THIS JUST IN ~ CURRENT NEWS STORIES

breaking-news-background-planet-260nw-667420906.jpg

ONGOING CRIME BREAKING NEWS!

Starting in January 2020, this thread is about the news as it breaks!

Bernard Madoff says he is dying and is asking a judge for compassionate release from prison, where he is serving 150 years for orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, according to a Wednesday federal court filing.

Madoff, 81, has terminal kidney failure and a life expectancy of less than 18 months. When the court sentenced him, “it was clear that Madoff’s 150-year prison sentence was symbolic for three reasons: retribution, deterrence, and for the victims,” the court filing states. “This Court must now consider whether keeping Madoff incarcerated … is truly in furtherance of statutory sentencing goals and our society’s value and understanding of compassion.”

Madoff said in the request for compassionate release that he “does not dispute the severity of his crimes.”

IMO- stay in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many followed Allyson's case in Oregon before we lost it. We don't have a thread for her now but just wanted to update...
She was the one who was "hiking" but not really hiking with her boyfriend. Boyfriend woke up in the back of somebody's truck? She was gone.

Sheriff: Body believed to be of Allyson Watterson found in North Plains

The body believed to be Allyson Watterson was found in a rural area of North Plains, according to Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies were called to the 15800 block of Northwest Corey Road in unincorporated area of North Plains just before 5 p.m. Saturday where a property owner was clearing brush when they discovered what they believe were human remains.

Based on the location of the remains and evidence found at the scene, detectives suspect the remains are those of Allyson Watterson, deputies said.

1592792843711.png

Woman who confessed to killing her 9-year-old son pushed him into a canal in Florida, affidavit says
By Amir Vera and Hollie Silverman, CNN
Updated 2:27 AM EDT, Sun May 24, 2020

A woman claimed her 9-year-old son was abducted. Now she's charged with his murder

"Patricia Ripley, 45, initially told Miami-Dade Police that two men side-swiped her car while she was driving with her son, Alejandro Ripley, around 9 p.m. Thursday, officials said.

She said the men demanded drugs and abducted her son, who has autism and is nonverbal, authorities said.

Contradicting witness statements and video footage later surfaced, and she admitted to her son's death.

"She stated he's going to be in a better place," the Miami-Dade County Police said in the affidavit.

Ripley was arrested and charged with with first-degree murder and first-degree premeditated attempted murder, according to the affidavit."

A woman claimed her 9-year-old son was abducted. Now she's charged with his murder

MIAMI (AP) — A Miami woman accused of drowning her 9-year-old autistic son in a canal pleaded not guilty to murder charges at a Friday hearing.

Just shaking my head here :shakinghead: ... Hello woman... you obviously ARE guilty! Perhaps they should have rephrased it and asked if she was guilty of, sending her son "to a better place" by means of murder? Some people 🙄....

MIAMI (AP) — A Miami woman accused of drowning her 9-year-old autistic son in a canal pleaded not guilty to murder charges at a Friday hearing.

Just shaking my head here :shakinghead: ... Hello woman... you obviously ARE guilty! Perhaps they should have rephrased it and asked if she was guilty of, sending her son "to a better place" by means of murder? Some people 🙄....

Well ya know they know they are screwed either way so what do they have to lose. The can sit in county at taxpayer expense and at that same expense go through a long, long trial phase and unlikely but maybe as people forget or one rogue juror they just might get off. It makes me irate. Admit it, face your punishment and at least do that for your child! Not at all in the system but our system makes me sick! All delays do is help the defendant. Memories fade, witnesses die, it clogs up the legal calendars, it has gotten ridiculous. By the time some things get to trial, no one even remembers the case. JMHO.

Well ya know they know they are screwed either way so what do they have to lose. The can sit in county at taxpayer expense and at that same expense go through a long, long trial phase and unlikely but maybe as people forget or one rogue juror they just might get off. It makes me irate. Admit it, face your punishment and at least do that for your child! Not at all in the system but our system makes me sick! All delays do is help the defendant. Memories fade, witnesses die, it clogs up the legal calendars, it has gotten ridiculous. By the time some things get to trial, no one even remembers the case. JMHO.
I mean as far as civilians, not the attorneys. Regardless what does she have to lose? Gets her more time in county before prison.... Real stand-up person right?

I mean as far as civilians, not the attorneys. Regardless what does she have to lose? Gets her more time in county before prison.... Real stand-up person right?
I'm not sure what the plea deal was but typically a plea deal has the potential to take the death penalty off the table.. so perhaps the only thing she had to lose was her own life 🤷‍♀️.. This is speculation, I'll have to look into it a little more to see if that was the case here.

Heading for bed but this is something I could share a story on my first encounter with buffalo. They are a wild animal and humans would do well to remember that. We got charged because of a tourist with a camera up too close to the group of buffalo and it sure was not us, we were a long distance away. Luck to be alive honestly one of my closest encounters with death in my life by probably a millisecond. We were in a national part in another state. The parks are not zoos who domesticate the animals, they are free ranging WILD animals. You do not approach how close for a picture. These are not like corn fed deer from someone's back door step, etc. They are not domesticated. I hate sounding so strong but we were about killed by others who seemed to think they were at like an all natural zoo... Almost right up in their faces no less with children, trying to get pictures up close and big boy got majorly PO'd. Good night all.

Heading for bed but this is something I could share a story on my first encounter with buffalo. They are a wild animal and humans would do well to remember that. We got charged because of a tourist with a camera up too close to the group of buffalo and it sure was not us, we were a long distance away. Luck to be alive honestly one of my closest encounters with death in my life by probably a millisecond. We were in a national part in another state. The parks are not zoos who domesticate the animals, they are free ranging WILD animals. You do not approach how close for a picture. These are not like corn fed deer from someone's back door step, etc. They are not domesticated. I hate sounding so strong but we were about killed by others who seemed to think they were at like an all natural zoo... Almost right up in their faces no less with children, trying to get pictures up close and big boy got majorly PO'd. Good night all.

A friend of mine works at Yellowstone over the summer. His job is to stand on the road and keep idiots from approaching the bears. He had one grandmother and her grandkids say that they just wanted to get close enough for one picture.

that's what zoom lenses are for, people!

A friend of mine works at Yellowstone over the summer. His job is to stand on the road and keep idiots from approaching the bears. He had one grandmother and her grandkids say that they just wanted to get close enough for one picture.

Their last picture, I suppose. Many people seem to think that National Parks are Disney World.🤨

Wow, there is a job just for that? I suppose. I sure have seen it. That is about how it was with the buffalo. The buffalo were not approaching the people, the people were walking out to them a fair distance away until close, probably 3/4 of the tourists there!

I did not mean to sound cold, I realized I never said that I hope this woman ends up all right and I do hope that. I also can see how people who do not know can think such a preserve or national park makes animals more people aware or friendly but it isn't the case in my experience whatsoever. Yellowstone certainly is wide open wilderness with wild animals, is it not?

Do we have a Jefferey Epstein thread?

I thought we did but it may have been at the old place. Might be one in the political area but I don't go in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back