were in.

Believe me, I am not defending him, that just does not strike me as odd for any report, even a deer if one is the type to report it. If I had a fender bender on Main Street, I would call 911. What is it you are you thinking? That he hoped it would get help out there for the guy? That crossed my mind but a deer hit with the driver fine and gone home is not going to pull any medical assistance so that's not it. Different scenarios cross my mind...

I don't know, 911, this way it is recorded and he can prove a time and his voice will be on it I guess. Covering his rear is what I come back to... And getting on record "it was a deer" and that he was responsible AND called...?

I'd call 911 because when I called my insurance company and told them I'd hit a deer. They'd say: Prove it.

I'd call 911 because when I called my insurance company and told them I'd hit a deer. They'd say: Prove it.
And don't do anything to it nor wash it. A good adjuster will look for deer hair to be sure it was not something like you hit your own garage door. (People try that lol as comp is better coverage and no to lower deductible than collision generally)...

they can tell if they do their job properly. Most places would prefer you not to call 911 if there is no emergency. Hitting a deer on the back roads and you and your vehicle are fine and there is no dead deer blocking the roads is not an emergency in any way.

I don't think this article is a repeat here but it could be, if so I apologize. It is WELL worth reading. This entire thing is hinky. HE also found the dead man the next day, used the sheriff's car and more... At that point the 911 call was not confirmed, etc...

You know, i get freedom of speech and expression and being PC and all but it is getting ridiculous.... And only seems to work in one direction, others are never to say what they think or they are judgmental. What child should have to go to school and deal with seeing what their nightmares probably resemble at a young age?

I read it and even understand that once a kid maybe gets to know him all is okay and he is awesome and that it teaches them to not judge... I can almost get on board with that and actually probably could depending but I also can understand the parents and the child...

I don't know what the answer is and am not sure what I think but I am just saying I can see it from both directions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back